Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Jestery posted:

The versions of these in my head will only lead me to disappointment

I hope they don't remake Clue. The original is basically perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently they've also been working on new movies based on Monopoly, Clue, Beyblade, Furby and Play-Doh, plus many many more.

Now that the latest iteration is out of the public eye, they should do a horror movie about Furby.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
The real reason Furbies were banned from the Pentagon!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RandomFerret posted:

I loved Rampage. I put a hundred quarters into my local machine, I got my first job just so I could afford the nes game, when the remake came out I bought a Nintendo 64 just to play it, and until this post I had no idea that movie last year with The Rock in it had anything to do with the game

What, despite the monsters wrecking the city being a huge wolf, a huge lizard and a huge ape called George? The biggest change was that they started as animals instead of people.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

I love the :patriot: when they bring out the battleship.

And I love the badass cyborg.

And I also love that the aliens don't kill non-combatants.

I view the scene with the Missouri as the good type of Jingoism, if there can be such a type. If anyone deserves that sort of fanfare, it's the WWII generation, and that whole scene with them joining up with the main characters and getting the Missouri up and running is great.

I also appreciate that the aliens go out of their way to not hurt non-threats, even immediately stopping against threats that were attacking and began to retreat. It was nice to see that sort of attitude in an invasion movie.

MichiganCubbie has a new favorite as of 05:39 on Jan 10, 2020

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Croatoan posted:

Die Hard starring a 70 year old Frank Sinatra is a weird idea.
There was a contractual obligation but I think both sides knew it was a "just ask him and he'll say no" situation. Though I would like to see the parallel universe where Sinatra's brain told him "just say yes and then we won't have to do it" :v:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Jedit posted:

What, despite the monsters wrecking the city being a huge wolf, a huge lizard and a huge ape called George? The biggest change was that they started as animals instead of people.

I only ever saw the teaser and only the gorilla and the wolf were in it and the wolf wasn't even anthro man get off my dick

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rampage is a failure of a movie because it isn't about the Rock becoming even bigger and punching out a giant werewolf.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

MichiganCubbie posted:

This.

I don't know if they could get away with releasing alternate endings in different theaters today. I feel it would be spoiled too fast across the internet, probably before it even gets released.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I gut huge Clue vibes from the Knives Out trailer and was super stoked. It's very much not that but it's still good.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Croatoan posted:

I gut huge Clue vibes from the Knives Out trailer and was super stoked. It's very much not that but it's still good.

Yeah, same. There will apparently be another movie, sort of like a sequel, starring Craig as Benoit Blanc, handling another case. Frankly, I want a whole series of these. If they can make loving 27 Fast and Furious movies, they can at least make a few 'Slow and Curious' ones.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
SO...

...MUCH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8d8y4BLWtI

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We haven't even touched on all the movies currently in some stage of pre-production that are based on computer games. Larry Kasanoff (the producer behind True Lies, Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat: Annihilation and Foodfight!) announced back in 2016 that he was developing Tetris into a movie trilogy.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

This.

I don't know if they could get away with releasing alternate endings in different theaters today. I feel it would be spoiled too fast across the internet, probably before it even gets released.

By most accounts that's why Clue didn't do well in theaters. Nobody knew there was more than one ending and even then wouldn't want to watch the whole movie two more times to see them. It was a decent idea, but that movie wouldn't be over the top enough with only one ending at a time.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

They should have shown Little Shop with both endings in theaters. Imagine talking to someone about the plants winning.

Scratch that, they should have just stuck with Don't Feed the Plants. That ending is amazing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

Do they ever take a bland existing script and jazz it up with a weird tie in?

Starship Troopers.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gann Jerrod posted:

Now that the latest iteration is out of the public eye, they should do a horror movie about Furby.

?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

MichiganCubbie posted:

They should have shown Little Shop with both endings in theaters. Imagine talking to someone about the plants winning.

Scratch that, they should have just stuck with Don't Feed the Plants. That ending is amazing.

How much money did they spend to film the ending that was never shown in theaters?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Beachcomber posted:

Battleship is a pretty fun movie and is actually kind of thoughtful in how it portrays the enemy.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Rampage movie was super fun and a great kaiju movie.

Sure, but that's not my point. You pay extra for a license to attract more customers, and those licenses don't seem to have a useful demographic for that to work. Almost any other games would have worked better than those two. Tetris, Tic Tac Toe, even that weird origami thing you made when you were 10 with numbers written on tabs that told you who you'd marry - all better licenses to get more fans into a cinema.
I would have thought the Battleships license would have had the opposite effect.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

Aside from the licensing retention, Universal Studios got Peter Berg to direct Battleship in a quid pro quo deal where in return he got to do Lone Survivor.

