Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cojawfee posted:

Have you tried Yoot Tower? It seemed to be mostly the same.

Never been able to find a copy that worked. :(

16 months wasn’t enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Humerus posted:

And just remember that a lot of people (in the US anyway) fight to prevent helmet laws from passing.

Americans are very stupid, and feel that it's their right to have their brains splatted on concrete, because PPE is for pussies

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Some good OSHA content here from Popular Mechanics:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a30460577/homemade-gas-station/

"Building a Homemade Gas Station Is a Terrible Idea"

Looks like they were dispensing it with a garden hose.

Do farms still have above-ground gas tanks like this?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah, reminds me of this:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/richmond-cyclists-accident-1.3839054

19-year-old in a Lexus SUV comes screaming around a blind corner on a popular cycling route and plows into a peloton of six cyclists. One dead, two severely injured.

The dude ended up getting a slap on the wrist.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/driver-who-killed-richmond-cyclist-given-one-year-ban-1-800-fine-1.23304890

Bonus: he posted a fake-gangster photo shoot to his instagram right before his court appearance, complete with fake teardrop tats.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/dead-richmond-cyclists-parents-incredibly-shaken-by-tattoo-teardrops-photo

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Everytime I think about getting a bike, I see a video like this and it reminds me that it's not just myself that could kill me, but all those morons in cars.

There's a helmet cam death video on YT (biker's mum gave police permission to release it) and the biker's final breath sound haunts me still.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Slanderer posted:

Do farms still have above-ground gas tanks like this?

Sounds like it.

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/PPP/PPP-73.pdf

But those are farms, where the tank will at worst destroy your own farm buildings. This was someone's backyard in the city.

I was at some people's house in Detroit, which they got cheap because the side of the house was missing when they bought.

The reason for this was that the house three doors down had an illegal gas hookup, and the eventual explosion took out the next three houses in each direction. Miraculously the person in the ground zero house got blown out the window and survived with only minor injuries. I believe the other houses were unoccupied.

Apparently the dude who set up the illegal hookup showed up on their doorstep one day and offered to do the same for them...

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Sounds like it.

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/PPP/PPP-73.pdf

But those are farms, where the tank will at worst destroy your own farm buildings. This was someone's backyard in the city.
Also, these have a tendency to be for diesel, which is a hell of a lot more stable and less kaboomy than gasoline.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shut up Meg posted:

Everytime I think about getting a bike, I see a video like this and it reminds me that it's not just myself that could kill me, but all those morons in cars.

There's a helmet cam death video on YT (biker's mum gave police permission to release it) and the biker's final breath sound haunts me still.

I still want a bike, but only for short commutes or going into the city. I currently live about 6.5 miles from work and 20 miles from the nearest major city, both accessible by suburban back roads and standard roads through urban sprawl rather than needing to go on the interstate, so having something small and inexpensive would be suitable for most of my driving around with a minimum of dangerous traffic to deal with.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Azathoth posted:

About once a year I see a cropduster doing something so batshit insane looking that I make a point to look for smoke and/or the plane coming back up for another pass.

Honestly its like base jumping out a 8 story window, only less safe.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

chitoryu12 posted:

I still want a bike, but only for short commutes or going into the city. I currently live about 6.5 miles from work and 20 miles from the nearest major city, both accessible by suburban back roads and standard roads through urban sprawl rather than needing to go on the interstate, so having something small and inexpensive would be suitable for most of my driving around with a minimum of dangerous traffic to deal with.

This should be the point where I post a compilation video of bikers getting wiped out in suburban back roads and urban sprawl, cause I like you and don't want you to die.

However, that's too depressing, so have motorcycle chase video instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muAPJiMho2Y&t=34s

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

XeeD posted:

Also, these have a tendency to be for diesel, which is a hell of a lot more stable and less kaboomy than gasoline.

