Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If anyone wants to do a Peasant run; HLDPITXGEW is an excellent seed. The map is decent and the overall quality of the starting bros is the highest I’ve seen for a peasant seed. I think I kept 6 of them as being endgame worthy; and one of them is endgame archer material. Now at day 20 I’ve got 11 bros; including 3 archers, and I’ve found my Sergeant already; although I’m tempted to have 2 sergeants given the much lower resolve of lowborn backgrounds overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

I've not played for a long time, since before the beasts expansion. Is there a way to upgrade the battle standard these days?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
This game is weird. Like... the combat is well designed but the pacing of the game is really garbage. It seems like you get a mercenary band going until you run up against an enemy you are not prepared for because you didn't know they existed, so then you start again and play a bit further and then come up against a new enemy that you're not prepared for because you didn't know they existed.

The latest one was Geists. 5% chance to hit and makes your brothers flee unless they are past some level of Resolve? Just seems like a real weird design choice

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Are you playing ironman? I really wouldn't recommend it until you're at least familiar with all the enemy types for that reason.

Geists aren't much of a threat provided you have a sergeant and the 5% chance to hit against them is only for ranged attacks.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Schneider Inside Her posted:

This game is weird. Like... the combat is well designed but the pacing of the game is really garbage. It seems like you get a mercenary band going until you run up against an enemy you are not prepared for because you didn't know they existed, so then you start again and play a bit further and then come up against a new enemy that you're not prepared for because you didn't know they existed.

The latest one was Geists. 5% chance to hit and makes your brothers flee unless they are past some level of Resolve? Just seems like a real weird design choice

This is the sort of game that really benefits from reading guides to learn how to design your company. Unlike most modern games this one doesn't hold your hand, but once you know what you are doing the difficulty scaling works pretty well.

Geists are pretty easy to deal with if you understand how they work.

1. You are supposed to have a sergeant in your company. This is a bro with the 'rally the troops perk' who carries the company banner. The banner gives a resolve buff to nearby bros equal to 10% of the bearer's resolve. Your sergeant should be built like a polearmsman; but he needs the highest possible resolve - you're looking for someone who can hit at least 80 resolve (before accounting for buffs from the fortified mind perk and the sergeant's sash) by level 11; but more is better and if you can get someone that can hit closer to 100 that is even better. If you don't have a sergeant yet; then you aren't ready to fight Geists.

2. Each geist will do a scream once per turn, which forces nearby bros to make a resolve check; on failure their morale goes down by 1 level, until they eventually flee. In case you don't already know, morale states (positive and negative) influence combat stats of your bros/your opponents as well. At the start of each turn, you get the sergeant to use 'rally the troops' which should, if his resolve stats are high enough, reverse the morale loss from the screams. Remember to try and keep all bros within 4 hexes of the sergeant though.

3. Geists have infinite ranged defence, which means your archers will always only have a 5% chance of hitting them, no matter how good they are. Archers are pretty good vs zombies though, so you generally still take them to the fight since most Geist fights will have zombies and fallen heroes as well.

4. Geists do have higher than usual melee defence, but they always die in one hit. They like to hover 2-3 hexes away from your front line; and they keep behind other undead like zombies. With the release of warriors of the north, the best anti Geist tech is the battle whip, since it has 3 tiles of range. having 1-2 guys with whips makes killing them easy. As with polearms, whip users should take backstab because they are better suited to taking advantage of the buff it provides, and they have more perk slots free due to not needing as many defensive perks.

5. In addition to whips, spears are helpful because of the buff to hit chance. While I'm sure you've realised that spears don't do as much damage as other 1handed weapons, you generally should have one on each end of your front line to funnel enemies into the centre.

Also in general, don't treat resolve as a dump stat. This is a key mistake new players make. I aim for 50 resolve for all front liners, and at least 40 for the back line.

If you are having trouble more generally post some screenshots of your company, their stats and how you've levelled them up and we can give advice. Or if you want advice for specific types of enemies.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Schneider Inside Her posted:

The various one-shot scenarios are really hard, but they are also a good way to familiarize themselves with all the gimmicks from the harder enemies, especially since there are worse gimmicks than Geists. But I agree, this game is not meant for ironman. Otherwise, every new enemy gimmick has a good chance of ending a 30-hour run by themselves. It's an old school design in the way that new players should have a wiki or a more experienced player helping them for their first playthrough. Whereas more modern designs are meant to be fair and winnable on a fresh and blind playthrough.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

2. Each geist will do a scream once per turn, which forces nearby bros to make a resolve check; on failure their morale goes down by 1 level, until they eventually flee. In case you don't already know, morale states (positive and negative) influence combat stats of your bros/your opponents as well. At the start of each turn, you get the sergeant to use 'rally the troops' which should, if his resolve stats are high enough, reverse the morale loss from the screams. Remember to try and keep all bros within 4 hexes of the sergeant though.

