Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Willo567 posted:

Should I be worried about upgrading from Windows 7 to 10, with the horror stories about updates breaking the OS?
I've converted just this week, so I'm learning about stuff I've been putting off for a while.

I've installed fresh on a new disk, not upgrading a W7 install. It was very easy compared to the past. Microsoft has learned some lessons here. Drivers and such are found in an automated fashion. From what I've read the upgrade process is similarly reliable and smooth. There are next to no choices to make during OS install, which is both good and bad, depending on how hands-on you like to be. Still I remember making dozens of changes during Windows 7 installation, and many more after, it's just a matter of what side of the install process they're made. It's better IMO to have the streamlined installation.

The tradeoff is the information they will mine from you, both during setup, and from your user habits. For example, it will set up all your devices with the right drivers (probably), but will also add every bit of info it can about your setup to its own central datamass of user information and behavior. If you want more control over that you can work against it somewhat but never completely be rid of it. If you're a privacy nut and a Windows user, the feeling of irritation and "gently caress it, I want to be able to play games," will be about the same as with any other Windows OS made since XP.

I don't know about others more experienced with the OS here, but I check askwoody.com about once a month for the horror stories along with advice about whether to put off patching (W10 lets you pause updates for a weird rechargable period of time, but eventually forces them on you), but I take the hysteria of their user community with a pinch of salt. They literally have a DEFCON system for Windows patches and herds of nevertenners doing all the heavy lifting of vetting patches for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I just bought my mum a new laptop and got her all set up. In the interests of keeping my sanity and not needing to go over there every time she has a minor issue are there some good remote access software systems that are recommended (is that what they are called)?

One that would allow me to login and control her laptop from my own house to fix minor things.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Install Teamviewer Quicksupport on her laptop.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

How does Hyper-V compare to something like VMWare for running Ubuntu? My school provides both Windows 10 Education and the full VMWare suite for free so neither would be at any cost to me. I've been on WSL for a while and am starting to get annoyed with some of its limitations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

i vomit kittens posted:

How does Hyper-V compare to something like VMWare for running Ubuntu? My school provides both Windows 10 Education and the full VMWare suite for free so neither would be at any cost to me. I've been on WSL for a while and am starting to get annoyed with some of its limitations.

Linux on Hyper-V is good if you're just using it for server applications, but otherwise VMware would be better. Things like complete lack of audio support make it bad choice for general use Linux VMs.

mystes
May 31, 2006

i vomit kittens posted:

How about wsl2?

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

mystes posted:

How about wsl2?

The issue is more with not being able to do many GUI things properly even with an X11 server running. I've been unable to get Firefox working for Selenium tests (Channel errors every time I open it and every tab I open immediately crashes) and I also can't use Electron. I don't know if WSL2 fixes either of these problems but I'd rather not switch to the Insider Program to find out because I don't want to deal with the instability.

Hungry Computer posted:

Linux on Hyper-V is good if you're just using it for server applications, but otherwise VMware would be better. Things like complete lack of audio support make it bad choice for general use Linux VMs.

I really only plan on using it as a dev environment. I'd still be running Windows outside of it for Office 365 and taking exams (those are really the only two reasons I don't switch over to Linux completely as these three things are all I use this laptop for).

i vomit kittens fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 9, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Willo567 posted:

Should I be worried about upgrading from Windows 7 to 10, with the horror stories about updates breaking the OS?

The 7->10 upgrade process has always been drat near perfect and one of the smoothest MS has ever done.

When win10 gets screwed up it comes with some unassuming name like "2020-04 April Cumulative Update for Windows 10 1909". loving your PC up when you're upgrading would be too easy. They want to surprise you.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My aging mobo's Windows driver page:

Just looking for some comments or red flags here:
  • Realtek driver and Intel INF driver I'm getting from their websites and not the mobo manufacturer
  • I assume I don't need and won't install other Intel things: Management Engine, Smart Connect, LAN driver (I use wireless), or Rapid Start
  • I assume I do need Rapid Storage Technology, or at least won't be hurt by having it around. I don't use RAID.
  • The A-Tuning utility I use to tweak fan control and some other stuff without booting into the BIOS.
  • I assume everything else isn't needed.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I just did a fresh W10 install on 2013/2014 hardware and it installed everything needed without asking. As long as it can connect to the Internet it'll figure it out.

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I just got a 1 TB SSD and want to move my Windows install onto it. The things is, my current setup has the System partition on an HDD, and the actual Windows install on a smaller SSD. How do I go about moving the Windows install onto the bigger SSD? I don't want to do a fresh install and have to reinstall all my apps.

