Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Have both but Azul is far above A2ul on my list. Plays so quick and tight, easier to teach as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
There is a Hansa Teutonica big box on the way, but no estimated release date

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm going to bet on 4 HTs fitting inside the HT big box

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

I've played Maskmen with two different groups, and both times we were having such a good time a player ordered the game off Amazon while we were playing it. Thanks to whomever was emphatically recommending that in the thread earlier.

My wife is interested in The Fox in the Forest for a quick 2 player game, anyone know anything about it?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Llyranor posted:

There is a Hansa Teutonica big box on the way, but no estimated release date

Still only an idea according to the publisher at Essen

Fox in the Forest is my favorite trick taking game and one of the best small 2p games. The coop version Duet is also out now and looks equally good.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I got myself something as a late birthday present to myself: a copy of Diskwars :razz:

Been wanting one a long time and grabbed a reasonably priced copy. I'm a sucker for well executed clever ideas, regardless of how well they did or didn't sell.

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007

Mayveena posted:

Hansa Teutonica!!!!! Love that game. Starts out looking like multi player solitaire, ends up with a lot of annoyed players (they'll get over it when they see the strategic possibilities).

Bottom Liner posted:

It’s out of print and hard to find because no one wants to get rid of it!
Yeah, I can't remember where I heard about it, but it looks interesting given the games I've liked so far. I'm in Canada, and a French edition is available here. I can read French well enough (definitely not fluent, though), and I don't think the gameplay itself requires any reading so it's not a barrier in that sense, but the price tag being about $20 higher than the English edition is making me hesitate (although it's certainly cheaper than ebay). Is it likely to be reprinted in English? I don't know much about how publishers decide what to keep in stock or what to reprint.

El Fideo posted:

Your tastes and mine have a lot of overlap!

On the filler side, look at Raptor, Schotten Totten, Qwixx, maybe Goodcritters. Also, get a Rage deck, teach your friends Sticheln.

Light to mid Euros... I'd say Blue Lagoon, Ra, Via Nebula, Fresco, and possibly Broom Service.

Istanbul and Condottierre are real good poo poo. If you go on BGG, you'll find a ton of grognards telling you that the new version of Condottierre is a mockery of the beautiful and perfect original, but I've enjoyed it just fine.

And then I look at your list. Tobago probably is out of print. Consider Cryptid instead? If you want other deduction games, Zendo, or wait for Awkward Guests to hit retail sometime soonish. 6 Nimmt is a marvelous filler that plays differently at different player counts, and just a good deck of cards to have, since it also lets you play The Game, The Mind, and No Thanks!, which is one of the best fillers literally ever.
I haven't yet played any deduction games (or however you'd describe the main mechanic), so Tobago caught my eye, but Cryptid looks even more interesting, so thank you! I definitely want to pick up 6 Nimmt, so it's good to know that the deck can be used to play other games as well. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be available anywhere besides ebay (which adds shipping and customs/duties fees, making it pretty expensive for what it is. I suppose it's the kind of game where you could create your own cards, but I don't know the best way to go about that).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

I've played Maskmen with two different groups, and both times we were having such a good time a player ordered the game off Amazon while we were playing it. Thanks to whomever was emphatically recommending that in the thread earlier.

My wife is interested in The Fox in the Forest for a quick 2 player game, anyone know anything about it?

I was at least one such person. Maskmen is so delightful.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I've been thinking about Bus a lot lately. The rules are so simple and elegant for what seems to be a pretty deep game. I've even tried a solo 3p game on TTS, and again the mechanisms have felt really clever.

The only problem is that I'm not sure my group will take to such a potentially mean/cutthroat game. The game is pricey enough that I don't want to gamble on a potential flop.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

mellifluous posted:

I definitely want to pick up 6 Nimmt, so it's good to know that the deck can be used to play other games as well. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be available anywhere besides ebay (which adds shipping and customs/duties fees, making it pretty expensive for what it is. I suppose it's the kind of game where you could create your own cards, but I don't know the best way to go about that).

Amazon.ca lists 6 nimmt for about $15 including shipping, unless I'm misreading things. The other option is to get a copy of either The Mind or The Game, and use them to play 6 Nimmt, the only difference that you'd be capped off at "only" 9 players.

eta:Also you'd have to remember how many points each card is worth, but that's trivial. Literally just check the last digit.

El Fideo fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 10, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I got myself something as a late birthday present to myself: a copy of Diskwars :razz:

Been wanting one a long time and grabbed a reasonably priced copy. I'm a sucker for well executed clever ideas, regardless of how well they did or didn't sell.

