Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol the official position of the navy is that its iran's fault the vincennes shot down the airliner

that airliner was coming right at them. they felt threatened, and stood their ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
revenge is sour...

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it doesn't go the way you want it to

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Go to hanlonsrazordotcom and use promo code I-R-A-N to get free shipping on your first shaving kit

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Would it be in bad taste to gloat now? No, I don't think so.

uninterrupted posted:

no ones making excuses or glorifying iran, there’s literally no evidence that the plane was shot down, and the theories that it was shot down by iran are solely fueled by lib posters like yourself and a combination of american exceptionalism and islamophobia.

oh, and the bellingcat-esque analysis of an unsourced unverified video of a plane falling out of the sky.

quote:

Iran has admitted "unintentionally" shooting down a Ukrainian passenger jet, killing all 176 people on board.

An investigation found that "missiles fired due to human error", President Hassan Rouhani said. He described the crash as an "unforgivable mistake".

The military said the jet flew close to a sensitive site belonging to Iran's Revolutionary Guards and was then mistaken for a hostile aircraft.

Iran previously rejected suggestions that it was responsible for the crash.

On Saturday morning, an Iranian military statement read on state TV announced that it had struck flight PS752 with a missile by mistake.

The plane had flown near a "sensitive military centre" of the Revolutionary Guards, a force set up to defend the country's Islamic system.

Because of heightened tensions with the US, Iran's military "was at its highest level of readiness", the statement said. "In such a condition, because of human error and in an unintentional way, the flight was hit," it added
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51073621

I mean maybe the capitalist CIA pigdogs forced them to make these statements.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

really queer Christmas posted:

A sad day in cspam when hamprince is walking around freely

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I mean maybe the capitalist CIA pigdogs forced them to make these statements.

The capitalist CIA pigdogs are ultimately responsible for the incident, so at least you got it half-right this time. :allears:

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

uninterrupted posted:

hm yes the simpleminded islamoid brutes clearly blew up the airplane despite a complete lack of evidence, as their crude muslim technology is nowhere near as advanced as Boeing™️’s Pure Aryan Aircraft Engineering.

Can't think of a better time to remember this post

Small Gay Planet has issued a correction as of 10:09 on Jan 11, 2020

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

What's with all the hostility? The d&d thread is more chill

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

extremely funny to see how many people's reaction to this news is to try to do a victory lap on behalf of bellingcat for some reason

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

https://twitter.com/Partisangirl/status/1215924607447814144?s=20

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Happiness posted:

extremely funny to see how many people's reaction to this news is to try to do a victory lap on behalf of bellingcat for some reason

nerds will always stan BM because he’s living proof you can win international renown and make a successful career out of being a pasty white gamer lazily googling whatever your handlers tell you to

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pretty soon you'll need a journalism degree for that.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Brown Moses posted:

Credit to Iran for holding their hands up on this, having worked on MH17 over the last 5 years I've seen what government denials and conspiracy theories do to the families of the victims. Hopefully the conspiracy theorists will take some time this morning to go gently caress themselves.

lol at getting owned by BM

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The most likely scenario turned out to be true, imagine that.

And gently caress every war-hungry ghoul who wants to use it as justification for war.

shrike82 posted:

lol at getting owned by BM

Only when I eat too many spicy beans.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

CODChimera posted:

What's with all the hostility? The d&d thread is more chill

I dunno but this thread has been really gross for ages. Gloating over having your theory confirmed is great when you're researching particle physics or something but less so when it's about how over a hundred people died horribly

But on the other hand there's also like half a dozen posters who are terminally broke brained by the idea that a bad thing could happen that wasn't a CIA plot, which is also kinda stupid!

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Happiness posted:

yeh funny thing about saying 'ironic' things like islamoid, you eventually disappear up your own rear end and the 'ironic' poo poo becomes heartfelt how distasteful

Small Gay Planet has issued a correction as of 11:11 on Jan 11, 2020

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Small Gay Planet posted:

yeh funny thing about saying 'ironic' things like islamoid, you eventually disappear up your own rear end and the 'ironic' poo poo becomes heartfelt how distasteful

incredibly dense

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do like how people are gloating about luckily guessing right.

like I know the internet is big on never admitting your wrong but it’s kind of childish to pretend you were some insightful poster who just knew better than the fiendish hordes

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

guys come on it can be true that a tragic terrible accident happened in the fog of war and that brown moses is still party to fabricating evidence of war crimes in service of the US war machine elsewhere. it's not either or.

