Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, Meatballs was good enough to have 3 sequels faster than Star Wars so the kid is right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Applewhite posted:

The screaming in my household to see episode IX finally got to be too loud after my terrible sister-in-law added her voice to the choir. My gooniness couldn’t hold out and I took the whole fam to see it.

My wife and I were bored to tears and my in-laws were confused by everything because they’ve only seen episode VI. My daughters liked it I think.

Did you mean say Episode VII, or were people really clamoring to see the finale of a trilogy which they had not seen any part of thus far?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Lol the new star destroyers can't figure out what direction up is without a special relay telling them

What the gently caress, just look at the ground and go the opposite direction lmao

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Chomp8645 posted:

Did you mean say Episode VII, or were people really clamoring to see the finale of a trilogy which they had not seen any part of thus far?

You’re right I meant episode VII. The Force Awakens.

So they were like “what happened to Snoke? What did Kylo mean when he said he offered Rey his hand? etc etc...”

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Moola posted:

Lol the new star destroyers can't figure out what direction up is without a special relay telling them

What the gently caress, just look at the ground and go the opposite direction lmao

I thought they couldn’t figure their way through the evil cloud or whatever.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Applewhite posted:

I guess Palps only eats evil cabbage and evil beans for dinner every night. Imagine the smell.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Did the Death Star wreckage magically shape itself to match the contours of the ancient dagger? Or did I misunderstand and it’s not an ancient dagger but a commemorative dagger made after the crash and they carved the secrets onto it?

Also, you know what’s easier than programming a block into all droids not to translate the sith language? Never loading it into them in the first place.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Did the Death Star wreckage magically shape itself to match the contours of the ancient dagger? Or did I misunderstand and it’s not an ancient dagger but a commemorative dagger made after the crash and they carved the secrets onto it?

Also, you know what’s easier than programming a block into all droids not to translate the sith language? Never loading it into them in the first place.

I think its a commemorative dagger they sell on late night channels right after selling a commemorative Pod Racing's Greatest Heroes speeder flaps

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

What if they found their way out of the evil cloud and then sent the, "Here I am, come get me" message to the galaxy. Like was it just really comfy under the evil cloud?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Patrick Spens posted:

What if they found their way out of the evil cloud and then sent the, "Here I am, come get me" message to the galaxy. Like was it just really comfy under the evil cloud?

Also I’m not sure but it didn’t even look like the evil cloud extended all the way around the planet??

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Other things I hated: “hyper skipping”

So like, all those planets they visited were within one second hyperdrive jump from each other? Or is the implication that hyperdrive travel is actually instantaneous like in Asimov’s Foundation series?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Other things I hated: “hyper skipping”

So like, all those planets they visited were within one second hyperdrive jump from each other? Or is the implication that hyperdrive travel is actually instantaneous like in Asimov’s Foundation series?

Apparently they cut additional planets from that sequence, including Naboo, so it could have been longer. Yet they kept in the scenes of crashing star destroyers over occupied worlds, two of which were never shown or mentioned in the trilogy.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Those two planets are incredibly important for the next D+ Star Wars entry

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Apparently they cut additional planets from that sequence, including Naboo, so it could have been longer. Yet they kept in the scenes of crashing star destroyers over occupied worlds, two of which were never shown or mentioned in the trilogy.

I love all the star destroyers just self-destruct when the emperor dies

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Applewhite posted:

I love all the star destroyers just self-destruct when the emperor dies

Allegedly dies.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

Those two planets are incredibly important for the next D+ Star Wars entry

The next adventure is the Lando miniseries where he helps that one woman find her family.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

dudeness posted:

Allegedly dies.

Ofc. His spirit returns to his rune circle where his physical body reconstitutes itself a la John R Fultz

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Applewhite posted:

The next adventure is the Lando miniseries where he helps that one woman find her family.

