Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

LPG Giant posted:

That's fair, but the only solution is to stop buying all tech products. All laptops/smartphones are made under bad working conditions.

Totally agree with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is there an app that will take a list of bookmarks and sort them by the time the last time the site has been updated?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I tried browsing on my iPhone with all of the big three browsers (Chrome, Safari, and Firefox) and Safari is definitely the smoothest and most comfortable option, so I'll probably stick to using that and use the free version of 1Blocker, since I don't actually browse very heavily on my phone. On my Macbook I'll stick to using Chrome, only because there's a few Chrome extensions that I like to use and I don't like that Safari's pinned tabs are duplicated across all open windows.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

EC posted:

Is there an app that will take a list of bookmarks and sort them by the time the last time the site has been updated?

you'd probably be better off with rss and a feed reader

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Montalvo posted:

I tried browsing on my iPhone with all of the big three browsers (Chrome, Safari, and Firefox) and Safari is definitely the smoothest and most comfortable option, so I'll probably stick to using that and use the free version of 1Blocker, since I don't actually browse very heavily on my phone. On my Macbook I'll stick to using Chrome, only because there's a few Chrome extensions that I like to use and I don't like that Safari's pinned tabs are duplicated across all open windows.

So to that end, is there a third-party way to sync your Safari tabs Crime?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't really know, I basically just use my phone to browse two websites and not much else.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Firefox is great and the MacOS/Windows versions recently added a always-on-top popout video feature which is rad.

Don't all iOS browsers still use the Safari rendering engine?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Firefox is great and the MacOS/Windows versions recently added a always-on-top popout video feature which is rad.

apple = slaves tho

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It takes quite a leap to think one is any "safer" from Apple spying on you by using a different web browser. They control the entire OS, they could post every single keypress to twitter if they wanted to.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

xzzy posted:

It takes quite a leap to think one is any "safer" from Apple spying on you by using a different web browser. They control the entire OS, they could post every single keypress to twitter if they wanted to.

who are you replying to lol

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

xzzy posted:

I think you're confusing "ability to spy on you" and "business model revolves around it"

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

FCKGW posted:

Firefox is indeed great; it had been awhile since I used it on my Mac. I'll give it a week of use, and probably switch over from Chrome.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Snowy posted:

I know people have asked about cross platform shared shopping lists a bunch of times but I never cared enough to pay attention. What’s that thread favorite again?

Another vote for AnyList here.

In my experience Reminders does not sync consistently enough for use as a shopping list. But then I've never tried since switching to AnyList.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
AnyList is great. Another alternative is a wrapper on Reminders:

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/grocery-smart-shopping-list/id1195676848

If you’re consistent to mark things off as you shop, it’ll organize your items the same way your grocery store is organized.

I’ve been using Taskpaper on MacOS for everything lately and Taskmator on my iPhone to mark everything off, but that app is dog’s balls. I wish there was a better Taskpaper alternative on iOS.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Speaking of lists: Is there a favourite notes/lists app? AnyList looks specific to groceries.

I’ve used Evernote and Keep in the past but didn’t like Evernote’s new direction (and poor iOS implementation) and Keep is very simple (no text formatting etc.) and reminders don’t work in iOS.

Needs to have a web/desktop version as well.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Red_Fred posted:

Speaking of lists: Is there a favourite notes/lists app? AnyList looks specific to groceries.

I’ve used Evernote and Keep in the past but didn’t like Evernote’s new direction (and poor iOS implementation) and Keep is very simple (no text formatting etc.) and reminders don’t work in iOS.

OneNote has made leaps and bounds in the last few years and I am all in these days. It’s free.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Red_Fred posted:

I’m a big fan of Notion.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Neurophonic posted:

OneNote has made leaps and bounds in the last few years and I am all in these days. It’s free.

