Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

The US foreign policy system (State Department, CIA, friendly allies, sympathetic billionaires, etc) sometimes shuffles money to people who say the things they want to hear, often through NGOs and think tanks.

*Shrug*

I know Bellingcat is a goon. Being a goon is not mutually exclusive with any of us getting paid (directly or via a third party) by the US for our work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

They’re funded in part by the National Endowment for Democracy, which itself gets a grant from Congress each year for democracy promotion. Bellingcat is not directly funded by the USG.
OK, that's pretty squinty.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crakkerjakk posted:

The US foreign policy system (State Department, CIA, friendly allies, sympathetic billionaires, etc) sometimes shuffles money to people who say the things they want to hear, often through NGOs and think tanks.

*Shrug*

I know Bellingcat is a goon. Being a goon is not mutually exclusive with any of us getting paid (directly or via a third party) by the US for our work.

What exactly what exactly is this supposed supposed to mean are you claiming that he might be a paid puppet account

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Is there any possibility that taking out the airliner was a sort of 'deniable' reprisal? Perhaps the US was evacuating sensitive personnel from Iran on that flight and Iran shot it down to send a more covert message, then trust that the Vincennes incident gives them coverage on the world stage?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
No, it isn't

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Schadenboner posted:

If Iran is really insistent on going down the :regd08: path at this point they need to be asserting it was an American CIA team with a Stinger/Redeye and screaming false flag, not Baghdad Bobbing it up pretending a missile did not hit the plane since there's, you know, a video of a missile hitting the goddamn plane?

Rookie mistake from a government that really should know better.

It’s pretty clear they are scrambling a bit.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

What exactly what exactly is this supposed supposed to mean are you claiming that he might be a paid puppet account

No, I assume he started out a goon, blew up posting things that agreed with what the US foreign policy establishment wanted out there, and then started getting paid (via third party).

It's almost never as sinister as "we will give you one milllllliiioooonnnn dollars to say a thing and create a whole new identity for you to do so," whether it's the US foreign policy establishment or just like national news media.

Instead, it's vastly more common to say "hey, here's a guy already toeing the party line on what we want put in the world, let's hire him on and give him the tools to reach a larger audience." Same reason you don't see flaming lefties in big corporate news rooms but mysteriously ABC and CNN head honchos think Jake Tapper should be talking to a national audience.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crakkerjakk posted:

No, I assume he started out a goon, blew up posting things that agreed with what the US foreign policy establishment wanted out there, and then started getting paid (via third party).

It's almost never as sinister as "we will give you one milllllliiioooonnnn dollars to say a thing and create a whole new identity for you to do so," whether it's the US foreign policy establishment or just like national news media.

Instead, it's vastly more common to say "hey, here's a guy already toeing the party line on what we want put in the world, let's hire him on and give him the tools to reach a larger audience." Same reason you don't see flaming lefties in big corporate news rooms but mysteriously ABC and CNN head honchos think Jake Tapper should be talking to a national audience.

It's worth pointing out that you are specifically making claims that the Russian Gru specifically tried to make about him in order to try to cover up for his investigation about them shooting down the Boeing I don't buy that in the least he's been pretty critical of US policy in many cases and he's been doing the open source intelligence stuff a lot longer than his bellingcat stuff originally did it as his brown Moses blog

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The neat thing about Bellingcat is they very neatly lay out their evidence/reasoning so you can simply look at it yourself and see if you agree or disagree with their conclusion. It's not like they're going: "our anonymous source tells us Iran shot down the airliner and also they ate some babies." The whole point is that anyone acting in good faith could take the same information from public sources and would come to more or less the same conclusion.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

its the military

the dumbest answer is usually the correct one

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
What "party line" stuff are you even referring to? Apart from the airliner.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Iran should say they refuse to apologize and then give the crew a medal

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't really see the need for conspiracy theories involving the Iran shootdown given that nobody is using it as a reason to say anything besides that war loving sucks and innocent people die when militaries make mistakes

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Iran should say they refuse to apologize and then give the crew a medal

I mean, that would certainly address some of the "Trump alienated goddamn everyone by dropping that Hellfire" situation but I'm not entirely sure this course of action would align with Iran's strategic interests?

