Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

codo27 posted:

Had 2 new high end workstations arrive for users. I cracked one open just out of curiosity, this thing has a hard drive in it? No SSD at all? Thats strange. I mention it to them and they confirm they were ordered with SSDs. I'm told apparently rather than buy them preinstalled, they ordered them separately.

Drives finally arrive today, I get 2 fancy m.2 drives. These computers, somehow, brand new i7 9700 machines have no m.2 slots. The instructions call for PCIe adapters to install them. They didn't send those. Why the gently caress do we have to deal with vendors at all? Why cant we just buy poo poo ourselves without an extra markup for no reason?
A good VAR winds up saving you money.

A bad one is a great way to waste it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

codo27 posted:

Had 2 new high end workstations arrive for users. I cracked one open just out of curiosity, this thing has a hard drive in it? No SSD at all? Thats strange. I mention it to them and they confirm they were ordered with SSDs. I'm told apparently rather than buy them preinstalled, they ordered them separately.

Drives finally arrive today, I get 2 fancy m.2 drives. These computers, somehow, brand new i7 9700 machines have no m.2 slots. The instructions call for PCIe adapters to install them. They didn't send those. Why the gently caress do we have to deal with vendors at all? Why cant we just buy poo poo ourselves without an extra markup for no reason?

The markup that people like Dell and HP will put on an SSD still winds me up, it's like the last thing they can rob you for. Moving from a 1TB laptop drive to a 256GB SSD was a £200 upgrade not that long ago, so it does make a lot of sense (if you're at the sort of company where it's possible) to just toss the included drive into a bin and put an SSD in yourself. The shithousery involved in making decisions about how to differentiate between the models is another thing - you have to bump up the range to get NVMe slots and that PC will cost 30% extra. It's getting better but it's only within the last year or so that Dell haven't been locking you out of speccing SSDs on the 3xxx series OptiPlex models.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Plastik posted:

They rode Dead Guy Ale to national success, and a lot of people are still asking how.

Without looking anything about this up, they kind of took a page from Sam Adams and figured you don't have to be the best craft beer if you can just be the craft beer available everywhere.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

They also had perfect timing for the craft beer expansion to everywhere that wasn't hip.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

taqueso posted:

They also had perfect timing for the craft beer expansion to everywhere that wasn't hip.

Yeah, I actually barely see them anywhere anymore, and nobody ever seems to talk about them, but they did their thing at exactly the right time to get away with it.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

codo27 posted:

Theoretically, using a vendor is supposed to make sure that you don't make boneheaded mistakes like that. In practice....

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

We have reached peak "ESL, rushed delivery, just send it":

quote:

Hi All,

Could the security team is ok(will give green signal) with the below <person> ideas? So that <person> team will send <app> extract and Data lake team will consume it.

Kindly confirm us or not?

Regards

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Security are gonna delay that one. Obvious phishing attack.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Sirs,

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I run into that so often when dealing with clients from the Philippines. Everyone is "Sir So-and-So". "Please escalate the ticket to Sir Woof", etc.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I swear to god if you escalate that ticket straight to me I'm gonna send it right back

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
"Woah we got multiple tickets coming in from this client there might be a major issue can I get your eyes on this? I sent you one."

Two. Two tickets came in. You gave me a corrupt profile ticket that the helpdesk knows how to fix.

We have a damned moron handling incoming tickets, and I can't wait for my boss to drop the hammer on splitting my team off so this dumbass can't send tickets to us directly anymore.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

hihifellow posted:

"Woah we got multiple tickets coming in from this client there might be a major issue can I get your eyes on this? I sent you one."

Two. Two tickets came in. You gave me a corrupt profile ticket that the helpdesk knows how to fix.

We have a damned moron handling incoming tickets, and I can't wait for my boss to drop the hammer on splitting my team off so this dumbass can't send tickets to us directly anymore.

