Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm really glad they resolved the other major problem with the Bad Place, the very concept of infinite punishment in the first place. Part of me was worried they might not stick the landing on that bit for some reason.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Did you actually write it down or did you just scribble scrabble?

Man I am going to miss Jason's quotes when this show ends.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Major props to Niednoggle for working a Cybertruck billboard into Bad Janet's void as well.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arist posted:

I'm really glad they resolved the other major problem with the Bad Place, the very concept of infinite punishment in the first place. Part of me was worried they might not stick the landing on that bit for some reason.

They did it well because their first idea still incorporated that but it was explicitly their desperate plan they thought the bad place would be most likely to accept. When that failed they went for an idealized plan that rejects the concept of endless torture altogether.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Here's an interesting thought: demons were created for one purpose, which is to punish the wicked for their sins. However, while they are initially enthusiastic about their jobs, they eventually become bored and dissatisfied with performing the same punishments over and over again, as we see with both Michael and Shawn. Every variety of Janet was content with doing their job until something outside of them intervened, and the Good Place residents appear to be perfectly happy with being inoffensive and ineffective. The fact that demons want something other than what they're given...does this imply that the system was broken from the beginning, or were the demons created incorrectly? Either way, it implies that something about the system was broken right from the first moment and not just in the past few hundred years.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I would like it if whatever the show resolves to ends up with the good place reps improving but I think they're going to stay side jokes to the end

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
RIP Disco Janet.
You were outta sight.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Can we all give a massive thanks to Marc Evan Jackson? Uber-fan and incredible actor. When was the last time a performer has been such a fan and encyclopedic about a show? He may be the ACTUAL biggest fan of this little show that could, and he gets paid to do it.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

CaveGrinch posted:

Can we all give a massive thanks to Marc Evan Jackson? Uber-fan and incredible actor. When was the last time a performer has been such a fan and encyclopedic about a show? He may be the ACTUAL biggest fan of this little show that could, and he gets paid to do it.

I get that you're talking more about the podcast, but in this episode his gesture of disbelief about the lack of torture was hilarious (as was Timothy Olyphant kind-of agreeing with him for a moment, and his other interjections).

Jason had a lot of great moments in this one too. It's maybe not the most exciting or overall funny episode, but what's there is great.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Andrew_1985 posted:

RIP Disco Janet.
You were outta sight.

Keep on trucking :patriot:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

uvar posted:

I get that you're talking more about the podcast, but in this episode his gesture of disbelief about the lack of torture was hilarious

The way he just completely silently threw up his hands slayed me.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked that Shawn had to sway himself in the end. It wasn't anything the others did, it was him realising that them losing would mean the game would be over and for the last couple of hundred years it was his only source of joy. A billion years of back to boredom, and he wasn't ready for that. I liked his confusion and dismay at Michael giving up, just "But there's always another plan you idiots keep coming up with..." "Not this time. Game over. You won..." He just hadn't realised until that moment that this time, there would be no hail mary play, no interruption to his big speech, no further twists in the tale.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 10, 2020

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

FistEnergy posted:

I love how the Good Place negotiation team are absolute feckless pushovers who will gladly give into every demonic demand in the name of Reasonable Compromise and Decorum. It's a perfect teardown of the Democratic Party.
Shawn felt very maga chud with how he didn't care if the entire universe rebooted, and he lost out on torturing humans, so long as it meant Micheal lost/suffered.

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007

Rarity posted:

Keep on trucking :patriot:

What it is, what it is.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/1215644066085588995

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They’re enormous.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Honestly a little surprised Jason didn't press the button and erase earth at the end there. I guess he still might have.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's interesting now that Shawn and the judge want to see this succeed, the judge because they finally agreed, and Shawn because he doesn't want to game to end, so I'm curious what will happen next.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked that Shawn had to sway himself in the end. It wasn't anything the others did, it was him realising that them losing would mean the game would be over and for the last couple of hundred years it was his only source of joy. A billion years of back to boredom, and he wasn't ready for that. I liked his confusion and dismay at Michael giving up, just "But there's always another plan you idiots keep coming up with..." "Not this time. Game over. You won..." He just hadn't realised until that moment that this time, there would be no hail mary play, no interruption to his big speech, no further twists in the tale.

