Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
gently caress yeah thanks! I was worried that it would get weird or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SalTheBard posted:

I watched the first episode of Girls und Panzer and I thought it was pretty ok. I liked the reveal at the end that they are on a gigantic gently caress aircraft carrier. Is the rest of the series good? I thought the opening tank scene was pretty loving cool.

it's a show that gets better as it goes on, especially when you get to the ovas and movies

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

I watched the first episode of Girls und Panzer and I thought it was pretty ok. I liked the reveal at the end that they are on a gigantic gently caress aircraft carrier. Is the rest of the series good? I thought the opening tank scene was pretty loving cool.
if you liked the opening tank scene then tank fighting makes up 90% of the anime past episode 4 or so

SalTheBard posted:

gently caress yeah thanks! I was worried that it would get weird or something.
there's a couple minor fanservice gags but the director specifically didnt want too much of that stuff.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

if you liked the opening tank scene then tank fighting makes up 90% of the anime past episode 4 or so

there's a couple minor fanservice gags but the director specifically didnt want too much of that stuff.

Both are great to hear!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, though dont bother with any of the ovas besides the Anzio Fight one those those are all random fanservice gags. there's a couple decent jokes in them but they mostly arent worth botering with. also be sure to watch the anzio ova if you like the tv series enough to want to watch the movie, since the characters from it show up in the movie.

also the movie's fantastic so be sure to watch it if you enjoy the tv series.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I was mostly worried about Nazi glorification or something like that since they seem to all be using German based tanks, but so far it doesn't seem like that will be an issue.

EDIT:

On a personal note, I'm a former Optician so glasses are something that I'm very aware of. The girl with the half glasses is triggering the gently caress out of me because they are highly impractical and would never stay on your loving face.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 1, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nah, there's not really anything like that. They make fun of the poor construction of some late-period German WW2 tanks which is more than, say, world of tanks does, and the german school are the only ones who don't all have fakey names referencing the country they're supposed to be, like how the British school all have names that are teablends. Closest it really gets to anything like that is the italian school calling their captain duce, but she's a comedy jobber so it's not exactly glorification, more just a random WW2 joke.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
So far I didn't think it would be an issue, but it was something that was nagging at the back of my mind.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

SalTheBard posted:

So far I didn't think it would be an issue, but it was something that was nagging at the back of my mind.

I've only watched the show so I can't speak to the OVAs or anything, but everything I've seen of Garupan has always been way too knowingly absurd and deliberately detached from anything resembling reality for me to ever get a sense that anyone was actually endorsing any of the source nations' policy, yeah. It's always just banging toys together in the sandbox, in a good way.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
On a whim I watched Mamoru Hosoda's One Piece movie (Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island) and liked it, even if I'm not a One Piece fan. Or perhaps it's exactly because I'm not a fan that I liked it (not sure what actual fans think of it), because it's a self-contained story that didn't last 10+ episodes.

I'm looking for more standalone anime movies based on big franchises (Conan, Lupin, Doraemon, Jump stuff, etc) that have good storytelling, visuals, or direction. Something anyone could watch as long as they have a cursory knowledge of the series. I know the Doraemon films are good, but which ones in particular stand out, etc?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

On a whim I watched Mamoru Hosoda's One Piece movie (Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island) and liked it, even if I'm not a One Piece fan. Or perhaps it's exactly because I'm not a fan that I liked it (not sure what actual fans think of it), because it's a self-contained story that didn't last 10+ episodes.

I'm looking for more standalone anime movies based on big franchises (Conan, Lupin, Doraemon, Jump stuff, etc) that have good storytelling, visuals, or direction. Something anyone could watch as long as they have a cursory knowledge of the series. I know the Doraemon films are good, but which ones in particular stand out, etc?

