Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Anyone tried the System Shock reboot thing demo on Steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yes, it runs like dogshit, it looks like dogshit bit seems pretty similar (map and gameplay) to SS1. Some controls can't be changed (menu glitches) but it's a pre-alpha demo. It still needs a lot of improvement.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, single digit FPS with all options on low, and refuses to change resolution.

Shrug.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Surprised to hear that, runs fine on launch for me with six year old hardware. Performance degrades badly over time because of an issue with the ragdolls, devs are aware of that and fixing it already, but with that exception it's pretty good.

Way too dark imo, but the sound design is great, and it shows promise.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Basic Chunnel posted:

Some Prey folks went indie and are basically making a occult-western top down immersive sim (?) for Devolver Digital

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/12/13/arkane-veterans-announce-weird-west/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rQzjVlQUYQ

Oh wow, this could be awesome.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
playing through for the first time and i just noticed, i rescued rani from the telepath in the greenhouse but she's not at the cargo bay like she said she would be? i try to track her down with the tracker but then it gives this update like the quest failed, because she's off the map completely. life signs nominal but location unknown. does she actually show up at cargo once you get there, and this is a bug?

e: getting further in and she shows up when they all move to life support? maybe it was a bug

Flac fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 1, 2020

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012
Any advice for a smooth first playthrough? Beyond http://www.beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Prey_(2017)

Beyond having heard this is excellent, I have no experience with this game at all.
I enjoyed Deus Ex and like Sci-Fi. I also have a tendency to be completionist or a min-maxer (playing alongside guides and walkthroughs) but can cause myself to get burned out by that - especially now that I have less time. Is there a lot to miss in this game? Anything particularly OCD-triggering? Or should I try and just play through the game as it comes?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

As long as you're thorough, there's only two rooms in the game that can't be accessed except by a single way - one of which is a med station with nothing of real interest, the other of which is specifically meant for a secret ending.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure there are more than two rooms which require the mimic power to access (there's nothing in them so you don't really lose out on anything, but they're barricaded by debris you inexplicably can't recycle/move with the strength power/otherwise explode).

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Eeeeeeh? If those rooms exist there's nothing of note in them, as my human-only runthrough managed to bludgeon its way in everywhere it wanted to.

But to answer the original question, there isn't any real way of screwing yourself out of anything of substance. One thing many players do is go for some dumb achievement such as 'human skills only', or 'be the perfect goodie two-shoes' for their first playthrough. Don't do that, it just slows the game down and makes things tedious. You can do a gimmick run later. Also: the difficulty settings mean very little; most of it is a damage multiplier on the player, with a very minor upscaling of certain enemies into slightly tougher variants. I wouldn't sweat it.

edit: And that 'Before I play' list has some glaring errors, in addition to mostly being an opinion piece. Ignore it, just play the game.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 2, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

orcane posted:

Pretty sure there are more than two rooms which require the mimic power to access (there's nothing in them so you don't really lose out on anything, but they're barricaded by debris you inexplicably can't recycle/move with the strength power/otherwise explode).

I'm pretty certain that I was able to go literally everywhere in my No Typhon Powers run. I think there was at least one room that would be easier to access with mimicry but could be opened by shooting nerf darts at a computer screen

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The only room that mimicry is needed for is, iirc, the medbay in the GUTS, outside the magnetosphere

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I believe there was at least one other mimic only nook. Arkane sign posts them a bit by leaving a psihypo inside (though that's not a sufficient condition).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

QuarkJets posted:

I'm pretty certain that I was able to go literally everywhere in my No Typhon Powers run. I think there was at least one room that would be easier to access with mimicry but could be opened by shooting nerf darts at a computer screen

No there are rooms, I think it was two but it has been a while, that could only be accessed by mimicry because they're dead ends and the entrance is blocked by debris that's part of the level geometry, not moveable stuff like doors, furniture or anything that could be recycled.

However, Serephina is right, there's nothing important in them so you're not screwing yourself out of anything if you don't run Typhon powers. I just noticed because it's a bit at odds with the rest of the game giving you more than one way to do pretty much everything, and because there are actually tools for situations like that elsewhere that don't work on these specific rooms.

But I disagree that gimmick runs should be kept for future replays, if you want to challenge yourself in a certain way they're perfectly fine and don't really punish you (the game generally feels a lot more punishing either way in the first hours while you're learning how to deal with certain enemies while still gathering the resources/tools to do so effectively).

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So I burned through this game real quick after finally buying it in this last Steam sale. You were all right: it's extremely good. I jumped right into Mooncrash and it's certainly interesting even if I have no idea what's going on. I like figuring it out on my own, don't tell me anything!