Michael played him, that was the "another plan" all along.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I have to admit to a bit of disappointment that the big swing Team Cockroach came up with at the end was to... invent Purgatory.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Same, bad Janet

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

qirex posted:

Honestly a little surprised Jason didn't press the button and erase earth at the end there. I guess he still might have.

According to the podcast, in one take he destroyed the prop by dropping it on the floor.

Also, Olyphant was wearing a hat he kept from shooting Justified.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

ZRM posted:

What it is, what it is.

What it was, what it was. :smith:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Here's an interesting thought: demons were created for one purpose, which is to punish the wicked for their sins. However, while they are initially enthusiastic about their jobs, they eventually become bored and dissatisfied with performing the same punishments over and over again, as we see with both Michael and Shawn. Every variety of Janet was content with doing their job until something outside of them intervened, and the Good Place residents appear to be perfectly happy with being inoffensive and ineffective. The fact that demons want something other than what they're given...does this imply that the system was broken from the beginning, or were the demons created incorrectly? Either way, it implies that something about the system was broken right from the first moment and not just in the past few hundred years.

Even the butt hole spiders get bored.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

CapnAndy posted:

I have to admit to a bit of disappointment that the big swing Team Cockroach came up with at the end was to... invent Purgatory.

Purgatory and the Good Place is a vastly better option than Purgatory, the Good Place, and the Bad Place.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
When Janet said she knew how to keep the judge’s attention I was so hoping that they were going to cut to a scene of Timmy O. playing every character. Which he could absolutely do.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

muscles like this! posted:

Timothy Olyphant as "Timothy Olyphant"

Yes! I remember Kevin Smith describing Timothy (Tim's OK) Olyphant as "Olyphantastic".

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
That was a great episode. But what’s the conflict for the rest of the season?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Vicky strikes back.

Or, well, I imagine there has to be some of the old system that don’t want things to change. Maybe a penis flattener just wants to keep flattening penises.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

hanales posted:

That was a great episode. But what’s the conflict for the rest of the season?
This is like, the national anthem of The Good Place.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Maybe it will be long slow shots of Visio process diagram creation in a series of conference calls.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
In a world where everyone is now suddenly constantly reincarnating instead of just spending forever in an afterlife I can see a number of directions they go --

There's a huge backlog of new souls who are super pissed they now have to wait a billion years to end up on Earth and revolt
We flash forward 5000 years and everyone has been reincarnated so many times they retain all their memories and it causes problems
People who have been tortured for 5000 years are suddenly thrown back to Earth and their "little voices" guiding them are deeply hosed up
The demons get bored and jealous and decide they all want to live on earth too and poo poo happens

More realistically though the entire premise is going to explode in the next five minutes of next week's episode and everyone has to team up to take out Disco Janet, who is revealed to be Satan

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Disco Janet implies a Disco Place. My wild rear end guess is that Mindy was going to end up in the Disco Place until the Medium Place was decided on.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
They didn’t say they’d reincarnate on earth. They said they’d be continuously rebooted and run through various scenarios, like Micheal’s original experiment.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

bad janet's void is the best, after disco janet's.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The irony is that Pirates of the Caribbean 12 was actually a return to form for the series. It was just that no one watched it. I'd like to see that actually, a Demon watching something they expect to be trash, only to realise "poo poo, this is actually surprisingly good..."

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

The irony is that Pirates of the Caribbean 12 was actually a return to form for the series. It was just that no one watched it. I'd like to see that actually, a Demon watching something they expect to be trash, only to realise "poo poo, this is actually surprisingly good..."

you literally just saw that realization with Shawn.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

double nine posted:

you literally just saw that realization with Shawn.

I was thinking media so didn't notice that, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I am about 90% certain that the conflict for the rest of the series is going to be that The Good Place is a literal hell for most normal people. Have you heard those Good Place people?

E: Chidi, the best version of himself, ready for Good Place entry, was prepared to snap their necks with his jacked arms. That sounds like eternal torture.