Check out the Kochikame movie

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The Haruhi movie doesn't require a TON of information about the series, and is a legit masterpiece, especially considering the TV series is just okay.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

the star twinkle precure movie (song of stars, not miracle universe) is great and basically only requires you to know its a magical girl show where some of the cast are aliens

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Schneider Heim posted:

For Lupin you can't go wrong with Castle of Cagliostro. If you're interested in Pokemon there's a ton of movies, though they vary in quality and which ones different people enjoy vary, though I would reccomend Pokémon 3: The Movie - Spell of the Unown, Destiny Deoxys, and Lucario and the Mystery of Mew as the typical best picks, and Jirachi Wish Maker if you want a more slow paced, atypical pokemon film.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Liz and the Blue Bird, no prior Euphonium watching needed (but it helps).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm not a huge fan of Lupin (I basically know who everyone is and have seen a few episodes here and there) and thought Jigen's Gravestone was really good

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Lupin (I basically know who everyone is and have seen a few episodes here and there) and thought Jigen's Gravestone was really good

all three of the koike movies are good, i'd sooner rec them over cagliostro but that's the contrarian streak

other two are goemon ishikawa's bloodspray and fujiko mine's lie. secret of mamo is a good classic lupin movie as well.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Haruhi movie doesn't require a TON of information about the series, and is a legit masterpiece, especially considering the TV series is just okay.

Oh I've seen that one, and most KyoAni movies too (I haven't seen the Tamako one yet). I'm also looking for something a lot more mainstream, hence the examples I gave.

Endorph posted:

the star twinkle precure movie (song of stars, not miracle universe) is great and basically only requires you to know its a magical girl show where some of the cast are aliens
Sold.

Julias posted:

For Lupin you can't go wrong with Castle of Cagliostro. If you're interested in Pokemon there's a ton of movies, though they vary in quality and which ones different people enjoy vary, though I would reccomend Pokémon 3: The Movie - Spell of the Unown, Destiny Deoxys, and Lucario and the Mystery of Mew as the typical best picks, and Jirachi Wish Maker if you want a more slow paced, atypical pokemon film.
I will check these!

Everything Burrito posted:

dogsicle posted:

all three of the koike movies are good, i'd sooner rec them over cagliostro but that's the contrarian streak

other two are goemon ishikawa's bloodspray and fujiko mine's lie. secret of mamo is a good classic lupin movie as well.
Will check these as well!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you should watch the tamako movie at some point because it's infinitely better than the show

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just out of curiosity, what's the general consensus on The Woman Called Fujiko Mine compared to other Lupin works?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, what's the general consensus on The Woman Called Fujiko Mine compared to other Lupin works?

i've seen very little other Lupin but judging the series on its own merits, it's fantastic

it is also relentlessly horny (albeit from a queer, female gaze) so be prepared for that

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Neddy Seagoon posted:

TWCFM>Lupin the III imo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i've seen very little other Lupin but judging the series on its own merits, it's fantastic

it is also relentlessly horny (albeit from a queer, female gaze) so be prepared for that

I've seen it, and loved it, I was just curious as I've heard it's generally considered quite different from most Lupin works. I've actually got the rather lovely Hanabee-released deluxe editions. They look like little hardcover books.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's very much an outlier in the whole Lupin canon but it's a pretty well regarded one, I haven't heard of Lupin diehards having any real issues with it, unlike how some people are annoyed Cagliostro is as sweet and wholesome as it is.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Man, Lupin's tone has always been all over the place hasn't it? I remember hearing the... I wanna say manga that predates the anime being much, much darker and more explicit. The anime is horny but mostly cartoon slapstick stuff, and other media varies wildly between Castle of Cagliostro and the newer movies that are all much more violent and/or horny.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

The second Urusei Yatsura movie and Patlabor 2 are both incredible movies that I've had great success with in showing them to people who have zero exposure to their respective franchises.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Glagha posted:

Man, Lupin's tone has always been all over the place hasn't it? I remember hearing the... I wanna say manga that predates the anime being much, much darker and more explicit. The anime is horny but mostly cartoon slapstick stuff, and other media varies wildly between Castle of Cagliostro and the newer movies that are all much more violent and/or horny.

It's best to think of it very much like how, say, superhero comics have had different tones and interpretations of characters over the decades.

