Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

anakha posted:

That really depends on whether you care about your Mech dying after its first alpha strike.

Of course not!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

sean10mm posted:

For the purposes of this discussion I'm gonna say... of course not.

:getin:

Probably that Atlas, then, +2 UAC-20s.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Have I got it right that AC/5 and /20 are where it’s at, and the other sizes are subpar?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lmao that's why they keep dying in MC2, I need to add armor and also the one light mech is a Fire Ant - also known as a flea

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

the yeti posted:

Have I got it right that AC/5 and /20 are where it’s at, and the other sizes are subpar?

If we're just talking about the ACs in the base game then yeah.

AC/2 is way too heavy to do the same damage as a medium laser.
AC/5 is much better than the AC/2, but that basically just makes it average. One AC/5 >> two AC/2 on mechs that mostly have ballistic hardpoints like the Blackjack and Jagermech.
AC/10 does good damage but is too heavy for the bump over the AC/5. The 65 and 70 damage versions *can* be used to blow heads off with 1 shot, making them a poor man's gauss rifle basically.
AC/20 is fun on a bun once you get in range.

LBX and Ultra ACs from the Heavy Metal DLC are actually very good in the small sizes though. Can't get enough LB 2-X++ and UAC2++.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The AC10 is good on certain mechs now but otherwise you're always better off going up or down a size on a mech with one. UAC2s make AC2s more pointless than ever :v:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

the yeti posted:

For standard autocannons yes. For Ultra Autocannons and LBX's all 4 sizes are good, especially since + and ++ variants can roll -tonnage.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Yeah I meant the plain Jane ones—- I like my ac/20 jager but I was thinking that multiple ac/5’s might be better since I could have a strong alpha but also cycle giving one a break to ease up the recoil penalty.

Breaching shot wouldn’t be nearly as fun though so maybe I need to add a ballistic fire support mech instead

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The ++ damage on the LBX-2s makes them excellent.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol my light mechs keep dying to SRM carriers and turrets in mechcommander 2. The more things change I guess :v:

They only have about half of their missiles in MC2. Pretty much all of the vehicles in the mechcommander games were heavily nerfed in terms of both armor and weaponry.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Taerkar posted:

They only have about half of their missiles in MC2. Pretty much all of the vehicles in the mechcommander games were heavily nerfed in terms of both armor and weaponry.

Yeah but that's still going to gently caress up my naked flea :haw:

I went ahead and bought a heavy so problem solved. The game's still pretty fun but really obviously shows its age.

e: I can't stop playing mechs and want to go through MW4:V again now since I just did MW4:M help

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 10, 2020

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

sean10mm posted:

For the purposes of this discussion I'm gonna say... of course not.

:getin:

You can fit 4x UAC/20s on a Bull Shark, but you're already at 192 heat. If you strip the armor I'm pretty sure you can fit a couple of snubs on there too. The heat generated would rival the sun.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

the yeti posted:

Yeah. There's no reason to touch a 2 or a 10. A 5 is like LRMs but a bit worse, but not unusably so. A 20 is worse than its weight in MLs or SRMs, but it can be used for headcapping or with Breaching Shot.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah but that's still going to gently caress up my naked flea :haw:

I went ahead and bought a heavy so problem solved. The game's still pretty fun but really obviously shows its age.

e: I can't stop playing mechs and want to go through MW4:V again now since I just did MW4:M help

Help? you need to help the people of Kentares IV!

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

the yeti posted:

Overall yes. There are exceptions.

LBX2s are arguably superior to the other LBXs on the basis of damage per tonnage. They're just slot limited. UAC2s are also decent (damage++ UAC2s are an integral part of the 80% headshot marauder build).

Standard size 10 ACs become decent on the ANH, as its built in quirk turns a standard AC10 into a head chopper. It also turns any damage+ AC10 into a head chopper in 1 layer of cover. It is trivial to find 4xAC10 and mount them on an AHN once you've salvaged an ANH. Five +10 damage AC5s on the ANH are a better config (each one of them gets turned into a head chopper), but they're harder to find.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Organ Fiend posted:

Five +10 damage AC5s on the ANH are a better config (each one of them gets turned into a head chopper), but they're harder to find.

I'm pissed I never thought of this, but then again I hardly ever see one of those things anyway.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

sean10mm posted:

I'm pissed I never thought of this, but then again I hardly ever see one of those things anyway.

With all the Jagermechs you're going to kill, you'll get them eventually. You just have to force yourself to look through the lists to see if they're there since they're not one of the things you immediately go for (i.e. assault parts, MLs, SRMs, cockpits and gyros, etc).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Organ Fiend posted:

With all the Jagermechs you're going to kill, you'll get them eventually. You just have to force yourself to look through the lists to see if they're there since they're not one of the things you immediately go for (i.e. assault parts, MLs, SRMs, cockpits and gyros, etc).