One thing to add here, geists actually have a slightly different mechanic for the scream. It isn't just a morale check, it's four (I think four, might be slightly different) morale checks in a row all in one action, with each one having 25% the strength of a single morale check attack. I don't know the exact numbers but they're along those lines. The result is that someone with low resolve can go all the way from from steady to fleeing in a single turn by failing all the checks, but someone with high resolve has a better chance of getting through unaffected than they would from a single full-strength check.

Geists are a real snowball enemy, if you have low resolve and your guys start fleeing you're very likely to get caught in a vicious cycle of resolve bottoming out and the whole company dying, but if you have high resolve and only one or two bros are affected by it each turn (and then mostly get remedied by your sergeant on the same turn) then they're not much of a threat unless you get caught in a really prolonged fight against a bunch of fallen heroes at the same time.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I get decision paralysis at every level up, I might start following a structured character build guide

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Battle Brothers is really supposed to be played more as a roguelike than a traditional strategy game .

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I never got super far into BB but I always play on Ironman cause it just feels appropriate. I would say if it's your very first time you may not want to but you once you get the very basics figured out go ahead and switch to Ironman cause this game is all about risk/reward and making tough choices. You will fail a lot in this game, but that's kinda the point. You don't really win.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Hey, has anybody figured out the formula to trigger endgame crises? I did a solo 2h axe hedge knight build (able to solo like 15+ brigand groups on day 100) but the endgame crises wont trigger. It's this wierd place where he can handle whatever the game throws at him but bc of the arbitrary endgame formula cant get to the really fun content. Any idea? At this point I'd be fine just hiring/bbediting whoever I need to to trigger it then just fire them. I havent touched the save in a while but I think he's around level 30.

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 7, 2020

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I believe its partially based on time and total party level.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

On average the first crisis is supposed to hit around day 80, but the actual date depends on the difficulty scaling algorithm; My understanding is that overall party size has a much bigger impact on that algorithm than average level; but I don't think anyone has figured it out exactly. It should eventually trigger no matter what though.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
The strength of the player's company - I don't know how exactly that strength is used in all instances - is determined as follows:

code:
		foreach( i, bro in roster )
		{
			if (i >= this.World.Assets.getBrothersScaleMax())
			{
				break;
			}

this.m.Strength += 10.0 + (bro.getLevel() - 1) * 2.0;
		}
So until the value of BrothersScaleMax is reached (12 by default), each bro adds 10 + (level - 1) * 2 to the strength stat. Bros are sorted by level for this, of course.
Which means that just by existing extra bros add 10 points.

The score is adjusted if the player has extremely few - less than BrothersScaleMin, which is 3 by default - men:
code:
		if (roster.len() < this.World.Assets.getBrothersScaleMin())
		{
			this.m.Strength += 10.0 * (this.World.Assets.getBrothersScaleMin() - roster.len());
		}
So playing solo actually adds 20 points to the calculated strength. But that of course doesn't make up for having a full company.

The crisis requires a company strength of 210.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Perfect. Thanks a lot! I couldn't find this information anywhere. So if my bro is level 30, could I bbedit 3x lv42 bros in long enough to trigger the crisis, then fire them? Or do crises cease firing when you drop under 210?

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 10, 2020

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

dylguy90 posted:

Perfect. Thanks a lot! I couldn't find this information anywhere. So if my bro is level 30, could I bbedit 3x lv42 bros in long enough to trigger the crisis, then fire them? Or do crises cease firing when you drop under 210?
Once the crisis has started it will run its course, so that should work. But you would need to repeat the process every time.

You could use BBEdit to make your bro level 90. Worst case, the save gets corrupted (as level 90 is way above the cap), of course, but I think it would probably work.

I could also upload a modified script somewhere that removes the party strength query but there's no guarantee that it'd work.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Alchenar posted:

Battle Brothers is really supposed to be played more as a roguelike than a traditional strategy game .

While the designer thinks it should be played like a roguelike, they forgot one critical issue with that. A normal roguelike can achieve a basic victory in a few hours, and most roguelites try to keep run-time under an hour. But I doubt a speedrunner can beat a endgame crisis* in Battle Brothers in under 5 hours. Permadeath is way, way too punishing if a normal winning run is like 20 hours. Especially since unfamiliar enemies are way more punishing than compared to new XCom and your ability to recover from loss is less than XCom.

