Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Odo is bad at his job for a changeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tighclops posted:

I'm excited for Brand! Are you excited for more Brand!? I remember brand from when I was young, and now this reminds me of brand. I know I can take it seriously as an adult because it's dark and that's how I know it's a grown-up thing. My Brand!

Seriously I feel like they've completely run the whole "federation has lost its way" angle completely into the dirt. Of course it's not impossible to tell a relevant story that way but at this point I'm just burned out on that poo poo. Blah blah rich people don't believe a better world is possible blah blah this is reflected in the media they produce blah blah gently caress everything

More like -

2001 - oh poo poo, 9/11 happened. Let’s try to be culturally relevant and make HARD CHOICES.

2004 - okay that didn’t go over well, let’s go back to more classic fun Trek (gets immediately canceled)

2009 - hey, we can make Trek again, but what if it was less boring and talky, and more Star Wars?

2017 - hey, Star Wars is popular again and so is Marvel. Let’s keep shooting guns at bad guys and keep up the pace otherwise our audience won’t look up from their phones

2025 - our investors tell us we need more :spock:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Sir Lemming posted:

That Picard synopsis is definitely not unsalvageable, but there's reason to be skeptical. There's no reason the Federation needs to be completely beyond scrutiny -- it never was -- but it'll be upsetting if they haven't at least partially course-corrected by the end of the season.

I'm holding out hope that the situation isn't as grim as it seems. This could just as easily be written as Starfleet still being Starfleet, there's a humanitarian crisis with a lot of political complications, and that has resulted in a current policy of "we're not getting involved." I feel like that has happened a fair amount of times already on TNG.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Hope is a lie, the only future is a howling void

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Your friendly commissar will tell you hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Going back to the jokey heist premise for Picard, I actually like the idea of an overly cautious and slow Starfleet Command (with a small but significant number of the admirals letting the disaster settle the score for them with the Romulans) creating a refugee crisis that disgusts Picard so much he calls in some favors, gets together a motley crew, and does what he can to help, only to discover things he wasn't meant to know while doing this. And is anyone sentient alive less able to resist a mystery than Jean-Luc Picard, and can he keep his ragtag band of unlikely compatriots on the right track and from each others' throats?

Boom, season 1 right there without getting all grimdark. (Unless the mystery is bullshit like Starfleet borgifying crew and ships to test their effectiveness on long missions or some such.)

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

People give Quark too much poo poo for that incident imo. He just wanted to sell a piece of stolen art. No way he could have known this was a strike team going after Jadzia.

Isn't the Quark issue from 'Invasive Procedures', where Quark lets a group of terrorists including Klingon Tuvok onto the station so they can steal Dax from Jazdia to give to a Trill who wasn't good enough to be joined?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Zaroff posted:

Isn't the Quark issue from 'Invasive Procedures', where Quark lets a group of terrorists including Klingon Tuvok onto the station so they can steal Dax from Jazdia to give to a Trill who wasn't good enough to be joined?

He thought he was letting them on to buy a questionably sourced cultural artifact when most Starfleet Security personnel would be gone and Odo would be busy. He's as surprised as everyone else when they pull out a gun

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I'm holding out hope that the situation isn't as grim as it seems. This could just as easily be written as Starfleet still being Starfleet, there's a humanitarian crisis with a lot of political complications, and that has resulted in a current policy of "we're not getting involved." I feel like that has happened a fair amount of times already on TNG.

The Prime Directive could easily be trotted out every time Starfleet brass thinks, "Maybe we shouldn't get involved."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Quark also sold weapons to the Maquis and worked as an arms dealer, neither of which landed him in prison somehow

Veeta
Dec 23, 2011

... καὶ ὡς ὑπὸ βελῶν τοῖς σοῖς κατατρωθήσονται ῥήμασιν.
Quark never getting in any long-term trouble for letting the group that temporarily stole the Dax symbiont on to the station is the one that sticks in my mind, though I guess the reason is that it occurred in season ... one, I think? While the show was still finding its feet and things were a lot less serialised.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Quark also sold weapons to the Maquis and worked as an arms dealer, neither of which landed him in prison somehow

Knowing how much he's disappointed Odo is punishment enough.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Veeta posted:

Quark never getting in any long-term trouble for letting the group that temporarily stole the Dax symbiont on to the station is the one that sticks in my mind, though I guess the reason is that it occurred in season ... one, I think? While the show was still finding its feet and things were a lot less serialised.

