Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

R0ckfish posted:

After about a billion years of waiting for water effects to cure, a carnifex is done!

Y'know, I don't think I'd ever play a game with that one - I'd just have it sitting on a mantelpiece, looking stupidly AWESOME! :aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I was thinking to myself, "I think that base could use more bones," but I guess Nids just eat the bones. Bones wouldn't make sense from a lore perspective.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So I'm looking to get back into painting minis (years and year ago I got into painting LOTR minis) with a particular interesting painting Gloomhaven minis. I'm still doing research and looking at tutorials, but what do you all think of this kit?

https://www.amazon.com/Reaper-Miniatures-08906-Learn-Paint/dp/B00NTMC49G

I've seen this kit recommended in different places, and on its face a beginning kit with different colors and brushes AND some basic minis start off with SEEMS like a good deal.

I picked this kit up maybe a week ago as my first foray into mini painting, so take my opinion with a grain of salt because I don't have much frame of reference here. That being said, I'd probably at least grab some better brushes than come in the box because they seem kind of meh even with my limited knowledge. Otherwise it seems pretty good and is fairly paint-by-the-book if you just wanted to brush up on basic skills. For my dollar, the 3 minis (though the skeleton is kind of tiny and unimpressive) and the paints are worth it alone. I think the value probably only goes up if you grab the second box and end up with a pretty decent set of paints to work with.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

im pooping! posted:

I was thinking to myself, "I think that base could use more bones," but I guess Nids just eat the bones. Bones wouldn't make sense from a lore perspective.

The Cawl book mentions that decades after an invasion the tyranids just leave all the inorganic polymers lying where they are, so for space marines it means a lot of empty suits of armor lying exactly where they fell but the helmets removed.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

What's a solid paint set that's cheaper in the long run than buying a bunch of paints? I'm currently looking at this Army Painter set for $91

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Verisimilidude posted:

What's a solid paint set that's cheaper in the long run than buying a bunch of paints? I'm currently looking at this Army Painter set for $91

There's not really any such thing. You're going to end up buying stuff you don't need - you're paying for the convenience of not having to regularly go out and buy more paint when you realize you'll need a specific shade.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finally gave the vallejo paints a try last night, and I feel like I am doing something wrong. They are coming out of the bottle very watery. Maybe I am just too use to Citadel paints, which come out extremely thick in comparison, with only a handful of exceptions for their base paints. I made sure to shake my vallejo bottles really well too.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Verisimilidude posted:

I started with that set and honestly wish I hadn't. Some of the paints are fine but most are annoying to apply, have terrible coverage, go on way too shiny, or some combination of those problems. The applicators suck and lend themselves to clogging.

If I could give my past self advice, it would be to pick a model, come up with a simple color scheme, and just buy Citadel/Vallejo pots as needed (along with staples like white, black, and a wash or two).

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

I finally gave the vallejo paints a try last night, and I feel like I am doing something wrong. They are coming out of the bottle very watery. Maybe I am just too use to Citadel paints, which come out extremely thick in comparison, with only a handful of exceptions for their base paints. I made sure to shake my vallejo bottles really well too.

Welcome to vallejo, hope you have strong arms because you gotta shake that poo poo hard

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phi230 posted:

Welcome to vallejo, hope you have strong arms because you gotta shake that poo poo hard

It's time to get swole.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

It's time to get swole.

You not only have to shake them very well but a good tip is to roll the bottles around like a rolling pin.

If you want, army painter sells ball bearings that are safe for your paint to work as agitators

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I'm lazy and have been trying to find a decently priced lab surplus vortex mixer because I hate shaking paints.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I'm lazy and have been trying to find a decently priced lab surplus vortex mixer because I hate shaking paints.

Keep looking, it’s a life changer.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

R0ckfish posted:

After about a billion years of waiting for water effects to cure, a carnifex is done!

That bug is fantastic!

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Sounds like those beginner reaper kits might be the way to go. I don't think either of those kits come with washes, are there any basic wash/wash kits I should look for?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
The Army Painter quickshade set gives you a good selection. The 'inks' aren't full strength like say Scale75's kit, but they're good for glazing which is probably more convenient for novice use anyways.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Army Painter Dark Tone/Citadel Nuln Oil
Army Painter Strong Tone/Citadel Agrax Earthshade

Those two will be like 90% of the washes you'll use.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
FYI the reaper kit is how I got started when I moved away from craft paint (this is like 15 years ago now at least). This was before anyone made washes that I am aware of so you just made your own, and its still a good skill to have and not hard. I picked up what is today's equivalent of the master core colors set at Gen Con and have just replaced the colors used most as needed. All of those paints are still good, even the ones I don't use very often and its been well over 10 years. I love dropper bottles.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

yeah, im Vallejo til death but I still use nuln oil, agrax, and seraphim for the majority of my washes.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
3 More Kurnoth Hunters with Greatbows added

Need to buy 6 more for the sword unit, 10 more dryads and another wood (the 3 normal trees) to get the Sylvaneth up to 2000pts. Here's a group shot with the Elf substitutes in place.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Your style works really well on those models dude, they look so good together.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Time to find a cheap clamp and a jigsaw.

https://steemit.com/hobby/@sanctus/ljti2xxy

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I picked this kit up maybe a week ago as my first foray into mini painting, so take my opinion with a grain of salt because I don't have much frame of reference here. That being said, I'd probably at least grab some better brushes than come in the box because they seem kind of meh even with my limited knowledge. Otherwise it seems pretty good and is fairly paint-by-the-book if you just wanted to brush up on basic skills. For my dollar, the 3 minis (though the skeleton is kind of tiny and unimpressive) and the paints are worth it alone. I think the value probably only goes up if you grab the second box and end up with a pretty decent set of paints to work with.

