Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Just don’t cut the wire and you can change it if you don’t like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

n8r posted:

I recently bought a house with quite a few mid century design elements. It was subject to a remodel in 2011 that had some corners cut on fixtures. Anyone recommend a site for good quality fixtures with mid century design influences? Ideally we get bright ones as well because the house has only a few can lights and is built into a hillside.

Here's a good jumping-off resource point.

If I ever buy the atomic ranch of my dreams, this is the blog I'm going to use as my reference for renovating it.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Snowy posted:

I’m putting in some pendant lights over a small island, these ones in particular

The metal tube has three sizes so I can have them either 34 or 40 inches over the counter. 40 seems to go higher than almost any guide says to go but I’m tall and don’t want them blocking me much.

I haven’t had an island or pendant lights before, is there some reason I’m missing that make me regret having them that high?

I can measure the height I used in my kitchen,but basically, I made the cord about 12" from the ceiling cone to the light.

I have 8ft ceilings.

MetaJew posted:

Finally got around to installing the ceiling boxes and cheapo pendant lights I picked up. Pretty happy with the results.

Hopefully the pendant wires straighten out a bit.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Snowy posted:

I haven’t had an island or pendant lights before, is there some reason I’m missing that make me regret having them that high?
Not an expert, but we went through this recently. Possible cons of putting them higher at 40”:

- Might not have the desired illumination pattern/brightness on the island
- Shorter people may have the bulb shine in their eyes when sitting at the island

Possible cons of putting them lower at 36”:

- Blocks sight lines for taller people. Counter height is 36”, so the bottom of the pendant will be at 6’ off the ground. If you’re, say, 6’4” that puts it just slightly above your eyes when you’re standing.

I’d say your ceiling height and layout is a big factor. Might look weird to you either way, depending. We put ours at 40”, and I’m glad of it. We have a high kitchen ceiling, though, and the kitchen is open to the living room. I’m 6’0”.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Not an expert, but we went through this recently. Possible cons of putting them higher at 40”:

- Shorter people may have the bulb shine in their eyes when sitting at the island

- Blocks sight lines for taller people. Counter height is 36”, so the bottom of the pendant will be at 6’ off the ground. If you’re, say, 6’4” that puts it just slightly above your eyes when you’re standing.

I’d say your ceiling height and layout is a big factor. Might look weird to you either way, depending. We put ours at 40”, and I’m glad of it. We have a high kitchen ceiling, though, and the kitchen is open to the living room. I’m 6’0”.

the son of man, except with a pendant light

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Cool thanks, they just went in. I think they’re around 40 which should be good for me, I’m 6’2” and don’t really want them close to eye level

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

We recently finished replacing our bathroom.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Post the toilet, you co--oh. Well okay then.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Get a gray cat for the bathroom imo, that one kind of clashes.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jamesrambin/status/1215346023410872323?s=20

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Nessus posted:

Get a gray cat for the bathroom imo, that one kind of clashes.

Good idea.

She wasn't super down for photos.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Megabound posted:

What is this color scheme? Where's the red and black?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Where are the recessed mould stones?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Where is the shame closet? The toilet is just out there, shamelessly, where anyone can see it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I would hate to have your sink but the bathroom does look pretty great

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

How'd you get so lucky with the tile layout?
We all know you can't predict where it'll end up.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I like that bathroom, but how do you open those drawers in the vanity?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
def needs a merdolino

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Youth Decay posted:

I'd assume push in and they pop out? Or from the side

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

The Bloop posted:

I would hate to have your sink but the bathroom does look pretty great

We should have installed a bigger basin, the bench top is so deep because the washing machine is hidden under it, but that made the sink fit far back with the wall mounted faucet choice.

Thumposaurus posted:

How'd you get so lucky with the tile layout?
We all know you can't predict where it'll end up.

We sacrificed the third cat to the tile God.

Youth Decay posted:

https://i.imgur.com/WxS8Rbo.gifv

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Megabound posted:

We should have installed a bigger basin, the bench top is so deep because the washing machine is hidden under it, but that made the sink fit far back with the wall mounted faucet choice.

We sacrificed the third cat to the tile God.

https://i.imgur.com/WxS8Rbo.gifv

I think it looks great, well done.

Bold move posting that toilet shot just straight up, I would’ve asked for a picture of everyone else’s bathroom before the reveal.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Megabound posted:

Good idea.

She wasn't super down for photos.

How complicated is a toilet like that?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well the cat obviously hasn’t figured it out, so there’s a lower bound.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Lift the lid, deposit your turds. There isn't really much more to it than that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, NOW you tell me to lift the lid!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Since he's too scared to post it here.

bEatmstrJ posted:

I finished a kitchen remodel.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
What are those silver squares set into the island countertop?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

w00tmonger posted:

More complicated than a hole in the ground, exactly as complicated as every toilet you’ve ever used that isn’t a hole in the ground.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jan 12, 2020

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

drgitlin posted:

More complicated than a hole in the ground, exactly as complicated as ever toilet you’ve ever used that isn’t a hole in the ground.

Strategically alter a few joists to lower the toilet and you could have both?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

What are those silver squares set into the island countertop?

I'm guessing power outlets?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Thumposaurus posted:

Given how the bathroom turned out, this kitchen shows an amazing amount of restraint from a design perspective.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Thumposaurus posted:

It looks much better and very functional. Good gob BMJ

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I mean he’ll still never live down the bathdoom fiasco but that’s show biz, baby

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I like the kitchen. It's very modern and clean and restrained. It looks functional.

It's everything the bathroom isn't, really.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
But what do :females: think of it?

Presumably they'll be spending a lot of time there, right J?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Megabound posted:

Yeah I love the tile-work. That shower door though would just be a non-functional nightmare if I was using it and a 100% guarantee of making the entire bathroom a swimming pool every morning.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Every hotel I've been at that has that shower glass looks good but isn't functional at all.

I don't know how one keeps the water from getting everywhere. I hope there's a central drain.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

The cistern is accessed by taking the button panel off the wall, other than that it's a regular toilet.

falz posted:

Every hotel I've been at that has that shower glass looks good but isn't functional at all.

I don't know how one keeps the water from getting everywhere. I hope there's a central drain.

The rainfall shower head minimises splashing a lot, we get very minimal water on the floor. There's a central drain but it hasn't been needed so far.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Just want to let you guys know that I've found the most comfortable sofa in the world. It's good, folks:

https://halo-collections.com/seating/luscious-track-sectional

Seating with pocket springs and all pillows with feathers, it's loving amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

orange sky posted:

Just want to let you guys know that I've found the most comfortable sofa in the world. It's good, folks:

https://halo-collections.com/seating/luscious-track-sectional

Seating with pocket springs and all pillows with feathers, it's loving amazing.

I've had feather-stuffed couches and they're pretty good for a short while until they become shapeless, formless, back-destroying nightmares.

At this point I prefer firmer couches with more structural integrity to the pillows.