Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The US government does have a tendency to be a bit biased as concerns Iran, so I think we should wait until we have significant corroborating evidence of a missile strike. For example, a 737-800 in good condition exploding as if hit by a missile, in an area where missiles may have been armed to defend against airborne threats.

I get being paranoid when it comes to the US government and media, but suspecting something other than an accidentally-fired Iranian missile is getting into bizarre conspiracy territory. Doubly so as Iran seems strangely motivated to clear the crash site before an independent investigation can be completed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Davin Valkri posted:

Out of genuine curiosity, who would then certify planes from Bombadier, Embraer, Ilyushin, Comac, and other non-US, non-European manufacturers?

Yes, that is an interesting question and not as clear as with Airbus and Boeing, but the most important thing is that the certification isn't done by the same nation as designed the plane. Canada could be a good choice for Embraer, as sort of the biggest competitor. Maybe the regulator which receives the most votes or "trusts" from other regulating bodies.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Maybe there should just be an aircraft certification organization run by the UN or something

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe there should just be an aircraft certification organization run by the UN or something

No one (the EU and the US included) are willing to cede their regulatory authority to a universal international body. Probably a good move, since it would be just as corrupt as the current model, if not even more so.

Boeing should be held responsible for their transgressions, and the FAA inspectors that allowed subpar design work to slip through should be held accountable as well. Attempting to bypass regulation should always be punished.

After all of that unpleasantness is done though, if the regulatory standards encourage workarounds in order to reduce costs, maybe redesign the regulations to favor safe and compliant new designs instead of bandaids over sixty year old systems. This is not a time to stonewall and bring the regulatory hammer down on everything that moves. Now is a time to learn from this incident and make an inherently safer system.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I thought this was pretty good vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH_m_07_CuQ

Same thing but with a 360 view
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU5jWKxIicc

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

MrYenko posted:

No one (the EU and the US included) are willing to cede their regulatory authority to a universal international body. Probably a good move, since it would be just as corrupt as the current model, if not even more so.

Boeing should be held responsible for their transgressions, and the FAA inspectors that allowed subpar design work to slip through should be held accountable as well. Attempting to bypass regulation should always be punished.

After all of that unpleasantness is done though, if the regulatory standards encourage workarounds in order to reduce costs, maybe redesign the regulations to favor safe and compliant new designs instead of bandaids over sixty year old systems. This is not a time to stonewall and bring the regulatory hammer down on everything that moves. Now is a time to learn from this incident and make an inherently safer system.

The problem here is the FAA letting Boeing self certify their designs, the regulatory framework around airplanes has been proven to make air travel the safest from of transport in the world. Adequately fund the FAA and don't staff with execs fresh from the companies they're supposed to be regulating and crap like this is a lot less likely to happen.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

rscott posted:

The problem here is the FAA letting Boeing self certify their designs, the regulatory framework around airplanes has been proven to make air travel the safest from of transport in the world. Adequately fund the FAA and don't staff with execs fresh from the companies they're supposed to be regulating and crap like this is a lot less likely to happen.

Stuff like this always reminds me of the excelent "The storm before the storm" by Mike Duncan.

To paraphrase: the things that brought down the republic were obvious and acknowleged and avoidable if the wealthy had only had the courage to put aside their own self interest even a little bit.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Well at least he won't be getting severance:

https://twitter.com/business/status/1215778618883833856?s=20

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jeez Boeing must be in real strife to deny severance, CEO's don't like companies that do that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hey Boeing, hire me as CEO and I will 1) not kill hundreds of people and 2) only cost you seventy‐nine million dollars.

PM me to discuss travel arrangements.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Platystemon posted:

Hey Boeing, hire me as CEO and I will 1) not kill hundreds of people and 2) only cost you seventy‐nine million dollars.

PM me to discuss travel arrangements.

I can make no promises on the killing hundreds of people, but I guarantee that I will be in and out the door for seventy-eight million dollars.

Standing by for your call, Boeing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I guess golden parachutes can be faulty and still ensure those underneath them land on their feet.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ll do it for 69 million. :c00lbert:

ickna
May 19, 2004

The only instance where Boeing’s failure to deploy a parachute can actually be considered a mission success.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:holymoley:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

:jebstare: :captainpop:

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

send that to Boeing's marketing department

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I the tradition of black thread titles,

Aeronautical Insanity: MCAS Saves the Day

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I guess golden parachutes can be faulty and still ensure those underneath them land on their feet.

Yeah, a pile of corpses makes for a pretty soft landing.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Jonny Nox posted:

I the tradition of black thread titles,

Aeronautical Insanity: MCAS Saves the Day

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

good lord

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The last time I took at shot at Mach 2.8, I got MCASed.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, a pile of corpses makes for a pretty soft landing.

:drat:
:aaa::hf::(

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, that’s that then.

https://twitter.com/cochranecbc/status/1215844416964919297?s=21

Honestly I’m sort of glad they actually took responsibility, pretending they didn’t do it would’ve been worse.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

PT6A posted:

So, that’s that then.

https://twitter.com/cochranecbc/status/1215844416964919297?s=21

Honestly I’m sort of glad they actually took responsibility, pretending they didn’t do it would’ve been worse.

Oh, I don't know. Most nations thst have shot down an airliner said "did not" until everyone was tired of it and got off scott free.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Congrats Iran for being less terrible than Russia

In this narrow instance anyway

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

poo poo. This is a way longer list than I expected:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airliner_shootdown_incidents

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ZzktAFJK4

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Eighteen of the 56 passengers of the Vickers Viscount survived the crash, but 10 of the survivors were massacred by the guerrillas at the crash site.

:ohno:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ok after the 3rd bounce why not firewall the throttles and attempt a go-around?

(The answer is a variant of target fixation I guess)

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

Jonny Nox posted:

Ok after the 3rd bounce why not firewall the throttles and attempt a go-around?

(The answer is a variant of target fixation I guess)

That, or just got brain locked.

One of the many reasons tailwheel training should be mandatory, you can directly make this condition happen as an instructor, to make sure the student can handle it. With a tricycle, you can't without begging for firewall damage. So unless it happens accidentally with an instructor, any notion of the proper response is academic, and the student's first time will be on their own.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 11, 2020

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Any landing you can walk away from

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/HassanRouhani/status/1215856039997984768

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

People hosed up in an extremely tense situation. It sucks and shouldn’t have happened, but its not the first time and it won’t be the last.

At least Iran only denied it for a little bit in the face of overwhelming evidence and then said “yeah we messed up”. As opposed to denying it forever in the face of overwhelming evidence like most governments do. Or giving medals to the people responsible for the shootdown.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
https://twitter.com/AirportHaber/status/1215566068665720832?s=20

Bit of a hard landing.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Gervasius posted:

New thread title right here.

Shorten it to
Aeronautical Insanity: Designed by clowns, supervised by monkeys

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

I initially read this as gorillas and was like holy poo poo.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Real Amethyst posted:

I initially read this as gorillas and was like holy poo poo.

I've been careful to make that distinction ever since Captain Ron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyG0G96UB6k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

dexter6 posted:

Any landing you can walk away from

any landing you walk away from *on the main gear*