Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People with names like John Johnson or Steve Stephenson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Rich Dickinson

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Joey Freshwater posted:

Comcast does this with their bundling and I don't get it at all.

Internet and Cable? $180!

Throw in a phone line that you'll never use? $140 for all three!

idk if these numbers are right but you get the idea...

You are correct. We switched my work to using Comcast for data. Adding 6 phone lines dropped our price by about $100 over just data. The lines don't go anywhere. Our phone service is still with a different telco. Somehow they think it's cheaper to add service. I can turn them on anytime but they won't work with my PBX.

I assume that, if you keep adding service, eventually they'll pay you back for the privilege of having you as a customer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Here to install another line?"

"You know it." *hands you $20*

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I always just assumed that it was some kind of subsidy+ad sales thing, where they earn plenty on having the number up, so they 'give' you money to keep/maintain it.
While it it was free or cost money then they'd have plenty of people not bothering to keep it around.

But then again, ISPs/Telecoms -not- charging as much as humanly possible just sounds impossible to me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SubNat posted:

I always just assumed that it was some kind of subsidy+ad sales thing, where they earn plenty on having the number up, so they 'give' you money to keep/maintain it.
While it it was free or cost money then they'd have plenty of people not bothering to keep it around.

But then again, ISPs/Telecoms -not- charging as much as humanly possible just sounds impossible to me.

I worked for Comcast once lemme confirm that the whole setup is to cost you as much money as possible.

There is stupid poo poo like you are automatically charged a huge fee if you need a tech (who is guaranteed just some poor schmuck who hates the job) sent out to do poo poo you wouldn't do yourself.

Except "wouldn't" do in Comcast's mind includes things like being an 85-year-old recent widow needing someone to do a power cycle for them, with their coax cable behind a giant desk, right where a Comcast employee plugged it in, and she being physically incapable of moving the desk.

Or in other words Comcast loves loving techs, customers, and call centre drones alike.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I worked for Comcast once lemme confirm that the whole setup is to cost you as much money as possible.

There is stupid poo poo like you are automatically charged a huge fee if you need a tech (who is guaranteed just some poor schmuck who hates the job) sent out to do poo poo you wouldn't do yourself.

Except "wouldn't" do in Comcast's mind includes things like being an 85-year-old recent widow needing someone to do a power cycle for them, with their coax cable behind a giant desk, right where a Comcast employee plugged it in, and she being physically incapable of moving the desk.

Or in other words Comcast loves loving techs, customers, and call centre drones alike.

Time Warner hosed me over once with their "free first month". For one thing, I had to wait a month to even get internet installed at my apartment because all the techs were on strike. Not sure why I needed a tech to hook up a modem but they wouldn't just send me the modem.
Then, I never got a bill for them for my first month, which made sense. Free first month, right?
My bill for the second month had a charge for the tech coming, as well as a "late fee" because I didn't pay that during my first month, on account of not getting a bill for my first month and not being told there was a fee for the tech.

They did waive the fee and the late fee when I made enough of a stink on their customer support line, like quick enough it made me think this was a pretty common call and something they just kind of hope people roll over and pay or don't notice but have no real legal standing to be doing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Worst issue I ever had, I had to call up, and go through 100% of the horseshit* so they could send a tech, this was a Thursday afternoon, so they couldn't schedule anyone to come out until Monday. Apparently someone, probably a tech, had disconnected me completely at the junction for unknown reasons on Thursday.

*One of my biggest peeves about calling tech support is that they treat me like I'm a loving idiot. I really do wish there was a way to easily talk to someone who has at least a modicum of competence, but that would require paying more than minimum wage.

I mean I get it, it's just some poor schmuck reading a choose your own adventure script that is written for people who have a hard time comprehending a light switch, but good god it can be asinine. It's 2020, if you can't figure out how to reboot your equipment before calling tech support, you really should not have internet access.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

Worst issue I ever had, I had to call up, and go through 100% of the horseshit* so they could send a tech, this was a Thursday afternoon, so they couldn't schedule anyone to come out until Monday. Apparently someone, probably a tech, had disconnected me completely at the junction for unknown reasons on Thursday.

*One of my biggest peeves about calling tech support is that they treat me like I'm a loving idiot. I really do wish there was a way to easily talk to someone who has at least a modicum of competence, but that would require paying more than minimum wage.

I mean I get it, it's just some poor schmuck reading a choose your own adventure script that is written for people who have a hard time comprehending a light switch, but good god it can be asinine. It's 2020, if you can't figure out how to reboot your equipment before calling tech support, you really should not have internet access.

I promise the idiot reading the script isn't really an idiot, they just value their paycheck.

Here's a fun fact: we took calls in the northwest TX/east NM region for customers in New England, the Beltway, and southern Ontario (under a different name of course), because god forbid you ever talk to your neigbours on company time.

And Comcast wasn't available in our home region- only SuddenLink

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Jan 8, 2020

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
People that act put out when you ask them to do their job.