But regular Prey endgame questions / spoilers:

I made a save right at the main branch point at the end and ran down both paths: first activating the big nullwave and then blowing up the station. My first question: I did my best to keep everyone alive and so I knocked out the ridiculously-over-the-top bad guy and Igwe brainwiped him so he'd fly us off the station. But January told Igwe and Mikhaila to launch without me and I did my best but I feel like there's no way I could have gotten to the shuttle in 3 minutes. I even have the super fast run speed neuromod and the time ran out while I was in the elevator heading toward the lobby. Is it possible to make that? I turned around and took Alex's shuttle instead. If it is possible, does anything change?

Second (and much larger) question: was this supposed to be a simulation of something that originally happened? That is, was there a real Morgan who really did either blow up the station or fire the nullwave (or just leave, I guess)? Or is everything about Talos I just a simulation? My impression was that what Alex said at the end was that this really did happen. But if that's the case is there any indication anywhere in the game about what actually happened that first time, i.e. what did the real Morgan do?

Anyway, I actually really liked the ending, and the whole game for that matter. The highlights for me were everything having to do with Mikhaila (I played it for her) and Danielle (the entire Cook sidequest). My only criticism was that past the halfway mark there needed to be, like, a level up of the Nightmare, who would just show up and I'd obliterate immediately with brain explosions and shotgun blasts.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

OzFactor posted:

But regular Prey endgame questions / spoilers:

I made a save right at the main branch point at the end and ran down both paths: first activating the big nullwave and then blowing up the station. My first question: I did my best to keep everyone alive and so I knocked out the ridiculously-over-the-top bad guy and Igwe brainwiped him so he'd fly us off the station. But January told Igwe and Mikhaila to launch without me and I did my best but I feel like there's no way I could have gotten to the shuttle in 3 minutes. I even have the super fast run speed neuromod and the time ran out while I was in the elevator heading toward the lobby. Is it possible to make that? I turned around and took Alex's shuttle instead. If it is possible, does anything change?
There's no sequence in which you escape with the shuttle, the choice between blowing TALOS and using the nullwave is the final scene of the game.

OzFactor posted:

Second (and much larger) question: was this supposed to be a simulation of something that originally happened? That is, was there a real Morgan who really did either blow up the station or fire the nullwave (or just leave, I guess)? Or is everything about Talos I just a simulation? My impression was that what Alex said at the end was that this really did happen. But if that's the case is there any indication anywhere in the game about what actually happened that first time, i.e. what did the real Morgan do?
The frame of the game is a simulation of possible outcomes for Talos I. The intro test is the thesis of the game - it is all a VR multiple choice test, to determine whether a Typhon presumably augmented with Morgan's mirror neurons (rather than Morgan augmented with Typhon physiology) would be likely to or even capable of making moral judgments, specifically merciful ones.

The actual story of what happened at Talos I is unclear - all that is clear is that Alex made it to Earth, and so did the Typhon, and the apocalypse has come to pass. The game (and Mooncrash, for that matter) presents several non-exclusive avenues by which the Typhon could have escaped and made it off the station, which is appropriate for a story about men playing God; what's abundantly clear is that it was ridiculous to even think that the Typhon could be controlled or contained at any level, and that Talos was doomed more or less from the start.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Is there anything different in a New Game + ? I mean, other than keeping your neuromods. Knowing that there's an actual reason for there to be a NG+ seems like they might have added a few things, but that's kind of asking a lot of the devs, I guess.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

There isn't anything specific to NG+ but there are some things you can do with the benefit of hindsight, such as destroying January, so they don't destroy December, and December is your buddy for that run. Or destroy them both to have a "quiet" run with nobody telling you what to do.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I remember someone complaining they didn't know how to proceed after doing that on their first playthrough, lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm trying to figure out how the game even works if you do that.

Do you just bumble around until you eventually land on plot triggers?

It actually never even occured to me that you could kill january as I figured she'd just get printed out of the operator dispenser or something but I guess that's the point, she isn't a blueprint.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Holy poo poo I need to do that now and see how the game reacts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Would make for a hell of a kill everything run. Morgan alone on the station, no voices in their head except the typhon whispering.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Would make for a hell of a kill everything run. Morgan alone on the station, no voices in their head except the typhon whispering.

That's exactly what I did on my first run of the game. One of the devs had suggested killing January on Twitter when the game first launched so I said hell yeah I'll just kill everything and it was pretty great.

There's no way to get lost because you still get the objectives for the main quest, it's just temporarily unkillable people like Alex or Danielle directing you instead of January.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Basic Chunnel posted:

There's no sequence in which you escape with the shuttle,

I... did that exact thing at the end of my first run. Are you not supposed to be able to? :confused:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
You can definitely do that. I'm pretty sure there's like an achievement for bringing Dahl along.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nah he was mistaken, taking the shuttle with friends and watching Talos blow from afar is totally a normal ending. There's a surprising amount of minor variations for major plot events, depending on who's alive and what areas you've cleared; a lot of walkthroughs can be quite misleading as they present things in a linear order, while the devs built things around the player exploring more free-form.

