Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Goon Danton posted:

Ecofascism isn't a hot take, it went bad in the fridge and you're just microwaving it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
don't let the synpa make you think goon danton had the hot take

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hedenius posted:

Hot take from me: how about everyone worried about “overpopulation” just kill themselves to help alleviate the problem? But I somehow have the feeling that they don’t consider themselves a part of the problem. It’s always some guy in China or India.

are you suggesting that the actual “solution” to “overpopulation” is for everyone who’s worried about people who are worried about “overpopulation” to kill everyone who’s worried about “overpopulation” to help alleviate the problem of an overpopulation of people “worried” about overpopulation?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

doing a sentence diagram like middle school to try and parse this loving post

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

doing a sentence diagram like middle school to try and parse this loving post

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pirate Radar posted:

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo.

That doesn’t make any sense.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/harvardbiz/status/1214870074500235264?s=21

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Saying the quiet part loud and the loud part quiet?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think they just dropped the quiet part entirely and went mask-off for the capitalist end game.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

We have an overpopulation problem - an overpopulation of capitalists and aristocrats!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
If we give everyone first world levels of living standards and consumption they too can stop making children at the same rate we've reached, overpopulation solved. :colbert:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I mean it seems mostly like a sane take. Or at least getting really close to but missing the point. The blurb is super clickbaity

quote:

Together, these books paint a bleak picture but also offer a weird kind of comfort. They assure me that the tension and guilt I feel as a working mother isn’t something I can relieve on my own or even with support from my family-focused husband, fabulous nanny, dear circle of sister-moms, and deeply empathetic boss and colleagues. It will take an entire society (perhaps one a little more like Sweden’s) to truly ease the burden.

While I and most other working moms I know would love to give 100% to both our jobs and our kids, we can’t accomplish the impossible.

very privileged take not withstanding

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Lots of "ideal" things you can't be if you go by their definition of successful.

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

YaketySass posted:

If we give everyone first world levels of living standards and consumption they too can stop making children at the same rate we've reached, overpopulation solved. :colbert:

No but you see if we let everyone in China or India live like Americans, they will destroy the planet with their overconsumption!!!! Only the Westerner can live in such excess and not doom the planet, everyone else will just have to deal with it!!!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

cool dance moves posted:

No but you see if we let everyone in China or India live like Americans, they will destroy the planet with their overconsumption!!!! Only the Westerner can live in such excess and not doom the planet, everyone else will just have to deal with it!!!!

I like the take I got yesterday where they were lamenting the fact the "Earth's biocapacity" could only sustain a quality-of-life "comparable to Cuba's" at our current levels of population, so therefore you really had to reduce the population or else.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

I like the take I got yesterday where they were lamenting the fact the "Earth's biocapacity" could only sustain a quality-of-life "comparable to Cuba's" at our current levels of population, so therefore you really had to reduce the population or else.

where do you even go with someone who's just straight-up "it is inevitable and right that ten million children must die so that I may have a new car every three years"

aside from prison I mean

A Wizard of Goatse has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Jan 10, 2020

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas but the kid is the entire global south.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

sorry Yin Sheng, Apple just released a new iphone that does 3d selfies so it's forced sterilization for you

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

YaketySass posted:

the first time I thought about that story after years of having forgot about it, my first though was "They only forced one child to live in horrific conditions? drat, they're much less horrendous than current society."

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

the people complaining about overpopulation always have a far greater carbon footprint than anyone living in a developing country so it’s only logical for them to “go first” so to speak

but obviously they want to genocide the poors so they get to keep living their unsustainable lifestyles

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
They're gonna have a surprise regarding who makes their lifestyle possible in the first place.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

https://twitter.com/t_ruggeri/status/1214624849722626048?s=21

Men make film LIKE THIS and women be makin film like this

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh no not a quality of life comparable to the nation with the best healthcare on the planet lol

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

YaketySass posted:

It’s a metaphor, yes

Serf
May 5, 2011

Trash Ops posted:

https://twitter.com/t_ruggeri/status/1214624849722626048?s=21

Men make film LIKE THIS and women be makin film like this

little women was good and all i've seen is praise for it. i feel like people are making up criticism at this point

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

More carbon pollution comes from 330 million americans than any country except china, and they have 1.4 billion people and population controls in place already. Talking about overpopulation in regards to climate change is dumb as hell, because it a very few specific first world culprits that are doing most of the damage.

