Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
RIP Neil :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

gently caress.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

I find his videos to be obnoxious :shrug:

I’ve never seen that video of his crash, though, holy poo poo.

Which one?

Iirc isn't he the guy who also rammed a parked car while trying to throw business cards at people standing on their front lawn?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

wrecked a triumph

MomJeans420 posted:

killed two Daytonas

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

stuffed his triumph
I believe the verb is "to moot"

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Toe Rag posted:

I find his videos to be obnoxious :shrug:

I’ve never seen that video of his crash, though, holy poo poo.
Yeah I heard about this but searching Youtube for it mostly returns people dunking on him, which is funny, but it's hard to find the actual crash. drat :stare: Glad he didn't die or get permanently injured, he's lucky, and should possibly take that as a sign to step down to a smaller bike or perhaps quit motorcycling forever. Did he ever say if he was recording during the crash?

Now this guy... (two guys actually, they revealed themselves as the Beavis and Butthead of motorcycling when they switched to their current style of Youtube clickbaity prattling brotalk vlogs some time after posting a bunch of mysterious videos of a BMW S1000RR tearing up a mountain road somewhere in Italy). This guy I'm amazed is still around, he really shouldn't be encouraged but I check every few weeks out of morbid curiousity. The Beavis character who does the more, uh, spirited riding crashed a few times but always pretty minor and low speed, against all odds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n5OmQzy5qI

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Which one?

Iirc isn't he the guy who also rammed a parked car while trying to throw business cards at people standing on their front lawn?

It was this one, unless that's a joke about his multiple high profile crashes.

I hadn't heard about that crash you describe, but that sounds on point for him. Kind of amazing he's on YouTube giving out beginner's advice.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah I heard about this but searching Youtube for it mostly returns people dunking on him, which is funny, but it's hard to find the actual crash. drat :stare: Glad he didn't die or get permanently injured, he's lucky, and should possibly take that as a sign to step down to a smaller bike or perhaps quit motorcycling forever. Did he ever say if he was recording during the crash?

Now this guy... (two guys actually, they revealed themselves as the Beavis and Butthead of motorcycling when they switched to their current style of Youtube clickbaity prattling brotalk vlogs some time after posting a bunch of mysterious videos of a BMW S1000RR tearing up a mountain road somewhere in Italy). This guy I'm amazed is still around, he really shouldn't be encouraged but I check every few weeks out of morbid curiousity. The Beavis character who does the more, uh, spirited riding crashed a few times but always pretty minor and low speed, against all odds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n5OmQzy5qI

Yeah, that guy popped up in my feed, but I decided to stop watching after a video or two. I suspect we're all guilty of speeding, but he's just being reckless IMO. 3 minutes of riding, and his buddy crashed, and he clipped his right mirror on a wall. Crossing over the center line is a cardinal sin. If you have to for safety reasons, then OK, but just to take a corner faster is just being really selfish.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0df37f5OwI

Watch a group of pretty regular dudes do a 24 hour endurance race. There's a lot of stuff leading up to the race that can be more or less interesting, including some shorter endurance races. But, the main event starts at about 1h 2min.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Paulo Goncalves died last night racing Dakar.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=_3ZNpl6ge4U

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/events/dakar-rally-saudi-arabia-2020/live/stage-7-dakar-rally-2020

He was pretty badass. Look at him hop up from this.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=dPqZgRU8_HI

You may remember him from last week when he changed his engine on course.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=dFydwzLowsY

Here he is helping despres out of the mud, only for despres to zip off and leave his bike stuck.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wfDLztzCtJA&feature=youtu.be

Cause of death was cardiac but it’s unclear to me right now whether he had a heart attack and crashed or if he crashed and died.

e: one last video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VocOMomgRws

builds character fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 13, 2020

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Amazingly this was not the crash that killed him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPqZgRU8_HI

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Got my new helmets in the mail today (with a brokerage charge of $101.16, loving UPS horse cocks). The Wall O' Lids is complete.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Edit- too mean. Sorry.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Aw come on, don't hold back, officer.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I questioned whether the helmet collection (which I like) and the massive quantity of hats was indicative of a deficiency of hair follicles.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You'd be correct. I'm 32 and resigned to being a Bald Dude now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E: ^^^hahaha gently caress yeah

It's a deficiency alright but hair's got nothing to do with it. The hats are by the by but the real giveaway is having two Rossi helmets - the sign of a tragic old man trying to capture a disappearing youth.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Mister Speaker posted:

gently caress hats. Own that poo poo.

