Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

LOL obviously the russians had a backdoor into their fire control system and Putin decided to spice things up with a little bit of murder.

e: Really though you're right it seems absolutely insane to willingly fire on a jet airliner but it's hard to finish that sentence without "1988" flashing in bold letters in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm trying not to think all tinfoil hatty like that...but man would it ever be just like trump;

"Mr president, we have secured a backdoor attack into the Iranian air defense network. We can take control of their launchers at any time".
"GOOD SHOOT DOWN A PLANE AND WE CAN BLAME IRAN FOR IT *snifffffff*"

There's no way, right?

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

MA-Horus posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around the sequence of events in that missile launch.

You're in a TOR (SA-15) missile system, crew of 4. 2 operators, commander, driver.
You are at heightened alert due to the Suleimani attack. You might not even know that your country is retaliating.
You've been ordered(?) to keep active radars off to keep from showing your location to American stealth aircraft which may be in the area, so you're running on passive systems.

You are deployed rather close to an International airport which has commercial flights going in-out at a regular interval.
You see something show up on your passive systems, on a track which appears to be coming from the airport. Low altitude, Flight level 80 (8000ft). It is running a commercial aircraft transponder.

At some point, you decide if it walks like a commercial airliner and quacks like a commercial airliner...it's a US military aircraft going 400mph at 8000 feet over an ADZ that makes Hanoi look like chump change, light up your active radar and fire off a shot?
I just don't get the logic behind it at ALL.

I think it may be more like:

You get woken up by a panicked phone call from your superior, telling you to get the equipment ready for combat. No one knows what's going on, or if Tehran is being attacked. No one tells you about the retaliation, separate branch of the military even. If war has started, surely the commercial flights would be halted, right? You know the Americans will smoke you if you turn the radar on, but you hear jets somewhere. Probably the first round of Tomahawks. How about a snap shot, show you did something? You can empty your launchers and go somewhere safe while the initial strikes are raining down.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MA-Horus posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around the sequence of events in that missile launch.

You're in a TOR (SA-15) missile system, crew of 4. 2 operators, commander, driver.
You are at heightened alert due to the Suleimani attack. You might not even know that your country is retaliating.
You've been ordered(?) to keep active radars off to keep from showing your location to American stealth aircraft which may be in the area, so you're running on passive systems.

You are deployed rather close to an International airport which has commercial flights going in-out at a regular interval.
You see something show up on your passive systems, on a track which appears to be coming from the airport. Low altitude, Flight level 80 (8000ft). It is running a commercial aircraft transponder.

At some point, you decide if it walks like a commercial airliner and quacks like a commercial airliner...it's a US military aircraft going 400mph at 8000 feet over an ADZ that makes Hanoi look like chump change, light up your active radar and fire off a shot?
I just don't get the logic behind it at ALL.

If you think that’s bad, wait til you hear about the USS Vincennes. Makes the more recent shootdown seem downright understandable by comparison.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I don't see the impass, just pay the US $0 and they'll leave, right?

No I think the implication here is that bad things will happen if we leave.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/10/politics/russian-warship-us-aircraft-carrier-video/index.html

Russian vessel being Russian in the Arabian sea.

E: the twit about it

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1215662299761037316?s=19

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

No I think the implication here is that bad things will happen if we leave.

Wait a minute, are you telling me that our good (great) President who likes to pretend he's a mob boss would do something like that. Perish the thought

Edit:

Rude of the Russians to tailgate our destroyer

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 10, 2020

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton/...ingawful.com%2F

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ben Norton is another one of those tankie twits like Rania Khalek or Max Blumenthal who actually believe that Soleimani was some committed anti-imperialist.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Ben Norton is another one of those tankie twits like Rania Khalek or Max Blumenthal who actually believe that Soleimani was some committed anti-imperialist.

Yeah the assassination was not a good thing but Ben Norton is a real sick little freak.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

mlmp08 posted:

If you think that’s bad, wait til you hear about the USS Vincennes. Makes the more recent shootdown seem downright understandable by comparison.

No I know about the Vincennes shootdown, dumb as poo poo. This is even dumber and I just don't get it. SAM launchers usually work in a networked configuration with a command vehicle. Was this one standalone? There's so many questions I want answered.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Second option bias is a hell of a drug.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Current event: Vikings are playing at the 49rs tomorrow, and goddamnit I'm going to get as blitzed as our offensive line will.

Skol!

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MA-Horus posted:

No I know about the Vincennes shootdown, dumb as poo poo. This is even dumber and I just don't get it. SAM launchers usually work in a networked configuration with a command vehicle. Was this one standalone? There's so many questions I want answered.