A good example of this is (uh, what's the name of that merc with the bots?) and how many times you interact with him and what goes on. Everyone keeps talking about a hostage situation, but I had no such thing as even on my first run I putzed about in Atmospherics and flicked all the switches.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Serephina posted:

A good example of this is (uh, what's the name of that merc with the bots?) and how many times you interact with him and what goes on. Everyone keeps talking about a hostage situation, but I had no such thing as even on my first run I putzed about in Atmospherics and flicked all the switches.

That's Dahl. I just finished a run in which I killed absolutely everyone (and didn't get the achievement for some reason :mad:), and the way things played out with him was kind of interesting. Was not expecting him to offer an unholy alliance, even if I did spot the inevitable betrayal coming from a mile away. Kinda showed your rear end with that ambush in the Trauma Centre, Dahl old buddy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can see the temptation to work with the friendly man who supplies you with large amounts of metal.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I recently replayed Prey after a year or so and found a bunch of stuff I missed somehow on my first playthrough. One moment that I skipped the first time that was loving amazing was the typhons ambushing you and subsequent fight in the bar after activating the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4RanjlL7sg
:)

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Basic Chunnel posted:

There's no sequence in which you escape with the shuttle, the choice between blowing TALOS and using the nullwave is the final scene of the game.

There is though, it is 8 minutes countdown and you can run there if you meet a certain condition
Keep Dahl alive to pilot and you must have few Typhon neuromods in you so January doesn't fake message for them to depart and offers you to destroy it and evacuate instead

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm fairly sure you don't need Typhon mods in your to get out alive. Unless you mean all mods are typhon mods intrinsically, then I dno.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Serephina posted:

I'm fairly sure you don't need Typhon mods in your to get out alive. Unless you mean all mods are typhon mods intrinsically, then I dno.

"You must have few Typhon neuromods", i.e. not very many, presumably under the threshold where turrets read you as human.

Presumably you could also destroy January. I haven't gotten this ending yet.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I've had endings where January zaps your brother, and others where he destoys January, right before the final choice. Does anyone know what determines that?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I managed to escape with a human only run and with January being a dick so you don’t need the full time or Typhon mods

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

I managed to escape with a human only run and with January being a dick so you don’t need the full time or Typhon mods

Yeah it's doable, just difficult. As long as you know where you're going and run like hell, it's achievable (although I did pull it off with literally 1 second on the timer :v:)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I don’t think it was even close to a problem because I didn’t give it any thought until now .

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Putting enough points in security makes you move around like the Doom Slayer and the improved wrench damage owns for quickly moving and smashing typhon to death.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Putting enough points in security makes you move around like the Doom Slayer and the improved wrench damage owns for quickly moving and smashing typhon to death.

It's even better if you get the chipset that increases the chance of causing knockdown with the wrench. It's pretty funny when Phantoms zoom up to you only to get immediately smacked to the ground and slowly, anticlimactically bludgeoned to death while they stand up and fall down again over and over and over.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yeah it's doable, just difficult. As long as you know where you're going and run like hell, it's achievable (although I did pull it off with literally 1 second on the timer :v:)

I wonder which is faster: bridge to arboretum airlock, EVA to shuttle bay, then take the gravshafts up to the shuttle, or bridge to elevator via arboretum and enter the bay via the lobby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

That goofy doodle doesn't inspire confidence but everything else does, I'd be very interested in seeing the ol immersive sim fro ma new perspective. Especially so I can stop getting into dumbass fights on reddit over whether Prey and the like are Immersive Sims or FPS. (secret: there are no good arguments for calling it an FPS besides being some sort of dipshit who just hates the term Immersive Sim)

Serephina posted:

One thing many players do is go for some dumb achievement such as 'human skills only', or 'be the perfect goodie two-shoes' for their first playthrough. Don't do that, it just slows the game down and makes things tedious. You can do a gimmick run later.

Naw, this is bad advice. I think you should play how feels natural to you and not sweat it. The "gimmicks" you mentioned aren't gimmicks. "No neuromods" is a gimmick that should be reserved, but choosing to not use the alien injections is really obviously telegraphed by the game as a Thing and a personal Choice you're making. Being the perfect goody two shoes is also natural behaviour for a lot of players and it's not exactly some extreme requirement in this game. You would kind of need to go out of your way to be evil in the game. I'm imaging your first run as you just running through gunning everything down rambo style and injesting any and everything in your path lol.