Slavvy posted:

E: ^^^hahaha gently caress yeah

It's a deficiency alright but hair's got nothing to do with it. The hats are by the by but the real giveaway is having two Rossi helmets - the sign of a tragic old man trying to capture a disappearing youth.

Lol

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

In a cruel twist of fate, the caps were the cause, not the solution.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

The best part about being bald is all that money you used to spend on haircuts and hair products you can now spend on hats!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

In a cruel twist of fate, the caps were the cause, not the solution.

What does that say for helmets?

Does that mean there's a correlation between riding experience and baldness? If so, I'm out, you guys enjoy bikes I'll go surfing or something with my luscious mane grown specifically for the purpose.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Finger Prince posted:

The best part about being bald is all that money you used to spend on haircuts and hair products you can now spend on hats!

I swear to god if you wear that poo poo indoors you're worse than a trike rider.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I swear to god if you wear that poo poo indoors you're worse than a trike rider.

It's cool, it's a modular!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Read: traction alopecia

Sorry guys

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
The Dakar Rally continues with stage nine!

Only three more stages left and Ricky Brabec has a 21 minute lead on Quintanilla in second and ~27 on Toby Price. It is 100% Brabec's to lose (or, you know, Honda's... I know it's weird everyone, but in Dakar Honda has a long and storied history of screwing over their riders with stupid race management decisions and bikes that either catch fire or mysteriously stop working and it's already happened once to Brabec's teammate this year - sounded like his top end just melted) and as he came in fourth on stage nine, behind Price and Quintanilla it will be awfully difficult for them to claw back much of that time tomorrow.

Let's take a brief digression to walk down history lane to 2017 to talk about Honda screwing up again. Not by making a bike that spontaneously combusts, but by failing to understand the rules. Rules that everyone else understood. Rules that had not changed for many years. Rules that were not complicated. Riding a lighter motorcycle off road is easier. Just take this as given. It's also easier to ride on sand when your weight is distributed more toward the back. But because of the shape and size of bikes, they often have fuel tanks up front. Also, fuel has a weight. So, you want the minimum amount of fuel you need to comfortable get from the start to wherever the next refueling station is. Remember earlier when we talked about how there are liaisons and specials? On the liaison portion of a day you can do whatever the gently caress you want. In fact, you can stop at McDonald's and get تشيز برجر وبطاطا كبيرة if you want (like dakar-leader casey currie did :911:).

You just have a minimum time to complete a liaison. The minimum is set to make sure you aren't doing 100mph on the public roads and there is a time penalty for arriving too early. The maximum is set super duper high and you would have to be broken down to hit it and even then. Anyway, that's the liaison. On the special stage, you cannot stop for cheeseburgers. Or for gasoline. There are specific refueling stations within each special stage that you can stop at. I posted some video from one earlier. Just random stops in the desert with gas. But, what if your special stage has to go through a village? You can't have motorcycles and cars and trucks going all out through a village. People will definitely die. So you setup a neutralization area. That's an area that's speed limited and if you go too fast you get a speeding penalty (Toby Price has a two minute penalty for speeding in one of these on stage one). Your GPS beeps at you if you start to go too fast and then beeps more and more angrily as you get closer to breaking the speed limit. You've been reading for a bit so I'll get to the key point.

NEUTRALIZATION IS STILL SPECIAL.

Everyone knows this. I know this and I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Honda did not know this. So there was a short neutralization for a little town the special stage was going through and Honda directed their riders to go fill up at the gas station. They almost certainly scouted the station ahead of time and had their guys get less gas at the beginning so the riding was easier for the first half (1/3? I forget how much) of the stage and then had them fill up at the gas station that was very nicely just 100ft down the road from the course in the neutralization. In full view of their competitors. Who knew that you cannot receive outside assistance on a special. Including stopping at the gas station. In fact, Honda was so dumb about it that the ASO felt bad for them and only gave them a one hour penalty, despite many folks clamoring for a three hour penalty (or more). The ASO is very french and as a general rule (that is super frustrating) if you are french that is wonderful and things are little misunderstandings, but if you are not french then small things become impossibilities and you are an idiot for not having read the rulebook in french. Except for here. Because what Honda did was so dumb. Honda was so dumb that they made an organization that is renowned for being a dick to you if you're not french feel sorry for them and only give their riders a one hour penalty. In case you're curious, the traditional way this is done is that someone hides a fuel tank behind a shed and tells the rider where to find it and the rider zips behind the shed, fills up and rides on and noone is the wiser. Because, while I'm forgetting the exact phrasing, you're allowed to use things from the land to help your race. So no outside assistance when racing but if you find some baling wire50 gallons of race gas on the ground go ahead and use it to wire your muffler back onstrategically refill your tank. That's how you cheat.