Yeah, the suspicion is that it wasn't networked. Rogoway has a really good article on all the factors that could have potentially contributed to the accident.
https://twitter.com/Aviation_Intel/status/1215481735804153856?s=19

quote:

More importantly, we don't know exactly how deeply intertwined the Tor-M1 units are with Iran's greater integrated air defense system (IADS). In other words, the degree to which a Tor-M1 battery was operating independently of a greater aerial surveillance and command and control architecture is unknown, but it is a key factor that could have contributed to making such a mistake. I would bet that this system was operating without the benefit of any deep integration with a large IADS, which makes some sense when you think about its primary road-mobile, infantry-guarding mission set.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
You guys are overthinking this, it's Obama's/the squad/impeachment dem's fault

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Vaccinate your loving children

https://twitter.com/aseitzwald/status/1215689022510698496?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 10, 2020

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1215685255430057984?s=20

Just normal stuff.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

:confused:

This would be orders of magnitude worse than the flight 655 incident.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

mlmp08 posted:

Our ships can't even stop running into literally every at sea now so I dunno

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Bellingcat is very good.

https://twitter.com/pbump/status/1215705500563595265?s=19

Whole thing's worth a read really, it's not just governments that say Iran shot down that passenger plane.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1215671182923649024?s=19

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Man, that US crew was so terrified of this blatant show of force that crewmen were casually waltzing around the helipad as the Russian ship tailgated them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Reminder the UNC system settled for $2.5m with these guys to have the statue removed without continuing fuss.

(I know it says that in the article).

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

MA-Horus posted:

No this was objectivley less dumb (still bad) but like infinitely less dumb than the Vincennes shootdown.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

That Works posted:

Reminder the UNC system settled for $2.5m with these guys to have the statue removed without continuing fuss.

(I know it says that in the article).

In an agreement settled on before the lawsuit was even filed. They were sued and settled in a day.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

No this was objectivley less dumb (still bad) but like infinitely less dumb than the Vincennes shootdown.

Do you have anything to justify this volcanicly hot take?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Madurai posted:

It's way past time we had our bazillion airplane makers back. I look forward to seeing Vultee and Curtiss-made drones.

*chanting* Grumman Grumman Grumman

The company that designed the F-14 hud attitude indicator is truly the kind of out of the box, lateral (or rather, vertical) thinking the future needs.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jarmak posted:

Do you have anything to justify this volcanicly hot take?

A destroyer/cruiser with a fully manned CIC and commanded by an O-5/6 illegally entering Iranian waters and shooting a codes-broadcasting airliner is objectively loving dumber than some 2-4 man SHORAD crew screwing up. And their bodycount was higher to boot.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

Bellingcat is very good.

https://twitter.com/pbump/status/1215705500563595265?s=19

Whole thing's worth a read really, it's not just governments that say Iran shot down that passenger plane.

I mean, i see no reason to believe it wasn't a twitchy Iranian AA, but Bellingcat is funded by the US government.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 10, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

It's probably safe to assume Iran's military has a lot of decision making power at an unusually low level, right? Any planning on their part probably takes for granted that command and control and communications would be effectively shut down immediately if a shooting war broke out with the US.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Crakkerjakk posted:

I mean, i see no reason to believe it wasn't a twitchy Iranian AA, but Bellingcat is funded by the US government.

You do know that brown moses is a goon and posts here, right? I mean it's been a while, but it's not like he's some extension of the cia.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

it's not like he's some extension of the cia.

According to Glenn Beck...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Hey we’re not supposed to talk about code name sponsor here.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
RIP Neil Peart of Rush

https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/rush-drummer-neil-peart-dead-at-67-1.4762345

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

You do know that brown moses is a goon and posts here, right? I mean it's been a while, but it's not like he's some extension of the cia.

There's a handful of people in DnD and I assume cspam that think he is. I'm not saying crackerjakk is one of them (or isn't) but they do exist.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdpMpfp-J_I

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Crakkerjakk posted:

One of the most disingenuous not-technically-a-lie-if-you-squint I've read in a while.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

joat mon posted:

One of the most disingenuous not-technically-a-lie-if-you-squint I've read in a while.
I guess I'm not squinting hard enough. What's the technicality?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

They’re funded in part by the National Endowment for Democracy, which itself gets a grant from Congress each year for democracy promotion. Bellingcat is not directly funded by the USG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
If Iran is really insistent on going down the :regd08: path at this point they need to be asserting it was an American CIA team with a Stinger/Redeye and screaming false flag, not Baghdad Bobbing it up pretending a missile did not hit the plane since there's, you know, a video of a missile hitting the goddamn plane?

Rookie mistake from a government that really should know better.