Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/apiarism/status/1215629162779750401

The funny thing was I was sort of thinking of putting him as second- or third-pref as a bulwark against the Jessflaps Menace on the off-chance that RLB somehow didn't make it through the first rounds.

doesnt this make jessflaps no longer the main threat?
I havent been paying a great deal of attention to this though, why is she the worst one beyond that shes an annoying troll and a bit poo poo? has she been putting out rightwing stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

To me Jessflaps was always a sideshow without a real shot. Like, apart from a bunch of rear end in a top hat columnists, who is her actual base of support inside the party and unions?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Junior G-man posted:

To me Jessflaps was always a sideshow without a real shot. Like, apart from a bunch of rear end in a top hat columnists, who is her actual base of support inside the party and unions?

Yeah this, I don't think she's pulling off a corbyn, but when she gets knocked out her supporters are definitely going to pivot to Starmer. I'm more concerned by the Lavery types converting to Clive Lewis. To be fair he has some good ideas, but attitude towards women and #metoo are a disqualifying factor for me. Probably help with the general electorate though..

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/Lokinash06/status/1215650517189365760?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/TheSun/status/1215284591881142272

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

e. didnt work as well as i thought it did

Thought this was an update on the Marmite fudge for a minute

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Junior G-man posted:

yeah, Starmer's the more obvious pick for the anti-left groups because of his Serious Credentials and his broad appeal/respect - he's just the right sort of person to steer the party back from this silly leftist experiment and let people know the adults are back in charge

even if that isn't his personal outlook, they gotta back someone and he seems like the one they can really work with

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

gotta say this is kinda unnerving

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Miftan posted:

Yeah this, I don't think she's pulling off a corbyn, but when she gets knocked out her supporters are definitely going to pivot to Starmer. I'm more concerned by the Lavery types converting to Clive Lewis. To be fair he has some good ideas, but attitude towards women and #metoo are a disqualifying factor for me. Probably help with the general electorate though..

It doesn't look like Lewis has a prayer of getting on the ballot, so I think we can safely forget him. Thornberry too.

Speaking of, re the RLB/Burgon nominators brought up yesterday: it has been brought to my attention that Rayner has managed to gobble up, like, 70? Plus? Nominations, so it might be that people are throwing Burgon a bone because Rayner's safe and they want to broaden the field.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/apiarism/status/1215629162779750401

The funny thing was I was sort of thinking of putting him as second- or third-pref as a bulwark against the Jessflaps Menace on the off-chance that RLB somehow didn't make it through the first rounds.

There are also a couple of people from Corbyn's team working on Starmer's campaign: Simon Fletcher and someone else who I can't remember right now.

FWIW this looks to me like Starmer is very, very deliberately and not-at-all subtly trying to please everyone. Whether that will work (and whether they can/will work together coherently) is a different issue, but I think it's slightly unfair to portray him as a full-on Progress candidate.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Colour me shocked as gently caress that this is the first reply:

https://twitter.com/Fifi_Borgia/status/1215304657163227136

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

it has been brought to my attention that Rayner has managed to gobble up, like, 70? Plus? Nominations

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1215377862393585664

54 noms still ungiven for deputy and 52 for leader. Number required to get on the ballot is 22.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Apparently this comes up a lot anyway, some technical consultant was posting about being in meetings with these people and instead of talking about the thing the meeting's about they were spending all their time asking about technology to protect themselves and schemes to keep them isolated from the angry hordes

Of course one solution is to try and keep the angry hordes as small as possible by pretending you're doing something through Responsible Capitalism, greenwashing, tech evangelism etc, this looks like more of that

It's Douglas Rushkoff, who's become more and more of a grumpy old man since writing about how awesome the anarchist green internet would be in the 90s and not seeing that happen.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ohhhh so he's massaging some egos in an attempt to make them do the right thing before it's too late

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I had a hearty lol at the idea of "the world is complex, but finance uses physics, and physics is simple".

You don't need more proof that economists do not understand any kind of science at all.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

stev posted:

Colour me shocked as gently caress that this is the first reply:

https://twitter.com/Fifi_Borgia/status/1215304657163227136

https://twitter.com/AyamasMerah/status/1215361676259676161

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm pretty positive that if Brenda dissolved parliament and declared herself an absolute monarch then a large portion of the country would be overjoyed for it.

