Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/1215529125500207104

OP is not the idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always find it amusing that the female orgasm wasn't an acknowledged thing outside of womens circles until like the 70s because all it implies is that for millions of years of evolution, men were just THAT BAD AT SEX. Since the earliest men banging around there, to Christopher columbus exploring, the one thing that no one ever found without a walkthrough was the clitoris. Then one guy finally hit it by accident in 1972 and women collectively just went "FINALLY!"

Adam and Eve invented the euphemism when Adam tried the first time, failed, and Eve went behind a tree to... pet the unicorn. The true original sin was a simple lie "Oh honey... that was... great..."

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:07 on Jan 10, 2020

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

lmao

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Points for honesty. He could have said something like "improved the economy, created more jobs, lowered crime" etc and been 100% in the clear.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Katt posted:

Points for honesty. He could have said something like "improved the economy, created more jobs, lowered crime" etc and been 100% in the clear.

for later

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/TatsuyaIshida9/status/1202641781596114944

Tag yourself I'm the medieval executioner.

(Seriously, though, Sinfest guy has as much "only transphobic to get his deck wet" energy as Graham Linehan)

If I remember correctly, Sinfest Man became a TERF because his girlfriend was one.

TinTower posted:

He posted it on Spinster, too. :allears:

You know, the mastodon that federates with Gab.

His Spinster account posts comics slightly different from what's on his site or his Twitter, where slight dialogue changes make it more blatant that yes, he's talking about trans women and he hates us.

They're deeply weird people.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Ague Proof posted:

His Spinster account posts comics slightly different from what's on his site or his Twitter, where slight dialogue changes make it more blatant that yes, he's talking about trans women and he hates us.

They're deeply weird people.
common theme among TERFs is once you start spouting TERF talking points on social media, it becomes practically the entirety of what you post.

i think the self-reinforcing nature of the TERF community leads to a positive feedback loop, and nothing else they post comes close to that dopamine rush.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

TinTower posted:

He posted it on Spinster, too. :allears:

You know, the mastodon that federates with Gab.

Nazis and the church defending the rights of minorities, that seems historically accurate.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This kid was absolutely paid to be there wasn't he?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/gwensnyderphl/status/1215633930277281792?s=21

Gwen is not the idiot

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
E: misread

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Increased heart rate, sounds good sign me up

Also I can't tell whether they're citing that UC doctor as proof that nicotine is fine actually or to make some weird (((point)))

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Sestze posted:

common theme among TERFs is once you start spouting TERF talking points on social media, it becomes practically the entirety of what you post.

i think the self-reinforcing nature of the TERF community leads to a positive feedback loop, and nothing else they post comes close to that dopamine rush.

Linehan has dropped all pretense and now accuses everyone who disagrees with him of being a pedophile.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

Increased heart rate, sounds good sign me up

Also I can't tell whether they're citing that UC doctor as proof that nicotine is fine actually or to make some weird (((point)))

addicts get spun up in all kinds of rationalizations as to why the addictive substance they are compelled to consume is actually good and healthy if you use it right

there was a guy in d&d who had a whole thread about how big tobacco and the public health apparatus in the united states were in cahoots to suppress plucky little independent vape shops, who provide a healthier way to consume nicotine which is a substance that is totally fine on its own

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

luxury handset posted:

addicts get spun up in all kinds of rationalizations as to why the addictive substance they are compelled to consume is actually good and healthy if you use it right

there was a guy in d&d who had a whole thread about how big tobacco and the public health apparatus in the united states were in cahoots to suppress plucky little independent vape shops, who provide a healthier way to consume nicotine which is a substance that is totally fine on its own

Do they? Cig smokers for sure, and people who are so stoned all the time that it turns them non-functional if you count that as addiction. But my experience with booze and H and other real bad poo poo is that it's either fear of withdrawals for the functional and "the gently caress else have I got to live for?" for the non-functional.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
there's a whole thing in media about a glass of red wine being healthy for you (it's not) because of publications sponsored by european wine makers. i mean a glass of red wine a night isn't going to do significant damage to your body but it's certainly not healthy. healther than drinking multiple sugary sodas tho

people who are addicted to cocaine, opiates etc. sometimes go through a stage where they think "well, this isn't good, but if i maintain at this level i'm fine" and of course nearly nobody maintains at that level of use, the substance use increases and gets worse. but rarely you run in to a functional cocaine or opiate addict who you wouldn't know is a user. and sometimes, these people interpret their weird equilibrium tolerance as 'healthy use' but most folks who use these drugs and aren't wrecked keep quiet about their substance use, and they get away with it if they're not visibly a coke or pill head

as you mention though it's mostly nicotine and weed where addicts have more space to reach a level of use that is arguably functional. nicotine itself doesn't kill you, nor does weed, it's the side effects of excessive use that start doing damage and mark you as a user. this is when people cherry pick studies to make claims that like "nicotine is good for blood pressure" and "thc cures cancer" and things like that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I always find it amusing that the female orgasm wasn't an acknowledged thing outside of womens circles until like the 70s because all it implies is that for millions of years of evolution, men were just THAT BAD AT SEX. Since the earliest men banging around there, to Christopher columbus exploring, the one thing that no one ever found without a walkthrough was the clitoris. Then one guy finally hit it by accident in 1972 and women collectively just went "FINALLY!"

