Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tias posted:

I tried reloading with the new language settings, and nothing happens. All I get is a ' " ' :confused:

Sure, here: https://imgur.com/a/mFrP1WC

yeah, I've played a bit, realized I needed mods, and then I tried to install them..

I don't know why that skyrim folder is in your SSE folder, but point MO at SteamLibrary/steamapps/common/Skyrim Special Edition - the same place the SkyrimSE.exe is in your first screen. Not the Skyrim folder inside of that one.

And having ModOrganizer in your Skyrim SE folder seems like a weird thing, but maybe it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I haven't used MO2, but I've used MO. If MO2 does the same "virtual skyrim directory magic" that MO did, then having MO2 installed directly into the Skyrim folder might cause it to break. At least I'd think it would? Doesn't MO2, like MO, create a virtual version of the Skyrim folder, and it won't "see" anything that isn't specifically specified in MO? I'm probably over thinking it and maybe it's fine.

And per the above user, having a Skyrim folder inside of Skyrim likely means a mod wasn't installed at the right directory level, and could cause anything from that mod to not work, to breaking every other mod, depending on how it's all setup.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

chaosapiant posted:

I haven't used MO2, but I've used MO. If MO2 does the same "virtual skyrim directory magic" that MO did, then having MO2 installed directly into the Skyrim folder might cause it to break. At least I'd think it would? Doesn't MO2, like MO, create a virtual version of the Skyrim folder, and it won't "see" anything that isn't specifically specified in MO? I'm probably over thinking it and maybe it's fine.

And per the above user, having a Skyrim folder inside of Skyrim likely means a mod wasn't installed at the right directory level, and could cause anything from that mod to not work, to breaking every other mod, depending on how it's all setup.

It does at the very least with the Data folder. I'm not sure about Skyrim root. But I'm thinking the same.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

While there's pros and cons to both, I'm not of the mind that Mod Organizer is the best mod utility to start with. I think it's a bit better down the road when you've hit the limits and problems of the more basic mod tools that just dump poo poo directly into data files. If you're not fairly familiar with how the folder structure works in Skyrim, or how MO works its magic, then when it doesn't work you won't know why. I'm sure that's a minority opinion, but I stand by it. If you know and understand how it works, then of course it's the better option, but if you're coming from the console modding scene, or never modded before, I think it's versatility is lost because it obscures the mod loading mechanics a bit.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 8, 2020

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yea, the whole profiles thing with Mod Organizer is both great and confusing at the same time. It's really a bit much for a small time mod setup and having to explain that "no, changing your .ini files in my documents doesn't do anything", is like diving down a rabbit hole.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i'm guessing ini management in MO never got the attention it needed because it's ultimately a free product, and there just wasn't the time/will?

it always stood out because almost everything else about MO is great

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Mod Organizer's profile specific Inis are great, I wish MO2 had maintained MO1's ability to add ini tweaks to individual mods, where the tweaks are only active while the mod is, which is great if the game would break if you disabled the mod without also reverting its required ini edits (see DarnUI for New Vegas)

Of course that's a very niche case, but I still enjoyed having the option

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I dealt with MO's handling of inis by using a kind of "layer" system of profiles. Basically I never made a blank from-scratch profile after the first, which set my inis and did other basic essential poo poo. All new profiles were copies of that one or another layer ultimately based on it, which migrated the ini settings and allowed me to tweak them further for the needs of the profile.

It's logical when you think about the profiles as possibly needing their own ini settings but it's not intuitive at first!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ThaumPenguin posted:

Mod Organizer's profile specific Inis are great, I wish MO2 had maintained MO1's ability to add ini tweaks to individual mods, where the tweaks are only active while the mod is, which is great if the game would break if you disabled the mod without also reverting its required ini edits (see DarnUI for New Vegas)

Of course that's a very niche case, but I still enjoyed having the option

I'm... pretty sure that functionality is still there, and in fact is a function of Skyrim. We're talking about having a mod named "Better Argonian Tiddies.esp" and having an ini file named "Better Argonian Tiddies.ini" along with it, right?

Also, facebook dredged this old picture I posted (not mine) that really, in my opinion, boils Skyrim modding down to its essentials:

PS: You can chalk me up as the lone Legacy of the Dragonborn hater up in here.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
All that's missing is Macho Alduin

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Is that a Battletoad and Spider-Midna?

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I wonder how hard it would be to make a mod deleting all friendly NPCs and leaving only bandits and animals and such so you could use frostfall to turn Skyrim into The Lone Dark.

Post-Fimbulwinter Skyrim.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Rhjamiz posted:

I wonder how hard it would be to make a mod deleting all friendly NPCs and leaving only bandits and animals and such so you could use frostfall to turn Skyrim into The Lone Dark.

Post-Fimbulwinter Skyrim.