They'd still complain about unelected officials though.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1215377862393585664

54 noms still ungiven for deputy and 52 for leader. Number required to get on the ballot is 22.

I'll be loving pissed if Butler doesn't make it onto the ballot.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Looking forward to all the columnists and MPs who kept insisting the Labour leader needed to be a woman for the past four years all backing Kier

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm pretty positive that if Brenda dissolved parliament and declared herself an absolute monarch then a large portion of the country would be overjoyed for it.

They'd still complain about unelected officials though.

Better or worse than Boris? I can see a decent coalition for this between the Nationalists and the FBPE lot

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

:siren: UKMT Solidarity & Support Fund Voting :siren:

Hi folks, voting for membership of the UKMT Solidarity and Support Fund committee closes in less than 3 hours!

Voting ends at 7pm, The Queen's Standard and Official Time, Friday 10th January

If you haven't voted yet, do a vote here https://voting.ukmt.fund/

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Glad to see people keeping it classy :v:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/10/xr-extinction-rebellion-listed-extremist-ideology-police-prevent-scheme-guidance

Lol, cops are such loving trash. I hope this radicalises the remaining people in XR who thought they could work with the system.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jan/10/xr-extinction-rebellion-listed-extremist-ideology-police-prevent-scheme-guidance

Lol, cops are such loving trash. I hope this radicalises the remaining people in XR who thought they could work with the system.

lol but alos this is really loving bad

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Apropos of nothing, what’s the word on the next Praxiscast? Seem to recall mention of it last week but nothing so far.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The timecube guy was more coherent.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hahahahah of loving course this is what Prevent is loving about with when we have far right groups who have literally managed to loving murder MPs.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
Leftists and unsubtle Nazis need watching.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Ecological economics has been a proposal forever; giving value to the services that nature provides. Ie; a tree storing carbon. producing oxygen, being a habitat.

Of course it also depends entirely on stopping infinite economic market growth so lmbo

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Zoom! Enhance!

those drat radicals, not liking the way things are and wanting to change them. Absolutely intolerable.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

endlessmonotony posted:

I had a hearty lol at the idea of "the world is complex, but finance uses physics, and physics is simple".

You don't need more proof that economists do not understand any kind of science at all.

I was on a professional training course once in a management related area. One of the lecturers was talking about how complex various subjects were. Knowing I was a STEM person he turned round to me and said "Sorry, but physics is at the bottom, it's the clockwork universe" thus proving he was stuck at GCSE level in his thinking.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

thespaceinvader posted:

Hahahahah of loving course this is what Prevent is loving about with when we have far right groups who have literally managed to loving murder MPs.

To be fair, if you read the full document it's mainly right wing extremist groups that are listed.

PREVENT is still an overwhelming failure as a program though, because the people who it needs to engage with (teachers etc) totally distrust it, for fairly justified reasons. Even under a leftist government this kind of program would get side-eye in a democracy, but given the current Tory party openly flirts with the hard right and the typical bias of police officers, it's no surprise that the program's interpreted as targeting Muslims over all others.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was on a professional training course once in a management related area. One of the lecturers was talking about how complex various subjects were. Knowing I was a STEM person he turned round to me and said "Sorry, but physics is at the bottom, it's the clockwork universe" thus proving he was stuck at GCSE level in his thinking.
What are the most complex subjects according to that model?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Quantum physics rendered that utter bullshit like 100 years ago lmao

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Surely maths is at the bottom in that physics is applied maths, chemistry is applied physics and biology is applied chemistry?

E: Also you know what else goes on the bottom? The foundation. Unless you're a property developer in which case you probably think foundations are optional.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 10, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

What are the most complex subjects according to that model?

I can't remember I was so annoyed. I expect it was one of those Charles Handy (? Was that the name) or Myers Briggs things.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
lmao, Myers-Briggs is astrology for middle managers.

OwlFancier posted:

Surely maths is at the bottom in that physics is applied maths, chemistry is applied physics and biology is applied chemistry?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Guavanaut posted:

lmao, Myers-Briggs is astrology for middle managers.

I don't know, I did the test and got TWAT

seems legit

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thinking, Wanking, Arsehole, Thinking again, the ideal HR type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Are we allowed to partially hand it to Megan and Harry for royally causing a hilarious shitstorm?