It’s funny you mention OneNote as I read this article just after I posted. It pretty much sums up my feeling on those three perfectly. But, I’ll give OneNote another go.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Notes apps are so ridiculous. There are so many good ones, but each of them have a few things they just completely gently caress up, whether its reliable syncing, terrible design decisions re: the interface, not creating native apps (looking at you here, Notion), adopting some weird pseudo-Markdown syntax, or lacking any type of cross-compatibility. I've just gone back to text files and iA Writer, but I'm not happy with that either, really.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
I miss Editorial :(

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

notion is my favorite so far: https://www.notion.so

its so flexible and somehow lightweight that Im upset that I hadn't tried it sooner

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I really wish I had the patience to learn all the tricks and tools of Notion. It'd be immensely useful for one thing and I want to use it for that one thing, but it gets so daunting when I open the app.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Is there a timer app where you can add increments of time (30sec, 1min, etc.) while it’s still counting down?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I need help with a convoluted parenting thing. My son is doing this ski bus thing on Saturdays where he's gone pretty much the whole day. I feel kind of bad and want to let him play video games at least on the bus ride back, but not on the bus ride to the ski place. I have a slightly absurd solution mostly worked out: I'm giving him an old DS Lite with a Sonic game he's never played before (he loving loves Sonic), but then locking the cartridge in a keysafe. The keysafe can be unlocked with a code, and my current plan is to send this old iPhone 6 (more of an iPod touch since it has no cell service) with him, totally locked down except for an app that should tell him the code after a certain time in the day.

I'm stuck at the last part. The Screen Time stuff built into iOS doesn't let you set specific times to lock or unlock specific apps. Is there an app that will let me reveal text on the device only after a set time?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Jesus christ.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

The Dave posted:

Jesus christ.

I didn't want to be the one to say it. It had to be said though.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Imagine being a kid in 2020

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Have you tried Dashlane?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cicero posted:

I need help with a convoluted parenting thing. My son is doing this ski bus thing on Saturdays where he's gone pretty much the whole day. I feel kind of bad and want to let him play video games at least on the bus ride back, but not on the bus ride to the ski place. I have a slightly absurd solution mostly worked out: I'm giving him an old DS Lite with a Sonic game he's never played before (he loving loves Sonic), but then locking the cartridge in a keysafe. The keysafe can be unlocked with a code, and my current plan is to send this old iPhone 6 (more of an iPod touch since it has no cell service) with him, totally locked down except for an app that should tell him the code after a certain time in the day.

I'm stuck at the last part. The Screen Time stuff built into iOS doesn't let you set specific times to lock or unlock specific apps. Is there an app that will let me reveal text on the device only after a set time?
:yikes:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Have the nanny follow the kid around and slap the phone out of his hand.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

Some real AITA ITT

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cicero posted:

I need help with a convoluted parenting thing. My son is doing this ski bus thing on Saturdays where he's gone pretty much the whole day. I feel kind of bad and want to let him play video games at least on the bus ride back, but not on the bus ride to the ski place.

what would happen if he didn't play video games at all for a whole day

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

what would happen if he didn't play video games at all for a whole day

Probably spontaneous combustion.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

His else is this kid going to deal with skiing all day?!?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Create a series of puzzles he must solve to unlock the DS. Make them hard enough that he won’t be able to solve them all until he's heading home.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The answers to the puzzle are found in the names of the double black diamond slopes

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
How regular are your child’s bowel movements? Can you accurately time the release of the cartridge?

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

The Gillman posted:

Some real AITA ITT

I was thinking more like insaneparents.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Eh, we ban him from screens plenty. It's just a long bus ride there and back every week, I get that it's boring. I used to have a game gear or game boy for long car trips.

tankadillo posted:

Create a series of puzzles he must solve to unlock the DS. Make them hard enough that he won’t be able to solve them all until he's heading home.
If I thought I could time this out reliably I'd probably do it, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Am I misunderstanding the situation? He's going on a ski trip every week. Is he going with other kids his age?

The skiing should tire him out to the point where he just sleeps on the bus. If not, maybe he could I don't know, talk with the others kids and maybe socialize?