I was at the self checkout at the grocery store today and I rang up a $35 roast. It beeped, I put it in the bag, and at the end I noticed my bill was unusually small considering that I was buying this relatively expensive thing. I checked and it hadn't rang up despite the beep so I tried again, and the price didn't change. I didn't want to get shot by the cop they have stationed at the exit, so I pushed the call attendant button. When I explained the situation she rolled her eyes and kept sighing like I was being super annoying on purpose. God forbid I want to make sure I pay for what I was getting. Believe me, I was tempted to just feign ignorance and leave with my free meat, but I know how meat theft works, a curse would have been imparted on the stolen meat and my number one peeve is being cursed, so I opted to try to be honest. Sorry for making you push some buttons so I don't get cursed, employee.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

People that act put out when you ask them to do their job.

I was at the self checkout at the grocery store today and I rang up a $35 roast. It beeped, I put it in the bag, and at the end I noticed my bill was unusually small considering that I was buying this relatively expensive thing. I checked and it hadn't rang up despite the beep so I tried again, and the price didn't change. I didn't want to get shot by the cop they have stationed at the exit, so I pushed the call attendant button. When I explained the situation she rolled her eyes and kept sighing like I was being super annoying on purpose. God forbid I want to make sure I pay for what I was getting. Believe me, I was tempted to just feign ignorance and leave with my free meat, but I know how meat theft works, a curse would have been imparted on the stolen meat and my number one peeve is being cursed, so I opted to try to be honest. Sorry for making you push some buttons so I don't get cursed, employee.

Why the gently caress would you not just steal the meat? :stare:

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Curses apparently

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Why the gently caress would you not just steal the meat? :stare:

Inspector 34 posted:

Curses apparently

I was pretty clear about the curses that attach themselves to stolen meat products.

But also I strongly dislike it when people say "so I guess it's free right?" if something doesn't ring up properly in the normal lines. It's not free just because their machine is stupid.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Everything costs what the store is willing or able to take for it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My pet peeve is any time I'm at work and actually required to do my job. gently caress that noise, I'm not paid enough for that poo poo.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My pet peeve is any time I'm at work and actually required to do my job. gently caress that noise, I'm not paid enough for that poo poo.

Fine just let that duck steal that meat, geez

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Woke up early and got all dressed up to go to court, only to get there and not be on the roster or lists for the day. Wtf, this is the date, time and place you gave me, get your poo poo together court system. My lawyer also had shown up and was confused so he told me just to go home and he will call later with what is going on. Plus the bailiff was a total rear end in a top hat for no reason and people wonder why cops are so hated... I made sure to thank him profusely for his 'help'. Jerk.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

There's no agreement on standard dress codes, and people take "semi-formal" to mean a wide range of things, but it has to be said when technically the proper term for what I want to request is "informal", because if you say that people start showing up in shorts

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
That's pretty much the worst when it comes to wedding invitations. You know most people will come dressed reasonably appropriate but you have to have to carefully word things so that 1) people don't show up in tuxedos and 2) Jeff doesn't show up in sweat pants.

It's a surprisingly difficult tightrope to walk.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Isn't smart casual the term you use here?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Helith posted:

Isn't smart casual the term you use here?

I mean, the fifth and sixth words in that article are "ambiguously defined". It is a term people use, but it means different things depending on who is saying it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wedding and jury and so on dress codes are insane bullshit.

Wedding: if you want someone to come then... why would you give them a dress code that will literally bankrupt them? Enjoy your loved ones coming maybe? Maybe not everyone has Wedding Clothes

Jury: it's called a jury of your peers not a jury of the old white men in your area that own the nicest clothes

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wedding: if you want someone to come then... why would you give them a dress code that will literally bankrupt them? Enjoy your loved ones coming maybe? Maybe not everyone has Wedding Clothes

I don't think that's really what anybody wants and you're being a little dramatic. Of course you want your friends/family to come without burdening them with crazy dress code requirements, but asking them to do their best to respect the event isn't that big of a request.

Edit:
I will say though that I think dress codes for court are 100% bullshit. Anything that you're legally required to attend should not have additional costs added on.

Inspector 34 has a new favorite as of 02:05 on Jan 11, 2020

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

'smart casual' is like. office wear, isn't it

also lmao yeah 'no jeans' def gonna bankrupt my loved ones

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
My peeve is having to get “dressed up” which means that I, as a woman, am expected to wear a nice dress/skirt and heels and makeup, which, no thank you :v: You get me in a suit jacket, trousers and flat shoes and MAYBE with my hair straightened and nothing more

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Butt Detective posted:

You get me in a suit jacket, trousers and flat shoes and MAYBE with my hair straightened and nothing more

Nothing wrong with that. Sounds appropriate anywhere but the most formal of venues.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Videos (YouTube, TV, whatever) with important information conveyed through text on the screen. Every goddamn time I have to hit pause, get up off my bed and get closer to the television so I can read it.

And this goes double if you're making me read actual props, like a printed document or text messages on an actual phone screen. If it's a longer document, narrate it. If it's text messages, put them in giant letters in colourful bubbles that can be read from across the room. If you're on YouTube and you have those little annotations that pop up to make additional jokes or provide extra information, stop doing that. Just stop. Say the information out loud or don't loving bother.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah I always wondered like, after all that work making a youtube video in the first place, is it really so hard to record yourself saying "hey since the video we've learned..." Or "here's some additional info on..." and just stick that clip in the pertinent spot?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

How many useful resources just become useless due to the swarms and swarms of people refusing to do even basic, cursory searches.

