Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 41 hours!
BBC documentary Human Planet has a cool segment on the insane helicopter cattle ranchers in Australia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I like how people run away in a path parallel to the ship's travel. Like just turn right dude.

I assumed that it was a long and narrow pier...

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Holy poo poo , the person falling off the gangplank of the smaller boat.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

I like how people run away in a path parallel to the ship's travel. Like just turn right dude.

I guess that scene in Prometheus wasn't so unrealistic after all.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Aramoro posted:

Four people injured, no shoes missing.

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2019/06/articles/pollution/nograndinavi-msc-opera-smashes-into-dock-and-the-river-countess-in-venice/

Seems MSC boats made a habit of striking dock last year...

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/new-msc-cruise-ship-strikes-dock-in-palermo

... or each other

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2019/02/articles/collisions/msc-orchestra-msc-poesia-collide-buenos-aires/

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 10, 2020

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjbUnn32_zU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Aramoro posted:

If you mean the guy hanging on the pier and the person pulling him up as the ship moves close and at the last second gets him up then yeah that's like out of some action movie. Only missing tom cruise running.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

His Divine Shadow posted:

If you mean the guy hanging on the pier and the person pulling him up as the ship moves close and at the last second gets him up then yeah that's like out of some action movie. Only missing tom cruise running.

yeah i was DEFINITELY watching that whole plank situation, thinking "the water is the worst place to be if you're running from a boat."

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

luxury handset posted:

imagine being a fish getting pulled into a firefighting bomber

hmm. . . . the experience might feel a bit like those of the fish in both of these gifs:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

i dont really ever want to be in the military but god drat when I see air fire fighting or bush pilots doing poo poo like that do i wish i had the experience the military woulda given me for free to be good enough to do that poo poo

...is there a private sector/non military way to get there?

Go to your nearest small airport and sign up to fly light planes. I've tattooed a few pilots who fly private-jet sized planes that just took flight courses until they were capable.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Holy poo poo! Thank you! This has been a thing that’s quietly bugging me for years.

I actually got on the air on Car Talk and asked the Magliozzis about it (around 1991). I think that they thought I was high or something; my call never aired.

At one summer job at a boiler plant, there was a secretary who drove a ‘78 Nova that had this problem. I thought the frames were all racked, or something.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

i dont really ever want to be in the military but god drat when I see air fire fighting or bush pilots doing poo poo like that do i wish i had the experience the military woulda given me for free to be good enough to do that poo poo

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3821398

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

-Zydeco- posted:

In which some Russians make an AMG rim using a steelie and some square stock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuY0_uYO8jk

I started screaming and cant stop. that things going to just collapse and kill someone

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Hence why he says such a wheel should only be used as a decoration on a wall or something.

scopes
Jun 5, 2004

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I started screaming and cant stop. that things going to just collapse and kill someone

Hell, my back is screaming that they did all of that work on the floor, instead of a workbench.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

scopes posted:

Hell, my back is screaming that they did all of that work on the floor, instead of a workbench.

But you would have thrown your back out lifting the wheel up onto a bench! :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KoRMaK posted:

Crop dusting. Air attack companies pull heavily from ex-military and the aerial application industry.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

MrYenko posted:

Crop dusting. Air attack companies pull heavily from ex-military and the aerial application industry.

Still good to remember it's like the most dangerous flying one can do (short of test pilot stuff). Make sure you're affairs are in order before diving in I'd recommend.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My uncle flies waterbombers in Canada and his path, fwiw, was: join the RCAF -> basic pilot training -> rose to captain as a navigator on the CP-140 -> got sick of the military and applied for a discharge -> live on our couch for six months while building up hours to be a commercial pilot -> bush pilot in central america and northern canada for many years -> hired by the OMNR to fly the CL-415.

It doesn't seem like a particularly quick and easy career change

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Proteus Jones posted:

That is some huge brass balls level of flying.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Putting out a request for any great dramatic articles on OSHA disasters. I know I've read a few in this thread's history on the El Faro sinking, the Challenger disaster and the hurricane hunters plane in... Hugo? I believe.

I love those articles.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

DandyLion posted:

Still good to remember it's like the most dangerous flying one can do (short of test pilot stuff). Make sure you're affairs are in order before diving in I'd recommend.

About once a year I see a cropduster doing something so batshit insane looking that I make a point to look for smoke and/or the plane coming back up for another pass.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Omnikin posted:

Putting out a request for any great dramatic articles on OSHA disasters. I know I've read a few in this thread's history on the El Faro sinking, the Challenger disaster and the hurricane hunters plane in... Hugo? I believe.

I love those articles.

https://www.wired.com/2008/02/ff-seacowboys/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Azathoth posted:

About once a year I see a cropduster doing something so batshit insane looking that I make a point to look for smoke and/or the plane coming back up for another pass.

My family was heading down to somehwere, might have been the beach or something. On the way, we saw a crop duster fly under the power lines on the side of the highway to get to a field.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Azathoth posted:

Crop-dusting is doing ariel acrobatics and getting paid to do so.

I loved that show as a kid.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

I loved that show as a kid.

It was the first thing I looked up on Disney+ and was shocked that there was only one season. I remember watching it for years and never realized when I saw reruns, I guess.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

It was the first thing I looked up on Disney+ and was shocked that there was only one season. I remember watching it for years and never realized when I saw reruns, I guess.

One season of 65 episodes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cojawfee posted:

One season of 65 episodes.

All those weekday afternoon cartoons from the 80's and 90's are like that. If they had multiple seasons, the other seasons would end up with random lenghs between 10 and 65

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

This is why you wear the correct PPE when riding a motorbike:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUK16hxemKA
He lived:

quote:

The 35-year-old suffered life-changing injuries after the driver, who was travelling 70mph, hit him on a country road.

Footage was captured on three separate cameras and shows the Subaru flying around a blind left-hand bend before veering onto the wrong side of the road and smashing head-on into his motorcycle.

The experienced rider, from Barnsley, South Yorkshire, suffered a broken back, a broken sternum and a broken wrist in the crash, while his motorbike was destroyed on impact.

"Thankfully, the motorcyclist was wearing a full leather, air bag suit which activated and inflated as he was propelled off his bike. Without it, in a collision at this speed, he would most likely have died"

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Some good OSHA content here from Popular Mechanics:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a30460577/homemade-gas-station/

"Building a Homemade Gas Station Is a Terrible Idea"

Looks like they were dispensing it with a garden hose.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

tangy yet delightful posted:

I wonder if SimCopter has been ported to work on Windows 10...

Good news: http://www.simcopter.net/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I hope that subaru guy goes to prison

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Sagebrush posted:

I hope that subaru guy goes to prison

He was sentenced today to 16 months in jail for causing serious injury through dangerous driving - the video was only released today after the trial

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I love you

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Nothing about this isn't terrifying but that second car that took the turn completely fine very nearly hit the motorcyclist because of how much he launched. And just remember that a lot of people (in the US anyway) fight to prevent helmet laws from passing.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

This has updates not even 45 days ago which just trips me out

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My dad had a very similar accident in the seventies, on a 750cc Honda hit by a drunk driver in a 1966 Pontiac Bonneville. Luckily, the speeds were quite a bit lower, but he still got to learn to walk a second time.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

grillster posted:

This has updates not even 45 days ago which just trips me out

And yet I still can’t play SimTower on modern hardware.

:argh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MrYenko posted:

And yet I still can’t play SimTower on modern hardware.

:argh:

Have you tried Yoot Tower? It seemed to be mostly the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003