There was some really nice pictures from yesterday too. This one is the best though. Seated, left to right, Nacho (JOSE IGNACIO CORNEJO FLORIMO), Brabec, Walkner, Luciano Benevides, Shorty, some random dude's leg showing the pee tube, and then front and center, Toby Price. Official Dakar instagram caption: "Draw me like one of your French girls 💁‍♀️ #Dakar2020⁣"

The other pictures are good too though.

I hope he just rides up that little hill and jumps the ridge.

This reminds me a little bit of the American southwest.

This does not.

I want to ride this so much.

Laia is still better at riding than you are. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uej5yXP16G0

This is 100% the kind of crash that I would do. See something, slam on the brakes when you can't figure out what's going on, then realize you need to accelerate just as you realize that your forks are compressed and it's all too late.
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=506024663360585

This is 100% how I would like to ride.
https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1217025265454460928

How three wheelers are made.
https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1217100306351296512

Engineering imitating nature. Beautiful.
https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1217077657013063682

Spelled Kamaz style.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

every year it pisses me off how lovely the television coverage of this event is

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

builds character posted:

an organization that is renowned for being a dick to you if you're not french

France?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Quebec too, but they'll also do it if you're French and not Catholic.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Truks! :hmmorks:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Biks, bugges, truks, quds- wait

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

right arm posted:

every year it pisses me off how lovely the television coverage of this event is

yeah, it's really too bad. I think there would be a real following if the ASO either permitted any recordings from competitors, or let anyone else make a broadcast (redbulls is a start but they don't have stage footage!). It's such a good race and there's so much you can dig through. If you can't make entertainment out of, just for example, Lyndon Poskitt going from riding crazy terrain to taking a poo to breaking down crying on the side of the road because he's just exhausted then I don't even know. Crazy rivalries and all the tricks people try to win. Nice history but not too much of it. Something for everyone too with bikes, quads, sxs, cars and trucks. Racers from all over the world.

oui?

Mister Speaker posted:

Quebec too, but they'll also do it if you're French and not Catholic.

I actually did a race in rural quebec north of three rivers and everyone was super nice to me. But only once they realized I was american and not a canadian who just didn't speak french.

I did go to a restuarant and try to order and when the waitress realized I couldn't speak french she just shrugged and walked away. It worked out OK because I was hungry and when she came by I gesticulated wildly while pointing at the menu but it was pretty cold.

except they're all russian instead of cockney.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

yeah, it's really too bad. I think there would be a real following if the ASO either permitted any recordings from competitors, or let anyone else make a broadcast (redbulls is a start but they don't have stage footage!). It's such a good race and there's so much you can dig through. If you can't make entertainment out of, just for example, Lyndon Poskitt going from riding crazy terrain to taking a poo to breaking down crying on the side of the road because he's just exhausted then I don't even know. Crazy rivalries and all the tricks people try to win. Nice history but not too much of it. Something for everyone too with bikes, quads, sxs, cars and trucks. Racers from all over the world.

I want to thank you for getting me on to this stuff, watching all the background videos and LP I find it crazy it isn't hugely popular like motoGP; it has a similar combination of nerdy technical/tactical depth + insane talent + melodrama.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

I want to thank you for getting me on to this stuff, watching all the background videos and LP I find it crazy it isn't hugely popular like motoGP; it has a similar combination of nerdy technical/tactical depth + insane talent + melodrama.

Yessssssss!

It is, right? I also find it confusing and I think a lot of it is just how strict the ASO is on its media. None of the riders can have gopros. They only give eurosport their stuff, they don't seem aggressive about getting it anywhere else and they're only putting out a half hour of it a day.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

builds character posted:

I did go to a restuarant and try to order and when the waitress realized I couldn't speak french she just shrugged and walked away. It worked out OK because I was hungry and when she came by I gesticulated wildly while pointing at the menu but it was pretty cold.