The Unreal Engine forums are nearly entirely white noise, and it's so frustrating. But this is near universal on most sites, I suppose.
I know it's bar impossible to actually set up a culture + moderate it to alleviate it, but I still wish they'd atleast try.

Any vaguely useful or important thread just gets drowned in 'halp halp's from people unable to even skim the page they're posting on. Even though the forums have a pretty good search system that goes through the posts of a thread.
But no, the moment they wonder about anything they instantly just post their demand for someone to fix whatever issue they have.

I've tried helping some people, but it's just so utterly draining just being barraged by 'halp halp pls make a long video tutorial covering every aspect of this exact thing for me because I asked.' and 'pls just give me project files.' dms. :smith:
No point in writing up an effortpost or detailing anything, because the moment it drops off the last page it might as well not exist.

It's super obvious that it's happening all over the place too, since a couple of the threads I keep tabs on have fewer and fewer people replying with help/etc.

tl;dr: I guess my peeve is people that just show up, don't bother doing any kind of research except 'halp me now', and then gently caress off again never to contribute.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

SubNat posted:

tl;dr: I guess my peeve is people that just show up, don't bother doing any kind of research except 'halp me now', and then gently caress off again never to contribute.

Got a couple of IRL examples of that modus operandi in my life, it gets old way fast

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Also, how do so many people forget they're hard-boiling eggs until they explode? Why do so many people wander away from the kitchen while cooking?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

Also, how do so many people forget they're hard-boiling eggs until they explode? Why do so many people wander away from the kitchen while cooking?

I don't like hardboiled eggs, so I can't speak for that, but one time I wandered away for a few minutes and turned bacon into a charred lump of carbon.

Speaking from that experience, I went to go piss or something and then didn't make it back nearly as fast as I thought I would :shrug:

For the most part I don't wander too far, but when I've got something boiling and just need to stir or monitor it occasionally, I'll go look out the window and sip an alcohol for a minute or two before returning.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
ah the ol' "make a frozen pizza while drunk" trick.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't like hardboiled eggs, so I can't speak for that, but one time I wandered away for a few minutes and turned bacon into a charred lump of carbon.

Speaking from that experience, I went to go piss or something and then didn't make it back nearly as fast as I thought I would :shrug:

For the most part I don't wander too far, but when I've got something boiling and just need to stir or monitor it occasionally, I'll go look out the window and sip an alcohol for a minute or two before returning.

I find that slightly more tolerable than my mother, who will go upstairs and start looking at something on the computer while something is in a pan over medium heat... then come rushing down like "OH OH OOPS HAHA!"

The real annoying part of that is like, me and my dad and whoever else is there are just shifting uncomfortably, like do we take over here? Or do we say hey, get off the computer you're cooking? Which is the rude one?

Usually I'll just go in and figure out what's going on myself, but I always feel a bit awkward because if someone went and pulled something out of the oven while I was cooking I'd be livid, but I also wouldn't be colonizing a nearby star system in the middle of sauteeing either.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I once tried to make a quiche after not baking for decades, and forgot what "The knife comes out clean" meant. I didn't realise it just meant ""With no cheese/filling sticking to the blade", I thought it needed to come out dry, so I kept it in the oven until it turned into a charred hubcap. The next attempt 2 months later went much better though.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
With the amount of poo poo I've left in the oven/on the stove that turned into charcoal because I fell asleep/passed out drunk, it's amazing I've never burned my house down.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

Usually I'll just go in and figure out what's going on myself, but I always feel a bit awkward because if someone went and pulled something out of the oven while I was cooking I'd be livid, but I also wouldn't be colonizing a nearby star system in the middle of sauteeing either.

:same:

But, I'll take over for my roommate on occasion because she's been recovering from a surgery and never fails to over-estimate how difficult standing for periods of time longer than 10 minutes can be.

It doesn't help that I somehow developed a phobia of setting off the smoke alarm a couple Thanksgivings ago when I set the thing off a good 3 times and knocked over my media tower.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I tend to have sitcoms running on my tablet while I'm cooking precisely because it keeps me from getting distracted by things outside the kitchen when I have downtime.

Hasn't stopped me from completely loving things up here and there, but at least I was present for it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Riatsala posted:

I tend to have sitcoms running on my tablet while I'm cooking precisely because it keeps me from getting distracted by things outside the kitchen when I have downtime.

Hasn't stopped me from completely loving things up here and there, but at least I was present for it.

My roommate is a bit of a night owl, so most of the time I'm cooking something up while she's sleeping, so I usually have wireless headphones on, and Antenna TV is great for old sitcoms (9/10 times it's Three's Company while I cook). The one thing that I think helps me a lot is that I "clean as I go" during the down time, so I'm unloading the dishwasher, scrubbing dishes, cleaning the counter, etc. between operations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Pretty tired of how often Discords servers seem to poo poo the bed....