Nah. Use the brushes. They suck, but you're pretty likely to gently caress up your first set of brushes. Get used to painting with the lovely brushes, and then get the good brushes once you're more used to painting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

My forest goblins keep expanding, and I'm starting to fear that basing might be more fun than painting.

It's a nice break from painting spiders.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Scarab Occult Sorcerer done. Now to paint the rest of the squad. And then the 30 rubrics in my queue.

album:
https://imgur.com/gallery/t12UeOy

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Two Headed Calf posted:

Scarab Occult Sorcerer done. Now to paint the rest of the squad. And then the 30 rubrics in my queue.

album:

That's an interesting blue color for TSons. And wow that is a really interesting shade of magenta! Works together pretty well.

I've got some TSons that are primed in gold and I'm gonna try painting the armor plates using Turbo Dork Da Ba De for a metallic light blue... but I gotta finish my ork team first. (Almost there!)

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

This thread needs more :pcgaming: Battletech :pcgaming:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Endman posted:

This thread needs more :pcgaming: Battletech :pcgaming:

That guy is dope as hell. I look on reddit and most people do not shade or highlight battlemech's at all and it hurts my soul.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Two Headed Calf posted:

album:

Looks good. I had a very fruitful xmas and was given the Tsons start collecting box, another box of rubrics, and a box of exalted sorcerers. If I buy a box of the scrab occult, I'll have more than enough for anything kill team.

My FLGS didn't have thousand sons blue, but I did get kantor blue, so I'll either use those or the army painter ultrimarine blue I have.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Funzo posted:

This is awesome. The craftiness of people in this hobby will never cease to amaze me.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Funzo posted:

I have an old B&D jigsaw whose chuck disintegrated that I kept around for no real reason. I tested this with a small clamp last night and the fit is perfect.

I need to figure out a way to secure it, but holy hell. Game changer.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I have an old B&D jigsaw whose chuck disintegrated that I kept around for no real reason. I tested this with a small clamp last night and the fit is perfect.

Something like this is probably more secure if you have access to a 3D printer.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3322547

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ben Nerevarine posted:

You probably want to turn the pot 90 degrees so it's parallel to the shaking direction too, right? Wouldn't want the cap to come loose while it's dancing.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Cross-quoting this one from the Scale Modeling thread:

Ensign Expendable posted:

Badger 's 56th birthday special is up

http://www.badgerairbrush.com/H56B_guidelines_rules.asp

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

nesbit37 posted:

Something like this is probably more secure if you have access to a 3D printer.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3322547

I don't have a 3D printer but I'll keep this in mind as an option down the road. Unfortunately this jigsaw can't hold blades anymore because the chuck literally fell apart in my hands a couple years ago.

Inspector_666 posted:

You probably want to turn the pot 90 degrees so it's parallel to the shaking direction too, right? Wouldn't want the cap to come loose while it's dancing.

Oh definitely, this was mostly a test fit of the clamp, I didn't think about the pot too hard. The clamp arm just slides in (albeit snugly), it needs something more to secure it. I'll probably wrap some tape around the pot and take a couple other measures to make sure I'm not chucking paint around my basement at 20 MPH.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I'll probably wrap some tape around the pot and take a couple other measures to make sure I'm not chucking paint around my basement at 20 MPH.

OTOH, you could embrace the hi-velocity paint experience and really up your hobby throughput...

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

OTOH, you could embrace the hi-velocity paint experience and really up your hobby throughput...

:getin:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I have a really loving dumb painting question that I should probably already know the answer to but whatever.

Shade paints. When should I apply them? Over the past week or so I've done it both ways - the way the box/instructions seem to indicate they should be applied after the base coat and before the layer paints, but I've also tried doing it after I've layered and it does a good job of "weathering" paints...

Is there a right/wrong way or is it just whatever looks good to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EvilHawk posted:

I have a really loving dumb painting question that I should probably already know the answer to but whatever.

Shade paints. When should I apply them? Over the past week or so I've done it both ways - the way the box/instructions seem to indicate they should be applied after the base coat and before the layer paints, but I've also tried doing it after I've layered and it does a good job of "weathering" paints...

Is there a right/wrong way or is it just whatever looks good to you?

There is no wrong way, and you can even do multiple shade steps if you wanted.

The classic pipeline is:

Prime -> Basecoat -> Shade -> Brighten/Layer -> Edge Highlight / Detail

But like, you could layer and then shade, sure, yeah. At that point its just a matter of what color you have before you add the shade, so like, in theory you could get a base paint closer to the layer color and then it'd be there without having to layer so you can go straight to the shade.

You can also do like a real easy version of blending by just selectively layering or shading different parts of a model, so you end up with a huge gradient even though you're only using like 1 or 2 actual pigment shades.

Imagine I have Red, and a Dark Red shade.

If I paint the model in Red say layer 1, then I could shade it and we end up with darkness level 2. Then I brighten up only half of that, so part is level 1 and part is level 2. Then shade the whole thing again. Now its part level 3 and part level 2. Then I could brighten up a smaller part, so now there's level 1, then level 2, then level 3. You could keep repeating this process with layers and shades. But at a certain point you're spending a toooooon of time on those layers and could do it faster if you actually used different paint shades to begin with, and just did proper blending.