Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I like the swipe keyboard but switch between languages where it’s not available - it’s too difficult to remember to use it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Every time I try to switch, I always end up having to add a “!g” to most of my search terms so I just end up switching back to Google. Every few months I think it’ll be different though but it never is.

:same:

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Every time I try to switch, I always end up having to add a “!g” to most of my search terms so I just end up switching back to Google. Every few months I think it’ll be different though but it never is.

:same: DDG is terrible. I applaud what they're trying to do, but gently caress, Google just works. There is a reason why it's the most used search engine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DDG is fine for generic terms and broad searches. Google excels on being able to figure out intent over raw terms. I turn from DDG back to Google on like one out of every 20-30 searches.

I have replaced more Google searches with Startpage however which is Google results but in a classic ordered list result form.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use Bing because it gives me rewards and gets me what I want 95% of the time.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
My logic is that DDG will get better with more users, so I’m banking on the long term for now. I still !g every so often but not as much as I used to, years back.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

DDG also gives you the other bang operators like !amazon, !imdb, !ebay, !wowhead, etc, so I use it as my default, just for those. I'd say it's about 50% of the time that I end up going to !g with it.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

I use Bing because it gives me rewards and gets me what I want 95% of the time.

I was in China last week and the only bad part about it was that I had to use Bing and it was awful.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
What’s the best Adblocker for Safari on iOS?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

Montalvo posted:

1Blocker

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Montalvo posted:

Firefox

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

But make sure you get the most current version: 1Blocker X. Not sure, but at one point both the older version and the latest was available in the app store.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Are people not using Chrome? Am I am idiot for using it? It just syncs will so many things I use, and I'm actually an Apple diehard.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

AMP is as but you can click the info button in the top left and then the URL to go straight to the actual page.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Fly Ricky posted:

Are people not using Chrome? Am I am idiot for using it? It just syncs will so many things I use, and I'm actually an Apple diehard.

I use Safari for sites worth staying logged into and Firefox Focus for the rest. No browser syncing of any sort.

e: Does Chrome iOS even support content blockers yet? Browsing without one is just...gross.

astral fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 10, 2020

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

astral posted:

e: Does Chrome iOS even support content blockers yet? Browsing without one is just...gross.

It has a built-in blocker.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I know people have asked about cross platform shared shopping lists a bunch of times but I never cared enough to pay attention. What’s that thread favorite again?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

But make sure you get the most current version: 1Blocker X. Not sure, but at one point both the older version and the latest was available in the app store.

The good version is just called 1Blocker now.

Fly Ricky posted:

It does not on iOS.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Fly Ricky posted:

And I'm guessing it lets ads through that are what Google deems 'Acceptable ads'?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Weedle posted:

It does not on iOS.

I don't use it much, only on several sites that I check and sync stories to Google at home. I might only be checking sites that I sub to (my most visited sites), I'll have to check. It would explain why I never see ads.

LPG Giant posted:

And I'm guessing it lets ads through that are what Google deems 'Acceptable ads'?

Don't all of the Safari blockers have white lists now? Or are there some that are actually legit on the App Store?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
e: double post

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Fly Ricky posted:

I don't use it much, only on several sites that I check and sync stories to Google at home. I might only be checking sites that I sub to (my most visited sites), I'll have to check. It would explain why I never see ads.

Don't all of the Safari blockers have white lists now? Or are there some that are actually legit on the App Store?

I use 1blocker/Safari on iOS and never see any ads. I use Wipr on MacOS/Safari and never see any ads.

gently caress ads.

Fly Ricky posted:

On a related note, how many Mac users are running Safari at home? Google beats it hands down.

Yeah Google does a stellar job of tracking your browsing behavior, developing a detailed profile and selling that to other companies to make big profits.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

LPG Giant posted:

I use 1blocker/Safari on iOS and never see any ads. I use Wipr on MacOS/Safari and never see any ads.

gently caress ads.

Yeah Google does a stellar job of tracking your browsing behavior, developing a detailed profile and selling that to other companies to make big profits.

Hey I agree with all this, but I need to be able to sync sites from my iPhone to my Mac in my work. Do these other combos sync? And Apple is like one rung down on the evil scale from Google.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Are you asking whether Safari on Mac syncs with Safari on iOS?

Because uh... yes?

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Snowy posted:

I know people have asked about cross platform shared shopping lists a bunch of times but I never cared enough to pay attention. What’s that thread favorite again?

