Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Every time Apollo Justice appears he seem to have an entirely new backstory. First he's connected to a troupe of magicians, then he's old friends with an astronaut, then it turns out he was adopted by a foreign revolutionary. In Ace Attorney 9 it'll turn out he's from a clan of vampire prosecutors.

He just lived a Very Interesting Life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

oldpainless posted:

In just cause 4 it’s hard to get anywhere quickly and the driving feels off

The driving is shameful, but wingsuiting at 200 km/h gets you places pretty fast!

I just bought Disgaea for the Switch and playing it from the beginning again made me realize how linear the early progression is. It takes forever to get anything good in the Item World if you go too early, everything in the Dark Assembly costs too much (money or mana) and is too difficult to fight for, so your best option is to grind story maps that are obviously made for grinding. I do remember that once you get one character through the soul-crushing grind of Cave of Ordeals 3, the grind gets fun, but I also remember it taking a while...

I'm also trying really hard to like Need for Speed: Heat, and I kind of do when I'm racing, but I think the game is kind of a loner and pushes people away without realizing it. There are a LOT of little annoyances, but I think the thing dragging it down the most is that if your car's rating is even a little bit over a race's recommended level, the race is piss easy, but if it's even a tiny bit under, you can't do better than like 5th place. Doesn't matter though, because for most events, finishing 5th just means you get 85% of the prize money and the event still gets marked as cleared.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Every time Apollo Justice appears he seem to have an entirely new backstory. First he's connected to a troupe of magicians, then he's old friends with an astronaut, then it turns out he was adopted by a foreign revolutionary. In Ace Attorney 9 it'll turn out he's from a clan of vampire prosecutors.

This sounds like the opposite of something that would drag a game down

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Dash Rendar posted:

not at all where i was going with that. sometimes people post a PYF little thing dragging down a game and i'm all like "huh, that's funny--i loved that"

Nah, nah, I wasn't slagging on you, just speaking generally.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
The music in Dragon Quest XI on Switch is still terrible. The tracks themselves aren't so bad, although they're not that good, either, they're just completely unmemorable and average JRPG songs. But there's only about six of them in the game. There's no musical variety at all - most towns just use the same music track (Hotto had its own music, which was surprising. I'm expecting Hotto's music will be used for all the Asia-inspired towns). For special/dramatic events, when they need exciting music, they just play the battle music. It gets tiresome less than ten hours in, which is bad because the game is supposed to be outrageously long like most JRPGs are, and it stands out really obviously because everything else in the game is really good with a very high level of attention to detail. There's a relatively minor bonus part of the game where you can enter "corrupted" 8-bit areas to fix them - the "corrupted" 8-bit music is so intolerable I have to literally mute the game until I finish the little bonus scenario.

They re-recorded most of the MIDI songs and they're orchestrated by a real orchestra, so the sound quality is alright, but every now and then you will encounter a regular MIDI track, and it's pretty jarring. It's pretty funny that the game pops up a little message in the beginning saying that it's prohibited to stream DQXI with the sole purpose of listening to its music - I think most people who've played it have already had more than enough. Apparently, this is all because the game's composer is a hateful, egotistical old prick. It's a real shame.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Speaking of DQXI, isn't it the first game in the series with a unique title for your hero (the Luminary)? It was really weird when Smash used "The Hero" anyway, so I'm probably remembering something wrong

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Riatsala posted:

I've always wished that FFVII was just the Midgar sequence but 70 hours long.

You'll probably enjoy the remake then

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ruffian Price posted:

Speaking of DQXI, isn't it the first game in the series with a unique title for your hero (the Luminary)? It was really weird when Smash used "The Hero" anyway, so I'm probably remembering something wrong

They couldn't use "Luminary" for Smash with all the alternate skins, and for a series as venerated as DQ they couldn't not do alternate skins.

Casey Finnigan posted:

Apparently, this is all because the game's composer is a hateful, egotistical old prick. It's a real shame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfdFU3O3nf8
Also a Nanjing Massacre Denier, and anti-LGBTQ+

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Akira Toriyama has been creator the Dragonball, a consultant on Dragonball Super, and the character artist for Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger. Please don't tell me he's a shithead too.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Riatsala posted:

Good news!

Probably won't be 70 hours, but I image that they've padded the gently caress out of it since it seems to be just Midgar.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Akira Toriyama has been creator the Dragonball, a consultant on Dragonball Super, and the character artist for Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger. Please don't tell me he's a shithead too.