Adam and Eve invented the euphemism when Adam tried the first time, failed, and Eve went behind a tree to... pet the unicorn. The true original sin was a simple lie "Oh honey... that was... great..."

?? no ??

ancient writings from all sorts of cultures refer to sexual practices designed to increase the woman's pleasure. in judaism a wife could divorce her husband for being too crappy in bed. the kama sutra is extremely well known. the loving bible has a love song in it where the woman talks about receiving oral sex.

humans have always known about orgasms and having sex. it's ridiculous to assume that we've discovered some technique in the last fifty years that was unknown for the last fifty thousand.

what you're perceiving is just a couple hundred years of american puritanism that finally ended (in some parts of the country) in the 70s.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

T-man posted:

Hey now serial killers can be trans too!

so I've heard

I havent seen them since the first was hella transphobic, but apparently in Sleepaway Camp 2, the Killer transitions between movies and she becomes way happier and the movie is a horror comedy :unsmith: It's like Nightmare on Elm Street except it's way easier to laugh along with "slasher killer who's trans" rather than "slasher killer who's a pedophile"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/AITA_reddit/status/1215664261856284673?s=19

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

luxury handset posted:

people who are addicted to cocaine, opiates etc. sometimes go through a stage where they think "well, this isn't good, but if i maintain at this level i'm fine" and of course nearly nobody maintains at that level of use, the substance use increases and gets worse. but rarely you run in to a functional cocaine or opiate addict who you wouldn't know is a user. and sometimes, these people interpret their weird equilibrium tolerance as 'healthy use' but most folks who use these drugs and aren't wrecked keep quiet about their substance use, and they get away with it if they're not visibly a coke or pill head

as you mention though it's mostly nicotine and weed where addicts have more space to reach a level of use that is arguably functional. nicotine itself doesn't kill you, nor does weed, it's the side effects of excessive use that start doing damage and mark you as a user. this is when people cherry pick studies to make claims that like "nicotine is good for blood pressure" and "thc cures cancer" and things like that

You run into a ton of functional cocaine users on a day to day basis if you live in any large metropolitan Western city. I'm not saying that the drug doesn't ruin lives and isn't terrible, but it isn't a 100% chance that if you use it you'll end up requiem for a dreaming your rear end into the news. As for opiates, there have been studies done on why America didn't double in addicts after the Vietnam war considering how many soldiers came home with severe addictions, and you realize how much environment has an effect on addiction. Of course now we have a much larger problem with pharmaceuticals and the American pain killer addiction cycles.

As for nicotine itself, that quote is technically true. A lot of the scariness of cigarettes is in its combustion and the toxins from addictive additives in the cigarette. There's definitely some political implications behind the way that quote was used. But it's not to say that it's wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RisBe5sLGPc

There's a ton more literature on the research being done. The best thing in the world is to never smoke anything. But for ex-pack a day smokers like me, e-cigs are a God send. Also i do want to say i recognize nicotine as a harmful substance even by itself, i.e. vaping and I'm hoping to stop entirely this year. It's a journey. I'm perfectly happy with e-cigs being regulated as some sort of addictions treatment. But America's fear mongering about the whole vaping thing is very clearly a marketing campaign by tobacco industries, and as long as cigarettes are still widely available to anyone 18+, any sort of ban on vaping is extremely hypocritical and clearly political.

My partner is the leading researcher into nicotine addictions in the UK and president of a few societies on addiction preventions across the world. I'd be happy to forward any questions if anyone has any.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So what I'm getting is that this poo poo is actually widespread.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

How ironic, sometimes I forget to wash anything BUT my junk in the shower

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Guilty posted:

There's a ton more literature on the research being done. The best thing in the world is to never smoke anything. But for ex-pack a day smokers like me, e-cigs are a God send. Also i do want to say i recognize nicotine as a harmful substance even by itself, i.e. vaping and I'm hoping to stop entirely this year. It's a journey. I'm perfectly happy with e-cigs being regulated as some sort of addictions treatment. But America's fear mongering about the whole vaping thing is very clearly a marketing campaign by tobacco industries, and as long as cigarettes are still widely available to anyone 18+, any sort of ban on vaping is extremely hypocritical and clearly political.

