Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

Holy poo poo. I've got nothing to add except that this is legitimately barbaric. Is this still an active policy?

Yup. If you watch some of the sumo news channels, you’ll see at least one or two stories every torpurnement about some guy that hasn’t been able to train the 2 months say stuff like “I’m going to start training tomorrow and I’ll be good to go day 1!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

pseudodragon posted:

Yup. If you watch some of the sumo news channels, you’ll see at least one or two stories every torpurnement about some guy that hasn’t been able to train the 2 months say stuff like “I’m going to start training tomorrow and I’ll be good to go day 1!”

This kind of makes me feel bad about supporting the sport. I still will, because I've spent half a lifetime supporting exploitative violence, but I feel bad.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Marching Powder posted:

This kind of makes me feel bad about supporting the sport. I still will, because I've spent half a lifetime supporting exploitative violence, but I feel bad.

Every contact sport is bad and we should feel bad for liking them. (Still gonna watch, though.)

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Elissimpark posted:

You might be surprised to learn that there are grumpy old men who think that this was a good quality - can't remember which oyakata praised his "spirit".

More PYF Hakuho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPYuc2EDtTQ&t=707s

Even unbalanced and being pushed backwards, Hakuho can find someway to ruin your day.

The kimarite there (yaguranage) is pretty rare - only 6 pulled off in the past 25 odd years. Looking at the history of it though, it got a good outing during the 50's and 60's. Probably because everyone was a bit smaller back then.

Historic shout out to Arashiyama who pulled off two in the same tournament (May 1970) on consecutive days, one on an opponent 40kg heavier.
Not Hakuho, but here's Harumafuji/Ama somehow pulling off ucchari-on-the-bails by doing something impossible with his leg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WdMJxTA68Y

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Apraxin posted:

Not Hakuho, but here's Harumafuji/Ama somehow pulling off ucchari-on-the-bails by doing something impossible with his leg:

That's incredible.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Apraxin posted:

PYF Harumafuji is going to be pretty great too, right? He is the guy with the most W’s against Hakuho after all

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Tsaedje posted:

Can't remember if it's been mentioned in this new thread, but one of the reasons there are so many problems with fighting through injuries at the moment is the fact that in 2004 they removed the right to sit out one tournament without loss of rank in a supreme moment of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

it blew my mind to find out via wiki research that it was different not all that many years ago and it's not just a matter of an old tradition people are unwilling to change

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

"Find someone that will look at you like Hakuho looks at Enho."

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Bentai posted:

"Find someone that will look at you like Hakuho looks at Enho."

how do they fight in the same division? sumo is fascinating for many reasons.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

how do they fight in the same division? sumo is fascinating for many reasons.

Let me tell you about Gagamaru, the man 40 kilograms heavier than Hakuho.

....That's it. There's a man named Gagamaru. He is 40 kilograms heavier than Hakuho.

Also shorter.

Actually just watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFuHycJCviU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

rare Magic card l00k posted:

....That's it. There's a man named Gagamaru. He is 40 kilograms heavier than Hakuho.

Also shorter.

owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

while we're sort of on the topic, how do they set the brackets for bashos? surely they don't match up a maegashira 17 with hakuho.... do they?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Kenning posted:

We have a Fantasy Sumo Tournament that we run most basho. It's pretty fun, and on the player's side, pretty easy. The banzuke is divided into 5 sections, and you get a wrestler at each section to earn you points. You submit a slate of guys for the draft (3 at each section) and then they get picked based on your position on a wire. It's a fun way to follow wrestlers at the bottom of the division.

Ok time to follow some rikishi

Y/O: Hakuho / Goeido / Kakuryu
S/K: Daiesho / Abi / Asanoyama
M1-5: Enho / Okinoumi / Mitakeumi
M6-10: TOCHINOSHIN / Shohozan / Takanosho
M11+: Salt bae / Tokushoryu / Kotoeko

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

while we're sort of on the topic, how do they set the brackets for bashos? surely they don't match up a maegashira 17 with hakuho.... do they?

The matchups are decided by the grumpy old men.

My understanding is that generally you face the 15 competitors around your rank, so a Yokozuna will face the 15 highest-ranked competitors, although if someone drops out, he might face someone below that rank.

For example, last tournament Hakuho's lowest-ranked opponent was maegashira 5 west due to the other Yokozuna, Kakuryu, two Ozeki, and a Sekiwake dropping out.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

The matchups are decided by the grumpy old men.

My understanding is that generally you face the 15 competitors around your rank, so a Yokozuna will face the 15 highest-ranked competitors, although if someone drops out, he might face someone below that rank.

For example, last tournament Hakuho's lowest-ranked opponent was maegashira 5 west due to the other Yokozuna, Kakuryu, two Ozeki, and a Sekiwake dropping out.

