Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I used a lot of the sign powers, as they were tons of fun. But the shield one that pushes people away when it breaks is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

History Comes Inside! posted:

Volume all the way down because you're playing handheld in the livingroom while your wife binge watches bad reality tv is the only way to enjoy pretty much any game tbh so it doesn't even matter.

This is me most of the time, I usually forget to grab headphones before laying down on the couch and screw getting back up.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Your Computer posted:

I tried a bit of the mystery dungeon demo and while it's very cute it feels like it might be a bit too simple? I mean I didn't even finish the demo so I'm sure there's more to it, but even attacking is just "press attack button" and the game handles move selection, targeting and everything?

I've always been interested in trying these games tho

There's ways to choose the move yourself, it's ZL + A/B/X/Y. Hold Y and you can change your direction without moving. I never played Red Rescue/ Blue Rescue, but from the other three games the main story is pretty easy Mystery Dungeon gameplay and all the really hard poo poo is post-game.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rosalie_A posted:

poo poo ton of good info on Into the Breach

Yeah, this is good stuff. There's so much more involved with this game, other than 'just hit them until they die'. For me, I had to get over the whole 'let them damage me to save a city thing' at first, but it didn't take long for that to make a lot of sense. You get healed between fights, but you'll be missing that power going forward.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah, this is good stuff. There's so much more involved with this game, other than 'just hit them until they die'. For me, I had to get over the whole 'let them damage me to save a city thing' at first, but it didn't take long for that to make a lot of sense. You get healed between fights, but you'll be missing that power going forward.

It's definitely a mental hurdle to get over. For a lot of strategy games, the primary objective is a goal you float just over the threshold for while you try to maximize your secondary objectives. For Into the Breach, you can't really do that: sacrificing one or two grid points for an bonus objective or to keep your mech alive might be worth it (because your gains from a perfect island/what you'd have bought/your mech being alive to take actions in the upcoming rounds make up for it), but not always and almost certainly any more than that is explicitly walking down the path to a loss. If you're used to thinking in "the only life point that matters is the last" terms and consider the extra grid points above that a resource to be spent on tactically letting enemies get through then you'll get your face slammed by bugs on a future island because you've got five threats hitting five cities and now you don't have a cushion to work with.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
Looking at the new years sale, how are SteamWorld Dig 2 and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night? They both look pretty interesting.

And for someone who bought a Switch a few days ago, are any of the other titles on sale "must haves"?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If you haven't already please buy Dig 2. It's a great game.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Seconding that Dig 2 is great. You don't need to play the first one, but it outdoes its predecessor in every way so it might be harder to go back to that after. It's a steal at this price.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
RotN is a fantastic game but the Switch version, while fine since the patch, is the weakest port.

Pros:
- game has been patched to fix most of the performance issues
- portable
- if you like SotN, this game is the closest thing we've had to it in two decades

Cons:
- 30 fps compared to the PS4 60 fps
- load times kinda suck but are bearable
- some particle effects are not as prominent but it's only noticeable if you played one of the other ports

Basically the Switch version is fine but if you can get it on PS4 that's how I would do it. If being portable matters to you, you'll probably be happy with this.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Sjonkel posted:

Looking at the new years sale, how are SteamWorld Dig 2 and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night? They both look pretty interesting.

And for someone who bought a Switch a few days ago, are any of the other titles on sale "must haves"?

Both are good but I'd say Dig 2 is better. I played Bloodstained on PS4 so I can't comment on Switch performance but I enjoyed it.

Celeste is on sale for $10, get it. Stardew Valley is as well.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Yeah, as much as I want to have gyro-aiming for RE4 (gyro > pointing the wiimote at the screen :colbert:), I still love the game to death, and since the Switch is really my only gaming rig, I need it back in my life.

Having never played any RE4 with enhanced aiming, I'm very happy it's the same as the GC. The game was undoubtedly built with the tank controls in mind, and the tension comes from your movements and inability to target too quickly. Some may see that as a fault, but frankly you're pretty over-powered anyway once you get going that any artificial scare is worth it.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The Wii port of RE4 is the easiest because of the controls and that's also why it's the most fun and best version.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
just get the vastly superior Bloodstained, Curse of the Moon, for sixbux instead

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

American McGay posted:

The Wii port of RE4 is the easiest because of the controls and that's also why it's the most fun and best version.

I've said it before, but tilting a controller is a better way to aim than pointing a wiimote at a screen. For one thing, there's no opportunity for it to get screwed up, no need for line of sight or anything.

Gyro aiming's the best :colbert:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Bleck posted:

just get the vastly superior Bloodstained, Curse of the Moon, for sixbux instead

Seconding this, except you should get this and whatever else you want

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I enjoyed Curse of the Moon much more since I’m one of those weirdos that prefers pre-SOTN Castlevania.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I've said it before, but tilting a controller is a better way to aim than pointing a wiimote at a screen. For one thing, there's no opportunity for it to get screwed up, no need for line of sight or anything.

Gyro aiming's the best :colbert:

Y'all on some next level poo poo. Personally, I still need to see the game I'm playing to be able to actually play it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Sam Faust posted:

Y'all on some next level poo poo. Personally, I still need to see the game I'm playing to be able to actually play it.

You know what I meant :argh: Line of sight for the wiimote, which was never, truly problem free, especially with the light bar

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The big Into the Breach hurdle I had to get over was the SRPG "ranged/artillery in the back, melee in the front" thing. It's usually better to control the map center.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
Into the breach is an amazing game but I had to stop playing because it requires too much thinking. It's like trying to play slay the spire optimally when you have frozen eye.