Fwiw I went to Paris and the only things i know were bonjour, au revoir and that i cant speak french. I got pretty good service pretty much by saying bonjour everywhere i went :downs: I really was expecting rude and bad service but i think thats just dumb over exaggeration.

I really want to go back to France on a motorcycle, just going to stay away from the cities. Traffic in Paris seemed insane to me.

And nthing the wish for better coverage of Dakar, The posts in this forum have been great thanks! I just wish they had more coverage than handful videos on YouTube .

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My experience with french speakers (in France and in Quebec) is that they are usually very gracious and forgiving if you make at least some effort to speak french. Say bonjour, try to make your request, je veux deux saucisses s'il vous plaît, and they'll nearly always kindly help you out and/or switch to english.

I think the stereotype of french people being rude comes entirely from dumbass american/british tourists walking into a store and blurting out something in english and expecting a response. That kind of attitude would make anyone snooty.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

My experience with french speakers (in France and in Quebec) is that they are usually very gracious and forgiving if you make at least some effort to speak french.

That's exactly my experience in Montreal

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I ever go to Montreal or Quebec City my long experience with Canadian cereal boxes will mean I'll have no problem obtaining riboflavin and a free prize

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
We're getting closer to the first American Dakar winner!

Stage ten is in the books with a one-two finish by Joan "bangbang" Barreda Bort and Ricky Brabec. This is a marathon stage and it ended up getting curtailed after WP4 (still 2h11m stage for JBB) because of helicopter reasons. Helicopters are what lets the rally go. They have photographers but, more importantly, the medical folks. It's a little unclear to me if it was because of wind

or because the stage was very long and there were so many injuries along the length of the course. As you'll see below, there were a few issues.

I mentioned the marathon stage. But what is a marathon stage? The short answer is you don't get assistance from your crew that night before the next stage and as a result you can only swap out parts you brought with you or from other bikes (or from your support truck that's also racing...). Often, factory teams will have a rider intentionally riding slow to preserve their tires for the fastest riders the following day. Plus, slumber party!
https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1217456150876000257

Tomorrow, Ricky Brabec will open up second behind JBB with Price 4th and Quintanilla 9th. Sadly for KTM, Quintanilla is now ~26minutes back and Price at 28.5 back (with JBB in third 27m back). At this point Brabec or Honda really has to screw up to lose. But, you know, see my earlier post about Honda's dakar hijinks. What's different this year? They hired a couple of ex-KTM guys to run the team. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. Now if only they can build a bike that doesn't blow up they could have had a clean sweep (remember that Kevin Benavides's top end melted on stage).

Toby Price is still pretty good though.
https://twitter.com/dakar/status/1217350046192164864

This rider needs the t-shirt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCoRK_2VetI

If only you were a truck or a bike.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-P3ZssNx-k

I used to do this as a kid too. Apparently they kicked out the window, put some goggles on and kept going.
https://twitter.com/DannyFChen/status/1217349817455857664

These guys did not... although they did manage to clear out of the landing zone before calling the helicopter.
https://twitter.com/alfahem989/status/1217345574963499008

Another angle. Bill's one of the US's dakar finishers and he runs a class before sandblast every year that is well worth taking.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10222512144298945&id=1430450718

I bet it was awesome before they landed though.

From stage 9, but a reminder this is a good channel. They just post a day late for my posts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI8RCY5ioUQ

And here's a pretty good photographer. Worth clicking through and looking at the pictures.

Here's the other American who's in the running to win Dakar! In the sxs category. But still! Hopefully Ricky finishes so we can say the first american to win it did it on a motorcycle. Then Casey Currie wins it too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRJcaSKL7rA

This little part of the stage next to the cliffs from stage 9 is just spectacular.

Not stage 10 (RIP) but still a great picture.

Want to ride this so much too.

builds character fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 15, 2020

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
my stage leader is also named Bort

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

AMISH FRIED PIES posted:

my stage leader is also named Bort

probably more elegant in the original spanish. el bort.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Supplemental Dune Pictures

This is a chinese car. Everything is made in china. Except the engine which is a chevy V8. The team brought their own cooks so that they didn't have to deal with gastrointestinal distress from unusual food. The car is modeled off of the first car made in china.

This is Jan Brabec, no relation to Ricky as far as I know. He was OK. Probably because sand is soft and fluffy. Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Did Honda cock up stage 11?