absolutely not - the tobacco companies are going all in on vaping because they want to transition from selling the dirty, unhealthy nicotine to the 'safe, clean' nicotine. they don't care if people use tobacco or not, they very much care if they sell nicotine. as i said, addicts prefer to think that the substance they are addicted to is actually good and healthy and not at all a problem to consume. tobacco companies have been pushing safer versions of their products for decades, and e-cigs and vapes are just the next step in this process

the recent push to make all nicotine products 21+ was endorsed by the tobacco industry because it is the easiest legislation for them to swallow which does not impact their bottom line. people draw a distinction between big tobacco and big vape when this is a false dichotomy between different large firms who all depend on selling an addictive product, nicotine, to a captive audience

the big problem with the 'vapes are safer' argument is that it is a comfortable place for people to rest in addiction without thinking they're killing themselves slowly. as you say, the end of the journey is to quit using nicotine entirely, and as fellow nicotine addicts we should be encouraging any policy stance which prevents people from using nicotine in the first place and becoming addicted. my opinion is that vapes create more nicotine addicts over time than they save, and thus the overall harm reduction experienced by society is illusory. one of the ways to deal with this mental conflict - "vaping is better than smoking" conflicting with "vaping creates more nicotine users over time" is to say things like "actually, nicotine by itself isn't bad for you" which is almost precisely the message that nicotine sellers want people to believe

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

She should definitely dump him, but not for the reason I expected based on the title (but probably for that too).

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Guilty posted:

You run into a ton of functional cocaine users on a day to day basis if you live in any large metropolitan Western city. I'm not saying that the drug doesn't ruin lives and isn't terrible, but it isn't a 100% chance that if you use it you'll end up requiem for a dreaming your rear end into the news. As for opiates, there have been studies done on why America didn't double in addicts after the Vietnam war considering how many soldiers came home with severe addictions, and you realize how much environment has an effect on addiction. Of course now we have a much larger problem with pharmaceuticals and the American pain killer addiction cycles.

As for nicotine itself, that quote is technically true. A lot of the scariness of cigarettes is in its combustion and the toxins from addictive additives in the cigarette. There's definitely some political implications behind the way that quote was used. But it's not to say that it's wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RisBe5sLGPc

My partner is the leading researcher into nicotine addictions in the UK and president of a few societies on addiction preventions across the world. I'd be happy to forward any questions if anyone has any.

well to be fair, how much of the post vietnam opiate usage reduction was merely due to a lack of supply?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

luxury handset posted:

absolutely not - the tobacco companies are going all in on vaping because they want to transition from selling the dirty, unhealthy nicotine to the 'safe, clean' nicotine. they don't care if people use tobacco or not, they very much care if they sell nicotine. as i said, addicts prefer to think that the substance they are addicted to is actually good and healthy and not at all a problem to consume. tobacco companies have been pushing safer versions of their products for decades, and e-cigs and vapes are just the next step in this process

the recent push to make all nicotine products 21+ was endorsed by the tobacco industry because it is the easiest legislation for them to swallow which does not impact their bottom line. people draw a distinction between big tobacco and big vape when this is a false dichotomy between different large firms who all depend on selling an addictive product, nicotine, to a captive audience

the big problem with the 'vapes are safer' argument is that it is a comfortable place for people to rest in addiction without thinking they're killing themselves slowly. as you say, the end of the journey is to quit using nicotine entirely, and as fellow nicotine addicts we should be encouraging any policy stance which prevents people from using nicotine in the first place and becoming addicted. my opinion is that vapes create more nicotine addicts over time than they save, and thus the overall harm reduction experienced by society is illusory. one of the ways to deal with this mental conflict - "vaping is better than smoking" conflicting with "vaping creates more nicotine users over time" is to say things like "actually, nicotine by itself isn't bad for you" which is almost precisely the message that nicotine sellers want people to believe

You can invent stories in your head all you want, but you can also point out specific legislation and give me a day or two and I can find the tobacco company behind the media putsch for that legislation. In almost all cases it's PMI.

PMI doesn't want vaping. Vaping doesn't turn in nearly half the profit cigarettes do over a user's lifetime. Also smokers are more likely to stop smoking through vaping than they are to increase spending. Vaping is a dead end for smokers. It's in PMI's best interest to manufacture this controversy over vaping because in the end, they win either way. Juul is owned by Altria already, and they don't give a poo poo if it's banned because PMI is what's bringing in the money anyways. This whole past year has been a mess for the public because of so many people so quick to hop on a bandwagon and cry wolf over a non controversy and has really distracted from the original issue: cigarettes loving suck.

The more you talk about vaping and the more opinions you have on vaping you are basically playing right into PMI's hands if you don't put an even stronger effort into fighting smoking.