Congrats on your forthcoming purchase of a second core and two expansions and your later forthcoming homebrew factions

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Llyranor posted:

I've been thinking about Bus a lot lately. The rules are so simple and elegant for what seems to be a pretty deep game. I've even tried a solo 3p game on TTS, and again the mechanisms have felt really clever.

The only problem is that I'm not sure my group will take to such a potentially mean/cutthroat game. The game is pricey enough that I don't want to gamble on a potential flop.

I've had several groups that really enjoyed it. But the group that usually played the heaviest games did not like it. They found the game to be far too mean, since every player will have at least one action that feels totally wasted, unless the rest of the players are really bad. But anyone who is willing to accept serious hate-drafting in a drafting game should tolerate Bus.

Also, Maskmen is good, but hard to sleeve. The game only barely fits in the box already. I'd need to put it in a MTG box instead if I wanted room for sleeves.

mellifluous
Jun 28, 2007

El Fideo posted:

Amazon.ca lists 6 nimmt for about $15 including shipping, unless I'm misreading things. The other option is to get a copy of either The Mind or The Game, and use them to play 6 Nimmt, the only difference that you'd be capped off at "only" 9 players.

eta:Also you'd have to remember how many points each card is worth, but that's trivial. Literally just check the last digit.
:doh: I totally forgot to check Amazon. It's the German edition, but I will find the English rules elsewhere online. Thank you again!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

StashAugustine posted:

Congrats on your forthcoming purchase of a second core and two expansions and your later forthcoming homebrew factions

Need someone to play it with, first! :downsrim:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
after conversations with a couple of different gaming groups over the holidays I'm now convinced that I'm the only person on the face of the planet who prefers the word version of Codenames to the picture one

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
You're not alone, pictures flopped among all of my family and other players. It was neat to try but you just can't string together sick nasty moves like you can with words.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Codenames Pictures and every themed Codenames is inferior to regular words Codenames.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Pictures rule

To dude looking for 6 nimnt, there is this that I stumbled upon
Take 5: 2 Games in 1 U.S. Version of 6 Nimmt! with Take A Number (X Nimmt!) Included https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07H73TCT1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WtpgEbZ14NJHE

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yeah my main problem with it (besides being more of a verbal person than a visual one) is that it seems to heavily favor the team that plays first, since getting a consistent 2 tiles per clue is really easy whereas getting 3 or 4 is basically impossible, so the second team can only ever catch up and never really take the lead

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Here's my hot code names take: Duet is the best way to play it at any player count.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

[word] 5 everytime or else you're a coward who has no faith in your team mate/s.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

M a x posted:

Here's my hot code names take: Duet is the best way to play it at any player count.

This is true.

Julio Cruz posted:

after conversations with a couple of different gaming groups over the holidays I'm now convinced that I'm the only person on the face of the planet who prefers the word version of Codenames to the picture one

I've met very few people who prefer pictures.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
yeah Duet is just better mechanically but not as fun with a large group because you don't get to constantly give them bad advice and pick on their awful clues.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Said it before, say it again: Pictures is solely an expansion to regular Codenames or Duet. You use it in the 5x5 mixed pictures and words variant, to get the players to forcibly juggle their visual and linguistic processing centers back and forth until they're dizzy. That's it.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I have a couple friends who have dyslexia, and Pictures is obviously better for them. They know how to figure out words in the context of a sentence, but all by themselves, they'll accidentally read them as other words. They don't have any issues with pictures.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Llyranor posted:

Simple: get a better group.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Aeon Trespass Odyssey has their intro / sample / "PnP" on tabletop simulator. Their combat system sounds intriguing so I decided to read up on it and maybe give it a shot.

I can say that "could you explain the rules without referring to anime episodes" really isn't something I thought I'd ever think when reading a board game rulebook.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Said it before, say it again: Pictures is solely an expansion to regular Codenames or Duet. You use it in the 5x5 mixed pictures and words variant, to get the players to forcibly juggle their visual and linguistic processing centers back and forth until they're dizzy. That's it.
Sounds fun. I'm totally stealing that idea.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Losem posted:

Personally I still have all 3 Azul as they all seem to offer a different experience. The original allows you to play it as nice or mean as you want while stained glass feels like it's designed to be more mean. Summer pavilion is by far the friendliest of the 3 with the ability to carry over tiles to the next round. I've only played it once and haven't really delved into but we had very limited player interaction in our first game. One of my friends said it felt like a solitaire version of Azul. Personally, if I had to choose one to keep it would probably still be the original. I still think that's the best version.

I own both and I agree. Azul: SP is good but definitely leans towards "figure out your own poo poo", Azul base game you are rewarded more for paying close attention to your opponent's board.