Even the first anime diverged hard from the source material because Lupin was not a violent rapist in it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

No tonal whiplash will compare to the original tmnt comics versus the 80s cartoon

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Patlabor 2 is the rare rec that is 100% better without knowing the franchise

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Srice posted:

The second Urusei Yatsura movie and Patlabor 2 are both incredible movies that I've had great success with in showing them to people who have zero exposure to their respective franchises.

I am quite annoyed that the Patlabor OVA's and TV series got a DVD release, but they didn't do the movies :argh:.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

dogsicle posted:

Patlabor 2 is the rare rec that is 100% better without knowing the franchise

I disagree, because it works really well as a capstone to the OVA/Movie timeline. But it is fantastic on its own and cements the Goto/Shinobu dynamic as one of the best pairs in anime.

I missed the 2nd Urusei Yatsura one, though!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Schneider Heim posted:

I disagree, because it works really well as a capstone to the OVA/Movie timeline. But it is fantastic on its own and cements the Goto/Shinobu dynamic as one of the best pairs in anime.

it's just a worse version of SV2's Longest Day with better production values.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Anyone watch the Boogiepop Doesn't Laugh/Boogiepop & Others show from early last year? I was a huge fan of the original. (It, along with Escaflowne and Lain got me into anime.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AlternateNu posted:

Anyone watch the Boogiepop Doesn't Laugh/Boogiepop & Others show from early last year? I was a huge fan of the original. (It, along with Escaflowne and Lain got me into anime.)

It's not bad, but some of the arcs really overstay their welcome. It's probably better marathoned than watching it week-to-week though, and I really need to go back to it.

Also go watch the new Kino's Journey too because it's really good. A few stories are repeated from the original series, but they're solid episodes in their own right.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I can't speak for boogiepop, but I thought the new kino was really mediocre in comparison to the old show, which I liked a bunch.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

old kino was nakamura and his writing partner specifically picking stories from the novels to make a series with a consistent tone

new kino is literally just taking a fan poll of favorite stories and the production committee going yeah yeah animate that. so you run the gamut from the sort of stuff you'd see in the old series to some frankly stupid poo poo. i suppose this is an accurate presentation of the novels and sigsawa's style (see: ggo alternative) but also it's just worse. and it doesn't even look different from your average modern anime.

new boogiepop seems to have been polarizing but most of the complaints i saw were based on novel comparisons (the anime lacks the novels focus on character interiority) or people new to the site's just disliking the aesthetic and narrative choices it made. i haven't read or seen any of it before and enjoyed the new show quite a bit though the final arc was meh to me. it took a realistic approach to character design that freed them to do some more wild animation in the action bits, and opting to break the arcs into often anachronistic differing povs made watching it feel like putting together a little puzzle. good atmosphere too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
even as far as more accurate representations of sigsawa's style i still liked ggo a lot more and just thought new kino was really stupid without any real hooks to it. at least ggo is just a pretty decent action romp with fun characters

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I quite liked boogiepop and others. I liked how seeing events unfold from different points of view helped build each overall arc

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

boogie pop was fine, its just that the first arc is really disjointed. Some of the arcs are really good though particularly the scarecrow one, really powerful stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I wasn't really sure which thread to ask this in.

At least 6+ years ago (probably more like 10+) I watched like 2 episodes of an anime that I'm trying to remember what it was. It was definitely not Gundam / tangential, but it had a lot of the same kinda thematic stuff.

The major plot points I remember were that it was a group of teenagers in some kind of military school. They ended up being caught up in some kind of civil war or uprising and took command of a space ship. The spaceship combat was like this long protracted stuff, ie they had to all sit around and wait for hours and hours for orbits to intersect etc and then find out of missiles hit or end up in a very short lived gun battle etc. One particular battle was against an enemy ship that could teleport a gun platform / drone around but in doing so placed the ship itself at great risk.

No clue if it sucked or not but the little bits I remember had a pretty neat feel to them, kinda like Das Boot or Run Silent Run Deep in some ways with building up a good bit of slow tension.

It was all very much an aesthetic of Gundam type characters all thrown into combat out of nowhere and had a distinct "Submarines, but actually spaceships / naval battles". There were no aliens that I recall, or at least that wasn't part of the early plot.

Anyone know what this might have been?