Apparently she was supposed to be his missing daughter

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Apparently she was supposed to be his missing daughter

That didn’t come across at all. Did he mention a missing daughter?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Nooooope!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Applewhite posted:

Either in a cut scene or in the original script. Maybe in the novelization?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Applewhite posted:

I love that they took the time and effort to introduce all these new characters without giving us a solitary reason why we should care about them.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Blistex posted:

I love that they took the time and effort to introduce all these new characters without giving us a solitary reason why we should care about them.

I did enjoy the special effect of the planet we didn’t care about blowing up. It looked very chunky and fake. Best part of the movie, IMO.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

dudeness posted:

Allegedly dies.

I think the funniest interpretation of TROS is that Palpatine said he would be able to possess Rey if she killed him, and she did, so the figure we see at the end is ol’ Sheev now walking around in the body of a 20-year-old woman

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Patrick Spens posted:

Comfy’s only on top of cool clouds, bud

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Moola posted:

Not to mention one relay serves all twenty thousand star destroyers or whatever ridiculous amount of poo poo there was. And apparently the rest of the galaxy's fleets didn't need any relays...

The entire time they were horseback riding on top of one I hoped the star destroyer commander would just... Roll the ship 90 degrees and watch them all fall off.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Zoran posted:

I think the funniest interpretation of TROS is that Palpatine said he would be able to possess Rey if she killed him, and she did, so the figure we see at the end is ol’ Sheev now walking around in the body of a 20-year-old woman

Only a Cis deals in absolutes...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Applewhite posted:

I did enjoy the special effect of the planet we didn’t care about blowing up. It looked very chunky and fake. Best part of the movie, IMO.

yeah i liked that effect. it looked like a lovely low-tier death star attack. very appropriate for the miniaturized version

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Isometric Bacon posted:

Not to mention one relay serves all twenty thousand star destroyers or whatever ridiculous amount of poo poo there was. And apparently the rest of the galaxy's fleets didn't need any relays...

The entire time they were horseback riding on top of one I hoped the star destroyer commander would just... Roll the ship 90 degrees and watch them all fall off.

I don’t think star wars capital ships have yaw control...

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I liked the Stormtrooper Speeder Bikes with Real Launching Action. That was some COBRA-level poo poo. Wanna launch some stormtroopers into a pyramid of plastic cups.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

When will they release a Karate-Chop Kylo???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Never since toys arent as popular and also kids dont care about Star Wars.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I do have to say it’s very progressive of the First Order to have so many women and People of Color in senior leadership positions. It’s nice to know that in the Star Wars Galaxy even a Black woman can rise to the rank of Oversturmbannfuhrer

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

MORE WOMEN WAR CRIMINALS

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

it's great to see more chicks in the dock.

Zoran posted:

this must have happened in the EU at some point. metrosexual young clone!palps is the closest thing I know of.

it might actually fit DRidley better too, she probably has enough hate to do force lightning irl after half a decade of this poo poo.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Applewhite posted:

I liked the Stormtrooper Speeder Bikes with Real Launching Action. That was some COBRA-level poo poo. Wanna launch some stormtroopers into a pyramid of plastic cups.

My nephew got that toy for Christmas and it is an absolute piece of poo poo.

Terrible, terrible design.

Applewhite posted:

I think that any droid capable of over 6 million forms of communication is going to be good enough at spotting linguistic patterns that they can learn a new language given very little input. Look how fast he deciphered Ewok.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The film would have been better if R2 gave C3P0 all his memories back and the end of the film was C3P0 introducing himself as the last Skywalker

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Applewhite posted:

I feel like we need to revisit the mofferance from Star Wars.

How small is your faith in the force that you dont think it could make the death star resemble a dagger?

How small is your faith in the force that you dont think a droid built by the chosen one, born of a virgin, wouldn't install failsafes?

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Barudak posted:

The film would have been better if R2 gave C3P0 all his memories back and the end of the film was C3P0 introducing himself as the last Skywalker

I was hanging out for a joke where C3P0 realises he was built by Darth Vader and no one believes him, thinking the memory restore went wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I dont like JJ Abrams and I think most of his films are forgettable dreck but this new movie seems like a new level of dreck even for him