Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Macaroni posted:

Update: got RIFfed. Company-wife layoffs. It's ok--I was expecting this to happen eventually, seeing as I've had hardly any work assigned to me for ages. Boss was very kind and offered both a reference and possible freelance opportunities. I've never actually been let go from a job before, I expect this is pretty mild as these things go.

Register for unemployment right away. Then take a couple days to decompress and start hitting your network/shotgunning resumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

The Macaroni posted:

Update: got RIFfed. Company-wife layoffs. It's ok--I was expecting this to happen eventually, seeing as I've had hardly any work assigned to me for ages. Boss was very kind and offered both a reference and possible freelance opportunities. I've never actually been let go from a job before, I expect this is pretty mild as these things go.
That blows, man. what industry was your company in?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

What, you're not married to your job?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Team meeting next week to discuss 2020 projects and structure. I've emailed my boss recapping my side of the collaborative argument and asked for his feedback before the meeting so we're not yelling at each other there. If he doesn't respond (and he won't because he never puts arguments in writing as some form of CYA) I'll assume victory by default and go ahead with team projects. The rest of the team will back me there in the same room. It's possible my bosses boss will be there too.

Your situation sounds like my last company. They weren't as aggressive about it but they essentially marked enough projects as "top priority" that we'd all have to silo to work on them, and they told us straight out that the justification was that so when they told any given one of our very loud and impatient customers that we were working on their hot button issue, it wouldn't be a lie. To repeat that, they told our customers that we were working on things, making progress on things, regardless, and put pressure on us to spread ourselves too thin so we wouldn't make them liars after the fact. :psyduck:

Of course it wasn't in the cards to change the loving relationship with the customers, to put their foot down and tell them that we had a product and this is what it did and we'd take feedback but we control the direction of the product. No just tell us what to build, customers, mmm oh yeah please let me get my lips pressed so firmly into your rear end it leaves a permanent mark.

The way we changed our process was to rebel and force it. We decided, as an engineering team, that we needed to break down our silos and spread the knowledge around, and we were going to do that by putting a minimum of 2 people on any given issue regardless of what it was. The bigger issues got 3 or 4 people depending on the complexity (there's an upper limit here). It helped our morale a lot, and we came out of it with better quality features. The managers didn't appreciate it of course, but at that point I didn't give a poo poo and they couldn't afford to do anything about it because we were running on a skeleton crew anyway. I don't like rebelling but sometimes it's the only way to improve things if you don't want to just leave.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

PremiumSupport posted:

What, you're not married to your job?

https://twitter.com/REALpunknews/status/1213293975978668033

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

The Macaroni posted:

Hopefully you get a decent severance package. My advice is to register for unemployment ASAP then take a couple days (or weeks) to decompress. I was let go for the first time from my last job. I took 3 months off and got really really picky about my interviews. Ultimately it was the best decision because the job I ended up landing is the most fulfilling job I've ever had.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Macaroni posted:

Proteus Jones posted:

Register for unemployment right away. Then take a couple days to decompress and start hitting your network/shotgunning resumes.

Literally right away. Today. Also do your job searches for this week per the regulations.

A lot of states don't pay benefits for the first week of UI (the registration week).

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Schadenboner posted:

Literally right away. Today. Also do your job searches for this week per the regulations.

A lot of states don't pay benefits for the first week of UI (the registration week).

My state doesn't pay benefits for the entire period that you had either paid out vacation or severance. Between the two I had 7 weeks where unemployment wouldn't pay after getting fired from my last job, and I had gotten a job shortly after that.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I've been laid off a poo poo load of times and I always race to the unemployment office in the morning and then try to get lunch with my coworkers before we go our separate ways.

Then I take 1 week off before I hit the trail like a full-time job.

edit: except that time I played GTA III and Vice City for a few months.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bob Morales posted:

It's almost as if Microsoft doesn't have a free tool that scans your network for Microsoft Software....oh nevermind

Last time microsoft asked to audit us, we asked them for that software and it provided numbers about 3x our real ones. We had to go quadruple check all data and wasted so much time it would have been faster to do it by hand over sccm.
At the end we just told them to get bent and pound sand.
Next year, when they started asking for the same audit, we asked them to provide us a precise and accurate license list at that point in time to cross reference and when they told us we need to tell microsoft what licenses we have bought from microsoft, we told them we would have to bill them for our admin staff time to go digging in our receipts.
Never heard from them ever since.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

SlowBloke posted:

we told them we would have to bill them for our admin staff time to go digging in our receipts.