I’m having flashbacks to the MSP I used to work at.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

DNS... Again?
gently caress, I bet it's DNS
It was DNS

Network team added a new DNS server to the pool, which decided to not respond reliably, at midnight.

Was working on that til 230am. And my phone started ringing again at 730 with remaining fallout.

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jan 14, 2020

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Assume DNS
I fucken knew it
Goddamn DNS

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DNS?
DNS‽
DNS!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Gonna drop this here without context for probably obvious work-related reasons, but TIL you can sign up for a service and install a plugin that makes your web browsing and email kosher.

http://www.enativ.com/about_en.aspx

It’s even certified by a rabbi.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Yay working in a hopital lol

I nope'd right the gently caress outta this one.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah that's off to the incinerator

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah that's off to the incinerator

Yeah, called her and basically said, lol you can keep it and dispose of it however you'd dispose of biohazard waste, IT doesn't want it back!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
:rip: Windows 7 2009-2019

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Entropic posted:

:cry:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yo patch your poo poo right the gently caress now, this windows CVE is a doozy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

spankmeister posted:

Yo patch your poo poo right the gently caress now, this windows CVE is a doozy.

Waiting for the patches to break a ton of other poo poo too, as is expected.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is Win7 support really ending completely or will there be something like the WinXP for ATMs long-term security fixes?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

You pay MS extra money for extended support.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Fool posted:

You pay MS extra money for extended support.

Or you omit that option so you can strong arm everyone to jump to 10. For all intent and purposes adding one year of security updates to 7 is useless, if the hardware/software can only run on win7 in 2020, upgrade or isolate the host.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Entropic posted:

One of my minions at work posted this in response to the RIP:

"I am sad, as per as I know this is best OS now it’s buried "

Followed by someone else posting a GIF of Donnie's ashes blowing back on the Dude while Walter says, "Good night, sweet prince."

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I seriously do not get some people’s attachment to specific OS versions.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

I seriously do not get some people’s attachment to specific OS versions.

Yeah, me neither. Except for Windows 2000.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I think XP & 7 stick out a tad more cause the versions before them were rough

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LethalGeek posted:

I'd say more because the versions *after* them were rough.

Windows 2000 was pretty well loved as far as I saw, with XP being made fun of as Fisher Price Win2K for a long time. Vista sucked until SP1 and 8 sucked until 8.1.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

For most people, the transition was from Me to XP, not 2000 to XP.

e: not people reading this thread, the general public

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

LethalGeek posted:

wolrah posted:

I'd say more because the versions *after* them were rough.

Probably both.

If you went from a poo poo version to a good version to a poo poo version, I don't think it is unreasonable to look back on the good version with affection.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In my experience most places the transition was from 98 to XP.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

LethalGeek posted:

And the versions after.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Speaking of Windows patching, anyone else's security teams having heartburn over this right now?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-fixes-windows-crypto-bug-reported-by-the-nsa/

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SlowBloke posted:

if the hardware/software can only run on win7 in 2020, upgrade or isolate the host.

I've done the PoC on an isolation project: Centos host running kvm\qemu, guest OS heavily firewalled, access to file shares via synchronized folders on the host OS. I figure for an XP system, there's a good chance that a modern system with an SSD and more RAM might actually be faster than the original box.

Our big problem is vendors that don't have a Win 10 (or 7 !) version of the software for, just to pick one example of 1300, three $2 million dollar mini MRI scanners. I say "mini", but I honestly think we might have to do some demo work to get these things out of the building when we do retire them.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Thanatosian posted:

And the versions after.

Nobody remembers Windows 8. As it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Windows 2000 was an NT 4.0 kernel, which served as the basis for the kernel that's still used today.
Windows 95/98(SE)/ME were using the Chicago kernel which was a toy of a kernel, designed by the Redmond team themselves- ie. not useful for anything other than as a demonstration of what not to do (and host to one of only three 90s-era just-in-time virtual machines I know of, namely the Berkeley Packet Filter, VMwares ESX hypervisor, and BigBlt in Windows 95/98).