Me and the wife use AnyList and it works really well. It also integrates perfectly with Alexa. ("alexa add bread to shopping list")

We pay for the the premium version as well, but you may not need those features.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Data Graham posted:

Are you asking whether Safari on Mac syncs with Safari on iOS?

Because uh... yes?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Safari on Mac is bested by several other browsers. I imagine most people that are half-way computer literate are using Chrome or something else.

I mean is there any other options (other than the inferior Safari) which will sync your tabs between the iPhone and Mac.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Sounds like you've got it all figured out

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Fly Ricky posted:

Hey I agree with all this, but I need to be able to sync sites from my iPhone to my Mac in my work. Do these other combos sync? And Apple is like one rung down on the evil scale from Google.

What does Apple do that makes you think they are evil?

Fly Ricky posted:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Safari on Mac is bested by several other browsers. I imagine most people that are half-way computer literate are using Chrome or something else.

I mean is there any other options (other than the inferior Safari) which will sync your tabs between the iPhone and Mac.

Got any sources on how Safari is inferior? Here is one comparison where Safari wins out: Battery life. In this guys' tests it the battery lasts about 50% longer when browsing using Safari vs Chrome. https://daringfireball.net/2017/05/safari_vs_chrome_on_the_mac#fn2-2017-05-24

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Crime on a Dime posted:

Sounds like you've got it all figured out

I don't whatsoever. The only thing I'm interested in is if there is an alternative to Google (other than Safari which is your worst choice at home) that will sync tabs between your iPhone and your Mac.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Can't stand Chrome for its UI choices, only use it when required by some policy-enforced thing like private GDocs. (Or if I have to edit an extremely large amount of text in a textarea, which Chrome handles efficiently but Safari bloats all to hell with.) Chrome is IE now

Also I prefer Safari for dogfood reasons (even if I didn't prefer it, I know most non-tech users will be using it, so the stuff I develop for better be tested in Safari first rather than assuming everyone's using Chrome

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

LPG Giant posted:

What does Apple do that makes you think they are evil?

Got any sources on how Safari is inferior? Here is one comparison where Safari wins out: Battery life. In this guys' tests it the battery lasts about 50% longer when browsing using Safari vs Chrome. https://daringfireball.net/2017/05/safari_vs_chrome_on_the_mac#fn2-2017-05-24

Only the what, seven year history of slavery, and associated suicides, that they outsource to China?

I'm not concerned about whether Safari or Chrome makes for a better iPhone app. I NEED to be able to sync my iPhone tabs with my home Mac and Safari is a terrible choice to use as your home browser.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Fly Ricky posted:

I don't whatsoever. The only thing I'm interested in is if there is an alternative to Google (other than Safari which is your worst choice at home) that will sync tabs between your iPhone and your Mac.

Firefox. Safari with 1Blocker is the best browsing experience on iOS, though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fly Ricky posted:

Safari is a terrible choice to use as your home browser.

Lol, no it isn't

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I won't use Safari because Apple is evil. Any other good browsers for my Apple Macintosh and Apple iPhone?

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

Fly Ricky posted:

With firefox you can send tabs between devices. It looks like there is a way to sync tabs but only got it to work iphone to desktop so far after playing with it for a few minutes.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Snowy posted:

Is there any reason not to use Reminders? That’s what we use.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Weedle posted:

Firefox. Safari with 1Blocker is the best browsing experience on iOS, though.

I check out Firefox. I used to use Firefox on the Mac to great experience. Thanks! edit: also thanks to forum poster Reality.

If you don't think Apple is Walmart-tier despicable I don't even know what to tell you. They're probably actually worse. And again, I'm an all-in Apple guy despite that (save for Safari because it's objectively not one of the best browsers on Macs).

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 10, 2020

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Fly Ricky posted:

Only the what, seven year history of slavery, and associated suicides, that they outsource to China?

I'm not concerned about whether Safari or Chrome makes for a better iPhone app. I NEED to be able to sync my iPhone tabs with my home Mac and Safari is a terrible choice to use as your home browser.

That's fair, but the only solution is to stop buying all tech products. All laptops/smartphones are made under bad working conditions.

I'm not going to engage with you anymore unless you provide some sources on why you think Safari sucks so much.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I love using Safari + 1Blocker on both my iPhone and my Mac. So there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Apple's only crime is charging a premium for the terrible working conditions outsourced to foreign countries. Everyone else does it with much smaller margins.

That and their charging solutions for Apple Pencils. Oh, and how much RAM they solder onto their motherboards. And I guess their laptop keyboards.