Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

That's because the big dept stores had a terrible holiday season. Target, Walmart, Costco and the like had good sales over Christmas and New Years. But mid-high end stories suffered: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/09/business/jcpenney-macys-kohls-department-stores/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

golden bubble posted:

That's because the big dept stores had a terrible holiday season. Target, Walmart, Costco and the like had good sales over Christmas and New Years. But mid-high end stories suffered: https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/09/business/jcpenney-macys-kohls-department-stores/index.html

Macys should have had more tramplimg related deaths to hype up the seasons sales

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Anecdotal I know, but my immediate family and circle of friends shopped almost exclusively at two locally owned boutique stores that market almost perfectly to us. For those in/near WV, they were Kinship Goods and Full Circle Gifts and Goods. Both stores were standing room only on Small Business Saturday.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Retrowave Joe posted:

Small Business Saturday.

:barf:

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Thank you for that insight.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Etsy was my go-to, except for the Duplo for Niece 1, Frozen set for Niece 2, and trip to amusement park for Nephew.

Edit: Niece 2 would have gotten Duplo except we were shopping and she literally walked up and started hugging that set.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

golden bubble posted:

Huh. It's almost like people don't have money to spend. I wonder how that could have happened.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kreeblah posted:

Huh. It's almost like people don't have money to spend. I wonder how that could have happened.

But student and medical debt avocadoes

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 10, 2020

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

golden bubble posted:

Kreeblah posted:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kreeblah posted:

I don't feel like I know what role high end department stores even fill at this point in history. They are like, big box chain stores, but fancy, but not actually fancy? Like if you are too good to shop for clothes at target but not good enough to be buying from boutique they are the store for your demographic?

Like I feel like they staked out way too small a socioeconomic slice of who shops at dillards to justify the long term existence of dillards at this point.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't feel like I know what role high end department stores even fill at this point in history. They are like, big box chain stores, but fancy, but not actually fancy? Like if you are too good to shop for clothes at target but not good enough to be buying from boutique they are the store for your demographic?

Like I feel like they staked out way too small a socioeconomic slice of who shops at dillards to justify the long term existence of dillards at this point.

iirc It was supposed to be like buying from an independent boutique store, with the same kind of personalized service from staff, but upscale brands.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

One thing that I'll say for Amazon is that when they say Free Shipping they really mean it, even to Hawaii. There have been a million times when I've been on some other site to buy some cart with a few nominal small things, such as tea, and the website advertises free shipping to the continental US and then at checkout it's like "UPS Ground Shipping - $76" for Hawaii

The only problem when you manage to luck into free shipping from Amazon is the delivery date becomes a wild flight of fantasy because gently caress you, you cheap bastard. Even in the continental US.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think they used to command respect over the big boxes but now upper middle class has no problems buying clothes from Target or Costco. (Like all my new clothes are coming Costco and even my wife buys a ton from them).

Separately their pricing has never made sense. I’ve never had anything ring up for the price on the tag Macy’s. I walk to the register prepared to pay X and walk out paying way less than X. That doesn’t seem too smart. On the other hand JCP tried to end this and it killed them.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

asdf32 posted:

Separately their pricing has never made sense. I’ve never had anything ring up for the price on the tag Macy’s. I walk to the register prepared to pay X and walk out paying way less than X. That doesn’t seem too smart. On the other hand JCP tried to end this and it killed them.

Kohl's does this as well. It's an old mid-tier sales tactic. They control the sticker price. So they jack up the prices on everything 100%, and then rotate everything through 25-75% off on a cycle to keep you coming back and feeling like you're getting some kind of deal even though you're not.

Cicero posted:

A nonmagnetic fridge? Such a thing exists?

I bought a fancy fridge like 2 years ago. The front is non-magnetic, but the sides are magnetic. This keeps our kitchen looking clean, but boring.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I've worked at stores that use that pricing scheme and it bothered me how people fall for it, but then I realised that I, and many others, do the same thing with video games. Instead of digital games steadily dropping in price as they should, many stay high for years and years but, occasionally, one goes on sale for a large %% and people flock to it. It's not identical, but it's not dissimilar either.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Clothing stores have always been notorious for that sort of thing. The snag is that when a clothing store tries to just, you know, not do that and price their clothing in a sane manner while not having misleading :siren: UP TO 19,124% OFF!!!! :siren: sales nobody goes there. I forget which chain it was but it drat near destroyed them. I really don't want to see the internet-wide meltdown that would happen if, say, a Steam summer sale didn't happen some year. It's a tradition at this point.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jc penny tried the "just low prices, no sales"

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Scion also tried that for cars. People want their never ending $7500 off MSRP Buy Now Sales Event!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The problem with "we'll just have low prices" is that you also have to actually have low prices. Semi-affluent people can get tricked into going for a more expensive purchase if they think they're getting a good deal, but the person who looks solely at price wasn't finding particularly good prices at JC Penny even when they did away with sales

Likewise for cars, if you're legit making good cars at an affordable price then people are going to buy them but Scion doesn't do that so they need discount gimmicks

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Scions aren't bad actually. My 110k mile xA drives like a champ and will continue to do so for another 200k.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

less than three posted:

Scion also tried that for cars. People want their never ending $7500 off MSRP Buy Now Sales Event!

It's a simple matter of price discrimination. Fashion has a group of customers who will pay top dollar to be current/cool and another group that doesn't care. Successful retailers need to sell at different prices to each group.

gaj70 fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 11, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

anonumos posted:

Scions aren't bad actually. My 110k mile xA drives like a champ and will continue to do so for another 200k.

