Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Honestly even non feral horses are pests. Beautiful pests and people don’t clear land specifically for horses like they do for other livestock but once you clear land and get horses on it, the soil density changes dramatically and growing anything except brush and scrub stuff is nigh impossible
people do clear land just for horses, if anything horse people are more neurotic about trees than the idiot cowfolk. horses are completely stupid and owners need to make sure there's no fallen wood they could trip over, branches that could fall on them, or any cover for snakes or they'll manage to kill themselves. add to that the soil compaction caused by half-tonne animals with hard hooves and they're an ecological nightmare, and so are their owners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
they drink an obscene amount of water too, especially compared to native mammals, but even compared to sheep and goats

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
BOM rain radar for eastern Victoria, there's a nice big band of rain moving through but it looks like it'll mostly miss East Gippsland where it's most needed:
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR681.loop.shtml

You can see the smoke from the fires up around Canberra on the rain radar. I'm pretty sure that big stretch of cloud from Falls Creek to Orbost is smoke as well.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/history/temperature/

From 1910 to 2019.

These Bureau of Meteorology maps show the anomaly of mean temperature for each calendar year, compared to the average over the standard reference period of 1961–1990.

If you don't want to click the link then look at this low-res picture

Look how these arsonists are heating this country up, no wonder the fires are so bad

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the mass livestock graves break my heart but i'm legit excited for the local invertebrate population

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

nankeen posted:

the mass livestock graves break my heart but i'm legit excited for the local invertebrate population

Many arthropod species are also pretty hosed thanks to the bushfires, some may have been wiped out in the wild. :(

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-06/endangered-species-on-kangaroo-island-at-risk-after-bushfire/11843518

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/science/australia-fire-ecology-insects.html

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Shits kicking up a gear in NSW as the change moves through. 3 are at emergency and the fire closest to my house in the mountains has kicked up to watch and act. It shouldn't affect me where I live but its not terribly far away.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

During this crisis many heroes are emerging, here’s one of them

https://twitter.com/harriettatham/status/1215382233730539521?s=21

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/9NewsAdel/status/1215501681758048260?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Scenes from the #fuckscomo Brisbane rally

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

This is the best word play on his dumb nickname yet

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's been raining for about an hour in Bairnsdale and they've had ~7mm. I got 24 on my rain gauge in Oakleigh, over about three hours. So hopefully there's plenty more where that came from for East Gippsland.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Memento posted:

It's been raining for about an hour in Bairnsdale and they've had ~7mm. I got 24 on my rain gauge in Oakleigh, over about three hours. So hopefully there's plenty more where that came from for East Gippsland.

The rain was lovely in the city this evening, hope it makes it out there to do some good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Downright soggy here.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Eat the drat horses. They're delicious.

I wish our fires a decade ago had the coverage Australians are getting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Russian_wildfires

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Well it happened people:

A second “mega-blaze” has formed in New South Wales as severe weather conditions fan fires in the Snowy Mountains area.

https://twitter.com/MattDoran91/status/1215567218630483968

The gap was closed in the Snow Moutains. Wild weekend for NWS despite the rains providing some respite in parts of Victoria. :smith:

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
The fire danger in the mountains isn't supposed to hit it's straps till midnight when the cool change comes through. Atm Leura is on the cards for impact but we'll see what happens really. The change is like normal heading from the South West which will blow the fire towards the lower mountains but I have alarms set to check on things throughout the night meaning I'm in for a bad sleep.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Gridlocked posted:

Well it happened people:

A second “mega-blaze” has formed in New South Wales as severe weather conditions fan fires in the Snowy Mountains area.

https://twitter.com/MattDoran91/status/1215567218630483968

The gap was closed in the Snow Moutains. Wild weekend for NWS despite the rains providing some respite in parts of Victoria. :smith:

Could that turn east and head towards Canberra?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Dad going off attacking the protesters saying "its not climate change. it's because people keep starting fires!". God drat old motherfuckers are stupid

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
Change the narrative to include sack Dutton as well. Don't let that potato get the reins by default. We keep going through these stupid cycles. It's gotta stop.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

He should be going off on the protesters for wasting emergency service personnel that could have been deployed elsewhere it would have made a difference instead of having to cover the protesting fuckwads who should have delayed their rallies until the country wasn't completely on fire.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Yeah those police could have been out arresting the fires

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Tornhelm posted:

He should be going off on the protesters for wasting emergency service personnel that could have been deployed elsewhere it would have made a difference instead of having to cover the protesting fuckwads who should have delayed their rallies until the country wasn't completely on fire.

Oh yeah... for sure

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Tornhelm posted:

I guess that's one take.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
All firefighters are heroes

All cops are ???

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

NOT

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

All cops are ???

You piece of poo poo

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Could that turn east and head towards Canberra?

I'm sorry I do not know. I would suppose unlikely from the particular front there as it has descended from both the western and eastern fronts to form the new mega-blaze. However according to the NSW RFS mapping as of about 10min ago the Koscuszko portions are at Advice level but are all labelled as "Out Of Control" and it's less than 20km to the Scabby Range Nature Reserve on the blacked out area.

