Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
Fedora broke during an upgrade. Dnf, you done me wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
"pounded in the butt by my own package updater", a chuck tingle novel

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

TimWinter posted:

Fedora broke during an upgrade

not a regression, wontfix

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

I'm quite literally the best-qualified person on earth to do it

Imagine meeting someone who would actually say this without any trace of irony.

How do these insufferable grey beards make money? Like, are they actually hired and tolerated by companies and other people in the real world?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

TimWinter posted:

Fedora broke during an upgrade. Dnf, you done me wrong.

would you say it ... did not finish?

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Xik posted:

How do these insufferable grey beards make money? Like, are they actually hired and tolerated by companies and other people in the real world?

in tech, pretending pay didn't exist, there are jobs that people want, but aren't qualified for, there are jobs no one wants but everyone is qualified for, and then extremely rarely there are jobs that no-one wants and no-one is qualified for

those are the positions these people take

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
When was GCC supposed to make a final decision on this mess anyway?

Athas fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 30, 2019

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

Phobeste posted:

why would you change it to a year other than 2020, which will be the year of Linux on the desktop

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Soricidus posted:

would you say it ... did not finish?

lol

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Soricidus posted:

I’m still lolling that my rtx card came with a free game that still doesn’t actually support rtx several months later

which was it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Xik posted:

ESR was (maybe still is) supported by his wife’s lawyering

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

eschaton posted:

ESR was (maybe still is) supported by his wife’s lawyering

i thought he lucked into some money recently from an investment in a startup or something like that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The_Franz posted:

i thought he lucked into some money recently from an investment in a startup or something like that

well known hugely successful business va linux

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well known hugely successful business va linux

they were for a hot minute

i bet all their revenue comes from thinkgeek now

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

psiox posted:

they were for a hot minute

i bet all their revenue comes from thinkgeek now

do they still have thinkgeek or was it sold when they rolled it into gamestop?

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

don't use zfs

mystes
May 31, 2006

The made a lot of people on HN mad, so it was good I guess.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
ext4

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

has anyone said "red hat chili peppers" yet

mystes
May 31, 2006

The filesystem situation is pretty bad though. EXT4 works fine for what it is but I wish there was something built into linux that had more modern features and wasn't scary for various reasons. BTRFS seems like it will never be safe and the the licensing problem with ZFS can probably never be overcome. At this rate maybe reiserfs will somehow come back after reiser gets out on parole.

I wonder if the situation wouldn't actually be better if ZFS had never been open sourced, since its existence seems to have unfortunately decreased interest in developing alternatives.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 10, 2020

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mystes posted:

The filesystem situation is pretty bad though. EXT4 works fine for what it is but I wish there was something built into linux that had more modern features and wasn't scary for various reasons. BTRFS seems like it will never be safe and the the licensing problem with ZFS can probably never be overcome. At this rate maybe reiserfs will somehow come back after reiser gets out on parole.

I wonder if the situation wouldn't actually be better if ZFS had never been open sourced, since its existence seems to have unfortunately decreased interest in developing alternatives.

Reiser5 was indeed recently announced

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Maximum Leader posted:

never understood why ssh login was so slow to ubuntu, now it makes sense. another component that's suspiciously slow is the command not found message. wouldn't surprise me if they did something similar there

yeah command not found queries apt to find your executable on ubuntu. other distros generally have a separate command to do that

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mystes posted:

I don't really think open sourcing zfs really did anything, the push for those modern features came from the business world, and those usually have support contracts, SLAs, and dollar signs attached to it anyways. zfs being released was more of a "hey look what we found on the sidewalk" type of thing from the hobbyist world.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Truga posted:

yeah command not found queries apt to find your executable on ubuntu. other distros generally have a separate command to do that

it's slow on fedora and it looks like it shares the "packagekit-command-not-found" package with debian

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
i still have scars from using LVM forever ago and superstitiously haven't touched it since, but isn't it supposed to give you a (probably small) subset of similar features that you get with zfs or btrfs? aside from pooling i mean

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
deeper shame: i was one of the idiots actually using EVMS for awhile. like the stuff that kinda worked, but with IBM magic that made it work less

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the selling point of ZFS was the filesystem management and volume management were tightly integrated into a single handy UI while also introducing new features that are impossible with the traditional separation between filesystem and block device that LVM still uses

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

pseudorandom name posted:

the selling point of ZFS was the filesystem management and volume management were tightly integrated into a single handy UI while also introducing new features that are impossible with the traditional separation between filesystem and block device that LVM still uses

cool; yeah, that's been my impression and i find it challenging to trust lvm snapshots

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

what's wrong with xfs? nasa uses it for their needs and it works fine

mystes
May 31, 2006

Snapshots are one of the areas where LVM is really behind stuff like ZFS, unfortunately.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

LVM has thin pools now, which sort of brings snapshotting into ZFS territory.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The one feature I personally really want from BTRFS/ZFS is fast incremental backups, but I don't think it's worth messing with ZFS just for that and lol BTRFS.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

Reiser5 was indeed recently announced

I used murderFS back in the day. it was good.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

mocking btrfs is like a meme. it works wonders, you should use it. used it on literally all of my systems for years, i've never had any issues.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i used xfs in the pre-2010 heydays though, and boy did that fs eat data

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Tankakern posted:

mocking btrfs is like a meme. it works wonders, you should use it. used it on literally all of my systems for years, i've never had any issues.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I use ext4 or xfs with llvm because that’s what CentOS and Fedora default to.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
last time i used it i closed my laptop lid and the filesystem got corrupted. maybe its better now

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
ty for the positive perspective on btrfs! any caveats folks should know about, like never letting the fs fill up past a certain percentage, not using trim, etc etc? (i have no idea if those things are relevant)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tankakern posted:

I tried using it on a laptop for a while. If the system wasn't shut down cleanly (i.e. I left the laptop suspended and forgot to charge it) there was like a 1 in 3 chance that the filesystem would become completely corrupted. After reinstalling the whole system several times I switched to ext4.

Most computers aren't hard reset that often but there's no way I'm going to use a filesystem that can't handle being hard reset.