Yeah basically this, though they're decided day-by-day so throughout the tournament if someone is doing exceptionally well they might move them up to fight some high rankers, as I mentioned before Ichinojo's debut in the division was M10 and yet he ended up fighting 2 Ozeki and 2 Yokozuna. More recently Tomokaze was brought up from M7w to fight Kakuryu because he was 9-3 going in to day 13.

Usually on day 1 most guys will fight the person with the same rank as them, just the opposite side, but because they want to leave the big matches to the end of the tournament (Ozeki vs Ozeki, Yokozuna vs Yokozuna, Yokozuna vs Ozeki), that means for the first week or so the Ozeki/Yokozuna are fighting the Komubusbi/M1/M2/M3 guys.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

are any of these sumo guys on twitter? Hakuho and Enho are now my faves

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

For matchups, an addition rule is that you can’t face guys in your own stable or close relatives like if brothers were in two different stables unless it’s a tiebreaker for the championship. So if say one stable had 2 Yokozuna, their guys would have a pretty big advantage since they don’t have to fight each other.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

coconono posted:

are any of these sumo guys on twitter? Hakuho and Enho are now my faves

There's been increasing twitter activity from some Rikishi over the past couple years but an incident (or maybe several?) recently where some of them posted some videos of inappropriate behavior led to them being told to cut it out (the posting on social media, not the inappropriate behavior, because of course).

Here's Hakuho's twitter, he used to mostly tweet in Mongolian but it's been a healthy mix and even with English translations lately.

https://twitter.com/HakuhoSho69

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Also shorter.

Man, I miss Gagamaru in makuuchi. Not for his fighting, but for his inability to hide his feelings about stuff. There was a close call that went against him (should've been a do over) and dude was nearly in tears over the injustice.

To be clear, I'm not hahaha dude crying here, but genuinely liked that he had deep feelings about stuff. Maybe its a Georgian thing.

Brut posted:

...because they want to leave the big matches to the end of the tournament (Ozeki vs Ozeki, Yokozuna vs Yokozuna, Yokozuna vs Ozeki), that means for the first week or so the Ozeki/Yokozuna are fighting the Komubusbi/M1/M2/M3 guys.

And this is why those ranks are known as the meatgrinder (M3 through K) - you get smashed by the big guys in the first week, then try to rebuild any morale you have left to eke out a kachikoshi in the second week.

ratmosphere
Oct 31, 2017

Y/O: Kakuryu/Hakuho/Takakeisho
S/K: Asanoyama/Abi/Takayasu
M1-5: Mitakeumi/Okinoumi/Tamawashi
M6-10: Tochinoshin/Shohozan/Onosho
M11+: Kaisei/Tochiozan/Kotoshogiku

I believe in the power of a good comeback narrative. Thanks again to Kenning for tabulating.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It's fascinating to look at that site full of old pictures and see how the pre-WW2 sumotori were mostly just big, beefy dudes and not enormously heavy. I'd like to see how those matches went.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

could you guys imagine Hakuho in a mosh pit?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/videos/20200110112150557/

quote:

The January Grand Sumo Tournament will begin on Sunday. As the wrestlers prepare to battle it out in the ring, we review the past year in sumo and take a look at what to expect in the year ahead. Our special guest is the one and only artist and sumo commentator, H.E. Demon Kakka.
What an outstanding special guest.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

lol what the gently caress? this is insane and amazing. also, what is 'daskoi' (???)pronounced like dus-coy

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So whose job is it to make the money by cutting all the ceremonial stuff out and selling/streaming just the actual fights?

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
I... think i've done this correctly:

Y/O: Hakuho, Kakuryu, Goeido
S/K: Takayasu, Asanoyama, Abi
M1-5: Enho, Myogiryu, Meisei
M6-10: Tochinoshin, Shohozan, Aoiyama
M11+: Tsurugisho, Ikioi, Kotonowaka

if not, no worries, just let me know and i'll fix it if there's time otherwise i'll just watch some great sumo

Spokes fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 11, 2020

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Let's give it a shot.

Y/O: Hakuho/Goeido/Kakuryu
S/K: Asanoyama/Daieisho/Takayasu
M1-5: Enho/Hokutofuji/Mitakeumi
M6-10: Ishiura/Tochinoshin/Shohozan
M11+: Terutsuyoshi/Chiyomaru/Kagayaki

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

lol what the gently caress? this is insane and amazing. also, what is 'daskoi' (???)pronounced like dus-coy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e77XvAGOFOE&t=11s

I haven't seen Demon Kakka on for a while, but apparently he's a huge sumo nerd. Like sumodb but flashier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSoCNZPjNLo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

well that certainly cleared things up!

i've just watched an excellent video recounting an interview with hakuho. he talks extremely candidly about aspects of his style including his use of the slap in his tachi-ai and the reasons he does it. the man is a born competitor. he's smart, ruthless, and driven. the more i hear from him the more i like and respect him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmQ5yQUYFhQ

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Y/O: Hakuho/Takakeisho/Kakuryu
S/K: Abi/Takayasu/Asanoyama
M1-5: Mitakeumi/Endo/Enho
M6-10: Tochinoshin/Aoiyama/Ishiura
M11+: Chiyomaru/Kagayaki/Kotoshogiku

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

So whose job is it to make the money by cutting all the ceremonial stuff out and selling/streaming just the actual fights?