I think I read somewhere, probably Memory Alpha, that the powers that be were unsatisfied with that episode because they thought Quark got off way too easy for selling out Dax.

A more characteristic episode (for both Quark and for DS9) was the arms dealing one, where Quark felt stabs of conscience (and didn't like the fact that Dax was pissed at him) and voluntarily quit selling weapons.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I think they mentioned that what he was doing in the station wasn't technically illegal, just very immoral and illegal adjacent. He was showing potential buyers a good time and displaying wares in the holodeck. The exchanges happened in deep space and he wasn't a direct party to that. According to federation law he was fine, they had to threaten him with no leniency for the slightest technical infraction from now on to get him to stop. Like getting Al Capone on tax evasion.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And poor garak is just a simple tailor!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I think they mentioned that what he was doing in the station wasn't technically illegal, just very immoral and illegal adjacent. He was showing potential buyers a good time and displaying wares in the holodeck. The exchanges happened in deep space and he wasn't a direct party to that. According to federation law he was fine, they had to threaten him with no leniency for the slightest technical infraction from now on to get him to stop. Like getting Al Capone on tax evasion.

Wasn't it that Federation law had no bearing because it was a Bajoran station and the Bajorians felt indebted to the arms dealer dude for giving them weapons when no one else was during the occupation?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Admiralty Flag posted:

Your friendly commissar will tell you hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Going back to the jokey heist premise for Picard, I actually like the idea of an overly cautious and slow Starfleet Command (with a small but significant number of the admirals letting the disaster settle the score for them with the Romulans) creating a refugee crisis that disgusts Picard so much he calls in some favors, gets together a motley crew, and does what he can to help, only to discover things he wasn't meant to know while doing this. And is anyone sentient alive less able to resist a mystery than Jean-Luc Picard, and can he keep his ragtag band of unlikely compatriots on the right track and from each others' throats?

Boom, season 1 right there without getting all grimdark. (Unless the mystery is bullshit like Starfleet borgifying crew and ships to test their effectiveness on long missions or some such.)

What's the joke? Because this seems to be the exact premise of the show from what I can tell.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Veeta posted:

Quark did help the Resitance in a way too, even if it was for personal profit. So must have given him some lenience for what he did later.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

First Star Trek Picard Short Trek is out! Set about halfway between Nemesis and Picard, it's about two young classmates on mars surviving during a sudden attack on the planet.

Not much is said, but the attack on the planet is mentioned to be done by 'rogue synths'. I assume synths are the mass produced Data-style androids we've briefly seen in other trailers. Could help explain more how Data or Data's memory fits into the series plot. Did the Federation decide to flip on its Measure of a Man decision and mass-produce slaves for easy labor and some are rebelling?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gotta call in the Orz to deal with the Androsynth.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MikeJF posted:

First Star Trek Picard Short Trek is out! Set about halfway between Nemesis and Picard, it's about two young classmates on mars surviving during a sudden attack on the planet.

Not much is said, but the attack on the planet is mentioned to be done by 'rogue synths'. I assume synths are the mass produced Data-style androids we've briefly seen in other trailers. Could help explain more how Data or Data's memory fits into the series plot. Did the Federation decide to flip on its Measure of a Man decision and mass-produce slaves for easy labor and some are rebelling?

I haven’t seen it yet but I wonder if the term synth is also applied to Hugh’s collective of free Borg given how some people may not see them as their respective species anymore.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

Regarding the redacted text, could have been built or marketed by someone else. Harry Mudd was selling robot women and the Ferengi certainly would have no problem with it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Is Picard getting its own thread like Discovery has?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Pick posted:

Odo is bad at his job for a changeling.

Who said changelings are good at jobs? Most of them don't even have jobs, they're just amorphous goo hanging out in a pond feeding off of more adventurous changelings' memories while their slave armada procures any necessary resources and assaults all other civilizations.

