Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

oxsnard posted:

This vox piece was good re: black voters

https://www.vox.com/identities/2019/11/4/20926701/black-voters-democratic-primary-2020

Blows my mind that Obama and Clinton were 50:50 among black voters in the South

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/1172549979602161665?s=20

Elderly black democrats tend to align closely with elderly white democrats in their support. It's almost like both groups have their perception of electability shaped by the same sources: the media and the democratic party machine. It would be nice if journalists actually examined this instead of defaulting to the most reductive explanation possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Bloomberg is gonna go all in trying to snag NY. Not even necessarily in the primary but in the general.

It has no sore loser law.
If Bernie gains EVs from trump but bloomy just barely snatches my it's a congressional vote for president. Bloomy goes all in on don't vote for the commie.
Shooting starts.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nobody in New York likes Mike Bloomberg. Even in his own fever dream scenario where he runs for president as a third party against Trump and Sanders and Texas somehow becomes a toss-up state, his consultants don't predict him winning NY.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
holy loving poo poo i can't loving wait to loving vote for loving BERNIE SANDERS

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/Relentlessbored/status/1215716884542316546?s=20

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The list of purchasers for this monstrosity will come in handy when the Bernard deathsquads are doing their first roundups

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chasten is not a goddamn name.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Chasten is not a goddamn name.
Chasten "Chasin' Butt" Buttigieg

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

it looks like a buttplug

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Pete Buttigieg reddit reacts to latest poll

quote:

this is the best possible news, if it showed us at 30 right now that would be counter to the motivating force required to pull this thing home
-
It’s always fun and exciting to be in the lead but that also comes with higher expectations. I’d rather have Pete surge the last week. Most of the drop in support seems to have gone to undecideds and not to Biden which I think is the most important thing for Pete.
-
We all wanted to see Pete's numbers go parabolic, but the silver linings to remember here are:
It's one poll.
We're well within striking distance of 1st.
The person in front now rarely goes on to actually win it.
And perhaps most importantly, we're not left with any room for complacency.
Now is not the time for ruminating over poll numbers. Now is the time to get our man across the finish line!
High hopes, people! Remember who and what we're working for.
-
Bruh I'm sorry, he's a nice man, but no. Enough with the fossils in the white house.
It's a job not a retirement home. Same goes to Biden and Trump obviously as well.
-
Maybe this means they'll start properly vetting Bernie now. Why won't he release his health records as promised? He's an old man who just had a heart attack. That should be big pundit discussions and he should be asked about that at every venue. What about this pseudo PAC? His temperament? The poll also said people wanted someone to unite the country. Does anyone believe Bernie will do that? Especially with his trouble-making followers? Every pundit should harp and harp on this stuff. It's about time the people at MSNBC do their jobs. Quit fixating on Pete's AA support and fixate on Bernie and his problems for a change. Or we will wind up with Trump again.
-
The big thing to keep in mind, especially when it comes to Bernie, is his main demographic is less likely to go vote than other demographics. I’m hoping this helps, and for me, it at least knocks his polling down a few points to account for what the real turnout will be.

Warren I’d say is 50/50. She’s got a lot of cross generational support, but I also imagine her younger voters are less fired up than Bernie’s and less likely to turn out than Bernie’s. However, since she’s got support from all groups, I wouldn’t lower her too much.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

This was 10000% commissioned by Butts at great expense. This is as cringe inducing as that Mayo Pete get happy dance, or the Hamilton with Chasten event that somehow resulted with Pete taking a posed photo in a holocaust monument.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Has Pete ever done the dance? Will his supporters ever realize how much disdain Pete has for them?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

More importantly, has Pete seen the time knife?

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
This coming debate should be good.

Bernie's been telegraphing some Biden attacks
Warren will probably keep up the heat on Pete
Biden and Pete are going to try and drag Bernie down somehow, though I don't really know how'd they'd do it
Klobuchar will do something pathetic
Steyer will be forgettable

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

This coming debate should be good.

Bernie's been telegraphing some Biden attacks
Warren will probably keep up the heat on Pete
Biden and Pete are going to try and drag Bernie down somehow, though I don't really know how'd they'd do it
Klobuchar will do something pathetic
Steyer will be forgettable

I think Biden will just try to ignore Bernie. There's not really a safe angle where he has some sort of moral high ground to hit Bernie from, so his best move is gonna be to ignore any provocations and make a positive case for himself as the "electable" candidate.

I could see Pete trying to bring up that investigation of Jane (don't even remember what that was about, something about a college or real estate or something?) or the letter, but Bernie will be able to brush those off. We know from Peter "I'm Woke Now" Daou that the oppo file on Bernie is pretty thin so there's not likely to be some bombshell they can throw. And of course if Pete is forced to fend off Warren and Klob like at the last debate he won't really have a chance to hit at Bernie at all absent some moderator prompting.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Another one for the "People choose candidates for the dumbest reasons" file:

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1216037353426321410
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1216042068868464641

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
tbf Bloomberg is actually insanely rich, unlike Trump.