Son of a bitch, for years I thought Battleship was one of Michael Bay's more watchable films

Now I guess there's just The Rock, and Pain and Gain

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

MichiganCubbie posted:

I have maintained that The Hateful Eight would have been amazing if right after Bruce Dern dies he turns into The Thing, and the rest of the movie is the humans trying to survive while fighting in a 1880s version of The Thing.

They have the soundtrack, the setting, the overall tone, a somewhat similar ending, there's a lot of The Thing in The Hateful Eight.

Holy poo poo that would have been fuckin amazing.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

MichiganCubbie posted:

Speaking of: Ready or Not, which is a pretty decent horror flick about a rich family who maybe made a deal with the devil to have a board game empire, features a house with secret hallways and is sort of a twisted extended Clue riff, even down to a lot of the weapons used.

(It also has maybe the most bonkers ending of a movie in 2019)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gromit posted:

Sure, but that's not my point. You pay extra for a license to attract more customers, and those licenses don't seem to have a useful demographic for that to work. Almost any other games would have worked better than those two. Tetris, Tic Tac Toe, even that weird origami thing you made when you were 10 with numbers written on tabs that told you who you'd marry - all better licenses to get more fans into a cinema.
I would have thought the Battleships license would have had the opposite effect.

Hollywood producers don't approach things from that angle though, I'm pretty sure their gameplan is "Movies based on IPs are the biggest thing in the world right now, therefore I need to buy up any IP that I can get my hands on and convince the backers to give me $$$$"

Like, it's not like someone ran a focus group and discovered that the public was crying out for a Trolls Dolls movie.

Edit: holy poo poo, the press release when Dreamworks bought the rights to Trolls :psyduck:

quote:

"Trolls is a brand with over fifty years of deep heritage and we are thrilled to bring this iconic, multi-generational property to DreamWorks Animation," said Chief Operating Officer Ann Daly. "We have big plans for this franchise and Shawn Dennis is uniquely suited to lead this charge. She helped grow the American Girl brand into a household name and by bringing this expertise to Trolls she will introduce these characters to legions of new fans around the world."

"Trolls is one of those rare, proven and universally adored brands," added Dennis. "There is incredible potential here to engage kids across multiple platforms in a way that is fun, enduring and meaningful. It is truly an amazing opportunity to be able to re-launch a brand like this one."

Dennis joined DreamWorks Animation to oversee its Trolls franchise in addition to other businesses within the company's vast portfolio of branded intellectual property. Dennis' extensive background in franchise management most recently saw her serve as Senior Vice President, Marketing, Product Development and Publishing at American Girl. Previously, Dennis served as group head and Vice President, Global Branding at Dell, Inc. and Chief Marketing Officer and Vice President for the National Football League, which followed eight years with MasterCard International and seven years at Universal Studios in a variety of roles.

"DreamWorks Animation is renowned for telling wonderful stories about imaginative worlds while bringing characters with universal appeal into the hearts and homes of families everywhere — I can think of no better future for Trolls," said Calle Ostergaard, Chief Executive Officer of Dam Things. "We are confident that the time-honored legend of the Trolls, which holds such special significance to the Dam family and the people of Scandanavia, will now live on in new and exciting ways with DreamWorks Animation."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Arrath posted:

Holy poo poo that would have been fuckin amazing.
Everyone would have rolled their eyes at Tarantino retreading From Dusk Till Dawn though. Plus I kinda think there's plenty enough of The Thing in Hateful Eight as it is.

You might even say... it's The Thing masquerading as something else.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Hollywood producers don't approach things from that angle though, I'm pretty sure their gameplan is "Movies based on IPs are the biggest thing in the world right now, therefore I need to buy up any IP that I can get my hands on and convince the backers to give me $$$$"

Like, it's not like someone ran a focus group and discovered that the public was crying out for a Trolls Dolls movie.
Edit: holy poo poo, the press release when Dreamworks bought the rights to Trolls :psyduck:

"Trolls is one of those rare, proven and universally adored brands," added Dennis. "There is incredible potential here to engage kids across multiple platforms in a way that is fun, enduring and meaningful. It is truly an amazing opportunity to be able to re-launch a brand like this one."

Wow. I mean, I know I'm out of touch with pop culture but I would have thought that Troll dolls appealed to weirdo early middle-aged women rather than any kids at all.

But I still feel that Battleships and Rampage are the last IPs you would buy to help sell a movie. Which just goes to show I have no future in Hollywood - Battleship "flopped" and only made $80m worldwide, and Rampage made a cool $300m. I think they both would have done the same without the IP, but obviously I can't prove that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hard to say, Rampage got me interested, and it ended up being basically the perfect modern B-movie quality that fit the games. Battleship, yeah, that was silly.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
As a mid twenties Aussie , I wasn't aware of rampage was an I'm untill this thread

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Japanese poster for Rampage was way better than what we got:

Funny side story, although not really a subtle movie moment: Uwe Boll directed a trilogy of movies with the title Rampage and got so pissed (kayfabe, anyway; I suspect he was trolling) when this other Rampage came out that he auctioned off a bunch of Rampage toys that he autographed and wrote furious little notes on.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

My favorite example of how insane a lot of these licensed choices are is the fact that most of you probably don't remember that there was a Playmobil movie that came out a month ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I do only because my nephew is at Playmobil age and when I was Christmas shopping I saw they had movie branded sets.

