Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

holy poo poo

watching this tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Thought I'd share this brain numbing poo poo:
https://twitter.com/frucool/status/1215611247753940993
https://twitter.com/davidbent/status/1215611763393208320
https://twitter.com/roblake1959/status/1215582142530539522
https://twitter.com/dhofstetter_x/status/1215610263753428992
https://twitter.com/AtlasFuture/status/1215616256830779392

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

We just need to synergise the economy to make finance sustainable.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I like the bit where they acknowledge that capitalists are parasites

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Rarity posted:

It's almost honest - they acknowledge that capitalism in its current form is unsustainable, but...what if it could be (:thunk:) by means of techblather and nonsense and something something environment.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ClivJ pushing hard on prop rep https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jan/10/clive-lewis-labour-leadership-must-push-proportional-representation

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Rarity posted:

At least they're acknowledging that if you take all the money out of the economy it dies, and maybe they should only siphon enough that it can still remain healthy. It's the sudden realisation that even if they could employ enough armed guards to avoid being torn to pieces by a mob, they still wouldn't be able to spend their money on anything because all the people who do the actual work would be dead, but still.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Acknowledging that capitalism is parasitic and endemically externalises all of its costs is honestly incredibly forward thinking from a presentation to capital.

But the concept of 'regenerative economy' taking nature into account makes me very worried when it's probably drawing on the concepts of like... those various ecosystems where regular small-scale fires to clear out the underbrush help the big trees grow stronger and allow space for their seeds to flourish.

Which is not only not the kind of thinking you really want to see from capitalism but... exactly what it's already doing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

OK fine I loled ad GDP > Got Mine.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I feel like most capitalists are pretty aware of exactly what they're doing, they just don't care / are able to lie to themselves that it's for the greater good

like if some of them are deciding that they want things to be different now, that's nice and all but the system is set up to reward things like externalising costs and leeching as much as possible and exerting political influence to make sure you can keep doing it. does mr cool slide man have any actual suggestions for how to actually get to magic capitalism or is it all chaos dragons??

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

baka kaba posted:

I feel like most capitalists are pretty aware of exactly what they're doing, they just don't care / are able to lie to themselves that it's for the greater good

like if some of them are deciding that they want things to be different now, that's nice and all but the system is set up to reward things like externalising costs and leeching as much as possible and exerting political influence to make sure you can keep doing it. does mr cool slide man have any actual suggestions for how to actually get to magic capitalism or is it all chaos dragons??

I'm assuming the final slide isn't just :guillotine: but a person can hope.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jedit posted:

It's the sudden realisation that even if they could employ enough armed guards to avoid being torn to pieces by a mob, they still wouldn't be able to spend their money on anything because all the people who do the actual work would be dead, but still.

Apparently this comes up a lot anyway, some technical consultant was posting about being in meetings with these people and instead of talking about the thing the meeting's about they were spending all their time asking about technology to protect themselves and schemes to keep them isolated from the angry hordes

Of course one solution is to try and keep the angry hordes as small as possible by pretending you're doing something through Responsible Capitalism, greenwashing, tech evangelism etc, this looks like more of that

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

Apparently this comes up a lot anyway, some technical consultant was posting about being in meetings with these people and instead of talking about the thing the meeting's about they were spending all their time asking about technology to protect themselves and schemes to keep them isolated from the angry hordes

Of course one solution is to try and keep the angry hordes as small as possible by pretending you're doing something through Responsible Capitalism, greenwashing, tech evangelism etc, this looks like more of that

Just do like Mark Blyth suggests and rebrand taxation as Revolution Insurance.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pesky Splinter posted:

Thought I'd share this brain numbing poo poo:

All can be condensed down to 'pay more taxes'

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Just do like Mark Blyth suggests and rebrand taxation as Revolution Insurance.

You don't need revolution insurance if you live in an unassailable fortress with all the food and you parcel out the food to keep the masses happy whilst blaming outgroups for the problems.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

thespaceinvader posted:

You don't need revolution insurance if you live in an unassailable fortress with all the food and you parcel out the food to keep the masses happy whilst blaming outgroups for the problems.

