Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Calaveron posted:

I too am disappointed that GAMEFREAK robbed me of the privilege of running through dark corridors either burdened with a useless beastie that's just there to solve dumb environmental puzzles or having my team potential diminished by having those moves taking up moveset space while fighting endless geodudes, zubats, tentacools and wingulls or their generational equivalent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

^^^ That dunk doesn't really work at all considering Sun/Moon solved it with Ride Pokemon and HM's just becoming normal rear end TMs that could be overwritten in worst case scenarios

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

The ‘dungeons’ in Pokémon were a painfully boring slog and removing them so you can focus on the actual fun parts like catching and battling is a feature, not a bug

I mean to each their own, but I know a lot of people enjoyed caves, going into enemy bases and fighting through them, exploring old power plants etc.

Remember when everyone wanted that one power plant in X/Y to open up so they'd have a new zone to explore? Good times.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lmao removing dungeons from a RPG seen as a positive? No wonder GameFreak gets away selling poo poo games, you idiots will say it’s good regardless.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

duck trucker posted:

I guess I can kinda see that. But I always found surfing more teadious than anything so I didn't mind.

Mechanically sure, but what we're talking about is more the exploration side of it. How in previous games when you get Surf it opens up a whole slew of places to back track to and things-to-find.

quote:

The ‘dungeons’ in Pokémon were a painfully boring slog and removing them so you can focus on the actual fun parts like catching and battling is a feature, not a bug

Also agreed, but there's nothing in this game to catch or battle for. Victory Road was a hell of a slog in the original games, but god drat did it feel like an accomplishment when you finally made it to the end. Here it's just three trainers you plow through in a minute and hey you're there. It's the difference between a roller coaster and a lazy river.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

duck trucker posted:

I guess I can kinda see that. But I always found surfing more teadious than anything so I didn't mind.

But this tells me absolutely nothing. What seemed rushed out and what seams are you talking about?

Everything past the 7th gym.

"Oh no there's a dynamax pokemon going crazy just slightly off screen!"

Then Leon rushes in, tells you he'll take care of it, and then Hop comes in to show you the article of Leon taking down the pokemon on his phone.

At that point you go to the final gym and the trial is beating some nerds in double battles in a reused room.

The Eternanus plot feels super shoehorned into the Champion Cup, even though storming Rose Tower was real funny.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they included less of the core gameplay, which is actually bad, therefore its an improvement, is actually not a great defense of the game

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Like overworld pokemon exist now, the random zubats can't hurt you anymore. Dungeons are okay to have without running into a million of them :shobon:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Dungeons suck and this "plot" is exactly as stupid as I remember every other plot being. It is nice being subjected to less of it.

I did really like the Gen 3 contests. I like an excuse to breed pokemon for some reason other than competitive battling or filling out the pokedex. Filling out the curry dex is fun.

I don't feel like "secrets" are really secret anymore since everything is online. I feel like it's just someone else noticing something about the game first and telling the whole world, like the shaking berry trees.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I want my teenager of nebulous age to climb a possibly active volcano to fight a super villain okay

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I liked the secret bases in Gen 3 also. We're those in ORAS? Did they work online?

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

You guys missing the dungeon crawling aspect of the older games obviously forgot about all the Zubat infested caves you had to trudge through.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
the removal of Pokepelago (or an analogue) also sucks

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wafflemoose posted:

You guys missing the dungeon crawling aspect of the older games obviously forgot about all the Zubat infested caves you had to trudge through.

as has been repeatedly pointed out, this isn't the case any longer with overworld encounters. run around them

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

I feel like the plot of this game is more about Hop's character arc than the actual league and Rose's plans. I actually liked Hop at the end then at the start of the game when he was annoying as poo poo.

I did find it hilarious when you guys get stood up by Leon for dinner, hear he's in a meeting, decide "oh he must've forgot let's go get him" and Oleana shows up screaming "YOU'LL NEVER GET TO LEON AND RUIN OUR PLANS". Like drat bitch didn't think you guys were doing anything shady until that outburst.

A lot of the complaints (now that someone actually wrote them out) I can find fair and won't argue you're wrong. But for me I personally really enjoyed how much more streamlined this game is compared to previous games.

N-N-N-NINE BREAKER
Jul 12, 2014

FWIW I really enjoyed the building/secret base/boat dungeons but hated the caves in previous games

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

duck trucker posted:

I feel like the plot of this game is more about Hop's character arc than the actual league and Rose's plans. I actually liked Hop at the end then at the start of the game when he was annoying as poo poo.

I did find it hilarious when you guys get stood up by Leon for dinner, hear he's in a meeting, decide "oh he must've forgot let's go get him" and Oleana shows up screaming "YOU'LL NEVER GET TO LEON AND RUIN OUR PLANS". Like drat bitch didn't think you guys were doing anything shady until that outburst.

A lot of the complaints (now that someone actually wrote them out) I can find fair and won't argue you're wrong. But for me I personally really enjoyed how much more streamlined this game is compared to previous games.

