Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wamsutta posted:

In other news, ETID hop into the studio with Will Putney after they get back from this next tour and recording their 9th studio album. All praise due the GOAT gently caress I can’t wait for that tape
9-day tour, but goddamn I'm the same and I cannot loving wait for their next effort. I liked Low Teens so much that I actually broke my "No Physical records" rule and went out to buy it. I'm trying to control my anticipation because Low Teens was just... so drat good. Like it made me want to copy their guitar sound even more, despite my old Marshall head being, well, old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Listened to the new TAS album twice today and couldn't tell you two details about it. They've clearly wanted to move in this direction though, so good for them for grouping all the songs into an easily skipped package. Hopefully next year's will be the fan service album we're looking for

https://lambgoat.com/news/32508/Bring-Me-The-Horizon-to-release-new-EP-tomorrow

Maybe BMTH's surprise EP will be better

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For a moment, I thought they were going to collaborate with equal parts awesome and goofy rapper Lotus Juice. Alas, just wishful thinking. :(

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Here's an interview Vincent gave on the new release:

https://www.decibelmagazine.com/2019/12/26/interview-acacia-strain-vocalist-vincent-bennett-discusses-new-album-it-comes-in-waves/

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

First 20min of the new BMTH is weird and cool and very not -core. Looking forward to listening to the rest tomorrow.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

XIII posted:

First 20min of the new BMTH is weird and cool and very not -core. Looking forward to listening to the rest tomorrow.

i was expecting something super short and this thing is 75 minutes long wtf

e: i made it up to the beginning of the 24 minute song and gave up. not my thing but i'll probably come back and finish it at some point

liked amo a lot better

kumba fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Dec 27, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kumba posted:

i was expecting something super short and this thing is 75 minutes long wtf
I think Oli was punking us all when he made the comment about "Records being a loving chore to write and he'd rather just do singles" or something like that.

That or he changed his mind, the handsome little fuckface that he is.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
https://twitter.com/lambgoat/status/1212771056638808064?s=20
Let's fuckin goooo

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
are we still doing these cause if so here's mine

Top 10 Albums 2019:

10. Royal Coda - Compassion
9. Thank You Scientist - Terraformer
8. Blut Aus Nord - Hallucinogen
7. Cattle Decapitation - Death Atlas
6. Leprous - Pitfalls
5. Devin Townsend - Empath
4. Obsequiae - The Palms of Sorrowed Kings
3. Periphery - IV: HAIL STAN
2. Pathogenic - Pathogenic
1. Fit For An Autopsy - The Sea of Tragic Beasts

Honorable Mentions:
Alcest - Spiritual Instinct
Shrezzers - Relationships
Car Bomb - Mordial
Eye of the Enemy - Titan
The Odious - Vesica Piscis
Counterparts - Nothing Left to Love
Blood Incantation - Hidden History of the Human Race

Favorite EP:
Wolf & Bear - EP

Favorite non-metal/metal-adjacent thing:
Hozier - Wasteland, Baby!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I really really want to like Thank You Scientist (they used to play shows in my basement) but I just can't hear anything but "Rx Bandits b-sides with Claudio from Coheed singing" :(

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
https://twitter.com/joshgrabelle/status/1212842783389687812?s=21
‪That’s extremely rich coming from a guy who was a depressing headline factory throughout the rise of metalcore.

Good list, kumba. Thanks for sharing. Gonna go replay some of your picks that I might’ve slept on.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, at least it's not Tony Brummel. :v:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Man, how has noone talked about this new project from TDEP Ben W, plus Demitri (original vocalist)?

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2842788082474296

I'm not gonna pay for his patreon, but I'll def be buying whatever this is once it's done.

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
FATA for furnace fest please and thanks

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

my albums of the 2019
  • The Battle of Yaldabaoth - Infant Annihilator (no brainer. i was worried about their follow-up to EGG but this album pushes the envelope of heavy music in so many awesome ways. no fucks given if it's impossible to do live)
  • Die on Mars - Callous Daoboys (this poo poo absolutely blew me away and came out of nowhere. i learned about it thanks to this thread and turned a bunch of my friends onto it as well. even friends who aren't into new stuff. CB blends all the old styles of chaotic hardcore flawlessly. Ed Gein, Daughters, Dillinger Escape Plan, Number 12, etc)
  • Machina Non Grata - Last Ten Seconds of Life (used to really not gently caress with these guys whatsoever, but this album surprised the hell out of me blending just the right amount of deathcore and numetal)
  • Mob Justice - Vulvodynia (Psychosadistic Design is my preferred album, but you could argue their latest is "better." the production is super clean for slam but still brutal, you can tell they're trying to "grow up" here)
  • In Darkness - Varials (speaking of "growing up" these guys suddenly started listening to Deftones and cranked out a cool numetalcore/slipknot-core banger)
  • Absolute - Kublai Khan (listen to this at the gym. always. you'll get stronger)
  • Adore - Numonorean (surprised myself by listening to this a bunch more than i thought i would. rare when black metal and metalcore actually work. this stands way above the rest)
  • Muladona - Rorcal (not sure if this is straight up black metal or some variation of, but the concept of having a novelist narrate over crushing black metal adds such a rich ambiance to this and conjures nightmare imagery)
  • Our Bones - Contortionist (i should have an EP section but screw it -- short and sweet, but the contortionist can do no wrong and these tracks are beautiful)
  • The Burden of Purpose - Caged Existence (another EP to round out the list, female-fronted metalcore in the vein of giants like Arkangel and Heaven Shall Burn. this rules)

my songs of the 2019 click for YouTube

Parachute
May 18, 2003
that kublai khan record smokes - the vocalist has that raspy barney greenway thing going on and their sound is just crushing. semi-related, i want to create a preworkout called "boomslang"

and when i listen to that daoboys records and i get to the last track w/ the prayer line and stop i think "i bet shoogaslim stops here, too". i knew i was going to like that record when i played it for my wife and she goes "what are we in 11th grade?". she is very succinct with her burns