With Kinta supposedly retiring, Natto sumo on YouTube is probably the go to for the matches if you just want all the fights for the day.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

well that certainly cleared things up!

As far as I can tell, its a sumo exclamation that doesn't mean anything. Like grunting while lifting weights, but sports specific. Its also used as a refrain in sumo songs (jinku).

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Elissimpark posted:

As far as I can tell, its a sumo exclamation that doesn't mean anything. Like grunting while lifting weights, but sports specific. Its also used as a refrain in sumo songs (jinku).

i'm sort of disappointed. everything in sumo seems to have a meaning! is there a particular time (outside of sumo songs, something i have to hear) when rikishi say this or is it used casually and often?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Okay, here are my picks!

Y/O: Takakeisho / Hakuho / Kakuryu
S/K: Asanoyama / Takayasu / Daiesho
M1-5: Mitakeumi / Hokutofuji / Tamawashi
M6-10: Yutakayama / Ryuden / Onosho
M11+: Kiribayama / Kaisei / Terutsuyoshi

I'm going to try and do the draft tomorrow before everyone goes to bed, so you can know who to root for! Please have your picks in by noon Pacific time. This is a nice big league, and the Y/O ranks are a little sparse, so we'll probably be a bit permissive with how many people can have a wrestler there, but I'll see once everything is lined up.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

wasn't sure how this worked at first but i'm in:

Y/O: Hakuho/Kakuryu/Takakeisho
S/K: Asanoyama/Daiesho/Takayasu
M1-5: Mitakeumi/Endo/Enho
M6-10:Ishiura/Ryuden/Aoiyama
M11+:Ikioi/Kotoshogiku/Terutsuyoshi

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

i'm sort of disappointed. everything in sumo seems to have a meaning! is there a particular time (outside of sumo songs, something i have to hear) when rikishi say this or is it used casually and often?

I've never heard it. Even when a yokozuna stamps his foot, the crowd says "Yosh" or "Yoshha" and the word "dosucoi" totally doesn't drop from the sky.

drat you, Psycho Fox, why did you lie to me?!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/NhkSumo/status/1215946630932893696

Here's Araiso Oyakata (Kisenosato) practicing with Asanoyama.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Brut posted:

https://twitter.com/NhkSumo/status/1215946630932893696

Here's Araiso Oyakata (Kisenosato) practicing with Asanoyama.

it cannot be good for your brain to accelerate into a 160kg brick wall 20 times every day. why would you not just start from like a neutral position to minimise brain damage and train your tachi-ai with a little bit more regard for your brain.

trivia question: what's the lowest rank to have won a sumo title?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Quick tangent: does anybody here actually like watching the ceremonial stuff?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

trivia question: what's the lowest rank to have won a sumo title?

Before what's considered the "Modern sumo era" there's a record of Dewaminato winning from M17w with a 13-0 in 1939:

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_rank=M17&form1_y=on

M16/M15 comes up blank, but at M14 there is a 1914 Yusho by Ryogoku with a 9-0-1 record. I don't know what the hell either one of these scores mean other than "no losses" since these are using old systems.

As for the modern era, Tamanoumi won his first and only Yusho in 1957 with a 15-0 record from M14e, however earlier that same year he posted two 11-4 records from the Sekiwake rank, he found himself at M14 due to pulling out of half of one tournament and an entire additional one.

Fast forward to history that someone posting here might even have seen live, Takatoriki got a Yusho with a 13-2 record, also from M14e, losing only to both the Hawaiian Yokozuna Akebono and Musashimaru, who he was matched against on days 13 and 14 due to his exceptional performance.

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Query.aspx?show_form=0&form1_rank=M14&form1_y=on

Brut fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Quick tangent: does anybody here actually like watching the ceremonial stuff?

Some of it, the ring entering ceremonies are alright since you get to see all the goofy pictures on the Kesho-Mawashi and the Rikishi themselves sometimes do funny stuff like bump in to each other, though that mostly happens in Jungyo and not during a live Basho.

Retirement ceremonies can be cool to see too, though good footage is rare.

If I'm not watching live whether or not I fast forward through a lot of the foot stomping/salt throwing stuff will depend on who the commentator for the day is and if anything/anyone interesting is visible in the crowds.

Brut fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 11, 2020