:shrug:

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

my kinda ape posted:

The neat thing about Bellingcat is they very neatly lay out their evidence/reasoning so you can simply look at it yourself and see if you agree or disagree with their conclusion. It's not like they're going: "our anonymous source tells us Iran shot down the airliner and also they ate some babies." The whole point is that anyone acting in good faith could take the same information from public sources and would come to more or less the same conclusion.

I agree. Their stuff is completely reproducible and they even have articles cleanly explaining the process of many of their methods. While his conclusions may be incorrect, the evidence is out there for everything.

I think anyone claiming it’s a US mouth piece is reaching to discredit it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

its the military

"I bet you cant get a target lock on the next airliner."

"Pffff, you just push this button"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

its the military

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a23793250/belgium-f-16-accidentally-destroys-another-f-16/

Open source intelligence - if you show your work, as Bellingcat does - has much the same strengths and weaknesses as open source software. If there is bias, it's at minimum findable through peer review, and unlike some open source software projects, Bellingcat's work gets vast attention (and thus considerable public peer review).

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

its the military

A reminder:

quote:

NO ABU HAJAAR! THAT WAS THE ROCKET FOR PLANES!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

"I bet you cant get a target lock on the next airliner."

"Pffff, you just push this button"

im 99.8% sure it was either that or some officer making some group of privates track the plane "for practice" and running through the checklists and WHOOPS

tell me im loving wrong

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

stealie72 posted:

A reminder:

I was thinking the same thing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

im 99.8% sure it was either that or some officer making some group of privates track the plane "for practice" and running through the checklists and WHOOPS

tell me im loving wrong

That’s how the USN shot a... Greek (?) frigate right ?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s how the USN shot a... Greek (?) frigate right ?

Turkish.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

didnt

even

fuckin

know that

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
All militaries are chock full of the dumbest motherfuckers on earth, so the rule of thumb whenever any of them are involved is to blame incompetence before malice.

Granted, there are exceptions, generally when race is involved.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
The D&D and C-spam hate for Brown Moses is really incredible. Whenever the topic comes up there are people crawling out of the woodwork that loving despise the guy.

I think the work they do is really interesting, it’s true you can’t take money off someone without some sort of debt or understanding but Bellingcat doesn’t seem to be state propaganda yet.

Edit- though of course these are the same folks that petition to get this forum shut down on the regular because they have a fixed idea it’s full of war mongers and chuds despite never checking for themselves.

Abongination fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 11, 2020

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wwC9RTdB1I

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Abongination posted:

The D&D and C-spam hate for Brown Moses is really incredible.

They're just angry that an unemployed goon on the couch totally revolutionized open source intelligence.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Smiling Jack posted:

They're just angry that an unemployed goon on the couch totally revolutionized open source intelligence.

PSL meetings for sure.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Abongination posted:

The D&D and C-spam hate
From what I can tell, those have both devolved into a disjointed series of Struggle Sessions with the target set on random and the internal dynamics of a flock of starlings.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Crakkerjakk posted:

*Shrug*

How does the Dutch National Postcode Lottery fit in all of this?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/MikeBeauvais/status/1215073526736195585

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

whaaaaat a rush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNCChG2RbDY

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

There has been 2, 6.0+ earthquakes; 5, 5.0+ earthquakes and, 4, 4.0+ earthquakes from 6 January until today.

Edit: My family is still ok.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oh my god

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

im glad your family is ok

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

ElMaligno posted:

There has been 2, 6.0+ earthquakes; 5, 5.0+ earthquakes and, 4, 4.0+ earthquakes from 6 January until today.

Edit: My family is still ok.

Man I really hope this isn't building up to anything. Hope your family (and everyone else on the island) stays safe.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

A destroyer/cruiser with a fully manned CIC and commanded by an O-5/6 illegally entering Iranian waters and shooting a codes-broadcasting airliner is objectively loving dumber than some 2-4 man SHORAD crew screwing up. And their bodycount was higher to boot.

Illegally entering Iranian waters (to chase a gunboat that allegedly fired on a US helicopter crew) makes them more likely to think they're going to be attacked not less (wash with Iran launching missiles), and the Ukrainian flight was also squawking mode 3 so the codes broadcasting is a wash on relative stupidity (and not really notable if we're talking about airline shootdown incidents because AFAIK all such historic incidents involved a code broadcasting plane.

