Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
You are focusing on the current hot topic bad action and then as a result minimizing an even more egregious past fuckup.

Air defense is loving hard to do well. Everyone who does air defense for a living realizes you need small tactical units but they inherently carry more risk than a giant centralized machine like an O-6 led CG. Unless the O-6 is bad at his job and has an incompetent CIC crew.

The Vincennes defense you posted is basically this:

“Yeah, I am not sorry that I shot this puppy. You see, I was breaking into this home, so I was scared, so I shot the puppy because I thought the puppy was the homeowner.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

mlmp08 posted:

You are focusing on the current hot topic bad action and then as a result minimizing an even more egregious past fuckup.

Air defense is loving hard to do well. Everyone who does air defense for a living realizes you need small tactical units but they inherently carry more risk than a giant centralized machine like an O-6 led CG. Unless the O-6 is bad at his job and has an incompetent CIC crew.

“Yeah, I am not sorry that I shot this puppy. You see, I was breaking into this home, so I was scared, so I shot the puppy because I thought the puppy was the homeowner.”

You're conveniently leaving out a lot of details that would be very descriptive of the chaos at the time, e.g. the Vincennes picking up Code 2 freqs (which were picked up by the Italians as well as other American ships in the area) and the aircraft not responding to multiple warning on different channels.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
An ascending airliner does not look like an attacking F-14 on radar, period.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Except the Vincennes thought the airliner was descending because the targeting system had reassigned it's tracking number to a U.S. Navy jet which was, in fact, descending.

The whole incident was a massive confluence of human and technical errors.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Yeah, any rear end in a top hat butterbar idiot knows about codeswapping, which is extremely common at initial takeoff. It is true that maybe people didn’t know this PFC-level info in 1988, but it is extremely basic physics.

Also the CIC crew said it was descending when their system showed directly to them that it was not descending.

Another US ship ID’d the flight as commercial air, but the Vincennes crew hosed it up and shot anyway.

The US Navy officially declared it human error.

Mich has been done in the US to assuage ourselves of killing 290 innocents on flight 655. It’s mostly rah rah bullshit, but at least more quietly on the training and system design side, people took note. Quietly.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

Especially when it's literally in the process of taking off from your own civilian airport that your monitoring.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hey time out

I've got wholesome content on par with space-goatse

French biologists have discovered a heretofore unnoticed class of maybe-living things that look like coral polyps but are the size of viruses

married but discreet posted:

Anyone read this paper?
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2019.02376/full

What are these things? 4-20 armed starfish shaped thingies the size of a virus, carbon-oxygen-calcium-nitrogen composition, stained with nucleic acid dye but don't show up in metagenomics, can be killed by biocidal agents, apparently interact with bacteria. Show changes in abundance over time in cell free medium, although the data aren't that convincing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
dickwaving over who's airliner whoopsie was more justified is the biggest waste of time and mental energy imaginable, good lord

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

dickwaving over who's airliner whoopsie was more justified is the biggest waste of time and mental energy imaginable, good lord

Neither are justified, trying to handwaive away the egregiousness of the idiocy of this one by whatabouting a 30+ year old incident that isn't comparable is some Glenn Greenwald poo poo though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, any rear end in a top hat butterbar idiot knows about codeswapping, which is extremely common at initial takeoff. It is true that maybe people didn’t know this PFC-level info in 1988, but it is extremely basic physics.

Also the CIC crew said it was descending when their system showed directly to them that it was not descending.

Another US ship ID’d the flight as commercial air, but the Vincennes crew hosed it up and shot anyway.

The US Navy officially declared it human error.

Mich has been done in the US to assuage ourselves of killing 290 innocents on flight 655. It’s mostly rah rah bullshit, but at least more quietly on the training and system design side, people took note. Quietly.