*Without just running away and ignoring every crisis mission

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 10, 2020

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

golden bubble posted:

While the designer thinks it should be played like a roguelike, they forgot one critical issue with that. A normal roguelike can achieve a basic victory in a few hours, and most roguelites try to keep run-time under an hour. But I doubt a speedrunner can beat a endgame crisis* in Battle Brothers in under 5 hours. Permadeath is way, way too punishing if a normal winning run is like 20 hours. Especially since unfamiliar enemies are way more punishing than compared to new XCom and your ability to recover from loss is less than XCom.

*Without just running away and ignoring every crisis mission

This is one area where a hypothetical Battle Brothers 2 could try and copy XCOM by letting you do stuff like set up a base or go all Mount and Blade and buy property in various towns to get other sources of income, or better recruits, or cheaper goods, or let you store inventory somewhere other than your cart, and stuff like that. Things that would make losses less punishing and encourage you to keep playing and rebuild instead of savescumming, because you'd be able to save more things to use for a recovery, or be able to invest resources in something more permanent than high-level bros and equipment that can be lost in battle, which would make a really bad battle or complete party wipe more less of an inevitable death spiral, while still keeping it a big setback.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Yeah, the game would need catch-up/recovery mechanics to make actual no-reload runs fun to play.

As it is, you have to actively try to actually lose a game, but one or two fights going badly can easily lead into a downward spiral ending with a run that just needs to be mercy killed.

This also means that ironman runs are boring as poo poo because you only fight safe battles.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
huh, i was sure someone would have beaten me to it

quote:

A PROPHECY FULFILLED

Where the sun reigns eternal, burned to cinders and reborn from ash, fire shall lead the way once again.

Read all about it in next week’s announcement!

i am so happy they decided to continue printing money / adding content

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I will refrain from Dark Souls references but this is p cool.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
"Where the sun reigns eternal" kinda sounds like it might be hinting at a "Warriors of the South" type thing.

Warriors of the North 2: Southern Boogaloo

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Hell yeah take my money. I'm in.

I'm playing what has got to be my most successful Ironman game and I've made it to day 112. When Noble houses fight each other I noticed that even with permanent destruction off the towns they conquer get sacked and all the amenities are gone. Now I don't have someone to make potions for me anymore, dammit. Do they ever come back?

frogge fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 10, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

frogge posted:

Hell yeah take my money. I'm in.

:yeah:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, the game would need catch-up/recovery mechanics to make actual no-reload runs fun to play.

As it is, you have to actively try to actually lose a game, but one or two fights going badly can easily lead into a downward spiral ending with a run that just needs to be mercy killed.

This also means that ironman runs are boring as poo poo because you only fight safe battles.

Ugh, that's actually my least favorite thing about the game.

Either the contracts need to scale, or there needs to be more contracts with more range.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010

BrotherJayne posted:

Ugh, that's actually my least favorite thing about the game.

Either the contracts need to scale, or there needs to be more contracts with more range.

Real talk, contracts to exterminate monsters, hunt alps/hexen/unholds, and fight off greenskin hordes need to have their rewards seriously increased. It's insanely easy to sign up for a contract that takes you halfway across the world then sticks in you in a balls-out fight to the death only to be out-of-pocket by a couple thousand when you factor in the food, tools and medical supplies needed to recover. Why take that risk when you could murder 15 bandits for 75-85 percent of the reward?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm firmly of the opinion that it's a mistake to choose Noble war as the first crisis. You just don't have the means to take out large armies of relatively heavily armoured dudes at that point in the game; so you can't leverage the crisis to maximise your profit. Meanwhile in my current run the Noble war came third and I just wiped out a 30 dude army with only minor injuries.

The pro choice is to choose undead first - most of your battles will be large groups of zombies which even early mid companies can take out in large numbers; and it maximises your chances of getting some warscythes - I was lucky in my first crisis to fight a small group comprised entirely of honor guards - about 12 of them I think - and I was able to pick up 4 warscythes in that one fight, which made my company basically unstoppable.

One thing I've noticed is that ever since beasts and exploration came out the game has dramatically scaled back the number of ancient dead that appear outside of the undead crisis - I haven't had a single fight with them this run other than during the crisis. When I first started playing the game it was very common early game to be sent to track down a missing artifact and wind up fighting ancient legionaries.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

That's good to know. I run with random because most of the time I don't last long enough to get one.

Do you know if shops/amenities respawn ever?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

frogge posted:

That's good to know. I run with random because most of the time I don't last long enough to get one.