This is awesome. Your company is awesome.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

SlowBloke posted:

Last time microsoft asked to audit us, we asked them for that software and it provided numbers about 3x our real ones. We had to go quadruple check all data and wasted so much time it would have been faster to do it by hand over sccm.
At the end we just told them to get bent and pound sand.
Next year, when they started asking for the same audit, we asked them to provide us a precise and accurate license list at that point in time to cross reference and when they told us we need to tell microsoft what licenses we have bought from microsoft, we told them we would have to bill them for our admin staff time to go digging in our receipts.

Microsoft has every right to audit your environment. It’s what your company signed up for when it chose to use their products. You will get audited eventually if you are big enough for them to care.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
The Microsoft Defender has entered the chat

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sickening posted:

Microsoft has every right to audit your environment. It’s what your company signed up for when it chose to use their products. You will get audited eventually if you are big enough for them to care.

Not in Europe it hasn’t. BSA has no teeth here, It’s entirely up to us to allow it. If Microsoft asked the police to verify if we haven’t paid them for currently running software we would have to comply and provide proof of purchase for anything at gunpoint but AFAIK it has yet to do so for any company I ever worked for and double so for my current one which is government.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 11, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We don't even use VL software so I don't know why are even doing it

They think Microsoft will have our company raided :lol:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Teams is getting read receipts, they can either be disabled across the tenant by an admin or you can turn them off in the client. If your admin forces them on then welp.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Honestly, though: who cares? You can request all the read receipts you want, and I’ll happily send them when I read your message.

All the read receipts in the world don’t mean poo poo to my to do list unless we have a meeting with my manager and other principles to reprioritize my current workload. Until then, get in line and enjoy knowing that I’ve read your message and am not currently doing anything about it.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I think the team lead doesn’t know what he’s doing...

I rebuilt a database index using a script, a normal activity done every week. Smart guy thinks it’s taking too long and checks the status file instead of the log file and doesn’t see output (thus beginneth the panicking). He believes because I closed the terminal window to the system after I was done with the script this somehow (???) led to the script failing. I then show him the recording of my session and the script log file which contradicts him and he shuts up immediately.

Did I mention he wrote the documentation for this task? And complains about people being too quick to assign blame? :11tea:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

SlowBloke posted:

Not in Europe it hasn’t. BSA has no teeth here, It’s entirely up to us to allow it. If Microsoft asked the police to verify if we haven’t paid them for currently running software we would have to comply and provide proof of purchase for anything at gunpoint but AFAIK it has yet to do so for any company I ever worked for and double so for my current one which is government.

Microsoft tried to find out what we owed them once. They recoiled in horror once they realised what that would entail. They spent over a year with us dutifully providing what they asked for, however…

…we are a university. Each institute, and we have over a hundred, does their own purchasing IF they "centralised" it. Most have not, so individual working groups, within the limits of their grants, do their own thing. The university structure is extremely bottom-up, centered around professors and their needs. Profs are fiercely territorial and the only thing that's centralised is the network and email.

After that year was over they were done with a mid-sized institute, had blown an incredible amount of man hours, and were staring into the organisational equivalent of the Mariana Trench.

I almost feel sympathy for them. They experienced a small sliver of what I deal with on a daily basis. And they couldn't handle it. We now pay a greatly reduced flat rate and everyone agreed to not do this ever again.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Someone microwaved some old paella this morning. Whole coffee area reeks of dodgy shrimp now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Someone reheated rice, you say?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hey Bob,

I was wondering why what you wrote in your edit on XXXXX's status report would help quell sql injection

Here is what you wrote so you don't have to look it up.
conn.Open()
Dim sqlquery As String = "SELECT * FROM Users Where Username = @user;"
Dim data As SqlDataReader Dim adapter As New SqlDataAdapter
Dim parameter As New SqlParameter
Dim command As SqlCommand = New SqlCommand(sqlquery, conn)
With command.Parameters .Add(New SqlParameter("@user", password_user.Text))
End With
command.Connection = conn
adapter.SelectCommand = command
data = command.ExecuteReader()

While I think it is an interesting way to write sql queries, I don't actually feel like it would stop sql injection. I may be wrong as it's a little different than I'm used to.
If I were to enter the user text as malicious code such as writing another AND comparison operator, It would technically default to a false value until the comparison returns true, such as looking for an SQL version running on the server. Once a malicious user has that information they could do all sorts of things such as dropping tables.