Normal is pretty easy because it usually gives you one enemy per mech, hard is when the real game starts.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Kin posted:

So what's the huge appeal of the Fire emblem game that made it one of the most popular games on the Switch?

I was a big fan of the FF tactics style games war back and when I've tried for emblem games in the past, I've always kind of bounced off them.

I think it's things like the story that just don't engage with me. Ie the Dynasty Warriors one was a bit bland and I think the 3DS one was just OK IIRC.

Is that what's different this time round? Like the story is really engaging as well as having a good battle system?

I think the huge appeal is due to the story and the characters.

What's cool about the story is that there are 4 different routes to play. The game starts with you teaching at a military academy, and halfway through, war breaks out between the three countries. So you'll be fighting against fellow teachers and students.

The different routes vary in quality. What's particularly exciting is that one of the routes has you as the aggressive conquering faction, and it's really well written and sympathetic as opposed to just evil to be evil.

The characters, both in voice acting and dialogue are really well done. You get really attached to your students and see them become better people and work together as a team. A lot of the lines are really funny, and the sappy stuff is good too.

The battle system is mostly identical to previous Fire Emblems. It's the basic grid, keep squishy units in the back and tough units up front, combat system. You do get a rewind feature which is awesome. There are new special attacks to cause status effects and the like, but they're generally overkill on normal and hard (I haven't played the hardest difficulty). I would not buy this game for in depth strategy, there are better options for that.

I will warn you that there is a LOT of downtime, reading, and busywork between battles. If you like reading, that's great, but even people that love the game think that the balance between fighting and talking is really skewed.

It's also worth pointing out that while you'll get a complete story if you play through 1 route, you won't learn EVERYTHING unless you play all 4, which is a serious time investment even on new game plus. It's not required, but this game can last you months if you want.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
4?? But there are only three houses?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

this is hufflepuff erasure

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

COOL CORN posted:

Black Eagles have two routes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

There's ways to choose the move yourself, it's ZL + A/B/X/Y. Hold Y and you can change your direction without moving. I never played Red Rescue/ Blue Rescue, but from the other three games the main story is pretty easy Mystery Dungeon gameplay and all the really hard poo poo is post-game.
oh neat, I had no idea there even was a post-game in these

thanks y'all!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Oscar Wild posted:

I, an adult male, am extremely excited for Animal Crossing.

https://twitter.com/smackbeth1/status/1214625952292069387?s=19

This is a flawless crossover representation of things I enjoy.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Weedle posted:

this is hufflepuff erasure

"No... POOFTAS!" <:australia:>

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mister Facetious posted:

Is your name not Bruce?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Oscar Wild posted:

I, an adult male, am extremely excited for Animal Crossing.

https://twitter.com/smackbeth1/status/1214625952292069387?s=19

I need to get a new Switch for Animal Crossing but I'm waiting in case they announce they're doing a special edition Animal Crossing colored Switch

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Mister Facetious posted:

That's a good Monty Python sketch but that particular line isn't something I'd quote from it unless I was 100% sure everyone in the room would get the reference.

And even then,

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Gripweed posted:

That's a good Monty Python sketch but that particular line isn't something I'd quote from it unless I was 100% sure everyone in the room would get the reference.

And even then,

That's why i used it in a video games thread on a forum where the average age is well over thirty. :q:

Quoting Python is still valid nerd cred tender. Give it another five or ten years.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 11, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mister Facetious posted:

Quoting Python is still valid nerd cred tender.

:wrong:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mister Facetious posted:

That's why i used it in a video games thread on a forum where the average age is well over thirty. :q:

Quoting Python is still valid nerd cred tender. Give it another five or ten years.

Sure but I generally try to avoid the quotes that include offensive slurs.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

get out of my cheese shop

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

God drat there's a lot of warring in hyrule warriors

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Conversation already kinda ended but the only reason games are $60 is cuz that’s the most ur gonna get ppl to pay.
Yeah, they used to cost more, but consoles were (deliberately) revived by Nintendo as a high end toy for middle class families. Now, the markets broader (on both ends) and if u wanna make money you find a way to split the difference.
That’s the reason stuff like fortnite is the biggest game in the world, past the entry fee of a console/pc you can play it for free if ur poor and if you’ve got money there’s no end of buckets to dump it into.
Other companies rapidly discount their games past release to broaden the market past people who can easily afford it and then pump them full of dlc so they don’t lose em.
Nintendo splits the difference by avoiding the rapid discounting so their products hold some sort of continued resale value and generally have a “value” feel of continued play (look at the SIZE promise in Smash or Mario or Zelda) but also make an effort so that the dlc feels like an extension of value (but to a lesser degree than the games themselves). Also they make money off the hardware (and the software justifying the hardware) so their goals are slightly different
Game freak...is it’s own company idk they got their own thing goin on I don’t play Pokémon

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

So weird nitpick: the screen on my Switch sticks out like a millimeter on the ride side. Don't know if it always been like that and never noticed(since I hadn't really used it in handheld mode until recently) or something that's happened over time. I'm probably just getting obsessive over a minor imperfection, but it's bugging the ever living gently caress out of me since I've noticed it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Can be a symptom of battery swelling, an actually dangerous problem.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Can be a symptom of battery swelling, an actually dangerous problem.

Yeah, keep an eye on it and call Nintendo if it gets worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Or you could have ants building a nest in there.