I believe everyone should have a decent, first-world standard of living and that is not possible with the number of people on the planet

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Fair enough, but the entire EU has 518 million people and still only makes 70% of the pollution the US does. It actually has less than half the pollution per capita of the US. In fact per capita basically every major country except Canada, Australia, and Saudi Arabia is below the US in carbon pollution.

Climate change has been, and still is, entirely a problem of politics. We could generate enough power for the entire US with solar panels, using like 0.6% of the land space in the country. And plenty of that could be on rooftops and otherwise distributed. But we don't and we won't.

The idea that too many people in the third world are having kids, and that is somehow the actual problem is wrong as hell. Malthusianism is dead for a reason.

yeah I'm not a Malthusian

Hedenius posted:

Hot take from me: how about everyone worried about “overpopulation” just kill themselves to help alleviate the problem? But I somehow have the feeling that they don’t consider themselves a part of the problem. It’s always some guy in China or India.

I believe killing people to solve overpopulation is immoral. the solution is to have fewer kids and I'm putting my money where my mouth is there

gradenko_2000 posted:

the actual QoL sustainable with Earth's biocapacity (by taking the average global income and dividing that by how much we're overshooting) is the equivalent of an American making about $1500 per year. not per month, per year

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Serf posted:

little women was good and all i've seen is praise for it. i feel like people are making up criticism at this point

They aren't criticizing her direction they're saying she's been snubbed for awards nominations, which I think is valid.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Serf posted:

this is just a part of movie marketing now

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
if you believe overpopulation is a problem controlling births is an insanely limp dicked solution.

especially if you believe it’s necessary

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Its Chocolate posted:

the actual QoL sustainable with Earth's biocapacity (by taking the average global income and dividing that by how much we're overshooting) is the equivalent of an American making about $1500 per year. not per month, per year
hell of a thread to toss that one out

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Its Chocolate posted:

I believe everyone should have a decent, first-world standard of living and that is not possible with the number of people on the planet

I believe killing people to solve overpopulation is immoral. the solution is to have fewer kids and I'm putting my money where my mouth is there

lol at just all of this

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

Its Chocolate posted:

Hahahahaha

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Its Chocolate posted:

now in the magical scenario where communism has been magically applied do adjusting cost of goods after not having to use resources for a bunch of useless bullshit and reduce artificially inflated costs because of relative and/or perceived value

Ugato has issued a correction as of 19:46 on Jan 10, 2020

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FFT posted:

hell of a thread to toss that one out

it's at home

CharlestheHammer posted:

if you believe overpopulation is a problem controlling births is an insanely limp dicked solution.

especially if you believe it’s necessary

"I believe in climate change, which is why by 2050 I want to have implemented a very progressive carbon credits system" but for genocide

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
*jacking off* I'm doing my part.

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within

Its Chocolate posted:

please stop telling us you don't gently caress and that it makes you moral or whatever, it's kinda weird.

Serf
May 5, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

They aren't criticizing her direction they're saying she's been snubbed for awards nominations, which I think is valid.

oh i see. yeah that makes sense. although i think movies like little women, uncut gems and 1917 shouldn't be up for awards because they literally just came out anyways. put them up next year

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

where do you even go with someone who's just straight-up "it is inevitable and right that ten million children must die so that I may have a new car every three years"
Tens of millions of children will die from climate change even if every rich country in the world immediately switched their entire economies to a sustainable model, thus an excess of children is the problem. Please ignore the hundreds of millions to billions who will die if we don't.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

There is no alternative, I intone solemnly as I hammer the button that feeds people I don't know into a wood chipper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

YaketySass posted:

also no one walks away and they keep asking if putting another kid in there would make things even better