I only just realized some leg mods are zero weight, incidentally

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Not sure if it's a feature of Heavy Metal or not but a lot of utility components had their tonnage knocked down to 0, which is a very good change.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

And Tyler Too! posted:

Not sure if it's a feature of Heavy Metal or not but a lot of utility components had their tonnage knocked down to 0, which is a very good change.

Did they remove the AI's desire to ever DFA btw? I saw it once or twice in the campaign my first time through and literally never again. A hosed mech with jets will just brace or melee.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Organ Fiend posted:

(damage++ UAC2s are an integral part of the 80% headshot marauder build).

Wait, what? The best I can manage is 35%

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Communist Walrus posted:

35% CTH for each weapon, so your chance to headshot a mech to death depends on how many weapons you have and how much damage each can do

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Communist Walrus posted:

Each shot (missiles excepted) has a 35% chance to hit the head. Stacking a lot of ++UAC2s and ErMLs gives you a lot of chances to get in half-headcap shots so you only need two to hit and you're firing something like 8 to 10 of them. This gives you a cumulative 80ish percent headcap chance, which is nicer than just stacking weapons that give you a few chances at a full head removal on one shot.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ravenfood posted:

Each shot (missiles excepted) has a 35% chance to hit the head. Stacking a lot of ++UAC2s and ErMLs gives you a lot of chances to get in half-headcap shots so you only need two to hit and you're firing something like 8 to 10 of them. This gives you a cumulative 80ish percent headcap chance, which is nicer than just stacking weapons that give you a few chances at a full head removal on one shot.

Especially since you're doing it at three times the range. I enjoyed my Gauss Marauder (AKA the Mad Dog), but I'd like to try a Moar Dakka version more.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Finally bagged a cat-c4 :woot:

Does this look ok? I felt like it was pretty underarmored stock.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

the yeti posted:

I'd ditch the jets, missile boats don't really need them

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

the yeti posted:

Ditch the Jump Jets and armor until you can rock LRM x 80 :colbert:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Zore posted:

:catstare:

Then you'd get what...3 volleys per 2 tons of ammo?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hi where can I find the mod that makes movement times faster and an Assassin build that isn't loving TRASH

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Zore posted:

this is a joke reply fyi

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Arglebargle III posted:

Hi where can I find the mod that makes movement times faster and an Assassin build that isn't loving TRASH
Assassin + COIL-L

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Ardlen posted:

Assassin + COIL-L

Without JJs I presume?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Huh, so with Ace Pilot, COIL lasers are even stronger than most people think. The build below with a single Coil-S can actually core out via backstab any Mech in the game:

quote:

On approach at the bottom of the round, a precision strike will hit a target for 170dmg, and a moment later at the top of the next it'll hit again in the same spot for 155. Turns out COIL weapons only lose one chevron of charge in the turn after firing, therefor only losing 15dmg from the profile on the follow-up shot. Fast little bugger like the Flea can really make use of these weapons.

325dmg will core pretty much anything in the game, and this little bugger will have run back into cover before anyone can do anything about it. Even standing still it is next to impossible to hit.

Gonna try this build out for fun.

anakha fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 11, 2020

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Ugh, I'm not sure if I'm somehow only just noticing or if something's up with my game, but I'm getting a ton of stuttering in the music lately. Tried swapping to a usb audio source and moving btech back over to my ssd, no change at all. Anyone else had to mess with that?

Edit-- goddamn windows 10 is junk, some audio service decided to start going nuts over my unused onboard sound and was causing this.

After getting that working I have two new toys:

Ballistic fire support Zeus, thinking of trying this instead of the cat-c4

Black knight, dunno how good it actually is but I love the model

the yeti fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jan 11, 2020

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

TotalLossBrain posted:

Without JJs I presume?
Yeah, JJs are just wasted weight since COILs don't work with them.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Think of COILs as like a big static electricity charge you're storing up and the purple electricity building up on your mech's feet as the visualizer for some very big wool socks on a very, very big carpet.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

the yeti posted:

Ballistic fire support Zeus, thinking of trying this instead of the cat-c4

The C4 is better than the Zeus for almost anything you care to name. Friends don't let friends use 80T assaults.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
zeus is cool though

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Jedit posted:

The C4 is better than the Zeus for almost anything you care to name. Friends don't let friends use 80T assaults.

Fitting an ac20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Zeus and Victor are absolutely worse than the Orion, Black Knight, Marauder, Warhammer and Grasshopper. I would probably use a Cataphract instead too.