If I had to pick one, I think I like the base game better.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Redundant posted:

I'll be the first second to recommend Concordia. It has a lot of interesting decisions to make but without too much of a rules overload. I was very hesitant about a game with such a dry theme but every group I've played it with has really enjoyed it.

I've also played it with 2-5 players and with the varying maps each player count has worked well.

Good, simple and fun. It's my benchmark for what I expect from a midweight euro now.

I recommend Concordia as well, and if you play at small player counts a lot the Brittania/Germania expansion is great. I find the small side of the base game map to still be a bit large at 2.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Best way to play 6 nimmt! is find a pile of cheap tokens and play No Thanks! instead.

Tldr I took 6 nimmt! on holiday with the family and we played far more no thanks and the mind with the deck than 6 nimmt!
Something about it just didn't gel with us, strategy is kind of fuzzy, there's enough luck that you kind of don't feel that rush when you make a good play, but still feel cheated when you get hosed. And counting scores between rounds is :effort:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Played Maskmen for the first time last night and I think it's my 3rd favorite Oink game, behind only Fake Artist and Fafnir. Also played Insider recently and it's a contender for worst Oink (hard to beat Nine Tiles, though).

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

So y'know what's not a good game?

Newton. Holy crap why are there so many tracks in this simple market row action builder. I feel like literally half the game could be cut out and it would be far better for it.

Also I went heavy into the books, and both my opponents did not, and I almost had as many points as both of them combined, 142 86 68.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

this happened to me

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Lord Of Texas posted:

I recommend Concordia as well, and if you play at small player counts a lot the Brittania/Germania expansion is great. I find the small side of the base game map to still be a bit large at 2.
I picked up the Venus standalone and the small map (Ionium?) is solid for 2-3 player games. I think I preferred the Britannia map when I played it online but it was a while ago so it's tough to say for certain.

I'm on the cusp of thinking that the salsa expansion will be worth picking up but I'm still kind of on the fence.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Losem posted:

How is Clank! Legacy? I wasn't that impressed with the original but legacy games will at least get me to look at it. Even if the only actual one I've finished is Pandemic Season 1.

I've only played the first three games of the campaign, but from what I can see, the legacy portion isn't going to change your mind on how you view Clank.

There are some bits I like. There are a bunch of market cards that will make players generate Clank when they arrive on the market, and healing/teleports/clank reduction cards have been toned down (for example the healing card generates clank, and heals one damage if you're standing on the right terrain, so at best, it's just delaying the inevitable). This means there's a much greater pressure on players to get in and out quickly, because that bag will kill you. I also like that the minor secrets are just in a pool now, and they pay up no matter how many people wander through the location.

Maybe that's already the case with the other versions of Clank though. I've only played the original.

I like that they've been cautious with giving permanent prizes for winning games. Winning a game is one of the ways you get points with the company, which gets you status levels at certain thresholds, but, at least for the first level, the bonuses you get for achieving it are pretty insignificant. I doubt there's going to be any issues with victory snowballing.

The legacy part is nothing flash so far. You get missions to go to locations on the map or do certain tasks, which will then result in a little story being read and the arriving player making an uninformed choice. A bit like the Road/City cards from Gloomhaven; "You see a dog on the side of the road, do you a) pet the dog or b) throw stones at it?". This will result in some minor change to the game, without the player knowing what those changes were going to be.

To begin with, it's pretty fun to go to these places and do what they ask, but I'm finding it wearing thin after just three games. The story has a irreverent tone, so there's not much role-playing to be done, the choices are made without knowing the consequences, the consequences tend not to be that significant and they rarely impact the other players, and they eat up time as people dig through the story book, sticker sheets, card/token boxes, etc, to deal with the outcome. My opinion is probably skewed slightly because we're playing four player, and one of players has mild AP, so the game deciding to grind to a halt constantly on top of that is becoming insufferable. It's probably a non-issue if your gaming group is pretty quick, but I really wish the decision making was done after the game, not right in the middle of it.

If you already like Clank, I think Clank Legacy would be a good buy. Being afraid of the Clank sack is pretty refreshing, and the legacy missions give a little sprinkling of flavour to each game. If you don't really like Clank, the little sprinkling of flavour probably won't change that.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

Pictures is terrible. Who wants to add like 4 extra layers of mentally parsing clues in a party game

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

Who wants to add like 4 extra layers of mentally parsing clues in a party game
Not me. I'd like more.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anyone played Hall of the Mountain King? Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

No, but it sure makes the Grieg start going through my head.

Singing Mary had a Little lamb to that tune is pretty awesome.