Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Booley posted:

I will literally close discord down before letting you join.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ZSDCvUwN8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
This goose willis talk is reminding me of the halcyon days of The Blue Pyramids early conversions :allears:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I will sponsor goose willis. Invite him.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

I will sponsor goose willis. Invite him.

Let goose in, imo.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I don't care about Goose one way or the other. Let ME in. :)

I've got PMs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Currently working on a Belisarius Cawl and jesus loving christ this is a lot of work. :negative: It just feels more overwhelming maybe because its all one model and is a lot of fine detail work that needs to be done in small stages.

Question for those that have made this model; Did you have trouble glueing him to its base? I can't get the lower body to stick with superglue.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

I said come in! posted:

Currently working on a Belisarius Cawl and jesus loving christ this is a lot of work. :negative: It just feels more overwhelming maybe because its all one model and is a lot of fine detail work that needs to be done in small stages.

Question for those that have made this model; Did you have trouble glueing him to its base? I can't get the lower body to stick with superglue.

I mounted mine on a custom base and I couldn't get all the feet/hoove-things to sit flush/flat on it. I just ended saying screw it and pooled a blob of super glue gel and then just textured around the gap between the foot and the base (about 3mm).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Not specific to that model, but when I have that kind of problem I usually end up putting a pin into the foot and running it down through the base, then folding it against the recessed bottom. It's a little tedious, but I've found that if a model doesn't adhere cleanly to the base to start with, it's also going to want to pop off at random as well, so it's ultimately better to just take serious action up front. The pins don't have to be long, but I usually try to set them at a slight angle so you aren't pulling directly in line when you lift/move the model.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
I painted Cawl and the base separately, then pinned him to the base using little brass rods. Pretty easy and he's stuck to that base tight.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

goose willis posted:

If you put goose on Discord you will regret it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ftfy

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
Eagerly waiting to purchase The Triumph of St. Katherine tomorrow and then take a year to paint all of it.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

Not specific to that model, but when I have that kind of problem I usually end up putting a pin into the foot and running it down through the base, then folding it against the recessed bottom. It's a little tedious, but I've found that if a model doesn't adhere cleanly to the base to start with, it's also going to want to pop off at random as well, so it's ultimately better to just take serious action up front. The pins don't have to be long, but I usually try to set them at a slight angle so you aren't pulling directly in line when you lift/move the model.

The other way is to lay a thin layer of greenstuff over the contact areas, imprint the model and then pop it off if you want to paint it separately. You can then texture the base and the model will just slot back into your custom sockets.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Is there a good TAC build for a Chaos Knight meant to fit a CSM army? I did my first game in 2 years and while I won, I feel the big guy underperformed. It was a FW Cerastus build with a weaker sword that hit twice, and a 14-shot cannon.

Got the feeling that mixed builds are not that hot and we should go full melee craziness or double-guns while hanging back.

Dunkelbrau
Aug 9, 2003

Z the IVth posted:

The other way is to lay a thin layer of greenstuff over the contact areas, imprint the model and then pop it off if you want to paint it separately. You can then texture the base and the model will just slot back into your custom sockets.

I tried this the other day as my first time ever using greenstuff and had some trouble. I tried to take the model off while the greenstuff wasn't yet cured and it pulled apart, making a mess of my man's feet and the base. Should I have just waited for it to cure, or wet the model's feet with water or something so it would imprint but not stick?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Denevian posted:

I tried this the other day as my first time ever using greenstuff and had some trouble. I tried to take the model off while the greenstuff wasn't yet cured and it pulled apart, making a mess of my man's feet and the base. Should I have just waited for it to cure, or wet the model's feet with water or something so it would imprint but not stick?

I would lubricate the greenstuff with something oily - try moisturizing cream. Imprint the model and then remove. If you've lubricated with a cream it will separate cleanly. Don't wait for it to set just in case it "grabs" the model and you make a mess separating it. If it's still sticking put a bit of lubrication on the feet as well.

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn

Just need to add transfers, but I'm really happy with this scheme for my Smurfs.

I'd also like a discord invite ffoecaf@gmail.com

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM6id0QxcHI

Imagine unpacking that bitch at a tourny... xD

Goddamn Imperator in 30mm scale

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Ok, invites sent to those who requested them and aren't named goose willis

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

BrotherJayne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BM6id0QxcHI

Imagine unpacking that bitch at a tourny... xD

Goddamn Imperator in 30mm scale

Based on some fluff descriptions of Imperators that should be a little over 6 feet tall to be properly scaled. Luckily(?) the fluff is so inconsistent that it's probably still accurate to something.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose
I too would also like a discord invite. I can be PM'd

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Denevian posted:

Try vaseline. I use it when making greenstuff bases with a texture roller.

I smoosh down the greenstuff with my fingers into rough shape, put a little bit of vaseline all over it, then use the texture roller. Without the vaseline, the greenstuff sticks all over the texture roller, tearing and smearing, and it's a huge pain to clean off. With vaseline, it imprints perfectly and nothing sticks.

