Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I don't understand any of what I just read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

sleeping dogs is still the best

oh i love this open world thing right up until i have to handle a thing that also gives me yellow points

fake edit: those yellow points came from a dude who punched a cop and then needed you to use the pedal on the right

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I don't understand any of what I just read.

Maybe this will help:

"There must be cubicles like this all over the ETO: only the three dingy scuffed-cream fiberboard walls and no ceiling of its own. Tantivy shares it with an American colleague, Lt. Tyrone Slothrop. Their desks are at right angles, so there’s no eye contact but by squeaking around some 90 degrees. Tantivy’s desk is neat, Slothrop’s is a godawful mess. It hasn’t been cleaned down to the original wood surface since 1942. Things have fallen roughly into layers, over a base of bureaucratic smegma that sifts steadily to the bottom, made up of millions of tiny red and brown curls of rubber eraser, pencil shavings, dried tea or coffee stains, traces of sugar and Household Milk, much cigarette ash, very fine black debris picked and flung from typewriter ribbons, decomposing library paste, broken aspirins ground to powder. Then comes a scatter of paperclips, Zippo flints, rubber bands, staples, cigarette butts and crumpled packs, stray matches, pins, nubs of pens, stubs of pencils of all colors including the hard-to-get heliotrope and raw umber, wooden coffee spoons, Thayer’s Slippery Elm Throat Lozenges sent by Slothrop’s mother, Nalline, all the way from Massachusetts, bits of tape, string, chalk… above that a layer of forgotten memoranda, empty buff ration books, phone numbers, unanswered letters, tattered sheets of carbon paper, the scribbled ukelele chords to a dozen songs including “Johnny Doughboy Found a Rose is Ireland” (“He does have some rather snappy arrangements,” Tantivy reports, “he’s a sort of American George Formby, if you can imagine such a thing,” but Bloat’s decided he’d rather not), an empty Kreml hair tonic bottle, lost pieces to different jigsaw puzzles showing parts of the amber left eye of a Weimaraner, the green velvet folds of a gown, slate-blue veining in a distant cloud, the orange nimbus of an explosion (perhaps a sunset), rivets in the skin of a Flying Fortress, the pink inner thigh of a pouting pin-up girl… a few old Weekly Intelligence Summaries from G-2, a busted corkscrewing ukelele string, boxes of gummed paper stars in many colors, pieces of a flashlight, top to a Nugget shoe polish can in which Slothrop now and then studies his blurry brass reflection, any number of reference books out of the ACHTUNG library back down the hall -- a dictionary of technical German, an F.O. Special Handbook or Town Plan -- and usually, unless it’s been pinched or thrown away, a News of the World somewhere too -- Slothrop’s a faithful reader."

Probably not, though.

Anyway, one big difference between Deus Ex and open world RPGs is that, in Deus Ex, XP is a finite resource. Where there's no reason to optimize XP gain in, say, New Vegas, (since you can just go out and kill some mutants if you ever feel low level) Deus Ex can feel like you're falling behind if you don't get every single bit. Which means a system that would be relatively harmless in Nier has its faults amplified in Deus Ex.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, xp rewards for objectives is obviously not a catch-all for every game system, but its certainly the best way to do things in DX. That PoE system sounds like a delight, allowing for a player to feel 'underlevelled' is a very bad thing for many reasons. 0451 games, otoh, have never really suffered that issue; even if the player has blinders on and skips all of the optional loot, they're generally up for whatever's been thrown at them. Notable exception exists in DX:HR for the first boss fight, where apparently half the player base walked into it with no firearms nor combat augs, necessitating devs to redesign the arena. (I blame the players!)

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Maybe this will help:

"There must be cubicles like this all over the ETO: only the three dingy scuffed-cream fiberboard walls and no ceiling of its own. Tantivy shares it with an American colleague, Lt. Tyrone Slothrop. Their desks are at right angles, so there’s no eye contact but by squeaking around some 90 degrees. Tantivy’s desk is neat, Slothrop’s is a godawful mess. It hasn’t been cleaned down to the original wood surface since 1942. Things have fallen roughly into layers, over a base of bureaucratic smegma that sifts steadily to the bottom, made up of millions of tiny red and brown curls of rubber eraser, pencil shavings, dried tea or coffee stains, traces of sugar and Household Milk, much cigarette ash, very fine black debris picked and flung from typewriter ribbons, decomposing library paste, broken aspirins ground to powder. Then comes a scatter of paperclips, Zippo flints, rubber bands, staples, cigarette butts and crumpled packs, stray matches, pins, nubs of pens, stubs of pencils of all colors including the hard-to-get heliotrope and raw umber, wooden coffee spoons, Thayer’s Slippery Elm Throat Lozenges sent by Slothrop’s mother, Nalline, all the way from Massachusetts, bits of tape, string, chalk… above that a layer of forgotten memoranda, empty buff ration books, phone numbers, unanswered letters, tattered sheets of carbon paper, the scribbled ukelele chords to a dozen songs including “Johnny Doughboy Found a Rose is Ireland” (“He does have some rather snappy arrangements,” Tantivy reports, “he’s a sort of American George Formby, if you can imagine such a thing,” but Bloat’s decided he’d rather not), an empty Kreml hair tonic bottle, lost pieces to different jigsaw puzzles showing parts of the amber left eye of a Weimaraner, the green velvet folds of a gown, slate-blue veining in a distant cloud, the orange nimbus of an explosion (perhaps a sunset), rivets in the skin of a Flying Fortress, the pink inner thigh of a pouting pin-up girl… a few old Weekly Intelligence Summaries from G-2, a busted corkscrewing ukelele string, boxes of gummed paper stars in many colors, pieces of a flashlight, top to a Nugget shoe polish can in which Slothrop now and then studies his blurry brass reflection, any number of reference books out of the ACHTUNG library back down the hall -- a dictionary of technical German, an F.O. Special Handbook or Town Plan -- and usually, unless it’s been pinched or thrown away, a News of the World somewhere too -- Slothrop’s a faithful reader."

Probably not, though.

Anyway, one big difference between Deus Ex and open world RPGs is that, in Deus Ex, XP is a finite resource. Where there's no reason to optimize XP gain in, say, New Vegas, (since you can just go out and kill some mutants if you ever feel low level) Deus Ex can feel like you're falling behind if you don't get every single bit. Which means a system that would be relatively harmless in Nier has its faults amplified in Deus Ex.

tldr

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Serephina posted:

0451 games, otoh, have never really suffered that issue; even if the player has blinders on and skips all of the optional loot, they're generally up for whatever's been thrown at them. Notable exception exists in DX:HR for the first boss fight, where apparently half the player base walked into it with no firearms nor combat augs, necessitating devs to redesign the arena. (I blame the players!)
1. There are always complete and utter morons to be accounted for. Shamus Young (games journalist whose most consistent trait is being absolutely terrible at video games) apparently had to restart Prey because he built his character around hacking and loot acquisition and couldn't take on the bigger aliens.

2. I reiterate: players armed with the best guns would probably have an even worse time against the first boss, who is effectively bulletproof and best handled with the explosives littered around the arena. Conceptually, the boss fights required an entirely different playstyle to the rest of the game, but player builds weren't really the issue.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 24, 2021

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
That boss fight was super dumb though- as were the rest of them. In a 0451 game implementing a non-skippable boss battle is just bad taste. I thought DXHR bosses Were actually subcontracted to a completely different studio who didnt get the memo ”Its supposed to be deus ex”

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Valtonen posted:

That boss fight was super dumb though- as were the rest of them. In a 0451 game implementing a non-skippable boss battle is just bad taste. I thought DXHR bosses Were actually subcontracted to a completely different studio who didnt get the memo ”Its supposed to be deus ex”
That's accurate. And, IMO, they wouldn't be that bad in some other shooter game, with each boss having a different power set and gimmick to the fight arena.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 10, 2020

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I remember Barret just standing in the middle of a room firing at you. I never played the directors cut so I don't know if they fixed that aspect, but even if it was in another game I think that would still suck.

I only just got the chance to start MD on PS4 since my computer sucks, and I found it funny that it shows Adam beating Namir by punching him, like that old glitch let you.

Also these games do not feel very good using a controller.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The director's cut has vents you can hide in and turrets you can turn on. It's a bandaid.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

goatsestretchgoals posted:

sleeping dogs is still the best

oh i love this open world thing right up until i have to handle a thing that also gives me yellow points

fake edit: those yellow points came from a dude who punched a cop and then needed you to use the pedal on the right

Sleeping Dogs was brilliant for having the police EXP come from following some easy rules like not running people over. It’s pretty simple to max out earlyish into the game, whereas Triad levels take a lot longer. At the end, just like Wei Shen, you’re playing super violent and not giving a gently caress about cop rules.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I have a distinct memory of getting an "armor piercing" upgrade for my pistol right before going into the first boss fight of DXHR.

It, uh... didn't pierce his armor.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Momomo posted:

I remember Barret just standing in the middle of a room firing at you. I never played the directors cut so I don't know if they fixed that aspect, but even if it was in another game I think that would still suck.

Eh. There's a lot of cover around him, but his machine gun destroys some of it and his grenades flush you out from other cover, so you have to rush around and take your opportunities to hurt him. It's not static at all, very frantic in fact.Then there's the water / invisibility gimmicks...