Toriyama mostly seems to keep his personal life and opinions out of the media. The worst I've ever seen him dragged for is an off color joke he made that was pretty much "Being near sighted sucks. When I have to take my glasses off at the beach, I can't see all the hot ladies!" in like...the 80s. There may be other stuff out there, and people might certainly have issues with some of the sexual jokes in his stuff, but otherwise he just mostly seems to keep his head down.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Casey Finnigan posted:

The music in Dragon Quest XI on Switch is still terrible. The tracks themselves aren't so bad, although they're not that good, either, they're just completely unmemorable and average JRPG songs. But there's only about six of them in the game. There's no musical variety at all - most towns just use the same music track (Hotto had its own music, which was surprising. I'm expecting Hotto's music will be used for all the Asia-inspired towns). For special/dramatic events, when they need exciting music, they just play the battle music. It gets tiresome less than ten hours in, which is bad because the game is supposed to be outrageously long like most JRPGs are, and it stands out really obviously because everything else in the game is really good with a very high level of attention to detail. There's a relatively minor bonus part of the game where you can enter "corrupted" 8-bit areas to fix them - the "corrupted" 8-bit music is so intolerable I have to literally mute the game until I finish the little bonus scenario.

They re-recorded most of the MIDI songs and they're orchestrated by a real orchestra, so the sound quality is alright, but every now and then you will encounter a regular MIDI track, and it's pretty jarring. It's pretty funny that the game pops up a little message in the beginning saying that it's prohibited to stream DQXI with the sole purpose of listening to its music - I think most people who've played it have already had more than enough. Apparently, this is all because the game's composer is a hateful, egotistical old prick. It's a real shame.

I really like the Overture that plays before the title screen hits but the rest is definitely getting old

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Toriyama mostly seems to keep his personal life and opinions out of the media. The worst I've ever seen him dragged for is an off color joke he made that was pretty much "Being near sighted sucks. When I have to take my glasses off at the beach, I can't see all the hot ladies!" in like...the 80s. There may be other stuff out there, and people might certainly have issues with some of the sexual jokes in his stuff, but otherwise he just mostly seems to keep his head down.

I tried watching the original dragonball but it showed way too much of goku's dragonballs

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Master Roshi is basically Toriyama’s self-insert, then?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

MiddleOne posted:

Replaying through FF7 on the Switch. Something I have to say is that the main quest direction of this game is an absolute mess. At almost no point after the Midgar intro is it ever 100% clear where you're supposed to be going, or even really what you're doing, as you stumble across the continents. Sometimes you'll arrive at a location and there's just nothing there as you've broken the linear sequence the game operates on. Other times you'll leave locations wondering if you didn't really miss something since, while something plot-related happened, progression-wise you didn't get anything.

Are you sure you’re not just skipping through the text a lot? I distinctly remember being told several times where to go next whenever leaving town

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve gotten every Steam achievement for all four Shovel Knight campaigns, and my desire for completion is dragging the experience down by forcing me to do it for the Smash Bros-esque Shovel Knight Showdown part too.

It can be fun, but I’m pretty meh on doing it. Each character has an achievement and most can be done with me operating two players on my Xbox controller and the keyboard, but a few can’t.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Take a deep breath, and step back from the cheevos.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

The vampire prosecutor was in the prequels. So it wouldn't be that weird.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kit Walker posted:

Are you sure you’re not just skipping through the text a lot? I distinctly remember being told several times where to go next whenever leaving town

Knowing the name of a place rarely helps very much. There's also a lot of locations that just kinda exist until they're plot relevant or that never really serve a purpose. The vaguely stated goal is "pursue Sephiroth" but a lot of actions don't really make sense within that framework either.

I didn't remember it being this bad either, but it really is.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Riatsala posted:

Veotax posted:

Good news!

Probably won't be 70 hours, but I image that they've padded the gently caress out of it since it seems to be just Midgar.

A couple people have mentioned that it'll be around 30 hours or so, more if you go sidequest heavy?

They'll probably be making FFVIIREMAKE episodes for the entire next console generation.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you mean one more episode that takes the whole generation, yes.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

MiddleOne posted:

Knowing the name of a place rarely helps very much. There's also a lot of locations that just kinda exist until they're plot relevant or that never really serve a purpose. The vaguely stated goal is "pursue Sephiroth" but a lot of actions don't really make sense within that framework either.

I didn't remember it being this bad either, but it really is.