Again best bet is keep up with RFS updates and check the weather forcasts to see where the wind is pushing. I can't image the Namadgi National Park/Scabby Range is any less dry and ready to burn than the scrub 20k away.

Paging either of the two RFS/CFA goons who lurk the thread to provide advice?

All cops are ???

GotLag posted:

fliptophead posted:

Change the narrative to include sack Dutton as well. Don't let that potato get the reins by default. We keep going through these stupid cycles. It's gotta stop.

Tornhelm posted:

Hi guys I am very strongly in agreement that a part of the thread should be raising awareness of the lack of both real action against the root cause of these fires AND the lack of real action in actual response by our shitfuckery government and am thankful you're keeping the thread alive; however I would ask that we leave the AusPol arguments to the AusPol thread.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 10, 2020

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

GotLag posted:

No, but the police that they had to allocate to the protests means that they had to take them away from other places they were needed.

In fact, that was the exact reasoning that the Police used when asking the organizers to reschedule the protests, which they purposely decided to ignore.

Victorian Police spokeswoman posted:

In a statement on Friday morning, a Victoria Police spokeswoman confirmed no police members would be pulled back from the bushfires to police the protest.

"However, we are frustrated by the timing of this protest and it will impact on other proactive initiatives and operations we have in place," she said.

"It also means we now have to redeploy some of our officers who have only just returned from the firegrounds to the protests. This makes it difficult for us to manage fatigue and means officers who have been working around the clock at the bushfires may not receive a sufficient break."

So in conclusion, gently caress the entitled fuckwad uni students who decided it was nothing but a cynical ploy and couldn't wait until the fires were under control/over to bitch about climate change and shout slogans about ScoMo. Nothing would have been lost by delaying the protests until the emergency was over, but holding them in the middle of it just creates more pressure for those dealing with it.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Tornhelm posted:

No, but the police that they had to allocate to the protests means that they had to take them away from other places they were needed.

They could have just, oh I don't know, chosen not to crack down on the protesters.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tornhelm posted:

So in conclusion, gently caress the entitled fuckwad uni students who decided it was nothing but a cynical ploy and couldn't wait until the fires were under control/over to bitch about climate change and shout slogans about ScoMo. Nothing would have been lost by delaying the protests until the emergency was over, but holding them in the middle of it just creates more pressure for those dealing with it.

That would be the point of it though. Now is when the world is watching, not when the fires are out and everyone's engaging with other things going "We helped with donations/manpower, well done us".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Maybe the cops could try putting up the :siren:BLUE LINE:siren: to stop the fires.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

think of all the unmurdered black teenagers and unraped sex workers bc of these protests

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Bargearse posted:

They could have just, oh I don't know, chosen not to crack down on the protesters.

It's nothing to do with "cracking down" on the protesters. It doesn't matter how peaceful the protests are, they need to have a certain number of police there per capita at the protests. It's the same as security guards for your boutique pub or music festival. There needs to be X security per Y persons.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That would be the point of it though. Now is when the world is watching, not when the fires are out and everyone's engaging with other things going "We helped with donations/manpower, well done us".

Which is still loving stupid. The fires will still be a big issue for the conceivable future, and if you honestly think that protesting ScoMo now will do anything, you're an idiot. Everyone in government would want to keep him in until its over because they can push some questionable poo poo through and if they end up getting rid of him they can use him as a scapegoat for everything.

Congratulations on taking away from people who really need the help right now just so you can have a loving protest that will do loving nothing productive.

McSpanky posted:

Maybe the cops could try putting up the :siren:BLUE LINE:siren: to stop the fires.

How loving stupid can you be. I don't care about your opinion on the police (and I'm sure as gently caress not sharing mine), I'm talking purely about the finite human resources that were required to be diverted due to the protests.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

peoples dogs, roaming free in their backyards unriddled with semi-automatic bullet holes, cops wives having a quiet one watching tv instead of having their arms broken it makes me loving sick

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

there are underage children NOT being molested by the NSW police force RIGHT NOW because of these loving dope smoking students

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
ABC reports erratic fire behaviour may happen in the Blue Mountains due to strong southerly wind.

Good news is BOM has cancelled it's strong wind alert for alpine parts of Victoria.

I am going to get some sleep. Stay safe goons.

Also goons please this is a place for fire stuff.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 10, 2020

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009
Please stay safe all off you.
I made a donation to the red kross.
Any Dutch goons having trouble with the donation links in the first post,
you can use the Dutch red kross link here
https://www.rodekruis.nl/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tornhelm posted:

You seem kinda stupid btw. And he's going off on them because he's a far right wing murdoch sucking idiot and he kinda reminds me of someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
But what if the protesters weren't intimidated by the cops? They might have become found the courage to take some proactive actions to rid themselves of that worthless PM. The cops aren't there to prevent a riot, it's that other R word they seek to prevent.