Actually, the very final boss fight was the only one with no major changes in the director's cut (IIIRC) and extremely complex, and I thought it was the outright worst, and very hard to figure out in terms of what affects what.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

People complain about the first HR boss and yeah he sucks but like, if you didn't happen to find the killphrases you were kind of stuck fighting Gunther and Anna in the first one and while I'm sure years later everyone knows how to cheese them out (because combat in 1 is goofy as gently caress) you were stuck fighting them unless you happened to stumble on a secret bypass method well before you actually encounter them. Basically what I'm saying is while the bosses in HR weren't great they're not some weird cardinal sin where the old Deus Ex never made you fight anyone and this is some grand departure.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Except you dint have to fight anyone aside from anna. You can just run past every single other boss in DX. In fact, If you just skip simmons on ocean labs you meet him again in area 51- where you can again just leg it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
You all seem to be agreeing with this sentiment:
https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/09/02/self-improvement

But at the same time, I built a 'computer geek' too, with literally zero combat skills, except I carried the automatic rifle on me in case I got in a pinch. For the fight, I went into it unspoilered, and all I did was walk to the first piece of cover 2 feet away, shoot at his head, and duck back in when he started shooting. He died after only a few salvos. I then immediately reloaded, tried to finish him with a takedown and got a funny surprise for it, then reloaded again and THIS time, he blew up the cover once or twice. All in all, a huge piece of cake. I then walked around the area thinking "Who the hell has time for all this poo poo, turrets, really?". Again, zero relevant augs, just the standard automatic rifle.

So when I see the above comic, and other people complaining about how hard it was, I just think... did you not bring a gun? Like, at all? Or maybe just the tranq rifle? I don't get it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I think in all my many playthroughs I've literally never seen Anna in the UNATCO building because she always died on the plane owing to me protecting Lebedev

Also when I played through HR doing my normal extreme stealth approach I think I got bored with the hordes of shuffling zombies on Pancaea and broke with my style to run through the last 20 minutes of the game murdering everything and just dumped all my explosives and bullets into the final boss with zero consideration as to the 'proper' way to do it because I was bored by that point and just wanted to see the endings

I told myself I'd go back and do it properly but I've never bothered

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Serephina posted:

You all seem to be agreeing with this sentiment:
https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/09/02/self-improvement

But at the same time, I built a 'computer geek' too, with literally zero combat skills, except I carried the automatic rifle on me in case I got in a pinch. For the fight, I went into it unspoilered, and all I did was walk to the first piece of cover 2 feet away, shoot at his head, and duck back in when he started shooting. He died after only a few salvos. I then immediately reloaded, tried to finish him with a takedown and got a funny surprise for it, then reloaded again and THIS time, he blew up the cover once or twice. All in all, a huge piece of cake. I then walked around the area thinking "Who the hell has time for all this poo poo, turrets, really?". Again, zero relevant augs, just the standard automatic rifle.

So when I see the above comic, and other people complaining about how hard it was, I just think... did you not bring a gun? Like, at all? Or maybe just the tranq rifle? I don't get it.

The criticism is somewhat exaggerated, because it's the internet and that's what people do here, but yes some people showed up to that boss battle with literally no guns because the game was supporting that playstyle up until that point.

It was specifically advertised that you would be able to beat the game with stealth and non lethal weapons so naturally some people got mad when it turned out that there was a big ol' asterisk on that bit of marketing. It's a fair criticism.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Like I keep saying - I've dumped all my ammo into that boss (hell, I brought a rocket launcher and saved every single rocket in the game up to that point), to no avail.

But thankfully, the room provides you with all the tools you need:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdHjLjGqhBg&t=1664s

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I think in my most recent playthroughs of DX I always ended up dropping Anna with a sniper bullet in the subway station. It's very The Matrix.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

I think in my most recent playthroughs of DX I always ended up dropping Anna with a sniper bullet in the subway station. It's very The Matrix.

Hold on, you shot anna during the hells kitchen mission? Didnt know that possible.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Valtonen posted:

Hold on, you shot anna during the hells kitchen mission? Didnt know that possible.

Memory's a bit fuzzy, but IIRC if you don't kill her when you confront Lebedev, and you shoot your way out of the 'Ton with Paul, she'll appear before you reach Gunther at Battery Park (which is an unwinnable fight.) Usually my rifles skill is just good enough to take her down at that point.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

Memory's a bit fuzzy, but IIRC if you don't kill her when you confront Lebedev, and you shoot your way out of the 'Ton with Paul, she'll appear before you reach Gunther at Battery Park (which is an unwinnable fight.) Usually my rifles skill is just good enough to take her down at that point.

Oh, now I remember what you mean. Hmm, might want to try killing anna anyway on the first HC mission just to see If its possible

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I found the HR boss fights pretty easy. I killed Barrett by throwing the explosive barrels at him. Then Federova glitched out and got stuck on the floor so I just shot her until it ended. The last one went down in one typhoon shot. I keep meaning to do a full playthrough of the Directors Cut to see the changes and play them properly.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The penny arcade comic is also poking fun at the people who dumped everything into hacking and then are surprised that they are unable to handle combat encounters.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Alchenar posted:

The penny arcade comic is also poking fun at the people who dumped everything into hacking and then are surprised that they are unable to handle combat encounters.