Right now I'm playing the FF8 HD remake and I know I'm supposed to go to Estar, and I know where Estar is, but Estar is on a continent surrounded by sheer cliffs and mountain ranges and the Garden can't cross those and I don't know how I'm supposed to reach it and that's where I stopped a few months ago.

It didn't help me get back to it that I bought a million games between then and now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You either go see Rinoa in the infirmary or go to the town on the bridge. Either bumps the plot forward.

The game doesn't really tell you.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

If you mean one more episode that takes the whole generation, yes.
:hmmyes:

Unless a gave dev company has gone completely against all established patterns of the industry in the last four decades and somehow developed so much content that they're really just waiting to drop the hammer and make a "year of FFVII Remake," this is going to be the case.

Which is doubly weird, the nostalgia market for FFVII really isn't that big. I mean it's big, but they're developing it like it'll underwrite their next 20 years of projects.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Square-Enix has had issues for years with having projects balloon out of proportion. This project was started probably long before we even heard of it and ff7 nostalgia has since waned but theyre so deep in it now they feel committed.

FF14 feels like the only thing getting a reasonable release schedule.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Square-Enix has had issues for years with having projects balloon out of proportion. This project was started probably long before we even heard of it and ff7 nostalgia has since waned but theyre so deep in it now they feel committed.

It still stuns me to this day how much resources they pooled into FF13 to ultimately produce so very little.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I had completely forgotten about FFXIII. Yeah that makes sense. Wow that company really has gone way too deep into believing its own hype about Final Fantasy as a brand.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

They actually announced it before starting proper development on it. But it's taken 4 years.

A large part of that is art and stuff which will not need to be redone for future episodes, but they're also hitting the less linear open world stuff full of optional events.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

MiddleOne posted:

It still stuns me to this day how much resources they pooled into FF13 to ultimately produce so very little.

Wasn't 15 also originally another 13 spinoff?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yes.

It makes me wonder where these young, rich aristocrat-like game directors come from that they can hijack Square-Enix's flagship brand to such ridiculous budgets and timelines just to tell stories about their waifus and/or best bros.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

VanSandman posted:

Wasn't 15 also originally another 13 spinoff?

You got it backwards. 13 was a spin-off from 15

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Yes.

It makes me wonder where these young, rich aristocrat-like game directors come from that they can hijack Square-Enix's flagship brand to such ridiculous budgets and timelines just to tell stories about their waifus and/or best bros.

SE's game development is a ramshackle disaster because nearly all the directorial and project management positions are filled by senior employees immune to consequences

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

oldpainless posted:

You got it backwards. 13 was a spin-off from 15

Nah, 13 was always the main 13, 15 was the spinoff / side game called versus 13. There was also a third game in the same project but I don't recall it's name.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Hel posted:

Nah, 13 was always the main 13, 15 was the spinoff / side game called versus 13. There was also a third game in the same project but I don't recall it's name.

type-0, can't remember what it was originally called when it was a part of the 13 saga

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

They called it Fabula Nova Crystallis and yeah 15 and type-0 were supposed to be in the same world before being made into new projects. They ultimately just made -2 and -3 to reuse assets and while they were decent they didnt exactly set the world ablaze. Such a strange little anomaly.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Final Fantasy game today is expensive as gently caress to make so trying to make each one a whole franchise that can reuse a bunch of assets isn't a terrible plan.

But when the games aren't good that's when things go into panic mode.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RagnarokAngel posted:

They called it Fabula Nova Crystallis and yeah 15 and type-0 were supposed to be in the same world before being made into new projects. They ultimately just made -2 and -3 to reuse assets and while they were decent they didnt exactly set the world ablaze. Such a strange little anomaly.

13-2 was weirdly good. Never got around to 3 though.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Final Fantasy XII had that weird single player MMO-approach and a full expansion disk worth of content they never bothered to translate to anything else than Japanese.

Its an understatement to say that Square Enix had "issues" between FFX-2 to FFXIII, and that one vanity movie project which almost capsized the studio also fits to that era.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

For 12 do you mean the zodiac edition? Because they had been doing that since 7 with the international editions. Japan was a more lucrative market to sell people the same RPG twice and figured it wouldnt work in the west (Madden/Fifa joke goes here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

SE's game development is a ramshackle disaster because nearly all the directorial and project management positions are filled by senior employees immune to consequences

That makes sense, albeit weird when I consider how young some of them seem. Then again viewing FFXIII and FFXV through the "otaku mid-life crisis" lens explains a hell of a lot

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 19:25 on Jan 13, 2020