Once the greenstuff has fully cured, I then rinse it off with some isopropyl alcohol while scrubbing it with a toothbrush, and it's ready to prime.

I tried using water once and found that it still stuck and tore the greenstuff.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

Based on some fluff descriptions of Imperators that should be a little over 6 feet tall to be properly scaled. Luckily(?) the fluff is so inconsistent that it's probably still accurate to something.

So, given that it ranges from 50 to 150 meters, I think going with 120 meters was a good choice

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Corrode posted:

I did not get an invite but would like one. I sent you a PM but didn't post. Thanks.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Ultra Carp
I'll take a discord invite, though there's a 90% chance I'll barely lurk and never post. I've got PMs

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
I'd like a discord invite too please

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Look within your heart and know what must be done

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

BrotherJayne posted:

So, given that it ranges from 50 to 150 meters, I think going with 120 meters was a good choice

Because 28mm is roughly 1/64 scale if you go with that 120 meters you end up with a model over 6 feet tall at just short of 1.9 meters. That's still loving massive. I'd estimate those at a little over 5 feet because I have no loving clue how tall those people are, that means they built them assuming a height of 100m for the Imperator.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Duct Tape posted:

Try vaseline. I use it when making greenstuff bases with a texture roller.

I smoosh down the greenstuff with my fingers into rough shape, put a little bit of vaseline all over it, then use the texture roller. Without the vaseline, the greenstuff sticks all over the texture roller, tearing and smearing, and it's a huge pain to clean off. With vaseline, it imprints perfectly and nothing sticks.

Once the greenstuff has fully cured, I then rinse it off with some isopropyl alcohol while scrubbing it with a toothbrush, and it's ready to prime.

I tried using water once and found that it still stuck and tore the greenstuff.

Try moisturizer. Similar effect but less oily so you can wash it off with soap.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

ThoraxTheImpaler posted:

Because 28mm is roughly 1/64 scale if you go with that 120 meters you end up with a model over 6 feet tall at just short of 1.9 meters. That's still loving massive. I'd estimate those at a little over 5 feet because I have no loving clue how tall those people are, that means they built them assuming a height of 100m for the Imperator.

... yeah I probably shoulda mathed it instead of just shrugging it xD

But lets be honest, even in 40k there is gonna be an upper bound to how big poo poo can get and still operate at the bottom of a gravity well, anti grav or no

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Sephyr posted:

Is there a good TAC build for a Chaos Knight meant to fit a CSM army? I did my first game in 2 years and while I won, I feel the big guy underperformed. It was a FW Cerastus build with a weaker sword that hit twice, and a 14-shot cannon.

Got the feeling that mixed builds are not that hot and we should go full melee craziness or double-guns while hanging back.

Double Avenger or Double Thermal.

The former if you think it will last more than a turn, if not the latter.

I prefer the latter because I feel the best use is maximizing the knight with both shooting and its tap dancing mayhem (and the thermal's are cheap cheap and scary to everything). The melee are a waste because the feet are optimal in 80% of the situations you come across.

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE

BrotherJayne posted:

But lets be honest, even in 40k there is gonna be an upper bound to how big poo poo can get and still operate at the bottom of a gravity well, anti grav or no

The Square-Cube Law is a lie concocted by the Eldar to try and keep other races from from advancing. Enough faith can counteract both gravity and angular momentum.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
If the orks can do it with their wagh power, then the mechanicus can do it with their belief in the omnissiah.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Z the IVth posted:

Try moisturizer. Similar effect but less oily so you can wash it off with soap.

I've got some bulk ebay bases coming in on Monday, I'll give moisturizer a try then. It'd definitely be convenient to not have to bust out isopropyl to clean these off.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Duct Tape posted:

I've got some bulk ebay bases coming in on Monday, I'll give moisturizer a try then. It'd definitely be convenient to not have to bust out isopropyl to clean these off.

Go with a nice lotion. You can use it for sculpting as well and it'll keep your hands soft and baby smooth.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Painted this Daedalosus today, don't have to use my kitbashed proxy no more.

Also painted some vanguard cancer lads, I got some cheap LEDs of Amazon so I'll test out the new set up on them later.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gaussian posted:

Eagerly waiting to purchase The Triumph of St. Katherine tomorrow and then take a year to paint all of it.

Same but half of it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Corrode posted:

May I get an invite, please?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

Painted this Daedalosus today, don't have to use my kitbashed proxy no more.

Also painted some vanguard cancer lads, I got some cheap LEDs of Amazon so I'll test out the new set up on them later.

This dude is freaking incredible looking!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I said come in! posted:

This dude is freaking incredible looking!

Yeah it's a really cool model. Strictly monopose since it's from Blackstone Fortress, but drat there's some excellent plastic in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gaussian posted:

In my case I'd be content to just grab a regular squad to paint and get some extra heads for the Canonness I nabbed earlier and the Jackal Alphus I got for christmas.

I do feel sorry for whoever gets the Triumph and then fully assembles it before painting it.