I tried creating two new partitions on the new SSD and then cloning the System and Windows partitions onto it, but my PC wouldn't boot then. I think that the System partition specifically is pointing to the old Windows partition, and need to figure out how to get the cloned System partition to point to the cloned Windows partition.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

doctorfrog posted:

My aging mobo's Windows driver page:

Just looking for some comments or red flags here:
  • Realtek driver and Intel INF driver I'm getting from their websites and not the mobo manufacturer
  • I assume I don't need and won't install other Intel things: Management Engine, Smart Connect, LAN driver (I use wireless), or Rapid Start
  • I assume I do need Rapid Storage Technology, or at least won't be hurt by having it around. I don't use RAID.
  • The A-Tuning utility I use to tweak fan control and some other stuff without booting into the BIOS.
  • I assume everything else isn't needed.

You don't really need them, but you can also get Management Engine, Rapid Storage (this is the driver for the SATA controller, if you don't install it, Windows will use a generic one), LAN, Intel WiFi etc.from the Intel Download Center https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Basically, never use drivers provided by your motherboard manufacturer.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Klyith posted:

The 7->10 upgrade process has always been drat near perfect and one of the smoothest MS has ever done.

Wasn't my experience. The networking stack broke, no file sharing worked (server sevice wouldn't start), explorer crashed every time I clicked on the desktop, and applications froze within minutes of starting them. Restored from a backup to win 7.

As far as I'm concerned, it's just like the old days.. clean install is always best

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 9, 2020

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Statutory Ape posted:

How much do you like your windows key

You can do that in the start menu by right clicking said icon and there are 3 size options iirc

I actually do the exact same thing. I put a browser dead center ish, or at least where my mind and mouse think it is- just need to call start menu up to do it

Thanks for the idea!

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I don't remember whether it was this thread or the other Windows thread, but thanks for the heads up about the telemetry. One of my games was hitching for no reason and it was driving me nuts. Once I disabled telemetry, it was smooth as butter.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

azurite posted:

I don't remember whether it was this thread or the other Windows thread, but thanks for the heads up about the telemetry. One of my games was hitching for no reason and it was driving me nuts. Once I disabled telemetry, it was smooth as butter.

Nice. Did you use the Windows debloat script to do it?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lambert posted:

You don't really need them, but you can also get Management Engine, Rapid Storage (this is the driver for the SATA controller, if you don't install it, Windows will use a generic one), LAN, Intel WiFi etc.from the Intel Download Center https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Basically, never use drivers provided by your motherboard manufacturer.
Thanks! I get the impression that Management Engine and Smart Connect are for business deployment or something and will probably plant themselves in the system tray waiting for commands that never come. LAN, I don't use so MS generic is fine there.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i think Mod$ should end support for the other Windows thread

E: jk it was just a contextually appropriate OS joke

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

doctorfrog posted:

Thanks! I get the impression that Management Engine and Smart Connect are for business deployment or something and will probably plant themselves in the system tray waiting for commands that never come. LAN, I don't use so MS generic is fine there.

For Management Engine, you can just install the driver without any accompanying software (MEI-Only folder in the downloaded driver). The same is true for Rapid Storage, just download the f6flpy-x64 version and install it using the Device Manager (SATA interface).

Smart Connect you don't need at all.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

redeyes posted:

Nice. Did you use the Windows debloat script to do it?

I vaguely remembered the post about the telemetry, so I googled it. I set telemetry to 0 in the GPO tool and disabled the service.

I'd love to know which script you're referring to.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

azurite posted:

I vaguely remembered the post about the telemetry, so I googled it. I set telemetry to 0 in the GPO tool and disabled the service.

I'd love to know which script you're referring to.

Oh nice, I was talking about this https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

Pretty sure it does that plus a bunch of other stuff.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah by "other stuff" it breaks updates occasionally so watch out for that

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It literally removes the loving store for no good reason beyond fetishizing their PC as their own personal fortress like in the good old days, untouched by the perfidious influence of the modern tech era. It's complete overkill and I wouldn't trust it for a second.

[edit] If you're that bothered then surely you can buy Pro and roll your own network policies to block stuff instead of just gouging out anything that looks a bit too modern.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 10, 2020

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lambert posted:

For Management Engine, you can just install the driver without any accompanying software (MEI-Only folder in the downloaded driver). The same is true for Rapid Storage, just download the f6flpy-x64 version and install it using the Device Manager (SATA interface).