Not sure if you mean either:

If a town is destroyed via crisis? No, gone forever. Turn that setting off, it does not add anything to the game, especially since you may only have 1-2 decent shop towns on the whole map.

Does shop's stock replenish? Yes, like every 3-5 days

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 11, 2020

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah I have it off- towns don't disappear after being invaded but I noticed that the not-marketplace stuff goes away. Does it ever come back? Like before the invasion, konigswasser had a kennel and now it doesn't, etc.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

frogge posted:

As long as the town itself still exists, destroyed buildings in the town (like workshops, hunters cabins, etc) will be rebuilt, although it's really slow going. When there is something to be rebuilt, it triggers the 'rebuilding' status effect which significantly increases the prices that construction materials can be sold for in the town.

germlin
May 31, 2011
Fun Shoe

frogge posted:

Yeah I have it off- towns don't disappear after being invaded but I noticed that the not-marketplace stuff goes away. Does it ever come back? Like before the invasion, konigswasser had a kennel and now it doesn't, etc.

This sounds like a bug, buildings on town screen shoudn´t ever disappear from modifiers at most they affect shop selection.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
That new DLC is a nice surprise.

I sorted through the Lone Wolf seed farm on Nexus and here's a really nice one: FehqSAVlQQ

Huge&Brute with good rolls, 2 gem mines and all the essentials, just no mushrooms.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

germlin posted:

This sounds like a bug, buildings on town screen shoudn´t ever disappear from modifiers at most they affect shop selection.

Dang. I'd hate to restart since this is otherwise the most successful run I've had.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Is the kennel actually gone from the town screen?
Just asking because that's a bug I've never heard of before.

The Lord Bude posted:

I'm firmly of the opinion that it's a mistake to choose Noble war as the first crisis. You just don't have the means to take out large armies of relatively heavily armoured dudes at that point in the game; so you can't leverage the crisis to maximise your profit. Meanwhile in my current run the Noble war came third and I just wiped out a 30 dude army with only minor injuries.

The pro choice is to choose undead first - most of your battles will be large groups of zombies which even early mid companies can take out in large numbers; and it maximises your chances of getting some warscythes - I was lucky in my first crisis to fight a small group comprised entirely of honor guards - about 12 of them I think - and I was able to pick up 4 warscythes in that one fight, which made my company basically unstoppable.

One thing I've noticed is that ever since beasts and exploration came out the game has dramatically scaled back the number of ancient dead that appear outside of the undead crisis - I haven't had a single fight with them this run other than during the crisis. When I first started playing the game it was very common early game to be sent to track down a missing artifact and wind up fighting ancient legionaries.
The noble war is the easiest because you can enter it whenever you want and essentially pick your difficulty when you choose which house to support. Or you can just ignore it.
You can also tackle the noble war with almost any company build which isn't really the case with the greenskin invasion and definitely not the case with the undead crisis.
The noble war is also gives you the best loot so if you enter the crisis undergeared it's the one that lets you catch up. Especially since you don't need to take on large armies. Possibly the most profitable thing to do in the war is to figure out which allied village is targeted by the enemy houses at the moment (which isn't hard, you'll kinda notice where troops move and things go up in smoke more often). Then you move there and just wait, intercepting any companies that come your way. Usually those will be less than 20 strong. Every now and then you sell a cartload of helmets with a few greatswords and crossbows thrown in.

The undead crisis is the hardest when you get it first to me because attrition is such a big part of it.
It spawns undead all over the place.
Ancient Dead shred armor and when the first crisis hits you might not even have everyone in good armor yet. There might still be a few chainshirts on non-Nimble bros. You probably don't have reserve heavy armor.
And the crisis contracts often want you to fight multiple battles in short succession. Staving off 4 waves of undead during a town defense mission is not easy when your reserve probably largely consists of low level bros and maybe a permanently injured veteran.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Yeah it and other former amenities are gone now. There's still the marketplace and shambling homeless/recruits.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Undead crisis gives you sweet sweet warscythes though

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

GreyjoyBastard posted:

huh, i was sure someone would have beaten me to it

i am so happy they decided to continue printing money / adding content

I got the feeling the launch uh, wasn't very great.

Like them choosing to go down the DLC path could have very easily bankrupt the studio because not enough people bought the base game.

Instead it just helped bring more light to the game, kept it in the indie news sphere, and the fanbase was rabid enough to buy DLC so here we are. :whee:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Undead crisis gives you sweet sweet warscythes though

Yeah but you can just get those by raiding some undead location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah but you can just get those by raiding some undead location.

Sure if your luck is a lot better than mine. I was unable to find any at all until the third crisis in my latest run