Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

goth smoking cloves posted:

I mean... they absolutely need to do this, that would be amazing.
They did. They called them Eldrazi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

"What if... I followed Elspeth..."

Brilliant.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Count Bleck posted:

"What if... I followed Elspeth..."

Brilliant.

Sounds like this is an "Enterprise Holodeck" situation where Klothys just "created a being to pursue elspeth" and accidentally made a planeswalker.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

I mean... they absolutely need to do this, that would be amazing.

not to McBane you but the most accurate translations of angels from the Old Testament and the book of Revelations make them out to be Eldritch monstrosities. The "White People with wings" is basically one specific angel (Archangel Michael, god's bae, with the Flaming Sword) and the rest are basically bad acid trips. Some of them are described in Ancient Hebrew as being more akin to non-euclidian architecture than as living entities

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Going through the preview it looks like White gets a ton more efficient removal than usual, which probably makes it more playable in limited than usual

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Organized play updates continue to be a shitpile. Now only your first two GP finishes of each cycle (which are for some reason not quarterly) count towards the Player's Points used to calculate your ranking.
So if you strike out at your two GP's for that cycle you have no way of doing any better, you just have to wait for the next cycle to start. If you think you're gonna do badly at any given GP, you can pre-emptively contact Wizards and ask that this GP not be counted.

Oh and it is effective today apparently.

https://magic.gg/news/2020-grand-prix-player-points-cap

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

not to McBane you but the most accurate translations of angels from the Old Testament and the book of Revelations make them out to be Eldritch monstrosities. The "White People with wings" is basically one specific angel (Archangel Michael, god's bae, with the Flaming Sword) and the rest are basically bad acid trips. Some of them are described in Ancient Hebrew as being more akin to non-euclidian architecture than as living entities

Yes, that is what I was trying to say. I want a psychedelic plane with crazy angels that don't look like living creatures.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
i thought artificial constructs couldnt be planeswalkers

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Cactrot posted:

Organized play updates continue to be a shitpile. Now only your first two GP finishes of each cycle (which are for some reason not quarterly) count towards the Player's Points used to calculate your ranking.
So if you strike out at your two GP's for that cycle you have no way of doing any better, you just have to wait for the next cycle to start. If you think you're gonna do badly at any given GP, you can pre-emptively contact Wizards and ask that this GP not be counted.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Cactrot posted:

it's been a long time since I've seen a WotC decision so universally reviled as this one.

https://twitter.com/SethManfield/status/1215649834809643008?s=20

https://twitter.com/MartinJuza/status/1215525909136072706?s=20

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What’s the play here: why make a change this stupid?

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Dont forget that some regions dont even have 2 GPs per cycle!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Yes, that is what I was trying to say. I want a psychedelic plane with crazy angels that don't look like living creatures.

"Uh, yeah, I want a number two, large fries, and a frosty please"

"Sir this is a מַלְאָכִים"

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

dragon enthusiast posted:

i thought artificial constructs couldnt be planeswalkers

*Laughs, Karnishly*

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
lol ok

https://twitter.com/bmkibler/status/1215652783010902016?s=19

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It seems like a measure to avoid gp grinding for position that benefits only people who can afford to go to all of them.

It's a bad implementation. Why not just the best two gps count so if one bombs you can try again?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

It's a bad implementation. Why not just the best two gps count so if one bombs you can try again?

https://twitter.com/bmkibler/status/1215656115834245120?s=19

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Best 2 is still a better formula, imo, plus it’s better marketing, so it’s doubly weird.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Arena stuff happening, the only part I think the thread cares about is that 8-person drafts are 'In Concept' so we could maybe see them shortly before the heat death of the universe. I expect that if we ever do see it, we'll get to do them once a month unless you buy the pod pass for twenty bucks, in which case you can do them weekly or some other horseshit.