So with what's left you have one dipshit destroyer shooting an inbound airliner that's originating out of hostile airspace and flying at them, who at least tried to waive it off on both military and civilian emergency channels.

Competing with a dipshit Iranian crew that shot their own airliner taking off from their own airport and flying away from them. The loving thing hadn't even appreciably deviated from it's take-off radial yet and what little deviation it had was because it was starting a slow turn away from where the missile was launched. They had deviated from the runway radial of exactly 289 ~30 seconds before the transponder goes dark, it barely made it off the runway of their own airport before they pasted it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Lou Takki posted:

LOL obviously the russians had a backdoor into their fire control system and Putin decided to spice things up with a little bit of murder.

e: Really though you're right it seems absolutely insane to willingly fire on a jet airliner but it's hard to finish that sentence without "1988" flashing in bold letters in my mind.

MA-Horus posted:

I'm trying not to think all tinfoil hatty like that...but man would it ever be just like trump;

"Mr president, we have secured a backdoor attack into the Iranian air defense network. We can take control of their launchers at any time".
"GOOD SHOOT DOWN A PLANE AND WE CAN BLAME IRAN FOR IT *snifffffff*"

There's no way, right?

https://youtu.be/-f2NVHInoUc?t=13

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Jarmak posted:

Illegally entering Iranian waters (to chase a gunboat that allegedly fired on a US helicopter crew) makes them more likely to think they're going to be attacked not less (wash with Iran launching missiles), and the Ukrainian flight was also squawking mode 3 so the codes broadcasting is a wash on relative stupidity (and not really notable if we're talking about airline shootdown incidents because AFAIK all such historic incidents involved a code broadcasting plane.

So with what's left you have one dipshit destroyer shooting an inbound airliner that's originating out of hostile airspace and flying at them, who at least tried to waive it off on both military and civilian emergency channels.

Competing with a dipshit Iranian crew that shot their own airliner taking off from their own airport and flying away from them. The loving thing hadn't even appreciably deviated from it's take-off radial yet and what little deviation it had was because it was starting a slow turn away from where the missile was launched. They had deviated from the runway radial of exactly 289 ~30 seconds before the transponder goes dark, it barely made it off the runway of their own airport before they pasted it.

Dude, you’re pro-USA blind on this one. The cruiser illegally entering Iranian TTW and then shooting down an airliner doesn’t get to excuse its massive CIC fuckup. And describing the airliner as “flying at” the Vincennes is such utter bullshit charged language. An airliner inside a civil corridor, squawking civil codes, climbing on an approved flight path, which happens to pass over a cruiser which is busy violating Iranian waters at the O-6’s orders, is not “flying at” the cruiser.

A SHORAD crew loving up and shooting down the Ukrainian airliner is Very loving Bad and should not have occurred and should be fully accounted for.

But on decision cycle, timeline, senior leadership involvement (as far as we know), range, expected threat, and loss of innocent human life, the Vincennes incident is objectively far loving stupider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

Dude, you’re pro-USA blind on this one. The cruiser illegally entering Iranian TTW and then shooting down an airliner doesn’t get to excuse its massive CIC fuckup. And describing the airliner as “flying at” the Vincennes is such utter bullshit charged language. An airliner inside a civil corridor, squawking civil codes, climbing on an approved flight path, which happens to pass over a cruiser which is busy violating Iranian waters at the O-6’s orders, is not “flying at” the cruiser.

A SHORAD crew loving up and shooting down the Ukrainian airliner is Very loving Bad and should not have occurred and should be fully accounted for.

But on decision cycle, timeline, senior leadership involvement (as far as we know), range, expected threat, and loss of innocent human life, the Vincennes incident is objectively far loving stupider.

It was flying in the direction of the destroyer, there's nothing loaded about that, shooting an airliner flying away from you is far far dumber than an airliner flying toward you.

There's no level of rank or decision cycle that trumps shooting an airliner in the process of taking off from your own goddamn airport. The origination point of the missile is closer to the airport than where the plane was shot. They watched it takeoff, it was the sixth flight that night (second within 15 minutes) on that exact azimuth.