I don't think that would be too tough. I've only made a few maps and dumb poo poo with the creation kit, but it shouldn't take much more than removing all of the npc entities from each cell. Just time consuming. You could even replace them with more bandit/vampire/draugr spawns or whatever. Probably get rid of the food objects on the table as well.

Hell, that actually sounds kinda cool. And one of the characters I repeatedly play is an archer/survivalist type that mainly only eats what I kill, and uses equipment that I make, from materials mostly gathered naturally.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Speaking of survivalist, anyone have any tips or feel-good stories about why they enjoy playing survival? I feel like the biggest challenges from reading would be the reduced carry weight and that health does not regenerate. I had some old BethesdaBucks from my FO4 days and ended up picking up the deal that includes that, and the backpack and camping mods.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't think that would be too tough. I've only made a few maps and dumb poo poo with the creation kit, but it shouldn't take much more than removing all of the npc entities from each cell. Just time consuming. You could even replace them with more bandit/vampire/draugr spawns or whatever. Probably get rid of the food objects on the table as well.

Hell, that actually sounds kinda cool. And one of the characters I repeatedly play is an archer/survivalist type that mainly only eats what I kill, and uses equipment that I make, from materials mostly gathered naturally.

Yeah I dig the idea of basically wandering through an abandoned Skyrim, struggling to survive. All those useless septims lol

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm... pretty sure that functionality is still there, and in fact is a function of Skyrim. We're talking about having a mod named "Better Argonian Tiddies.esp" and having an ini file named "Better Argonian Tiddies.ini" along with it, right?

I'm talking about this functionality:

I'd actually completely forgotten that mods could have their own ini files like that, explains why they phased out the Ini Tweaks functionality in MO2!

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I am just here again because I am genuinly suprised this is rated as gold as I become frustrated every time I check in.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Rhjamiz posted:

Yeah I dig the idea of basically wandering through an abandoned Skyrim, struggling to survive. All those useless septims lol

It only took us 12 years to go full circle from Oblivion with guns to Fallout with swords and magic. :v:

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Midig posted:

I am just here again because I am genuinly suprised this is rated as gold as I become frustrated every time I check in.

Sorry friend

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Midig posted:

I am just here again because I am genuinly suprised this is rated as gold

Me too :pwn:

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Also, facebook dredged this old picture I posted (not mine) that really, in my opinion, boils Skyrim modding down to its essentials:

I don’t see any giant boobs, butts, or dick in this pic, so I have a hard time saying this boils down Skyrim modding to its essentials :v:

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

NuclearPotato posted:

I don’t see any giant boobs, butts, or dick in this pic, so I have a hard time saying this boils down Skyrim modding to its essentials :v:

These are the bare essentials, what you're describing are just the (excessively large) bells and whistles

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is SPERG still the best perk overhaul? Decided I was loving sick of Enderal freezing on me so I'm just gonna mod the hell out of Skyrim proper again.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Enderal doesn't let me be a lizard so I've never dug into it properly. I remember hearing it was good?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rhjamiz posted:

Enderal doesn't let me be a lizard so I've never dug into it properly. I remember hearing it was good?
I only quit because it was freezing on me. The dialogue's very European - like, some dude just randomly dropped a couple c-words, they kinda go out of their way to have more sex than strictly necessary - but the base gameplay's Skyrim and the gameplay loop of having to buy skillup books to use the level-up-granted skill points actually makes money relevant. I was enjoying it as Basically More Skyrim, But A Little Worse.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I only quit because it was freezing on me. The dialogue's very European - like, some dude just randomly dropped a couple c-words, they kinda go out of their way to have more sex than strictly necessary - but the base gameplay's Skyrim and the gameplay loop of having to buy skillup books to use the level-up-granted skill points actually makes money relevant. I was enjoying it as Basically More Skyrim, But A Little Worse.

Sounds a bit like Eurojank RPGs such as Gothic and Risen

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Sounds a bit like Eurojank RPGs such as Gothic and Risen
Absolutely! If you played Nehrim (their Oblivion overhaul) you know exactly what to expect. They lean into their weird janky mythos and it's a good time even if it's very much "warts and all".

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is SPERG still the best perk overhaul? Decided I was loving sick of Enderal freezing on me so I'm just gonna mod the hell out of Skyrim proper again.