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I dread to think what her burns on Every Time I Die would be. :ohdear:

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Parachute posted:

i want to create a preworkout called "boomslang"

brilliant

quote:

and when i listen to that daoboys records and i get to the last track w/ the prayer line and stop i think "i bet shoogaslim stops here, too". i knew i was going to like that record when i played it for my wife and she goes "what are we in 11th grade?". she is very succinct with her burns

my maturity level never even progressed to the 11th grade so touche. that prayer part is creepy enough for me to power through, it's oddly enthralling like the end of 3750 with the televangelist going on and on.

speaking of TAS.. i'm a loving loser and actually really like the EP/1-song thing. don't ever listen to me

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

That's how I feel about it, at first I was like 'well this is... different' and then I listened to it a bunch of times walking my dog and poo poo and I was like 'actually this is cool'

still more excited about their next one tho

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The "1, 2, 3, DO IT" intro of High Hopes is my favorite ign'ant Kublai Khan moment and I can't get enough of it.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

XIII posted:

The "1, 2, 3, DO IT" intro of High Hopes is my favorite ign'ant Kublai Khan moment and I can't get enough of it.

High Hopes is my favorite Kublai Khan TX song, it rips so loving hard

Absolute was my gym jam this morning

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I know it was released in 2018 but the Currents EP is simply flawless.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I listened to Kublai Khan AND Currents at the gym today, so

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

XIII posted:

I listened to Kublai Khan AND Currents at the gym today, so
You're chadding it up right now, aren't you?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wark Say posted:

You're chadding it up right now, aren't you?

Right now and forever

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress yeah. :hfive: my fellow chadcore enthusiast.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Wark Say posted:

chadding it up

but also...

Wikipedia posted:

Within the manosphere, Chads are viewed as constituting the top decile in terms of genetic fitness. Chads are sometimes portrayed as the opposite to omega or beta males, are portrayed as aesthetically attractive and the term Chad is sometimes used interchangeably with slayer.

idk what the gently caress a manosphere is but something tells me i should stay far away

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

XIII posted:

Another S-tier "DO IT!" in this tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iNHL4Gp76c

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

my albums of the 2019

Whoa! AotY effort post from shooga? I love to see it. This is a very good list. Gonna replay a few of these that I mighta slept on as well. (Since there's nothing new coming out this month anyway.) I love reading these posts. Everyone should think of doing one for 2020. I just keep a list in the Notes app on my phone of every new release I listen to that I liked at least a little and then go back through it at the end of the year and replay anything I forgot.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Beelzebozo posted:

Whoa! AotY effort post from shooga? I love to see it.

thanks bud :) i hesitated to put in the :effort: but it was fun and challenging to round out the list

i'd say def check out caged existence and numonorean for some stuff a little more varied than the usual shares in this thread

e: my method, for the most part, is to create a playlist on Spotify (or whatever you use) for all the music that comes out that year and reference it at the end. that and spotify end-of-year stuff (despite its incompleteness) and last.fm scrobbles.

been doing the playlist thing for a few years now, if you give a poo poo, here are some links:
2017 - 778 songs
2018 - 351 songs (I slacked)
2019 - 746 songs

ShoogaSlim fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 6, 2020

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So yeah, HYPERMANIA lived up to the hype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33BblvqmwLc

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 8, 2020

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

wandler20 posted:

So yeah, HYPERMANIA lived up to the hype.

gently caress yes let's go. I came around on the first single after a while, but this is more like it. Reminds me of Snapcase in the best possible way.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Spotify threw a band called Proposal at me this morning who are a Ghost Inside/Counterparts style band from Australia. I dig 'em.

https://youtu.be/OHGsgj0FsFM

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Discovered a band called "Year of the Knife" and uhh it slams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijJRyn6O2GM

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

new PRESSURE CRACKS ep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVjQFQBGZjs

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Discovered this one on some Instagram breakdown page - pretty sick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxz5AeaGTbg

SchwarzeKrieg
Apr 15, 2009

:hellyeah: what do I have to do to convince them to tour so I can look at the posters on social media and say "hey neat I need to go to that" and then not go to that because I am old and don't leave my house ever?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
New Code Orange song.... https://codeorangekids.bandcamp.com/track/underneath?fbclid=IwAR3SLxqicIGMr6bV8_0EDnWbEzlp2wZv5TWDnUG8P6Ad3wTvuyi4ZV5nebE

....uh.....

Guess they ran out of Disemobided riffs to copy.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Code Orange loving suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
yeah that was........not enjoyable

i guess this goes here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlmOcXMilHs

this is the new band from old members of strapping young lad + devin townsend project, plus the vocalist from threat signal

i cringed at the first few seconds sounding like theory of a dead man or seether but the rest of the song wasn't actually half bad