Yeah, those tanks are still all over the place, and most will have diesel, though it's not unknown for one to have regular unleaded.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/haph5X2.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Qantas Fokker 100 flying up to Newman in Western Australia got into some serious wind and rain, and slid off the end of the runway.

https://twitter.com/airplusnews_EN/status/1215269787225509892?s=19

No injuries, just a lot of soaked FIFO workers.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Lucky Fokkers.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

chitoryu12 posted:

The interstate is safer. The speeds are higher, but (generally) all the traffic is moving in the same direction with dividers and clear merging lanes. No sudden stops at lights or cars entering from side streets.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Shut up Meg posted:

Training, ABS, highly visible and protective equipment, and riding while sober and alert will go an extremely long way towards keeping you safe. Obviously the risk of riding a motorcycle is higher than driving a car, but some folks act like it's a death sentence when you step on one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Is ABS fairly standard now?

(it was not ten years ago when I go my bike)

((anyone want a bike with a busted engine?))

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Uthor posted:

Is ABS fairly standard now?

(it was not ten years ago when I go my bike)

((anyone want a bike with a busted engine?))

Its mandatory in Europe on new models AFAIK, but in the US it's pretty uncommon and we have all these assholes going "I dont need ABS on my bike because I know how to brake :smug:", in fact many people think they can brake better than ABS even in street conditions.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

“My finger is the safety”

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

"If I have to stop fast, I'll just lay 'er down."

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Bad Munki posted:

“My finger is the safety”

I've oft wondered what would happen in the real world if someone did that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

OctaMurk posted:

Its mandatory in Europe on new models AFAIK, but in the US it's pretty uncommon and we have all these assholes going "I dont need ABS on my bike because I know how to brake :smug:", in fact many people think they can brake better than ABS even in street conditions.

ABS only really improves wet performance. No ABS (for cars at least) is better with someone who can properly threshold brake. But that's with a professional driver that knows how to drive a course or has done the test enough times that the amount of brake force is ingrained in their brain. So some idiot probably can outbrake ABS in normal conditions on a road they drive a lot, but they will probably lock the brakes if they need to do an emergency stop.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

OctaMurk posted:

Training, ABS, highly visible and protective equipment, and riding while sober and alert will go an extremely long way towards keeping you safe. Obviously the risk of riding a motorcycle is higher than driving a car, but some folks act like it's a death sentence when you step on one.

My aunt worked her whole life as a injury attorney specializing in auto accidents. She told me when I was a wee lad "Do drugs, drink alcohol, party, be a moron, but never ever ever ride a motorcycle". She has endless stories of people thinking as you do, that it won't happen to them. Everyone is the same, and they always wish they could advise themselves against it prior to partial/total paralysis due to spine injury/brain damage. Death sentence? Modern medicine is great at keeping people alive. It's not necessarily great at making sure you are alive with all of your facilities intact, although advancements are happening! A motorcycle accident is always serious, and if you are tossed at speed it's highly likely you end up with some sort of permanent injury. Ever met someone who had a traumatic brain injury? It's usually a sobering event. Having a metal box around you that's engineered to keep you from serious harm goes a lot longer ways than hoping everyone else on the road is paying attention, in this goon's humble opinion. Also, statistically you have something like a 6x higher chance of a fatality and 4x higher chance of serious injury in an accident.

I have had several motorcycle riders as friends over the years. When I was 22, my friend from highschool was hit by a drunk driver and killed while wearing all the PPE, doing everything right. Others have had varying experiences, and I never judge them because hey, you have every right to risk your life for fun. But don't act like it's anything but that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shut up Meg posted:

I've oft wondered what would happen in the real world if someone did that.

With guns? Depends. If it’s a pistol most holsters cover the trigger so nothing can snag it, so it’s technically safe as long as you don’t do a Tex Grebner. With a rifle? Hope you’re not walking through a jungle getting stuck on branches and vines.