Yes.
I have sat in CIC and I have sat air defense watch, and I know exactly how loving inept you have to be to make that mistake.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
"I knew he was a bad guy, except for that one time he did buisiness with me"

https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/status/1215446506565537793?s=20

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

CommieGIR posted:

deja loving vu

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

It's worth pointing out that you are specifically making claims that the Russian Gru specifically tried to make about him in order to try to cover up for his investigation about them shooting down the Boeing I don't buy that in the least he's been pretty critical of US policy in many cases and he's been doing the open source intelligence stuff a lot longer than his bellingcat stuff originally did it as his brown Moses blog

Like, back in the day, when the Soviets would respond to the US criticisms of their real human rights abuses with "and you lynch black people", they weren't wrong. They WERE commiting widespread human rights abuses, and so were we. We were trying to put the emphasis on their lovely behavior and they were trying to put the emphasis on our lovely behavior, all as part of lovely international power games.

And at the time us civil rights groups were very angry about the lynching as well.

Like sometimes various power blocks lie about what the other is doing, but it's usually far simpler for each side to point out the other's actual poo poo, because pretty much all great powers have an awful lot of poo poo they engage in.

And it's not too hard to say "gee, the reason a bunch of gulf countries, Pakistan, China, etc contribute to think tanks and NGOs is because they're trying to push Washington to do stuff that benefits them" and then follow that up with "and when the US does the same thing they have the same exact intentions."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CommieGIR posted:

:lol::lol::lol:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crakkerjakk posted:

Like, back in the day, when the Soviets would respond to the US criticisms of their real human rights abuses with "and you lynch black people", they weren't wrong. They WERE commiting widespread human rights abuses, and so were we. We were trying to put the emphasis on their lovely behavior and they were trying to put the emphasis on our lovely behavior, all as part of lovely international power games.

And at the time us civil rights groups were very angry about the lynching as well.

Like sometimes various power blocks lie about what the other is doing, but it's usually far simpler for each side to point out the other's actual poo poo, because pretty much all great powers have an awful lot of poo poo they engage in.

And it's not too hard to say "gee, the reason a bunch of gulf countries, Pakistan, China, etc contribute to think tanks and NGOs is because they're trying to push Washington to do stuff that benefits them" and then follow that up with "and when the US does the same thing they have the same exact intentions."

That has very little to do with Open Source Intelligence like Bellingcat, that gives you multiple EXTERNAL and verifiable sources provided by third parties. Its one thing to repeat propaganda, its another to give you all the tools and info to critique/fact check it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Guys please stop hating America and our brave holy warriors, Mike Pence is crying

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

That has very little to do with Open Source Intelligence like Bellingcat, that gives you multiple EXTERNAL and verifiable sources provided by third parties. Its one thing to repeat propaganda, its another to give you all the tools and info to critique/fact check it.

Again, I'm not saying the Iranians didn't shoot down this airliner (it's the simplest explanation) or that Russian seperatists didn't shoot down the airliner in Ukraine (seems amply documented). It's that Bellingcat tends to focus on the misdeeds of the geopolitical enemies of the US and it's allies instead of the misdeeds of the US and it's allies. That's why the US sends them money.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Crakkerjakk posted:

Again, I'm not saying the Iranians didn't shoot down this airliner (it's the simplest explanation) or that Russian seperatists didn't shoot down the airliner in Ukraine (seems amply documented). It's that Bellingcat tends to focus on the misdeeds of the geopolitical enemies of the US and it's allies instead of the misdeeds of the US and it's allies. That's why the US sends them money.

And water is wet

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

So the Vincennes was a Sea Cop?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

SimonCat posted:

So the Vincennes was a Sea Cop?

When you put it that way, Iran Air _was_ in possession of a scuba diving tank...

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Crakkerjakk posted:

Bellingcat has repeatedly investigated incidents and blamed the United States for the outcome.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena/2017/03/16/us-missile-remains-reportedly-recovered-from-site-of-aleppo-mosque-bombing/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Crakkerjakk posted:

See this:

Smiling Jack posted:

Bellingcat has repeatedly investigated incidents and blamed the United States for the outcome.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena/2017/03/16/us-missile-remains-reportedly-recovered-from-site-of-aleppo-mosque-bombing/

He regularly critiques and does Intel and Analysis of US stuff too.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Jarmak posted:

Neither are justified, trying to handwaive away the egregiousness of the idiocy of this one by whatabouting a 30+ year old incident that isn't comparable is some Glenn Greenwald poo poo though.

