Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't get why people freak out about everything that Microsoft does that makes things less lovely. They are pushing the xbox to be a PC like experience without the hassle of dealing with drivers and figuring out what settings work best for your PC. If you can't afford to buy the latest thing, you can still play new games at lower settings. If you want the best graphics, you buy the best thing. It's not like targeting a game at multiple hardware configurations is a completely new concept. It's easier to target 3 levels of xbox than the nearly infinite combinations of parts that exist in the PC market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Cojawfee posted:

I don't get why people freak out about everything that Microsoft does that makes things less lovely. They are pushing the xbox to be a PC like experience without the hassle of dealing with drivers and figuring out what settings work best for your PC. If you can't afford to buy the latest thing, you can still play new games at lower settings. If you want the best graphics, you buy the best thing. It's not like targeting a game at multiple hardware configurations is a completely new concept. It's easier to target 3 levels of xbox than the nearly infinite combinations of parts that exist in the PC market.

To be clear I think it's great, and I enjoy a lot of the moves Microsoft has made to make it easier for me to play games where and on what device I want without rebuying it a million times (ahem Nintendo)
I'm just worried that games won't be as good as they could be being developed -only- for series x. Not just in terms of graphics but physics systems, game ai, amount of poo poo on screen at a time etc..
Like on PC there comes a point when you either have to upgrade or build a new system to continue playing any current games. Not just game is shinier with more resolution on the most expensive hardware kind of thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That could just be what "not yet" means. It will probably take a while before someone is able to make a game that is capable taking full advantage of the hardware. Even then, it will probably be the same as what has been happening on the PC for years. If you have a system capable of doing PhysX, you can turn that on. If your computer can do RTX, then you can turn that on. If you have extra CPU cores, you can turn on spacial audio. But it isn't vital to the game and you can play it on lower end hardware. There are probably gameplay elements you can do that would need ray tracing to do nicely, but you could probably hack it with a camera or something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lmfao rip xbox

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I mean I don't sell Xboxes so I don't care but

Personally if I had just suffered through a console that was historically bad when it comes to exclusives the last thing I would want to force onto devs would be 4 different consoles to target at the same time. And it also sounds like a very bad idea to follow a generation where you lost a bunch of ground with a new gen "which one should I buy?" shootout where the sales experience is going to be a parent getting a half hour explanation of how each xbox is different, and how there's gonna be a more powerful one soon so maybe wait, followed by "....or you could just buy a PS5, which is the next playstation"

As much as I personally hate it as a concept I don't think people would say no to iPhone-esque fuzzy generation borders and "pro" consoles in a vacuum, or if both companies were going for it. But doing all this reeks of yet another 2013 E3 where Microsoft is getting too cute with a bunch of poo poo that is not "Here's a great game that you already love, that looks loving amazing, and you can only play it on this console", when it's very likely that Sony will be doing just that a bunch of times over.

When you're playing from behind you need to take big shots and I just don't think doing two tiers of Pro/X out of the gate is gonna excite people.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

They said everything would work on the og xbox one too but there are definitely some games that really shouldn't be played on one due to horrible frame rate etc

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BrownieVK posted:

What's the point of the Series X then? At what point do we get where making games run on the lowest common denominator adversely effects the game?
It's kind of how PC has min spec, which I get but the OG bone is so drat old and slow at this point.

I'm honestly curious as I will be buying a Series X regardless I just don't get the point of compromising on all games so they can run (poorly) on the poo poo hardware. Maybe I'm missing something here?

Theres no point except to soak bleeding edge tech adopters that buy everything.

3rd parties will target a more popular sku and just up the resolution for the sx like they do now. Nobody but ms will come close to reaching the full potential of the console and ms will only try every so often as we see with xb1x, for every forza looking game theres a crackdown

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Real hurthling! posted:

Theres no point except to soak bleeding edge tech adopters that buy everything.

3rd parties will target a more popular sku and just up the resolution for the sx like they do now. Nobody but ms will come close to reaching the full potential of the console and ms will only try every so often as we see with xb1x, for every forza looking game theres a crackdown

It's the sort of move they should make in an alternate universe where Halo is still a console-pushing tentpole that's bigger than any 3rd party game and you've got a competent dev team on it who can make a big crazy graphics spectacle that will make everyone want the premium console but lol it's still 343, the company that sunk Halo.

congrats to the Forza fans who don't have quuuuuuuite enough money for a high end PC set up though, you'll be well served

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 10, 2020

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Cojawfee posted:

you dont target infinity combinations of parts on pc though, you target an API. maybe you do directx and opengl, or directx and vulkan. most dont and just do directx and call it good. and its also a lot less hassle than a console port which is by requirement actually targetting physical hardware. if we assume ps5 has a similar cpu to the two new xbox skus next gen is working with cpu cores that push maybe 3.5ghz vs base level ps4 and xbox one which are 1.6-7ghz and you now have to make sure that your game still targets that and can run on it. early gen for third parties they do that anyway but saying its required all generation will effect how games are made, or, if xbox sales dont suddenly revive, maybe xbox doesnt get some games if theyre required to work across the board on four (xbox one base, one x, series x, whatever the baseline "series" one is) seperate pieces of hardware.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
This is all moot if sony figures out backwards compatibility at least one gen backwards.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This is all moot if sony figures out backwards compatibility at least one gen backwards.