I may be overlooking something there, but I would like your input on how it works for real.

Thanks, newbie dude with no experience.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

:words:

Thanks, newbie dude with no experience.

Why doesn't he... ya know... try it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Why doesn't he... ya know... try it?

Exactly what I wrote back... "why do you think that? I don't think you've tested your theory on a similar piece of code..."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Exactly what I wrote back... "why do you think that? I don't think you've tested your theory on a similar piece of code..."

I'm just going to assume it would have taken him less time to try it than write that screed of an email.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

During his first week I took him up to the server room and we racked some equipment.

I was telling him some stuff about fiber cable and he told me I was wrong, and then said "there are thousands of fibers in one fiber optic cable"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

During his first week I took him up to the server room and we racked some equipment.

I was telling him some stuff about fiber cable and he told me I was wrong, and then said "there are thousands of fibers in one fiber optic cable"

Unfounded confidence is my favorite.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bob Morales posted:

Well he's technically correct, it's just not those fibre cables you're working with :v:. I'd pity someone having to splice those cores if it was true.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Edit: what the heck, this post was supposed to go in the beer thread :|

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 13, 2020

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

poo poo pissing me off:

Desk surfaces in hotel rooms.

Hey fucknuts, when you design your hotel room desks please keep in mind that mice are OPTICAL now. You ultra sleek glass-topped chrome whatnot loving pisses me off every time I have to grab your menu or tourist brochure to use as a goddamn mousepad.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.
Everyone uses a touchpad and has terrible posture.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Agrikk posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

Desk surfaces in hotel rooms.

Hey fucknuts, when you design your hotel room desks please keep in mind that mice are OPTICAL now. You ultra sleek glass-topped chrome whatnot loving pisses me off every time I have to grab your menu or tourist brochure to use as a goddamn mousepad.

See, I like those surfaces because they make contaminates very visible, so the cleaning staff usually give it a good clean.

If I can't see my face in it, I assume it is impregnated with KY Jelly and 'fluids'

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shut up Meg posted:

See, I like those surfaces because they make contaminates very visible, so the cleaning staff usually give it a good clean.

If I can't see my face in it, I assume it is impregnated with KY Jelly and 'fluids'

That's why I wear these to sleep in whenever I have to travel.

https://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-SUB-ZERO-Costume-Pajamas/dp/B018BAW134

Also, I haven't found a surface yet that interferes with my MX Anywhere S2 mouse.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
If you're not using a Trackball mouse, you are objectively wrong.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Exactly

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

.... I kind of want one of those now. I mean, it would need to be bigger because that looks like it's made for tiny hands, but that's a genius idea.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bring back trackballs for 2020

https://www.logitech.com/en-gb/product/mx-ergo-wireless-trackball-mouse

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

thumb trackballs are terrible, this was my poo poo for a long time: https://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-D68-00007-Trackball-Explorer/dp/B00005853Z

Also, before the explorer, I used a mouse similar to this to game and I don't think I will ever come close to being as good as I was when using it: https://sa.rsdelivers.com/product/logitech/910-000808/logitech-marble-2-button-wired-track-ball-optical/7023845

Shut up Meg posted:

Don't ever touch the comforters at hotels.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

MF_James posted:

Also, before the explorer, I used a mouse similar to this to game and I don't think I will ever come close to being as good as I was when using it: [url]https://sa.rsdelivers.com/product/logitech/910-000808/logitech-marble-2-button-wired-track-ball-optical/7023845
[/url]
Agreed: I still have the ball from mine as a lucky charm/desk top

MF_James posted:

Don't ever touch the comforters at hotels.
My friend takes a plastic bag for the remote control. At first, I thought that was completely OTT. Now I have thought about it, I refuse to turn on the TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Yo Agrikk,

Heard anything about https://m.signalvnoise.com/aws-s3-youre-out-of-order/ ?