I play airsoft and I do keep the safety off on my pistols on the field, as I use safe holsters and the consequences of accidentally shooting someone with an airsoft pistol are annoyance rather than murder.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

chitoryu12 posted:

With guns? Depends. If it’s a pistol most holsters cover the trigger so nothing can snag it, so it’s technically safe as long as you don’t do a Tex Grebner. With a rifle? Hope you’re not walking through a jungle getting stuck on branches and vines.

Specifically this scene and what the captain would do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb5quj6ZhJM

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 11, 2020

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Memento posted:

Qantas Fokker 100 flying up to Newman in Western Australia got into some serious wind and rain, and slid off the end of the runway.

https://twitter.com/airplusnews_EN/status/1215269787225509892?s=19

No injuries, just a lot of soaked FIFO workers.

In the Netherlands we call a dirty plane like that a "modder Fokker".

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shut up Meg posted:

Depends on the branch difference and branches involved. I think that was a Delta operator mocking a Ranger officer? There’s stories of SEALs having a regular officer try to chew them out for being out of regs (long hair, etc.) and basically telling them to gently caress off and complain to their direct superior.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Thank you, I appreciate the effort post
. . . in response to me saying that the risk of riding a motorcycle can be greatly reduced but will still be higher than driving a car.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://giant.gfycat.com/PlayfulBlondBlackbird.webm

This seems... not safe.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

How else are you suppose to summon the giant sand worms?

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

Reminds me of the navy video about Synthetic Line Snap Back, which I believe was posted either in this thread or the previous one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGH_GUbdTeQ

Edit: Only this is synthetic bumper snapback.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Omnikin posted:

Putting out a request for any great dramatic articles on OSHA disasters. I know I've read a few in this thread's history on the El Faro sinking, the Challenger disaster and the hurricane hunters plane in... Hugo? I believe.

I love those articles.

Piper Alpha; https://www.thechemicalengineer.com/features/piper-alpha-the-disaster-in-detail/

(that and Ocean Ranger are why I will never work on an oil rig)

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Shut up Meg posted:

However, that's too depressing, so have motorcycle chase video instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muAPJiMho2Y&t=34s
Have a pretty bonkers motorcycle chase from Finland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1vHwz8FVa8

Amazingly nobody gets hurt even though they re-enact everything from Isle of Man TT to motocross

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Shut up Meg posted:

Its been probably 18 years since I read the book but I thought this scene was pulled essentially verbatim from reality (as accurate as one can be without video of it happening live anyway).

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

My issue with motorcycles is that you can do everything right and still be killed instantly when some dipshit isn't paying attention.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

The guy just happened to have a security torx bit on him?

I didn't see this mentioned but I have several sets. They aren't hard to get.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
So one of my wife's colleagues now knows the magic words that'll get the triage nurses in the ER to drop everything and come to you immediately.

"Table saw"

Thats all his son needed to yell in the ER to get him seen ASAP. Triage nurse stopped in the middle of talking to another patient and came running. He didn't know how bad it was because as soon as the saw hit flesh he immediately ran into the house and wrapped it in a towel while telling his kid to grab the car keys. He thought he was proper hosed when he overheard one of the nurses say the words "partial amputation" over the phone.

Fortunately he always makes sure the saw is only sticking out of the table as much as it needs to, which is why this is going to be a few months of recovery and a few months of physio and odds are it's going to be at most a minor inconvenience, not a life changing event. He said he probably just had a momentary lapse of concentration.

Didn't even happen at work so he doesn't get comp.

If you're at all tired, distracted, whatever, don't run a loving table saw.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

I didn't see this mentioned but I have several sets. They aren't hard to get.

And you keep them with you in your car all the time?

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

And you keep them with you in your car all the time?

Yes. I have a flat drawer style toolbox that takes up the bed of my truck.
I know its unusual its just not that unusual. Tamper proof fasteners aren't going to actually keep people out of something. I guess it helps the company with liability by making it slightly harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

If you're at all tired, distracted, whatever, don't run a loving table saw.

The government should seize the SawStop patent, open the license, and make it mandatory for all new saws sold.