ps5 is already confirmed bc with ps4

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Lets be honest, games have sucked in general for a long time. Not like some new hardware or system exclusivity is going to somehow fix that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

BonoMan posted:

Lets be honest, games have sucked in general for a long time. Not like some new hardware or system exclusivity is going to somehow fix that.

wild to say this when 2017 alone is one of the best years of games in all of history lmao

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Sell me the most Xboxy Xbox to play MSFS 2020 through game pass on my TV in 4k.

Also, please make an Xbox that is fast enough to run the loving dashboard.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

FunOne posted:

My god yes, if they improve anything next gen please let it be the dashboard. That poo poo is the worst!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That's the one thing Nintendo got right this gen and everyone always complains and asks them to gently caress it up with folders and themes and poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

That's the one thing Nintendo got right this gen and everyone always complains and asks them to gently caress it up with folders and themes and poo poo.

Every time I see a homepage "redesign" I want to die.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

American McGay posted:

God people are such morons about the Switch dash. It's so good.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Stux posted:

ps5 is already confirmed bc with ps4

lol ok we're done here, everyone who bought a PS4 is gonna get a PS5.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

American McGay posted:

The 3DS had folders and themes, and it ran well enough. Xbox's dashboard is heavily bogged down by processing info and ads from the internet.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol ok we're done here, everyone who bought a PS4 is gonna get a PS5.
Actually they're just going to keep their PS4s.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1215697003516190723

(The PS5 has no games)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FunOne posted:

The X runs the dash fast. Unfortunately it's horribly designed. Like holy poo poo. It's soooo bad. I mean is it just me or is the content hierarchy just... nonexistant? It's not like you can't operate but there's zero well thought out content compartmentalization. Absolutely nothing feels natural. 6 months in and I always have to think for a second about "ok how do I get to my games again?"

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Prepare for history to repeat itself and for only the most gamer gamers to get new consoles in the first two years anyways

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

ethanol posted:

Prepare for history to repeat itself and for only the most gamer gamers to get new consoles in the first two years anyways

The only console I've bought on release was the PS4, and it acted pretty much as a Netflix-box for several months until more games were released.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

BonoMan posted:

Lets be honest, games have sucked in general for a long time.

Hmm, disagree

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

ethanol posted:

yeah

I didn't get a ps4 until the GTAV re-release came out, and I didn't get a xbone until it was like 200 dollars and came with Madden and I still regret it lol.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
lot of kids getting PS4s for christmas this year after everyone trades theirs in for a PS5

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
one of my greatest joys this generation was watching my xbox-fan wife realize that now when she hears "hit x" she goes for the bottom button and not the one on the left :getin:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
the best os was the xmb and this is so true that retroarch just straight up uses it

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I completely disagree that the X runs the dash fast. It runs it faster, but it still has loading stutters and other laggy bullshit. Gotta get those promos from the internet!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

FunOne posted:

Same. I cannot wait.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

FunOne posted:

I completely disagree that the X runs the dash fast. It runs it faster, but it still has loading stutters and other laggy bullshit. Gotta get those promos from the internet!

I rarely access anything other than my recent games list so who knwos

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

gonna be playing msfs 2020 on my pc in VR or if that sucks good old trackir

I'm curious if having the xbox version will make using a controller workable though, that could be cool for introducing more people to flight sim.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Most of my dash issues are from the initial load and I thought they were due to a lot of stuff installed having to go through update checks or something. When I got the x it was extremely snappy for a while but as I installed more and more games it got sluggish, but when I quit out of a game it's usually perfectly fine.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Games list and sharing media tab runs buttery smooth for me but when I have to load the store page to buy/download a game it's like a slideshow.

Luckily you can queue up downloads from the online store now so you can avoid most of that headache.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The PS4 dash is also woeful. God forbid you go to the video/tv menu

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

God forbid I try and do anything in the dash with mhw running on the stock hdd of my pro. Lag city

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Quantum of Phallus posted:

What? you don't want to know 30 different things that are now available to buy on video services you don't use just to get to one you do use?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The PS3 has had an unhideable ad for Singstar for like five years. :blastu:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

BonoMan posted:

The X runs the dash fast. Unfortunately it's horribly designed. Like holy poo poo. It's soooo bad. I mean is it just me or is the content hierarchy just... nonexistant? It's not like you can't operate but there's zero well thought out content compartmentalization. Absolutely nothing feels natural. 6 months in and I always have to think for a second about "ok how do I get to my games again?"

Pro tip: set your games to groups and put them on the home page. Then you just press down on the dpad. No lag, super quick. Rest of the ui is a mess, especially going through the layers of the ms store.