Vincennes made almost exactly the same series of errors as the Iranian crew except track direction, but they DID have the advantage of literally having the flight schedule which they were unable to read properly due to poor lighting. And they killed twice as many people.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Biden... good?

https://twitter.com/CleveWootson/status/1215834378619633666

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

shame on an IGA posted:

Hey time out

I've got wholesome content on par with space-goatse

French biologists have discovered a heretofore unnoticed class of maybe-living things that look like coral polyps but are the size of viruses

Everybody else apparently ignored this but I didn’t and it’s super cool so thank you

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Looks like Iran is admitting they hosed up:

https://twitter.com/farnazfassihi/status/1215841813644431361?s=20

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

LMAO

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Current event:

loving :lol: wear that probe like a badge of honor goon sir.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3910537&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post501548405

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Yes, but isn't Bellingcat a shill for Imperialist America?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Jarmak posted:

Trying to handwaive away the egregiousness of the idiocy of this one by whatabouting a 30+ year old incident that isn't comparable is some Glenn Greenwald poo poo though.

Hey. gently caress this dumb poo poo know-nothing nonsense. I know it hurts your feelings to know that the big and good US military super hosed up in 1988, and you’re butthurt that people who have literally served on cruisers in the air defense section think you’re wrong, but don’t compare those arguments with Glenn loving Greenwald.

I’ll take my sixer or whatever , but Jarmak does not even remotely know what the gently caress he is talking about and has a “USA! USA!” sized blind spot.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Of all the places to have this discussion, shouldnt GiP be the one to acknowledge that Joe is going to Joe, even when his name is Ivan or Mohammed?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

mlmp08 posted:

Hey. gently caress this dumb poo poo know-nothing nonsense. I know it hurts your feelings to know that the big and good US military super hosed up in 1988, and you’re butthurt that people who have literally served on cruisers in the air defense section think you’re wrong, but don’t compare those arguments with Glenn loving Greenwald.

I’ll take my sixer or whatever , but Jarmak does not even remotely know what the gently caress he is talking about and has a “USA! USA!” sized blind spot.

You're talking about a guy who said that Iran shooting down the Ukrainian flight (176 fatalities) is "orders of magnitude worse" than the United States shooting down the Iranian flight (290 fatalities) and you think I'm going to sixer you?

What's in it for me?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

stealie72 posted:

Of all the places to have this discussion, shouldnt GiP be the one to acknowledge that Joe is going to Joe, even when his name is Ivan or Mohammed?

It's been said a few times.

But GIP isn't exactly flush with veterans anymore.

Can't imagine why.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Victor Vermis posted:

It's been said a few times.

But GIP isn't exactly flush with veterans anymore.

Can't imagine why.

Not sure what you are implying here. While it’s true there are less than ten or fifteen years ago, there are still a lot of vets hanging around.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

McNally posted:

You're talking about a guy who said that Iran shooting down the Ukrainian flight (176 fatalities) is "orders of magnitude worse" than the United States shooting down the Iranian flight (290 fatalities) and you think I'm going to sixer you?

What's in it for me?

Ill stop say gently caress 24 hours.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Melthir posted:

Ill stop say gently caress 24 hours.

Net loss for humanity

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Hekk posted:

Not sure what you are implying here. While it’s true there are less than ten or fifteen years ago, there are still a lot of vets hanging around.

The current goings-ons in other parts of the forum are, in my opinion, the culmination of what I am implying.

The Gooniest Goons of yore, having attained their final government-funded forms, have now organized themselves into two opposing factions and commenced dox combat. The Holy City of FYAD was eradicated in the impressive opening bombardment, and now an uneasy peace hangs in the balance while whispers of insurgency float on the sulfuric breeze.

Ironic, I think, that GiP has assumed a docile posture and taken on the role of The Occupied. Maybe TGRS or [redacted] will print out some helpful language pamphlets or even fund some grass-roots security initiatives or infrastructure projects while we wait for Uncle 'Tax to flip the big light switch and cash out of this quagmire.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

what

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
A tragic case of posting sickness. It's been going around lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I'm curious what the average reg date of the forums is.