Yeah don't worry about people making GBS threads on you for liking the game or anything. I had fun with it too, it's just that it's flawed and kind of frustrating to a lot of folks seeing it get streamlined and cut down by this crazy of an amount. v:shobon:v

Hop is a good character too. I wish Marnie and Bede had the same amount of time to be actual characters like him.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

What did Game Freak do to my boy Zapdos

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Parrotine posted:

improved it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Parrotine posted:

Made him into an edgy Chocobo

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Dungeons without wild pokemon were good. Others bad.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Parrotine posted:

Turned his lame rear end into the Road Runner

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

is Galar Mine not considered a dungeon? it's just one but it's there

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CYBEReris posted:

It is literally just a straight line though.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

duck trucker posted:

Oleana is the most baffling character in the franchise and that's saying something. We never find out what the gently caress her deal is. She's just plain nuts. And apparently obsessed with Rose.

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008

wafflemoose posted:

I think everyone's on the same page that the new system for encounters is better. But old dungeons were longer than a single hallway, and that's what's missed.

The forest in this game was pretty beautiful! Same with that mine. Wish I could have spent more to do in both so I could actually enjoy the area.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

CYBEReris posted:

Most people don't really consider it to be one as the two mines are just straight lines really. There's no ladders or places to really go off the beaten path so it just kind of feels like a route with a fancier name.

EatinCake posted:

I think everyone's on the same page that the new system for encounters is better. But old dungeons were longer than a single hallway, and that's what's missed.

The forest in this game was pretty beautiful! Same with that mine. Wish I could have spent more to do in both so I could actually enjoy the area.

I will never not be bummed out by the forest and balloonlea being so short. They're my absolute favorite types of places in games :negative:

Also the entire time in the Glimwood Tangle the music made me think of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNSfLh3E4lM

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Quote is not edit

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

-Towns being like 2 houses and a pokecenter at best most of the time

isn’t that how most towns are in most Pokémon games

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Lotta terrible zappy bird opinions in here

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Augus posted:

Usually you had some bigger cities to break things up like Celedon/Saffron, Lumoise City, Nimbasa, Mauville, Goldenrod etc.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Augus posted:

Some of the early gameboy games (but even then they had Goldenrod and whatnot) but later games had pretty populated locations in most cases. When I go into Balloonlea stadium and the place is PACKED with people it's just like

Where do all these people live where did they come from.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Zore posted:

Usually you had some bigger cities to break things up like Celedon/Saffron, Lumoise City, Nimbasa, Mauville, Goldenrod etc.

uh...so does this game? :confused:

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude
I think, after everything that's been said, GameFreak is just capitalizing a changing zeitgeist, where there's probably more fans who just like Pokémon than "The world of Pokémon" now.

It also feels like the mainline games are becoming merely a tentacle in TPCs gigantic monster of a business rather than the heart. And doesn't sit well who got invested into the "World" and the adventure/exploration of it aside from just catching/battling.

The game seems to reflect those points—mainline is not our top priority but also, we want you fans who don't really play the games to put some investment into it, so we streamlined all the stuff you didn't like about the old games... which when i think about it, is a double-slap to veteran fans of the mainline games.

In the end :capitalism: and I'd like the onion rings for my combo thanks.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

SirBukkake posted:

I think, after everything that's been said, GameFreak is just capitalizing a changing zeitgeist, where there's probably more fans who just like Pokémon than "The world of Pokémon" now.

It also feels like the mainline games are becoming merely a tentacle in TPCs gigantic monster of a business rather than the heart. And doesn't sit well who got invested into the "World" and the adventure/exploration of it aside from just catching/battling.

The game seems to reflect those points—mainline is not our top priority but also, we want you fans who don't really play the games to put some investment into it, so we streamlined all the stuff you didn't like about the old games... which when i think about it, is a double-slap to veteran fans of the mainline games.

In the end :capitalism: and I'd like the onion rings for my combo thanks.

I think it's simpler than that and just the inevitable consequence of TPC demanding yearlies especially while entering more difficult production for consoles, esp. the switch which can be hard to learn how to optimize for as its gimmick led to it being pretty weak for the generation

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Never go into caves alone. Always go in teams of at least 3, and everyone should be properly geared and ideally get a permit so you don't accidentally get stuck in there after a rainstorm/snow melt and drown.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Parrotine posted:

Made him relevant for the first time in 15+ years. The Legendary Birds have been the primary examples of the victims of power creep in this series for so long that just about anything would be a improvement.

Flopsy posted:

Oleana is the most baffling character in the franchise and that's saying something. We never find out what the gently caress her deal is. She's just plain nuts. And apparently obsessed with Rose.

One could assume that she’s like Bede in that Rose found her as a child with nobody else and acted as a foster father figure to get her to serve him. Her primary Pokémon is a walking pile of trash and she calls herself useless when she loses, so that points to very low self-esteem and possibly a sad backstory. Too bad none of it is capitalized on.

Still, I rank this game’s plot and characters above Gen III and VI, for the whatever that’s worth.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I just can't believe what a good job they did with Alola as a cohesive, fully realized region (including the legendaries that fit in perfectly) to follow it up with this

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Parrotine posted:

He's finally a Cassowary as God intended.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Why the gently caress do I not get a cape and a bunch of sponsors as champion? Not even a special uniform?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Frankly if they don't let me ride Galarian Zapdos after I catch it, then this DLC can go to hell.