I agree the HR bossfights were bad and dumb, but they weren't game-breaking. On my first run I beat Doofus easily by repeatedly zapping with the Taser, with a few grenades tossed in for fun.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Gynovore posted:

I agree the HR bossfights were bad and dumb, but they weren't game-breaking. On my first run I beat Doofus easily by repeatedly zapping with the Taser, with a few grenades tossed in for fun.

I tased him too, which made the resulting cutscene very funny.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I thought HR did really well with the setpiece scenes like the ambush in Zhao's penthouse and your arrival in Hengsha the second time, and tbh they functioned better than the boss fights in some ways. They were kind of like the Predator rooms in the Arkham games, where you get to use all the tools in your arsenal? So you can choose to go loud if that's your thing, or just be a ghost. More stuff like that instead of boss fights would have felt more in keeping with the rest of the gameplay.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I thought HR did really well with the setpiece scenes like the ambush in Zhao's penthouse and your arrival in Hengsha the second time, and tbh they functioned better than the boss fights in some ways. They were kind of like the Predator rooms in the Arkham games, where you get to use all the tools in your arsenal? So you can choose to go loud if that's your thing, or just be a ghost. More stuff like that instead of boss fights would have felt more in keeping with the rest of the gameplay.

The Zhao’s penthouse fight was hilarious with a silenced pistol, when I have a sec I’ll see if I can dig up the screenshot I have of the literal pile of corpses I made. I shot one guy, and his buddy went to investigate the corpse, and then someone else decided to investigate THAT corpse, and so on.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Zhao’s penthouse fight was hilarious with a silenced pistol, when I have a sec I’ll see if I can dig up the screenshot I have of the literal pile of corpses I made. I shot one guy, and his buddy went to investigate the corpse, and then someone else decided to investigate THAT corpse, and so on.

I did that with the stun gun while sitting in a vent duct.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Gynovore posted:

The Namir fight was the best because of how many people accidentally stumbled upon the one-punch KO cheese method and had no idea what the gently caress just happened.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Look Sir Droids posted:

I did that with the stun gun while sitting in a vent duct.

My first playthrough of HR was this tactic several time throughout the game. I'd empty entire levels of security and they'd all be in a pile of physics jumbles jumping about because each one was investigating poo poo like it was the light grenade from Mom and Dad Save the World.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Fabulousity posted:

The Namir fight was the best because of how many people accidentally stumbled upon the one-punch KO cheese method and had no idea what the gently caress just happened.

I take that bug as canon, like when you get through all the grunts turns out the big bad is just a weenie directing traffic

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I take that bug as canon, like when you get through all the grunts turns out the big bad is just a weenie directing traffic

I also take it as a reward for not falling for the most obvious ploy in games in a while. "Congrats, you didn't fall for this bullshit, now you get to deck this bodyworlds-looking rear end in a top hat rather than waste time on a boss fight that really shouldn't be like this"

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Namir was just the weakest member of the Tyrants in general. Barrett is a big muscle man with a gun arm, Fedorova can turn invisible and run fast, and Namir...is a guy who dresses like cyberpunk Slim Goodbody when he's chilling at his underground base. In both versions of the game his boss battle is a total nothingburger.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

Namir was just the weakest member of the Tyrants in general. Barrett is a big muscle man with a gun arm, Fedorova can turn invisible and run fast, and Namir...is a guy who dresses like cyberpunk Slim Goodbody when he's chilling at his underground base. In both versions of the game his boss battle is a total nothingburger.

He didn’t even get much trailer time compared to the other two, there was nothing to make him stand out visually at all, and that carried through to his character traits of “wants to kill you, but not in like a personal way” and “is a boss”.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Holy poo poo, how long have I had this av for??! I browse from the Awful app with avs off so I only just noticed when I accidentally tapped to view my own profile. Thank you random goon! :tipshat:

Though I will miss my old identity as the only goon to official fail the Digg Button Challenge, I'm happy to be repping DE.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

jojoinnit posted:

Holy poo poo, how long have I had this av for??! I browse from the Awful app with avs off so I only just noticed when I accidentally tapped to view my own profile. Thank you random goon! :tipshat:

Though I will miss my old identity as the only goon to official fail the Digg Button Challenge, I'm happy to be repping DE.

Since... when did you do your gimmick run? I slapped it on there because that achievement needed acknowledgement.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Since... when did you do your gimmick run? I slapped it on there because that achievement needed acknowledgement.

Almost a month ago, so not too bad in the scheme of me being late to notice things! I did that run over the New Years break. Thanks! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Hmmm....