It's a miracle that Odo managed to work his way up from test tube curiosity to chief of police, and I'm not sure where that fits in between the Cardassian Central Command's plans to grind up Bajorans in the mines and Dukat's personal plans to use his position of power to gently caress as many able-bodied women as possible, as well his alleged attempts to reduce the damage to the Bajorans that Central Command intended.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's a soft reboot of Space: Above and Beyond

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Arglebargle III posted:

It's a soft reboot of Space: Above and Beyond

I would kill for that.
loving chigs man.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Thom12255 posted:

You could............. make it so. :mmmsmug:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Who said changelings are good at jobs? Most of them don't even have jobs, they're just amorphous goo hanging out in a pond feeding off of more adventurous changelings' memories while their slave armada procures any necessary resources and assaults all other civilizations.

Presumably they had to put a lot of work in to engineer those slave races in the first place.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Animal-Mother posted:

You could............. make it so. :mmmsmug:

post it somewhere weird. get freaky with it

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

oh but seriously I posted:

post it somewhere weird. get freaky with it

I vote Cycle Asylum

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Quark never actually sold weapons. He sold the Vulcan Maquis a name, and he provided the evil human arms dealer a showroom for a cut of offsite sales occurring in non federation space

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Thom12255 posted:

I was thinking of just starting a new catch-all thread for all currently-in-production Treks (Picard, Disco, Short Treks, Lower Decks) with a new OP in time for the Picard premiere.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

MikeJF posted:

My theory is they are using nonsentient Data-like androids that have somehow been hacked by the Romulans to destroy that armada Starfleet is building in the prequel comic. That is what the Romulans are up to on that Borg cube: reverse engineering Borg tech to weaponize enemies' AI against them.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Like getting Al Capone on tax evasion.

I guess I forgot all about the episode with Artificial Intelligence Capone.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Watching Descent Part II and holy poo poo is Beverly a badass acting captain. No hesitation, decisive, yet stays composed even when they're parked in the photosphere of a sun.

Way better suited than Riker, who has zero chill when he's in charge and just yells at everyone. It's not just his own deliberate self-sandbagging that explains why he doesn't have a command yet.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Laterite posted:

Watching Descent Part II and holy poo poo is Beverly a badass acting captain. No hesitation, decisive, yet stays composed even when they're parked in the photosphere of a sun.

Way better suited than Riker, who has zero chill when he's in charge and just yells at everyone. It's not just his own deliberate self-sandbagging that explains why he doesn't have a command yet.

That was like the most sedate action sequence in all of Star Trek

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Laterite posted:

I’ve said it before but they really should have switched Crusher and Geordi’s roles. She excels in episodes that give her problems to work out and leadership type stuff to do, and LeVar Burton is one of the most charismatic actors around when he isn’t forced to play Data’s sidekick. He’d have played an excellent CMO.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
One of the more interesting things about Descent (okay the only interesting thing) was that they seriously considered crashing the Enterprise at the end of part one, with the possibility of either Crusher or Troi dying, since I think both McFadden’s and Sirtis’s contracts were up at the end of season 6.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Admiralty Flag posted:

FTFY. (Though I think Stewart was just a horn dog who swept in on every attractive guest star, not that he demanded actors like Hetrick get cast just so he could creep on them specifically.)

I'm not going to claim that Stewart specifically demanded more hot co-stars, but he is quoted by multiple people as having said "the captain needs to be doing more screwing and shooting on this show."

HD DAD posted:

2004 - okay that didn’t go over well, let’s go back to more classic fun Trek (gets immediately canceled)

They were already a dead series by the time the fourth season started.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve said it before but they really should have switched Crusher and Geordi’s roles. She excels in episodes that give her problems to work out and leadership type stuff to do, and LeVar Burton is one of the most charismatic actors around when he isn’t forced to play Data’s sidekick. He’d have played an excellent CMO.

I'm not sure how that would have worked, since Geordi wasn't originally in a leadership role, although having the surgeon be the guy with the super-vision would make sense in its own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drink-Mix Man posted:

That was like the most sedate action sequence in all of Star Trek

I still think Rascals has the most bizarre tonal dissonance, where the direction and music are all "huh, looks like we've got a problem here" but the actual words are "holy poo poo like half the lower decks just exploded, we're loving dying"