Edit: Also this seems to point to us not actually getting the paper Pioneer format on Arena, but rather a series of "remastered" sets that are in Pioneer, starting with Amonkhet.... which is already in Arena anyway.

quote:

We've also added Pioneer Set Remasters onto the in-concept list, which will include the Amonkhet remaster, as well the additional sets we're working in conjunction with Magic R&D to help bring the most relevant Pioneer cards to MTG Arena. And as we continue to expand the available formats and ways to play, we've started to concept out a rework to our play blade to make organizing and finding these events easier.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-state-game-january-2020-01-10

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 10, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

What the Hell is a set "remaster?" Winnowing down to just the cards you need to make a constructed format without every draft dross french vanilla creature and bad rate removal implemented? Actually re-balancing the set with errata to the busted cards?

Guay art on everything?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Owlbear Camus posted:

What the Hell is a set "remaster?" Winnowing down to just the cards you need to make a constructed format without every draft dross french vanilla creature and bad rate removal implemented? Actually re-balancing the set with errata to the busted cards?

Guay art on everything?
re-releasing the whole set with masterpiece templating

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

Guay art on everything?

A remaster is where you upshift the expensive cards to mythic.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

The goal is to eventually get pioneer on Arena iirc, so I think it's just "release amonkhet or whatever without the draft chaff"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Owlbear Camus posted:

Guay art on everything?

Its the former. They won't be errattaing any cards, their plan is to condense every Pioneer set into a single BLOCK and that block will contain all the RELEVANT cards. So we're just gonna get one batch of Amonkhet, one batch of Khaladesh etc.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

a re-release of throne where oko's first two abilities are a +1 and a -1, respectively

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Its the former. They won't be errattaing any cards, their plan is to condense every Pioneer set into a single BLOCK and that block will contain all the RELEVANT cards. So we're just gonna get one batch of Amonkhet, one batch of Khaladesh etc.

they did this on MTGO once, Tempest Remastered

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I need my approach jank back

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Koirhor posted:

I need my approach jank back

T3feri Approach could be some fukkin nonsense.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Maybe some actual hope today though.

https://twitter.com/BasicMountain/status/1215714337743990784

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
"Why is every card in this set red?"

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

what does "play blade rework" mean?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Retromancer posted:

what does "play blade rework" mean?

Probably the little play menu where you select a format and deck and everything

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

holy goddamn Card Kingdom is preordering hot dryad daddy at $15. that's insane.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Creature Types change!

Ascendant Evincar: Vampire -> Vampire Noble

Crovax the Cursed: Vampire -> Vampire Noble

Crovax, Ascendant Hero: Human -> Human Noble

Earl of Squirrel: Squirrel Advisor -> Squirrel Noble Advisor

Lady Caleria: Human Archer -> Elf Archer
Ridgescale Tusker: Beast -> Pangolin Beast

"Among the lists of subtypes, we've got a lot of new stuff, albeit less than Throne of Eldraine had. Demigod and Tentacle join the list of creature types, despite a lack of tentacled Demigods in this set. Gold joins the list of artifact types. And Calix joins the list of planeswalker types."

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

What the Hell is a set "remaster?" Winnowing down to just the cards you need to make a constructed format without every draft dross french vanilla creature and bad rate removal implemented?

Oh you sweet summer child.

Its going to be a bunch of limited nonsense and a handful of chase cards with lots of blatant omissions, just like every reprint set ever.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ugu~

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Kurtofan posted:

Creature Types change!

Ascendant Evincar: Vampire -> Vampire Noble

Crovax the Cursed: Vampire -> Vampire Noble

Crovax, Ascendant Hero: Human -> Human Noble

Earl of Squirrel: Squirrel Advisor -> Squirrel Noble Advisor

Lady Caleria: Human Archer -> Elf Archer
Ridgescale Tusker: Beast -> Pangolin Beast

"Among the lists of subtypes, we've got a lot of new stuff, albeit less than Throne of Eldraine had. Demigod and Tentacle join the list of creature types, despite a lack of tentacled Demigods in this set. Gold joins the list of artifact types. And Calix joins the list of planeswalker types."

Cool. More errata to remember for my paper cards.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Kawaii desu nee~~

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The fact that we have Pangolin as a creature type is pretty weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Aranan posted:

The fact that we have Pangolin as a creature type is pretty weird.

Surrakar