It's still a dumb as hell argument

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Voters are dumb

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

oxsnard posted:

Bloomberg has also actually held political office before. Of course his tenure left him despised by his constituency, so that's not a great argument either.

Steyer and Bloomberg are both pissing away millions to get 5% on voting day and exactly zero delegates. It's really hard to imagine the sort of person who actually shows up excited for Bloomberg as president, or see his dumb ad on tv or Hulu and goes "oh good, ACCESS to healthcare! Finally the words I was waiting to hear!" and turns out ready to fight and caucus for him.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

Another one for the "People choose candidates for the dumbest reasons" file:

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1216037353426321410

When your hearing aid broke and your big takeaway from the conversation was vote jew no matter who.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Is there any truth to Dems potentially losing a lot of house seats if Bernie is at the top of the ticket?
I hear a lot of congresspeople are super nervous about Bernie causing a Republican landslide in the house and senate.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Is there any truth to Dems potentially losing a lot of house seats if Bernie is at the top of the ticket?
I hear a lot of congresspeople are super nervous about Bernie causing a Republican landslide in the house and senate.

Why would there be any truth to anything that congresspeople say?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Kraftwerk posted:

Obama and Clinton being at the top of the ballot caused over 10,000 losses nationwide for the democrats, I doubt Bernie could do worse.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kraftwerk posted:

They're worried about getting primaried, not losing to Republicans.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Unironically, this article is better political analysis than anything CNN has ever done

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1216050850419953664?s=20

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

They're trying to convince people he'll lose and that his loss will have a cascading effect down ticket. It's an attack on his electability which is the only thing holding him back in polls with (older) voters.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kraftwerk posted:

It's all true.

They'll lose a lot of seats to the new leftist party headed by AOC.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Bloomberg has also actually held political office before. Of course his tenure left him despised by his constituency, so that's not a great argument either.

Steyer and Bloomberg are both pissing away millions to get 5% on voting day and exactly zero delegates. It's really hard to imagine the sort of person who actually shows up excited for Bloomberg as president, or see his dumb ad on tv or Hulu and goes "oh good, ACCESS to healthcare! Finally the words I was waiting to hear!" and turns out ready to fight and caucus for him.

I'm no fan of Steyer, but he absolutely will rally around candidate Sanders. Bloomberg is much more likely to pull strings behind the scenes

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Gripweed posted:

Unironically, this article is better political analysis than anything CNN has ever done

Thankfully fight is already selected.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Gripweed posted:

They miscast Trump as Fire, when they should have gone with Steel, which takes reduced damage from Normal and is weak against Fighting. Plus that would open the opportunity for jokes about tariffs and steel/steal for election fraud.

Poison would probably be more accurate, but it doesn't line up well with the core gag.

Edit: Also, if Trump was Fire type, a Water type like Rubio would have crushed him in 2016.

Thoom fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 11, 2020

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

oxsnard posted:

Trump is also obscenely wealthy

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

Trump is also obscenely wealthy

His net worth is probably negative, as he needs to keep debt payments up to not default. It's a very different situation from Bloomberg

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

oxsnard posted:

His net worth is probably negative, as he needs to keep debt payments up to not default. It's a very different situation from Bloomberg

This reminds me of when Bernie got 4 Pinocchio’s for saying the 1% have more wealth than the bottom 50, and Glen Kessler said “uhh they actually have negative net wealth, so it’s a bad comparison “

Trump is extremely rich. Richer than Steyer. Bloomberg is much richer than both.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

oxsnard posted:

Yes, but Trump appears wealthy. That is, he maintains an illusion of wealth. Reality is demonstrably less important than appearances.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

oxsnard posted:

This is meaningless, because someone with Trump's assets and reputation effectively has access to almost infinite loans.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

oxsnard posted:

Oh my god he has so much money he's caused a stack overflow. The last few years make a bit more sense now.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

This is meaningless, because someone with Trump's assets and reputation effectively has access to almost infinite loans.

Yeah net worth doesn't matter. If you control millions or billions in assets you are wealthy. Control is what matters.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The "he's not really a billionaire" is probably the dumbest talking point ever employed against Trump.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I mean, he's obviously ~rich~ and part of the capitalist class, but his situation is such that he's extremely susceptible to compromising situations. It's not even close to being the same as Bloomberg, that's all I'm saying. Bloomberg is a horrible candidate for many reasons, but it's totally different from trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
One big way Trump and Bloomberg are different is that Bloomberg is inside what has traditionally been called "The Elite" whereas Trump has always been excluded from those circles for a variety of reasons.

And Streyer makes perfect sense if you think he is setting up for a california senate run. Hes wanted that for a long time. The plan was to outperform Kalama in the california primary to make his case. Kamala dropping out threw a bit of a wrench in that plan but he knows he will still get good Intel out of his primary.