I like Ordinator, but I haven't used SPERG since I started using SSE so I can't compare. You can get pretty loving broken with Ordinator; whether that's a plus is up to you.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Is it just me or are the controls for the Creation Kit really weird? It's gonna take some getting used to for placing and resizing things.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm gonna be trying Vokriinator Plus next playthrough. It's Ordinator with Vokrii and a bunch of other perk overhauls stapled onto it like some kinda monster, including a couple SPERG ones. I'm gonna try to see if I can compress it down to 1 esp instead of all the original mods and a patch at the end though. We'll see how it goes.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

SPERG is real good although I've been messing with Ordinator lately just to try something different. I probably prefer SPERG still. SPERG has been updated to work with SSE as well.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Tyty posted:

Is it just me or are the controls for the Creation Kit really weird? It's gonna take some getting used to for placing and resizing things.
The CK's UI & controls are that of your average game dev tool. Meaning pretty abysmal.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tyty posted:

I'm gonna be trying Vokriinator Plus next playthrough. It's Ordinator with Vokrii and a bunch of other perk overhauls stapled onto it like some kinda monster, including a couple SPERG ones. I'm gonna try to see if I can compress it down to 1 esp instead of all the original mods and a patch at the end though. We'll see how it goes.
Oh drat this sounds awesome, I might try to make that work even if it's multiple steps. Gotta check the complete list there to make sure it doesn't omit any perks I really care about, but that gives me a good excuse to feel like it's shaken up!

edit: got the mod order all set up, time to play "hunt the crash" - so far it's the same problem I was having with Enderal, I get in-game just fine and then my entire computer freezes/I get a screeching sound that is like it's trying to play the same noise over and over

edit2: obviously, it was Wearable Lanterns.

edit3: Well, I wasn't joking, but now it just... silently crashes? I start SKSE via MO, Skyrim opens long enough to get to loading/tell me about the Steam overlay, then it silently exits. Don't even get to the Continue/New/Load/etc menu. First try after removing WL above and I started a game but then I wanted to add juuuust one more mod...

Getting in once is the part that baffles me, there shouldn't be anything that is causing a missing master file crash like that, unless there are other possible causes of that? Eh, I'll find it. Or I won't. But any help is appreciated.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 10, 2020

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I thought Vokrii was essentially just Ordinator Lite, what does it do that the latter doesn't

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

edit: got the mod order all set up, time to play "hunt the crash" - so far it's the same problem I was having with Enderal, I get in-game just fine and then my entire computer freezes/I get a screeching sound that is like it's trying to play the same noise over and over

When this was my PC doing it, it turned out to be the hard drive failing, so make sure you check all your bits and pieces.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh drat this sounds awesome, I might try to make that work even if it's multiple steps. Gotta check the complete list there to make sure it doesn't omit any perks I really care about, but that gives me a good excuse to feel like it's shaken up!

edit2: obviously, it was Wearable Lanterns.

edit3: Well, I wasn't joking, but now it just... silently crashes? I start SKSE via MO, Skyrim opens long enough to get to loading/tell me about the Steam overlay, then it silently exits. Don't even get to the Continue/New/Load/etc menu. First try after removing WL above and I started a game but then I wanted to add juuuust one more mod...

Getting in once is the part that baffles me, there shouldn't be anything that is causing a missing master file crash like that, unless there are other possible causes of that? Eh, I'll find it. Or I won't. But any help is appreciated.

Crashing before you ever get to the main menu is usually a missing master.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

A thing that SPERG did really well that I appreciate is replacing the boring multi-level base +X%/level perk with one perk that scales an effect with skill level. More perk overhauls need to do that. The autoperks were also a great idea.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jan 10, 2020

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

cheesetriangles posted:

Crashing before you ever get to the main menu is usually a missing master.
It was. Fixed it, got in game, did have the same kind of crash I've been having eventually but got like 15 minutes into running around Whiterun like a moron first. I forget, how do you start the main quest with Live Another Life enabled? The corpse in Helgen?

HopperUK posted:

When this was my PC doing it, it turned out to be the hard drive failing, so make sure you check all your bits and pieces.
Yeah, I have no idea what it could be but I'm definitely thinking hardware. memtest didn't find any issues with my RAM in the first hour, prime95 didn't find any issues with my CPU, furmark didn't make my GPU instantly explode. Still gotta run HD and PSU diagnostics.

there's probably a good joke to be made here about how the real game of Skyrim modding is building a new goddamn computer

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I thought Vokrii was essentially just Ordinator Lite, what does it do that the latter doesn't

Off the top of my head, Vokrii has better support for dual casting/2handed spells through destruction, alteration and to some extent resto. It also has some nice looking perks to buff elemental cloaks and wall spells, alteration has some fun telekinesis stuff, a really slick looking invisibility evasion perk in illusion, and the armor padding in smithing sounds like an interesting way to both look cooler and have a bonus half enchanting slot. I'm just trying to get my character figured out and have not tried any of them yet, but those are some of the things I know Ordinator didn't have.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
How do you move a modded Skyrim install to a different drive? I know Steam can mostly just drag and drop and run once to fix, but can I do the same with the MO folder and the underlying mods? Gonna test my hardware later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How do you move a modded Skyrim install to a different drive? I know Steam can mostly just drag and drop and run once to fix, but can I do the same with the MO folder and the underlying mods? Gonna test my hardware later.

Does Steam Mover still work?

https://lifehacker.com/windows-app-of-the-week-steam-mover-1824285685