They were just a Toyota marque, and Toyota is pretty good.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The Pontiac vibe is a secret Toyota Yaris and because Pontiac doesn't exist anymore they're dirt cheap.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Beachcomber posted:

Etsy was my go-to, except for the Duplo for Niece 1, Frozen set for Niece 2, and trip to amusement park for Nephew.

Edit: Niece 2 would have gotten Duplo except we were shopping and she literally walked up and started hugging that set.
Hopefully this isn't too much of a derail, but as someone who's sold on Etsy, even it isn't immune to drop shipping, or people taking a bulk bought pendant, throwing a chain on and marking it up to a hilarious degree. Go through a couple pages and make sure the same thing isn't showing up from multiple sellers, and if it is, check the supplies section on Etsy or go to eBay and either way buy it direct from China yourself.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

The problem with "we'll just have low prices" is that you also have to actually have low prices. Semi-affluent people can get tricked into going for a more expensive purchase if they think they're getting a good deal, but the person who looks solely at price wasn't finding particularly good prices at JC Penny even when they did away with sales

That’s the thing other consumers paying higher/full price at a place like Kohl’s are subsidizing those getting extremely low prices. So when JC Penney tried just low prices they couldn’t have the lowest price overall, but also lost money on those who would have paid higher prices. The average price between the two ends up in the same place, except JC Penney got crushed in traffic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

im depressed lol posted:

Do you have a source on Burlington burning coats? Sounds likely as I've heard employees of home improvement stores taking various items and putting them in the crusher per vendor instruction.. The vendor would credit them 'something' due to it not being worth the shipping costs.
The source was Richard Wolff on an episode of Economic Update, but I don't remember which.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

The Pontiac vibe is a secret Toyota Yaris and because Pontiac doesn't exist anymore they're dirt cheap.

The Vibe was a Matrix, not a Yaris. Matrix is basically a Corolla hatchback, which is a size class bigger than Yaris.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

This might be a question better answered in AI, but why do auto manufacturers license/oem vehicles for other companies?

Like, I understand Ford owned part of a Mazda at the time so it was mutually beneficial, but what about the aforementioned Vibe/Corolla, Cougar/Eclipse, and so on? Areas where their competition has nothing to offer?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mister Facetious posted:

This might be a question better answered in AI, but why do auto manufacturers license/oem vehicles for other companies?

Like, I understand Ford owned part of a Mazda at the time so it was mutually beneficial, but what about the aforementioned Vibe/Corolla, Cougar/Eclipse, and so on? Areas where their competition has nothing to offer?

You can save money if two companies share a plant, and even more money if you share parts.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
And sell almost the same car to three different price markets if you badge them as Saturn, Pontiac, Chevrolet / Ford, Lincoln, Mercury etc.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Mister Facetious posted:

Toyota and GM created a joint plant in the 80’s that made the GEO Metro/Corolla before that. It was Toyota’s first US plant.

Usually it’s shared ownership but there are examples of licensing (Isuzu rebranded as a Honda SUV when Honda was late to that market).

There are lots of joint ventures now for self driving and electric technology.

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 12, 2020

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Of course, my brother-in-law's TC is in rough shape but it's a stick and he's not a good driver. Overall though, Scion/Toyota is pretty good.

You could speak to Saturns being crap cars that were sold with no hassle pricing. Very inconsistent build quality and its very hard to find one that will last.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

less than three posted:

And sell almost the same car to three different price markets if you badge them as Saturn, Pontiac, Chevrolet / Ford, Lincoln, Mercury etc.

I'm aware of reusing chassis within the same company, I wanted to know why competitors did it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mister Facetious posted:

In the case of the Subaru BRZ - Toyota 86/Scion FR-S, Toyota wanted to make an inexpensive RWD car with a low center of gravity, and Subaru is known for making boxer engines (pistons go left-right in opposition instead of up-down or at an angle), which helps keep the center of gravity down. RWD sports cars don’t sell tons, so splitting the cost makes it much easier to bring to market.

It’s literally the same car made in the same factory with slightly different interior/exterior options. That’s it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, I'm familiar with that one. Top Gear did a whole thing on it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Solenna posted:

Hopefully this isn't too much of a derail, but as someone who's sold on Etsy, even it isn't immune to drop shipping, or people taking a bulk bought pendant, throwing a chain on and marking it up to a hilarious degree. Go through a couple pages and make sure the same thing isn't showing up from multiple sellers, and if it is, check the supplies section on Etsy or go to eBay and either way buy it direct from China yourself.

Weird succulents

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

I'm aware of reusing chassis within the same company, I wanted to know why competitors did it.

Factories cost billions (more if you are new to / awful in that submarket e.g., AWD or econo-mobiles) For the mfg company, you can spread that expense over more volume. For the licensing co, you get to fill a hole in your lineup without spending as much.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Solenna posted:

My partner literally had her pin designs sold to a third party (likely via her manufacturer) and it was up on etsy before she'd gotten her fulfilment.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
Maybe don't source stuff from China?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ErIog posted:

Kohl's does this as well. It's an old mid-tier sales tactic. They control the sticker price. So they jack up the prices on everything 100%, and then rotate everything through 25-75% off on a cycle to keep you coming back and feeling like you're getting some kind of deal even though you're not

You see enough stuff, comparison shopping or not, and you get an idea as to whether or not the original price made any sense.