Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

I'm a little unclear on what Paz is getting at, here. What is she expecting to accomplish? Does she think Annies are going to say "oh, didn't realize, guess we'll go back to being one person then" and then do a fusion dance?

She's a scared and angry 15(?) year old and has no one else to take it out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Regy Rusty posted:

She's a scared and angry 15(?) year old and has no one else to take it out on.

Boxbot isn't around?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Uthor posted:

Boxbot isn't around?

It's genuinely possible that he isn't. :(

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

yeah, kind of seems like paz is just upset about the situation and wants annie to make it better...somehow

Yeah shes upset and looking to vent and do something to fix but unfortunately the only thing is to yell at the problem who canr fix itself
Seems pretty understandable , its a pretty lovely situation and everyone is teens.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Annies are actually the ones in this mess NOT doing anything wrong. Kat is bottling up her feelings and not dealing with anything in a healthy way. Paz is lashing out at Annies after not being able to get through to Kat. Meanwhile the Annies are just trying to make the best out of a bizarre situation.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Kat has a deep connection to the robots and if their consciousness is all hosed up and locked down that could affect her in ways that aren’t obvious or even human.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
To be fair to Paz, we don't actually know WHAT she's upset about beyond Kat overworking herself and not being open. We don't know if Paz thinks this is cus of the dual Annies or something else that the Annies legitimately do have more control over.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Demiurge4 posted:

Kat has a deep connection to the robots and if their consciousness is all hosed up and locked down that could affect her in ways that aren’t obvious or even human.
That's a good point

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Paz, a child, blowing up like this is good writing.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I was thinking about the lake water memory.

I would love it if coyote came back and said "by the way, the forest elves are a load bearing construct in the aether. Make sure not to let them leave the forest or else everything will get hosed up in the aether."

Seems like a him thing to do.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Uthor posted:

Boxbot isn't around?

He is the lynchpin in the defense against Loup

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

rannum posted:

Yeah shes upset and looking to vent and do something to fix but unfortunately the only thing is to yell at the problem who canr fix itself
Seems pretty understandable , its a pretty lovely situation and everyone is teens.

The Court, the Elves, and Paz are all in a pretty poo poo situation, but since they can't do anything about the actual source of the problem (a tantrum throwing capricious god dog), they have to settle for the next best thing: taking it out on the local doormats.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The Court, the Elves, and Paz are all in a pretty poo poo situation, but since they can't do anything about the actual source of the problem (a tantrum throwing capricious god dog), they have to settle for the next best thing: taking it out on the local doormats.

Annie is still the official representative of that god-dog, to be fair.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Think about it, though - Kat kind of feels like EVERY single part of the issues going on are her responsibility, due to her being key in coming up with solutions before. The robots being frozen, Annie's duplication, working on the new human/robot bodies, helping with the Loup situation - Kat probably feels like all of those things depend completely on her and no one else, so she doesn't have the option to stop working.

The sad part is, due to her unique skills, she's not wrong. But she really needs to accept that she can't do everything. Paz' anger should be directed less at Annie and more at the court for letting Kat, a high school student, be responsible for this instead of cleaning up their own drat mess.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Opening a hole in the barrier involves loving with the robots in a way that Kat said she doesn't like and the Annies just kinda ignored it. So the Annies aren't totally faultless here.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I don't think it's kat putting every burden on her shoulders, like the robots situation and so on, but specifically the reveal that neither Annie is supposed to be here.
Paz says outright that Kat was getting better about the 2 annie situation but then, specifically within the past few weeks, she's gotten much worse

Which would probably line up exactly with the big reveal that Kat was visibly not happy with at all

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Opening a hole in the barrier involves loving with the robots in a way that Kat said she doesn't like and the Annies just kinda ignored it. So the Annies aren't totally faultless here.

I don't really see how she "ignored it". What alternative does the court have for the Forest people, and how is that Annies' decision at all?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I don't really see how she "ignored it". What alternative does the court have for the Forest people, and how is that Annies' decision at all?

To me the immediate scene change after the exchange I linked says that they never talked about the issue more. And now the Annies don't know what Paz is talking about, which suggests that Kat hid her ongoing concern about the robots from Annie and Annie in turn hasn't really given it much more thought. Sure, Annie probably couldn't have changed the outcome, but still maybe Annie could have supported Kat more.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

What's Annie supposed to do about that

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I dunno, feels like Paz (and some of the posters here!) seem to be giving Annie more agency in all this than is really the case. Outside of being a better Loup-wrangler (which may well be outside her capabilities) I'm not sure what exactly anyone's expecting Annie by herselves to do about all this. :shrug:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

jng2058 posted:

I dunno, feels like Paz (and some of the posters here!) seem to be giving Annie more agency in all this than is really the case. Outside of being a better Loup-wrangler (which may well be outside her capabilities) I'm not sure what exactly anyone's expecting Annie by herselves to do about all this. :shrug:

To be fair we also don't know what Paz is upset about, beyond "Kat's overworked, and Paz thinks Annie's to blame"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Kat is an Intern deity that is having to deal with the fallout from the management shift handing the reins to the trust fund deity