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Jeep posted:

incredibly dense

Hop off that high horse, his intention is obvious, I just hate his delivery.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Small Gay Planet posted:

trolling I think.

it isn’t very good trolling but whatever good trolls are hard to come by

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Small Gay Planet posted:

riiiiiiight

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

CharlestheHammer posted:

like I know the internet is big on never admitting your wrong but it’s kind of childish to pretend you were some insightful poster who just knew better than the fiendish hordes

The US government also happened to guess right, without a scintilla of evidence, days ago. Lucky them.

Their gloating might take a different form though.

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

Small Gay Planet posted:

some extremely confusing replies friend

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/Khaaasteh/status/1215936380129497088?s=20

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

"Are ya winning, son?"

It's not about winning DAD, it's about proving the effectiveness of "remote investigations," a new journalism technique pioneered by Something Awful poster Elliot Higgins.

"OK. I just wish you'd go outside and meet a nice girl instead of looking at bent metal all day."

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
D&D is leaking!!!!!!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://lifestyle.clickhole.com/heartbreaking-the-worst-person-you-know-just-made-a-gr-1825121606

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos

Comrade Koba posted:

nerds will always stan BM because he’s living proof you can win international renown and make a successful career out of being a pasty white gamer lazily googling whatever your handlers tell you to

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

Prince Myshkin posted:

The US government also happened to guess right, without a scintilla of evidence, days ago. Lucky them.

Their gloating might take a different form though.

There wasn't much luck involved, a trigger-happy Iranian was always the most probable cause. Most people seemed to be just wanting some actual proof, which is fair.

But there were a decent number of conspiracy minded folk who were doing some impressive contortions to post some ugly poo poo too. God knows how many people would have tried to post through it if the Iranians didn't admit fault.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
some posters here have predicted and, actually, triggered the scoops for multiple headlines but they don't brag about it or call attention to themselves

gently caress out of here with your posting brand

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
honoured to be posting alongside the scoop triggerers

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Tirade posted:

But there were a decent number of conspiracy minded folk who were doing some impressive contortions to post some ugly poo poo too. God knows how many people would have tried to post through it if the Iranians didn't admit fault.

I remember one, really.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tirade posted:

There wasn't much luck involved, a trigger-happy Iranian was always the most probable cause. Most people seemed to be just wanting some actual proof, which is fair.

well yes they would have posted through because their theories up until that point were just as valid as the Iranian one.

Remember the Iranian one is just as much a conspiracy as any other theory.

just because it was what you preferred doesn’t make that any less true.

I mean seriously we were having people dissect grainy cell phones clips. that is exactly what conspiracy theorist do

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

well yes they would have posted through because their theories up until that point were just as valid as the Iranian one.

just because it was what you preferred doesn’t make that any less true.

I mean seriously we were having people dissect grainy cell phones clips. that is exactly what conspiracy theorist do

lol their theories weren't equally valid you dimwit

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Tirade posted:

lol their theories weren't equally valid you dimwit

believe what you want, I know I can’t convince you. The types who believe their conspiracy theories that hard generally can’t be convinced from what I’ve seen. just continue to analyze grainy cell phone footage

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CharlestheHammer posted:

Based on the exact same thing happening multiple times before, including the US shooting down an Iranian airliner by mistake in 1988. Not to mention the countless mistakes and fuckups that happen every single time any military is involved in anything over a certain scale. Betting on the military to gently caress poo poo up is generally a safe bet.

You don't have to be a jumped up internet detective looking at grainy Twitter videos and blowing your own horn.

Thinking that some grunt manning an AA battery probably made a mistake during a very stressful situation is not some kind of conspiracy theory. It doesn't rule out other theories of course, but they are a lot less likely, until decent proof is shown for either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Based on the exact same thing happening multiple times before, including the US shooting down an Iranian airliner by mistake in 1988. Not to mention the countless mistakes and fuckups that happen every single time any military is involved in anything over a certain scale.

You don't have to be a jumped up internet detective looking at grainy Twitter videos and blowing your own horn.

Thinking that some grunt manning an AA battery probably made a mistake during a very stressful situation is not some kind of conspiracy theory. It doesn't rule out other theories of course, but they are a lot less likely, until decent proof is shown.

thinking the official story is fake and someone is covering it up is by definition a conspiracy theory.

sometimes conspiracy theories are correct it happens, gulf of Tonkin being the go to example of this