Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

OwlFancier posted:

I mean a game where everyone's in space but only because 90% of the population got obliterated by rogue AI's when earth was rendered uninhabitable and now the survivors are all in wild transhuman bodies and have to deal with the existential horror of being theoretically immortal and/or accidentally cloned through backup copies of their persona and also potentially consigned to a hell existence as a disembodied consciousness because the space capitalist parts of the solar system demand artificial restriction of the supply of robobodies and the space anarchists don't have the capacity to produce endless numbers of them. That seems extremely on brand for UKMT.

I too liked Soma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

The only parts of that I am familiar with are buffy and angel, alas.

You should watch Firefly it's pretty good

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

sebzilla posted:

It's pretty average.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

its not as good as the mandalorian

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the only good thing Joss Whedon's ever done is The Cabin in the Woods don't @ me

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Ratjaculation posted:

its not as good as the mandalorian

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
firefly only got one series because it sucked

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling
SPIRE should be your rpg for a game of revolutionary hope and violence

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
DnD for Leninists. Fiasco for Stalinists.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebzilla posted:

Firefly is really loving terrible and the poster child for cultural co-option.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Continuity RCP posted:

firefly only got one series because it sucked

* half a series

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I liked firefly the first time I watched it, have tried to watch through it twice again since and never managed it. It's not very good, really.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
joss whedon has made exactly 1 thing that wasn't awful and i don't really feel like ever watching buffy again in case it turns out that was also awful

he is also apparentyl a huge sex pest

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Jose posted:

joss whedon has made exactly 1 thing that wasn't awful and i don't really feel like ever watching buffy again in case it turns out that was also awful

Whedons work is a great example of why simply making women physically, intellectual or sexually dominant isn't inherently feminist.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Jose posted:

Firefly has a lot of feet shots, so he's on par with Tarantino.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One thing I like about tarantino is that you learn he's a foot guy, then you see a picture of him, or vice versa, and you get a momentary feeling like you've tapped into some universal knowledge.

I dunno why but he's now my platonic ideal of what a foot guy looks like despite not thinking that was a thing that had a platonic ideal until I had both of those pieces of information in my head.

Also kill bill is a good film imo I liked it a lot as a kid even if I didn't understand it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 11, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, Whedon's work isn't something you can really go back to once you get where he's coming from with his female characters. Way too much weird and uncomfortable there.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Speaking of weird sexual things, the new podcast's up.

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1208394261445664768?s=19

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

One thing I like about tarantino is that you learn he's a foot guy, then you see a picture of him, or vice versa, and you get a momentary feeling like you've tapped into some universal knowledge.

I dunno why but he's now my platonic ideal of what a foot guy looks like despite not thinking that was a thing that had a platonic ideal until I had both of those pieces of information in my head.

Also kill bill is a good film imo I liked it a lot as a kid even if I didn't understand it.

It might be that his face is optimistically attempting to creep downwards from his skull.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Speaking of weird sexual things, the new podcast's up.

Just to clarify this ep is the post-election ep from December where some of us thought about what's next. Praxiscast will be up and running this weekend though with two separate recordings scheduled for Sunday to be released at a time when David has finished cutting out all my mentions of pickled onion monster munch.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Rarity posted:

David has finished cutting out all my mentions of pickled onion monster munch.

Pease don't deny us the content we crave

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Pease don't deny us the content we crave

My voice is being silenced, this is an attack on my free speech

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jose posted:

I detest Buffy.
I once saw an episode where the world was going to end, hell going to take over, cats and dogs, etc, and one of the main stars was complaining they couldn't get a date for some event like a prom.
And I think this was just after someone unimportant died in front of them.
And noped the gently caress out of seeing it ever again.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Angel was *slightly* better in its later seasons, but I can think of two episodes of Buffy that stand out: the silent episode and the musical one

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

feedmegin posted:

MEATY GOONS

I am moving to London (Barking) this/next month. As part of my reconnaissance I will be in London next Saturday the 18th; myself and some goon cronies will be meeting up at this place at 2pm for beers and chat and possibly arranging a regular D&D or other roleplaying game once I've moved; any comrades from this thread who want to meet goons in that scary real life thing are welcome to come along too.

I can assure you that definitely nobody was killed, harvested for their organs and eaten the last time I arranged a goonmeet :wotwot:

Don't think I can do next weekend (MTG prerelease) but I'm moving to Ilford in the next few months and would be up for regular D&D etc.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Buffy was good, actually.

Also it may be basic of my but so was Firefly.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I like Serenity but I dunno if I could rewatch Firefly :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

To be clear I've watched Firefly through like, twice. It's not like Babylon 5 where I can watch it annually and love it every time or something, and I don't stan it as the greatest show never completed. But... it's fun enough and I don't think we'd have been worse off if it had got a few seasons before they knifed it :shrug:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

IIRC they said that the movie (Serenity) completed the whole of the planned story line for the however many seasons they were going to originally make... so I don't get why they'd be bringing it back.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

WhatEvil posted:

IIRC they said that the movie (Serenity) completed the whole of the planned story line for the however many seasons they were going to originally make... so I don't get why they'd be bringing it back.

Capitalism is bad for the creative arts, as showcased by the sheer homogeneity of Hollywood films at this point. Better to revive something from 15 years ago than take a risk on something new.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I liked Firefly a lot, why do goons gotta ruin everything

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

feedmegin posted:

MEATY GOONS

I am moving to London (Barking)

Yeah you must be! :dadjoke:

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Judge Tesla posted:

Firefly has a lot of feet shots, so he's on par with Tarantino.

Dont forget the fuckdoll assasin show.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Capitalism is bad for the creative arts, as showcased by the sheer homogeneity of Hollywood films at this point. Better to revive something from 15 years ago than take a risk on something new.
There's also the other side of it, ruthlessly crushing any and all unauthorized derivative works. This is even worse IMO.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

There's also the other side of it, ruthlessly crushing any and all unauthorized derivative works. This is even worse IMO.

It gets doubly bad when you have platforms like youtube that control a whole medium in itself and will crush smaller content creators on behalf of rich megacorps even if the smaller party never violated any copyright in the first place.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So apparently Angela Rayner has been blocking people on twitter for asking her not to seek further nominations

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/geraintgriffith/status/1215914033661956099?s=19

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It belongs in a museum!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Maugrim posted:

I liked Firefly a lot, why do goons gotta ruin everything

For the dame reason they hate on Star Wars or anything else popular.
To be cool and edgy.

They are not.

Firefly is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Something that I learned in the BSS movie thread which is relevant to this discussion.

Supposedly Wheadon got Dollhouse greenlit by saying to Fox.
"Hey you know that show that people like call Terminator: The Sara Connor Chronicles?
I can do that but cheaper. I call it Dollhouse."

They also think he did that before hand but with
"Hey you know that show that people like call Dark Angel?
I can do that but cheaper. I call it Firefly."