Smart Connect you don't need at all.
My motherboard is so old that Intel's Rapid Storage and ME packages don't support it anymore, but the OEM downloads appear to have higher version numbers than the ones installed by Microsoft... from what I can tell by looking at the update history. So I ended up with the OEM's versions of those at least, and it probably makes almost, but not quite, entirely no difference. So this partly violates your advice to not bother with OEM downloads if you run a 7 year old machine like I do.

Backstory is that I installed Windows 10 on a new drive but didn't boot the install media in UEFI, so the disk was formatted MFT instead of GPT. Probably not a huge deal but I'm reinstalling Windows anyhow and am taking a voluntary tinfoil hat challenge of doing so offline and installing my own drivers. Why? Why not? I await Doctor_Fruitbat's analysis of my behavior.

This is fairly fringe info for a regular end user, so thanks again.

Incidentally, if you hate Nvidia's driver installer, you can strip the crap outta it (including Experience and telemetry) with NVCleanInstall.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

azurite posted:

Is this telemetry related? I was trying to play FEAR2 the other day (I know, not a well liked game but I wanted to knock it off my list) and my PC is way over the specs required (I have a 9600k and an RTX2070) but the consistent hitching was baffling me. I thought maybe my hard drive was broken but if it was just the telemetry that might make things way better!

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It literally removes the loving store for no good reason ...
Maybe you're thinking of something else? Windows10Debloater does not remove the store.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Not according to the comments on the debloater page: https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater/issues/196

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 10, 2020

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It literally removes the loving store for no good reason beyond fetishizing their PC as their own personal fortress like in the good old days, untouched by the perfidious influence of the modern tech era. It's complete overkill and I wouldn't trust it for a second.

[edit] If you're that bothered then surely you can buy Pro and roll your own network policies to block stuff instead of just gouging out anything that looks a bit too modern.

To me, the store is there for no loving reason. To each their own I guess.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Microsoft is increasingly moving applications that used to be part of the overall Windows installation over to the store, so that they can be updated independently of the OS. If you remove the store, you won't be able to update those applications. Maybe the semi-annual service pack releases will refresh them for you, but there's always the chance that they won't, since the expectation is that they would be kept updated via the store.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Hardware manufacturers seem to be slowly migrating to using the Store for their software. Logitech already has, there's some third-party stuff that becomes free if your computer is recognized as belonging to certain manufacturers, and Windows will attempt to grab the relevant printer software suite when installing drivers. Plus the Store handles update deployment rather than expecting the user to manually go online or the software to manage its own auto-update routine.

To be fair, automatically grabbing printer software suites is probably a net negative. :v:

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

isndl posted:

...Plus the Store handles update deployment rather than expecting the user to manually go online or the software to manage its own auto-update routine.

Another good point - having a single store application managing updates instead of a dozen separate update.exe processes is much better overall. And setting up a new machine is a lot easier as well, since you can just run through your purchase history and reinstall your apps from one place, instead of browsing and downloading installers and clicking "Next" dozens of times like some neanderthal.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Would be great if Microsoft started actually putting their own applications on the Store - stuff like Office, VS Code or the new Edge. Instead, they all come with their own updating mechanism.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I heard there were plans to get Office into the store. It's probably related to the UWP stuff, and Office is still a massive messy pig.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

VideoGames posted:

Is this telemetry related? I was trying to play FEAR2 the other day (I know, not a well liked game but I wanted to knock it off my list) and my PC is way over the specs required (I have a 9600k and an RTX2070) but the consistent hitching was baffling me. I thought maybe my hard drive was broken but if it was just the telemetry that might make things way better!

It's more likely to be just Lithtech jank - the FEAR 1 era version of the engine really, really hates the idea of Logitech input devices existing, for instance.

mystes
May 31, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

I heard there were plans to get Office into the store. It's probably related to the UWP stuff, and Office is still a massive messy pig.
Didn't they already put a lot of effort into this and then abandon it? Are they doing it again?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

mystes posted:

Didn't they already put a lot of effort into this and then abandon it? Are they doing it again?

<shrug emoji>

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

fetishizing their PC as their own personal fortress
Privacy is dumb!

Very hot take.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Windows 10: fetishize your PC

Who am I kidding, the current title is perfect

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

FRINGE posted:

Privacy is dumb!

Very hot take.

I actually think the reality is somewhere in between these 2 posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

beuges posted:

Maybe the semi-annual service pack releases will refresh them for you,

That is what happens, for the biannual updates that do the full upgrade process. So not 1909 which is a glorified monthly rollup, and potential future updates if MS does that again.

(I didn't intentionally set out to remove the store, the store mysteriously vanished after Reset my PC.)

AlexDeGruven posted:

Well the store isn't exclusively UWP anymore, but whether the Office people want to put it in the Store is another question.