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I'm not sure what she doesn't like here. The bad part has already been done, the robot's CPU that carries their personality has been removed already, and replaced with the Court's AI that just projects a shield. Removing the hijacked CPU shouldn't change anything, either way it seems that the original robot personality is no longer in those bodies. The originals may be in a crate like the one you see in your second linked page, or in a vault like the prison Robot got sent to.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Meh. Forget it. I don't think I can express it better than I already have, and we don't even have a full picture of what Paz is upset Kat is upset about. If all this is because Kat's obsessing over Annie being from the "wrong" timeline, then that isn't Annie's fault at all.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

IUG posted:

I'm not sure what she doesn't like here. The bad part has already been done, the robot's CPU that carries their personality has been removed already, and replaced with the Court's AI that just projects a shield. Removing the hijacked CPU shouldn't change anything, either way it seems that the original robot personality is no longer in those bodies. The originals may be in a crate like the one you see in your second linked page, or in a vault like the prison Robot got sent to.

You've got it backwards. The robots original AI is what protects the court. The Court removes that chip to create gaps in the shield and also to make those funky bots with the green head chip we've seen previously.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Raposa posted:

You've got it backwards. The robots original AI is what protects the court. The Court removes that chip to create gaps in the shield and also to make those funky bots with the green head chip we've seen previously.

The text says "When they override the robots they take out their CPUs and replace them with rudimentary AI! It basically turns them into Zombies!"

It seems that they take out the CPU with the personality, put in a the rudimentary AI CPU, and they're creating the shield. Their personality is removed as step one, it seems. Removing the rudimentary CPU would leave them with zero CPUs, drop the shield, and leave the robots' bodies as just shells for whichever chip gets put back in.

Yuwe
Apr 6, 2009

IUG posted:

The text says "When they override the robots they take out their CPUs and replace them with rudimentary AI! It basically turns them into Zombies!"

It seems that they take out the CPU with the personality, put in a the rudimentary AI CPU, and they're creating the shield. Their personality is removed as step one, it seems. Removing the rudimentary CPU would leave them with zero CPUs, drop the shield, and leave the robots' bodies as just shells for whichever chip gets put back in.

The shield happened before the court started replacing any chips. It just occurred automatically when Loup first attacked. It's also possible that they ended up not overriding the robots they took the chips out of just now, and ended up putting the original chips back after all the elves made it through (otherwise there would still be a hole in the shield and I don't think the court would be happy with that).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm all "how do you not know this", but them I realized that I only know it because I read that chapter this morning.

Was it ever revealed who programed the robots to project the shield?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Uthor posted:

I'm all "how do you not know this", but them I realized that I only know it because I read that chapter this morning.

Was it ever revealed who programed the robots to project the shield?

Not yet but it being another Deigo thing that's carried through to the modern era would be my bet

e: Ah, rereading the chapter I forgot that the shielding was specifically something from Anja's research so this programming is very recent. Can't be Diego then https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1991

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Toraen posted:

The shield happened before the court started replacing any chips. It just occurred automatically when Loup first attacked. It's also possible that they ended up not overriding the robots they took the chips out of just now, and ended up putting the original chips back after all the elves made it through (otherwise there would still be a hole in the shield and I don't think the court would be happy with that).

Ah, I missed that the robots did it without installation of the chip. I assumed it happened as a result of Loup's attack, I forgot it happened right away. Then I have no idea where or when the rudimentary CPU chips were installed.

EDIT: And now I'm reading the comic again from that point, haha.

IUG fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 11, 2020

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Ah, this page clears it up. The court override CPUs aren't just placed in the same slot, it overtakes the whole top of their head:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2074

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I feel for Paz, but man this has the potential to blow back on her so badly.
At least from watching something sorta like this in real life, if this "talk" somehow gets back to the other partner the relationship could easily instantly be over. In my experience the obsessed partner reacts with utter fury.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 11, 2020

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
This is very good writing, but man Paz is making a disastrous mistake. Saying Annie is in the wrong for not noticing how worried Kat is? Such a bad move. I mean, Kat is actively concealing that from the Annies.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Wittgen posted:

This is very good writing, but man Paz is making a disastrous mistake. Saying Annie is in the wrong for not noticing how worried Kat is? Such a bad move. I mean, Kat is actively concealing that from the Annies.

There's also the fact that the Annies can't read minds.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Annie(s) clearly knew something was wrong with Kat in the first part of the chapter, but they don't have the same first hand insight into her overall habits and mood that Paz has.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Time for an unproductive intervention!

And then hopefully another equally unproductive tear in the fabric of reality!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

We need more annies

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

K, I finished reading the latest book, decided to keep rereading the story online, and came upon this relevant age.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2098

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2115

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2116

Uthor fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Jan 11, 2020

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Yeah, this has definitely been foreshadowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Since I reread from basically Annie coming back from the forest last night, I also found this page that shows that Kat really is breaking under the surface, and doesn't really trust the Annies. She even has some Zimmy eyes going. It's right after she was told that both Annies don't belong there.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2167