Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It’s definitely fun at first to start fresh on a new console... but 5 runs in I’d kill for an option to unlock later ascensions, to be honest!

At least going for the heart every time makes the game harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Glumslinger posted:

Creative AI is always great when I have a Storm deck going, especially if you have any of the power based relics

As much as I adore Creative AI frequently what you get out of it just doesn't justify the cost. Yeah the point of it is is that it's random and sometimes just dicks you over but eh...some games I'm like "this is doing the opposite of helping."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
well it finally happened

i forgot to take the last key at the final camp and had a fun few seconds after "Victory?" popped up before realizing what happened. i knew it was just a matter of time

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Creative AI with mummified hand (and a bird faced urn if you want some overkill) makes some great runs. Just keep a recycle for the creative AI's and Hello World's

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Well, I finally did it:

I can't even imagine getting to the level of that streamer that was mentioned earlier, who did a0-a20 with just one loss. I hit a huge wall at each of 17, 18, and 19 where it took 5-10 games per.

I usually avoid runic pyramid but it works so well with ritual dagger and genetic algorithm. It's really amazing to be finding new synergies hundreds of hours in.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i was bored and did a random boss relic and got runic pyramid and in the first act got the relic that gives you block for discarding and deals 3 random damage for discarding and then i got two copies of the discard your hand/draw your hand card. that was fun.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Had a silent run last night where I had a bottled bullet time, then got a Snecko eye.

Hoo boy, that'll do the job I tell you what

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Creative AI is pretty good on fights where you can just sit back and block and scale, like The Champ. as far as I know, if you don't damage his hp, or just do it really slowly, he doesn't punish you and you can use that time to just stack powers, stack focus, get achievements for getting an absurd amount of focus, and then when you're either ready or bored, you just kill him.

Breaks my heart that Well-Laid Plans got nerfed to 1 Energy in the beta, but I can understand why it was necessary. That card is good as hell and I don't think I've ever not picked it if I didn't already have 1. Being able to hold onto a Catalyst and Piercing Wail when I know I'll need both of those cards at some point in the fight is just so good. Even in early act 1, being able to basically guarantee you'll have 3 strikes in 1 turn makes some fights a LOT shorter.

A Moose fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 9, 2020

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
The Ironclad has moved from my least to most favorite class - upgraded Barricade plus a Mettalicize (or two) and Impervious have carried me through the first 6 ascensions pretty handedly.

Game good.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What are the best builds for minimalist and the single relic achievements for each character?

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

I recommend playing Silent to get the one relic achievement. Just swap your starting relic and hopefully get an energy relic. Then just make a normal block/poison deck on ascension 0.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
Someone posted a 5-card deck earlier that O was incredulous about, but it worked - and you can get the only common card cheevo too.

It was 1x pommel strike, 2x shrug it off, 1x body slam, and your choice of body slam or pommel again. Plan around shops to get as many removes as possible - it helps if you start with the neow that lets you remove a card. Upgrade body slam first, so you get free damage every turn, then the shrugs, then whatever. I got the cheevo first time tried this.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Well I got to the heart after beating the game with 3 characters, then got wrecked. Going to be fun trying to best that thing and unlock higher ascensions on everyone :)

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Is there a particular reward or incentive for going for the Heart?

MuLepton
Apr 1, 2011

It's kind of a long story.
It unlocks beta artwork for the cards.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Zeerust posted:

Is there a particular reward or incentive for going for the Heart?
It's how you get the true endings (with illustrations!), plus beta artwork, plus that the extra challenge can be fun.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

And it gives 250 points if you happen to be tracking score.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Also this isn’t an incentive, but if the Heart kills you you still unlock the next ascension, so feel free to go for it even if you don’t like your chances.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
Oh nice, I've been trying to get A2 with everyone and knowing I won't get beefed out of getting higher Ascensions if I go for it is useful.

My last successful win was an extremely haphazard Defect deck, the one before was a power-focused deck that ended up getting The Awakened One for the Act 3 boss. I think I still could've beaten it if I hadn't used Biased Cognition too soon and ended up with 0 Focus no matter what I did. :saddowns: Defect might be my favourite character overall, the orb stuff clicks in a way the Ironclad and Silent just don't for me.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Defect was my favorite to learn. The orbs are an original and great idea. The powers are also a blast.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

nrook posted:

Also this isn’t an incentive, but if the Heart kills you you still unlock the next ascension, so feel free to go for it even if you don’t like your chances.
It's not even the Heart, right? You just have to beat A3 to unlock the next ascension even if you die to the jerks before it?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yeah, it's act 4 in its entirety. I certainly was never gutted by the spear and shield, so I can't say it's from experience, no siree.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
This was news to me, i dunno about y'all. This is in response to StS coming to mobile

https://twitter.com/MegaCrit/status/1215517488244346882?s=20

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

oh dope posted:

This was news to me, i dunno about y'all. This is in response to StS coming to mobile

https://twitter.com/MegaCrit/status/1215517488244346882?s=20

This what I've been waiting for since early access, switch just ain't mobile enough for me.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I find myself stumbling into run wins almost accidentally with Ironclad and Defect, but I don’t find them as fun as Silent, who I suck with? Lots of the lil fiddly bits with discarding and shivs and backflips and poison sources. Boosting dex and powers to do things for every card played. So very often the poison doesn’t quite scale enough to handle scaling threats.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

shivs are fun but imo you want a mix of card draw, +dex, Leg Sweep and poison sources that aren't Poison Stab

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I feel like when I win with Silent it's usually cause I was able to go big with poison. Catalyst and Nightmare usually wins you the fight against bosses next turn.