Edit: as to your second point, literally 0 official studies have been done have proven that vaping leads to smoking in any significant manner. This guardian article cites several, can find you more if you like.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/dec/28/vaping-is-95-safer-than-smoking-claims-public-health-england

I'm not saying it doesn't happen in real life. I'm sure you know someone or someone's little nephew etc. Etc. But it's an extremely difficult statement to prove definitively that vaping has lead to smoking since you'd have to isolate all other psychological and environmental factors that might lead one to smoke.

Guilty has a new favorite as of 17:55 on Jan 10, 2020

Guilty
May 3, 2003

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

well to be fair, how much of the post vietnam opiate usage reduction was merely due to a lack of supply?

Like 0. There's tons of heroin in the US and it's super easy to get.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I have also not given a woman an orgasm in 200 years due to my puritanical beliefs.

And my unwashed genitals.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Guilty posted:

You can invent stories in your head all you want, but you can also point out specific legislation and give me a day or two and I can find the tobacco company behind the media putsch for that legislation. In almost all cases it's PMI.

PMI doesn't want vaping. Vaping doesn't turn in nearly half the profit cigarettes do over a user's lifetime. Also smokers are more likely to stop smoking through vaping than they are to increase spending. Vaping is a dead end for smokers. It's in PMI's best interest to manufacture this controversy over vaping because in the end, they win either way. Juul is owned by Altria already, and they don't give a poo poo if it's banned because PMI is what's bringing in the money anyways. This whole past year has been a mess for the public because of so many people so quick to hop on a bandwagon and cry wolf over a non controversy and has really distracted from the original issue: cigarettes loving suck.

The more you talk about vaping and the more opinions you have on vaping you are basically playing right into PMI's hands if you don't put an even stronger effort into fighting smoking.

Well I mean on top of that vapers have also been tremendous assholes in general over the last few years. Acting like early smokers and vaping everywhere they could until they were physically forced to stop. Either by changes in laws or by establishment rules.

A restaurant I worked at had to change the no smoking sign to this recently

I'm sure you don't need the text translated.

Vapers in general have been a surprisingly unsympathetic group.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
sigh

luxury handset posted:

also lol at thinking there's a difference between big tobacco and big vape. the tobacco firms know their reputations are in the toilet and people dislike their main product line, this is why they want to put on a disguise and sell nicotine in a different format which is entirely not at all a wholly owned subsidiary of altria inc

surely though i can be convinced that this form of nicotine consumption is actually the kind that big nicotine gets hopping mad about when i purchase and consume. i'll stick it to the man by buying their product in a different store, in a different format - that'll show em

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

?? no ??

ancient writings from all sorts of cultures refer to sexual practices designed to increase the woman's pleasure. in judaism a wife could divorce her husband for being too crappy in bed. the kama sutra is extremely well known. the loving bible has a love song in it where the woman talks about receiving oral sex.

humans have always known about orgasms and having sex. it's ridiculous to assume that we've discovered some technique in the last fifty years that was unknown for the last fifty thousand.

what you're perceiving is just a couple hundred years of american puritanism that finally ended (in some parts of the country) in the 70s.

In Medieval times they thought a female orgasm was necessary for pregnancy.

Ancient peoples were remarkably cosmopolitan in between bouts of religious fanaticism.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Krispy Wafer posted:

In Medieval times they thought a female orgasm was necessary for pregnancy.

I'm sure women appreciate science debunking that.

Cirrhosis Johnson
Jan 9, 2014

Isn’t this somewhat true though? TERFs really do hate men, and they see transwomen as just men trying to occupy their “safe” spaces.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Cirrhosis Johnson posted:

Isn’t this somewhat true though? TERFs really do hate men, and they see transwomen as just men trying to occupy their “safe” spaces.

He's trying to hitch the misandry bandwagon to the plight of the trans community.

Sever that thing like a diseased limb and let it crash and burn.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Guilty posted:

Like 0. There's tons of heroin in the US and it's super easy to get.

Was that the case post-Vietnam though? I thought heroin took off later than that.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
They don't hate men but think men have too much power and they're right there. They just don't accept that trans women are women and they're wrong there. So no it's not misandry it's just hating trans people.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Did anyone say arm reduction yet?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Katt posted:

He's trying to hitch the misandry bandwagon to the plight of the trans community.

Sever that thing like a diseased limb and let it crash and burn.

So the poster is an MRA type who pushes the misandry -greatest struggle of our time crap pretty hard? Because absent that context I assumed it was a feminist pointing out that the real hatred of men is poo poo like TERFism. I don't want to say there's some fell-blown movement to reclaim the term or anything, but I've known feminists to say misandry when they want to make a point about the real problems men face under patriarchy, in contrast to the ones that the misandry-criers harp on. Like you want to talk about hating men, then lets talk about these assholes that hate men so deeply they loath women who were classified as men and consider them the greatest threat to womankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
It seems to me that the TERF umbrella has spread to anyone outside of the right wing who has it out for trans people specifically.