Outside of that I never saw an ad, commercial, nothing.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Wasn't the Playmobile movie the one I saw adds for that said they'd pay you to see the it?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gromit posted:

But I still feel that Battleships and Rampage are the last IPs you would buy to help sell a movie. Which just goes to show I have no future in Hollywood - Battleship "flopped" and only made $80m worldwide, and Rampage made a cool $300m. I think they both would have done the same without the IP, but obviously I can't prove that.

I think the difference is that The Rock starred in Rampage, not that Rampage was the better IP for a movie adaption.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Pastry of the Year posted:

The Japanese poster for Rampage was way better than what we got:

That is an amazing poster.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

rydiafan posted:

My favorite example of how insane a lot of these licensed choices are is the fact that most of you probably don't remember that there was a Playmobil movie that came out a month ago.

It's no wonder that it got absolutely buried, it opened two weeks after Frozen II. Apparently it had the third worst opening of any film playing on 2000+ screens in the US, the only other two films to do worse being The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure and Delgo.

Those two other films are legendarily poo poo-tastic so that is some amazing company for it to be keeping.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea The Rock is(was? is his time on top starting to wane?) one of the last true bankable movie stars. He was actually kinda like a dinosaur living in modern times for a while there, because he was putting out hit after hit while guys like Tom Cruise and Will Smith were starting to falter somewhat. I'm not exactly sure how much longer he can maintain it though, because I think cracks have begun to show. Skyscraper didn't do very well, and Hobbs and Shaw did fine but I have a feeling at about 750 million it was still a bit of a disappointment to the studio considering how much the last few F&F movies made.

But Rampage definitely wouldn't have been successful without The Rock's presence. It would've come and gone without anyone even realizing it was ever there, just like Battleship. Good luck finding someone on the street who knows Battleship even exists.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rampage was disappointing because it’s about animals being altered instead of humans drinking soda and becoming giant animals. None of the monsters shrunk down into being an awkward naked person when defeated.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

It's no wonder that it got absolutely buried, it opened two weeks after Frozen II. Apparently it had the third worst opening of any film playing on 2000+ screens in the US, the only other two films to do worse being The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure and Delgo.

Those two other films are legendarily poo poo-tastic so that is some amazing company for it to be keeping.

It also didn't help that it came out in Europe something like three months before its US release.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It also didn't help that it came out in Europe something like three months before its US release.

Also it couldn't find a distributor in the US until one company went "Oh yeah, we've had this idea about offering crappy kids films at Xmas for lower ticket prices so we've been waiting for some piece of poo poo no one cares about which we can use for that experiment. Advertising? Nah we'll just run some ads in the cinemas."
They didn't even try to hide it, they fuckin' bragged about it:

quote:

“For STXfilms, Playmobil is a no-risk opportunity that allowed the studio to collaborate with key exhibition partners to offer a holiday movie for kids and families,” the company said in a statement Sunday.

“Major exhibitors and regional chains were supportive about using a date traditionally not programmed with new first run movies and offering special variable pricing of $5 a ticket to experiment with the model and encourage and incentivize audiences to see the film, while allowing theaters to begin to explore value pricing for a first-run movie,” it said.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/12/08/playmobil-movie-bombs-at-box-office-hauls-in-less-than-1-million.html

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Yea The Rock is(was? is his time on top starting to wane?) one of the last true bankable movie stars. He was actually kinda like a dinosaur living in modern times for a while there, because he was putting out hit after hit while guys like Tom Cruise and Will Smith were starting to falter somewhat. I'm not exactly sure how much longer he can maintain it though, because I think cracks have begun to show. Skyscraper didn't do very well, and Hobbs and Shaw did fine but I have a feeling at about 750 million it was still a bit of a disappointment to the studio considering how much the last few F&F movies made.

But Rampage definitely wouldn't have been successful without The Rock's presence. It would've come and gone without anyone even realizing it was ever there, just like Battleship. Good luck finding someone on the street who knows Battleship even exists.

Jungle Cruise will be the test of that for him I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Jungle Cruise will be the test of that for him I guess.

Jumanji 3 did fine, somewhere around 600 million, but similar to Hobbs & Shaw, it was just fine. Nothing more nothing less. Whereas the first Jumanji sequel he did made a billion dollars.

He can continue to have a big movie career with those kind of numbers but it's not quite the same as being a top level A-lister along the lines of Arnold or Tom Cruise in their prime.