Shiv decks seem super finicky and more rng reliant, but a good shiv deck is possible.

The main thing with Silent I think is that:

1. Her draw cards are very situational and I wouldn't pick them until act 2 or 3 with an energy relic present, even backflip is just a defend unless you can use the extra cards
2. Shrieking wail is really good - it rocks against multi enemy fights and multi attacks
3. Don't try to do a shiv deck and a poison deck at the same time - they are anti synergistic. Envenom is a shiv deck card, not a poison card
4. Early caltrops go a long way
5. General tip - don't be afraid to skip - I think this applies more to silent because she has a lot of gimmick cards that aren't worth it. Like sometimes you get offered calculated gamble, prepared, and acrobatic and it's just not worth it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the silent has some pretty strong damage scaling without working super hard for it. deadly poison is a fantastic card, and a single copy of catalyst can be a fight finisher without working too hard for it. i think people get caught up in going too hard on one "gimmick" of the silent and fill their deck with stuff like accuracy or six poison cards which is way too many.

silent actually has some great strength scaling but it can be hard to get strength, but stuff like riddle with holes and dagger spray is really good with just even vajra

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

rabidsquid posted:

silent actually has some great strength scaling but it can be hard to get strength, but stuff like riddle with holes and dagger spray is really good with just even vajra

Today's beta daily is silent with cursed key, du vu, and the modifier that adds 2 extra of a card on pickup.

I ended up with like 20 strength, a bunch of riddle with holes, bottled wraith, and necro. It was glorious. I ended with a score of like 1850 and was in place 400ish.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

the silent has some pretty strong damage scaling without working super hard for it. deadly poison is a fantastic card, and a single copy of catalyst can be a fight finisher without working too hard for it. i think people get caught up in going too hard on one "gimmick" of the silent and fill their deck with stuff like accuracy or six poison cards which is way too many.

I only really am happy about the shiv cards on Silent if I can get shuriken or kunai. Silent is great with both strength and dex up.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Silent in general scales really well with relics so you really want to path out as many elites as possible.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

WrightOfWay posted:

Silent in general scales really well with relics so you really want to path out as many elites as possible.

True dat!

Longtime lurker in this thread, but have loved this game for a while, just under 60 hours played and wanted to post my first heart kill:

Definitely went for quantity over quality here.

I wasn't going for a shiv deck in the beginning, but that's what it turned into by the 2nd act. What really started building up the steamroll effect was the Black Star which gave me 2 relics from every Elite, as well as the shovel, which I opted to dig at almost every rest site. Once I got the "Fan" relic (I forget its name) that gave me block with every 4 attacks, that carried its weight so much and kept me alive through a lot.

Also during the heart fight itself I thought I was dead, but happened to be carrying a fairy in the bottle, which let me finish it off.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The black star is a wonderful momentum-builder but if you have it going into act 2 you're only on 3 energy, probably.

If you swap out your starting relic for it... :q:

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Hackan Slash posted:

Today's beta daily is silent with cursed key, du vu, and the modifier that adds 2 extra of a card on pickup.

I ended up with like 20 strength, a bunch of riddle with holes, bottled wraith, and necro. It was glorious. I ended with a score of like 1850 and was in place 400ish.

This daily was incredible. You get a get a Mind Blast from a shop, upgrade them and copy one with the Mirror from a later shop - with hoarder, it's 6 Mind Blast+ doing easily over 100 damage if you just keep taking cards and curses. One turn'd Donu & Deca clearing it in under 18 minutes (not a great score though, and there's no score bonuses for speed past Light Speed at 45 minutes).

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

pray for my aunt posted:

This daily was incredible. You get a get a Mind Blast from a shop, upgrade them and copy one with the Mirror from a later shop - with hoarder, it's 6 Mind Blast+ doing easily over 100 damage if you just keep taking cards and curses. One turn'd Donu & Deca clearing it in under 18 minutes (not a great score though, and there's no score bonuses for speed past Light Speed at 45 minutes).

Dammit, I never saw any Mind Blasts. But 9 Backstabs were more than enough to finish in 21 minutes with the 20+ strength.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
An interesting part of that run is if you get an event that lets you transform cards, transforming a curse turns that curse into three of a new one.

I try to avoid Mind Blast in runs where you have a massive deck, it just makes it so boring. I had a potion give me one anyway in the final boss fight.

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Unless they changed something in the beta, curses just transform into other curses. You don't get additional one.

E: Nevermind, you're talking about the daily.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

:stonklol:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I'm probably just bad at the game, but isn't floor 28 rather late to get Corruption and have it be fully effective? I mean, unless you were building for exhaust anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Corruption is still good even if you aren’t running The Exhaust Deck. It’s great in hallway fights, which makes up for it being kinda sketchy in long drawn-out ones.