The great thing about these billionaire fortresses is that they've very obviously not thought it through even a tiny amount - all of the servants, maintenance people, and most of all armed guards they'll need to keep it running will have families who will presumably be left outside the walls. What's the likely lifespan of Jeff Bezos when he tells his private security that it's time for them to leave their parents, spouses and children to die in the apocalypse and come make sure he can keep pumping HGH into his cock in New Zealand?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Red Alert 2 takes one step closer to becoming reality :gritin:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The great thing about these billionaire fortresses is that they've very obviously not thought it through even a tiny amount - all of the servants, maintenance people, and most of all armed guards they'll need to keep it running will have families who will presumably be left outside the walls. What's the likely lifespan of Jeff Bezos when he tells his private security that it's time for them to leave their parents, spouses and children to die in the apocalypse and come make sure he can keep pumping HGH into his cock in New Zealand?

well that's why he's trying to automate everything using amazon as a testbed innit :tinfoil:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The staff/security will have pacemaker-like devices installed so Bezos can stop their hearts remotely if they try to overthrow him.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I mean, you promise people with no parents and dependents food and lodging during the coming apocalypse, that they'll live like kings in a world when 90% of people live like serfs or drown, they'll come.

You don't have to get many. ANd the world has plenty of selfish assholes in it.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And yet they'll somehow manage. They always do.

If you want the billionaires to lose we're going to have to make them lose.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

And yet they'll somehow manage. They always do.

If you want the billionaires to lose we're going to have to make them lose.

They have to be lucky every time, we only have to be lucky once.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There will be a few sycophants willing to do so.
Remember there was a guy who started the Elon Must Bitcoin, and wanted to gift half of the existing coins to Elon just to get close to him.

Most people though, as soon as Bezos turned around, would shoot him in the base of the neck and take over.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

So, had my formal visit from the council today and can happily announce that Fudjit now has a 5* food hygiene certificate!

To celebrate I知 going to cook me up some experimental fudge. I知 thinking marmite flavour- given it basically tastes of salt and umami it should synergise quite well with the sweetness, like my Sea Salt line.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/apiarism/status/1215629162779750401

The funny thing was I was sort of thinking of putting him as second- or third-pref as a bulwark against the Jessflaps Menace on the off-chance that RLB somehow didn't make it through the first rounds.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

So, had my formal visit from the council today and can happily announce that Fudjit now has a 5* food hygiene certificate!

To celebrate I知 going to cook me up some experimental fudge. I知 thinking marmite flavour- given it basically tastes of salt and umami it should synergise quite well with the sweetness, like my Sea Salt line.

Congratulations! And now you've made me wonder what Bovril fudge might be like.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Congratulations! And now you've made me wonder what Bovril fudge might be like.

Probably pretty similar But with a certain beefiness to it that I知 not sure would work.

I will conduct mad fudge alchemy and report back :)

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

EDIT: wrong thread.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
*Peter Kay voice*
Bovril.
Fudge.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

~inspirational~

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

France was lucky once... the aristocracy always returns...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

Probably pretty similar But with a certain beefiness to it that I知 not sure would work.

I will conduct mad fudge alchemy and report back :)

You're probably right but now I'm thinking of good sweet and savoury combinations, and thinking barbecue sauce might be a good reference point. Not the cheap HP sauce knockoffs that you get in fast food restaurants, the proper honey and chilli-based concoctions that will be the actual cause of the next American Civil War. Probably not something I'd want to eat every day but it might work, especially with the right texture, like very slightly chewy/sticky.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You're probably right but now I'm thinking of good sweet and savoury combinations, and thinking barbecue sauce might be a good reference point. Not the cheap HP sauce knockoffs that you get in fast food restaurants, the proper honey and chilli-based concoctions that will be the actual cause of the next American Civil War. Probably not something I'd want to eat every day but it might work, especially with the right texture, like very slightly chewy/sticky.

Basically, it might work as a gimmick flavour but my thinking is that Marmite might make a genuinely tasty fudge.

I am prepared to be proven wrong on this though..

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

~inspirational~

I thought that quote was made to Thatcher, not by her.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

sinky posted:

The staff/security will have pacemaker-like devices installed so Bezos can stop their hearts remotely if they try to overthrow him.
There was some conference for billionaire venture capital ghouls a couple of years ago where Running Man-style explosive collars were actually touted as a 'good' way of keeping the staff in line and making sure they didn't just stab you and help themselves to your stockpile of food. "If I don't put my secret passcode into the computer every day, your heads go boom!"

Why they thought anyone would sign up for this when the head ghoul having a heart attack while on the shitter would result in everyone else's splattery death soon after remains a mystery.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Jedit posted:

:thejoke:

Though to be fair it痴 outside the context of using it to troll people on Twitter

Fans fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 10, 2020

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Jedit posted:

You miss 100% of shots you dont take

- Lee Harvey Oswald

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Doctors bury their mistakes, architects cover them with vines.

- F. W. S. West

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
e. didnt work as well as i thought it did