Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caedes
Aug 30, 2002

My wedding band is almost an exact clone of 'THE PEACEKEEPER' and I really like it :(

But I'm pretty sure it was just called 'tungsten ring with blue stripe'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

you're a cop now

also somewhat related my insurance member number starts 1312 lol

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Was told to post this here, this is why I left my home town:

https://twitter.com/mortimer_1/status/1215050515651776512

New progressive government scared off all the flippers/money launderers (15 years too late) so this has become a common thing. House construction was abandoned for at least two years, and in Vancouver weather that means you'll need to tear it all down if you care about whoever buys it.

That Twitter account is nothing but hosed up poo poo happening in Vancouver, which is beyond-San Francisco levels of "hosed by capitalism" IMO.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Got ya covered.

Haven't giggled this hard in a while.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Was told to post this here, this is why I left my home town:

https://twitter.com/mortimer_1/status/1215050515651776512

New progressive government scared off all the flippers/money launderers (15 years too late) so this has become a common thing. House construction was abandoned for at least two years, and in Vancouver weather that means you'll need to tear it all down if you care about whoever buys it.

That Twitter account is nothing but hosed up poo poo happening in Vancouver, which is beyond-San Francisco levels of "hosed by capitalism" IMO.

Vancouver got hosed very specifically by the free movement of capital from prc through HK lol

you guys clamped down on that poo poo and it all poured down to Seattle, and Amazon going thermonuclear has sustained it

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

T-man posted:

you're a cop now

LMao somehow I didnt make the connection that the ring has a thin blue line

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
the only cop in here is Squizzle

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

T-man posted:

you're a cop now

another nugget of data for my goon spreadsheet

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Vancouver got hosed very specifically by the free movement of capital from prc through HK lol

you guys clamped down on that poo poo and it all poured down to Seattle, and Amazon going thermonuclear has sustained it

I've got a couple Amazon friends that are leaving Seattle because it's impossible to buy a condo. They look at 2br/1b for $400k, like it and the realtor says that someone has already made $1m cash offer on it.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

lancemantis posted:

I think wedding bands like that exist

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Got ya covered.

this goatse ring needs to have a ring, preferably a goatse ring which is itself wearing an even smaller goatse ring

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Caedes posted:

My wedding band is almost an exact clone of 'THE PEACEKEEPER' and I really like it :(

But I'm pretty sure it was just called 'tungsten ring with blue stripe'

do you know how much you paid for it, cause i also like it but i don't need ~MAN CAVE MAN TESTO-HEMI FORD BUILT TOUGH FREEDOM RANCH EDITION~ ring markup

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I've got a couple Amazon friends that are leaving Seattle because it's impossible to buy a condo. They look at 2br/1b for $400k, like it and the realtor says that someone has already made $1m cash offer on it.

good we hate your friends and the rear end in a top hat that's paying them bubble wages please tell them to leave faster

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Are we finally having a housing crash

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
no

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
ok

...how about now

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Vancouver is definitely mid-housing crash. But that's a unique market.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shame Boy posted:

Tungsten rings with those kinds of designs have been around for a long time, and cost way less than they're charging. Then again, why get these things for $25 when you can pay $300 for one called THE THIN BLUE LINE ALL LIVES MATTER EDITION SECOND AMENDMENT RING or w/e

What’s the point of tungsten?

More exotic than steel or aluminum while not costing as much as the precious metals so they can pass the savings on to you swallow a huge markup?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Platystemon posted:

More exotic than steel or aluminum while not costing as much as the precious metals so they can pass the savings on to you swallow a huge markup?

They shatter rather than rip your finger off when caught on something etc

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's also great for tank ammo.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Lambert posted:

It's also great for tank ammo.

Depleted uranium :getin:

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Tungsten has an extremely high melting point, highest of any pure metal (which is why it's in lightbulbs, gets you closest to white light) and is almost as hard as diamond, huge tensile strength and very hard to work with. Good choice for Manly Metal TM

It's also pretty corrosion resistant, good enough for jewelry I guess. Nice to have a ring that you maybe can't resize, scratch, or otherwise do anything to alter good or bad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm surprised there aren't more reality TV shows where the winner just gets their student loan debt erased

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Len posted:

I'm surprised there aren't more reality TV shows where the winner just gets their student loan debt erased

Linear TV doesn't have high enough budgets anymore

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

tungsten is also 99.7% as dense as gold, so a tungsten ring actually feels hefty to wear - aluminum is like a sixth the density and feels flimsy in comparison

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Outside of actually getting married. Getting a sweet ring was what I was looking forward to the most. Jewelry is cool as heck just lmao if your fragile masculinity is threatened by jewelry

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Wife bought a $500 tungsten ring for me that doesn't fit anymore. I got a $14 one from Amazon and there's no difference.

Now I wear a $0.75 ring made out of silicone

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

a cock ring from a truck stop bathroom vending machine heyoo

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I’d be afraid of a tungsten ring cause In an emergency an Emt can’t cut it like gold or silver.

Mine is a plain hammered gold band but you can barely see the dents anymore so it looks almost smooth now

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Got ya covered.

"I would almost wear that, just for you" said my wife. I love her

i have a tungsten ring but it is heavy as poo poo and it isnt comfortable typing with it on, so I eventually just started leaving it at home, and now I have no idea where it is :shrug:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

My bff seemed unimpressed with my "goatse ring tax dodge marriage" idea :'(

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

https://simpsonswiki.com/wiki/Allen_Wrench

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Wedding is a lovely institution that should be banned. At least gold and silver wedding rings can be confiscated, then melted down and sold for money to buy food for the homeless.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Modest Mao posted:

Tungsten has an extremely high melting point, highest of any pure metal (which is why it's in lightbulbs, gets you closest to white light) and is almost as hard as diamond, huge tensile strength and very hard to work with. Good choice for Manly Metal TM

It's also pretty corrosion resistant, good enough for jewelry I guess. Nice to have a ring that you maybe can't resize, scratch, or otherwise do anything to alter good or bad.

The rings are actually made out of tungsten carbide because "tungsten is too hard to work", as far as I can tell you can't actually get pure tungsten rings easily (and if you can I'd like to know)

I looked into it before because I don't have any particular fondness for gold, and I think tungsten is a neat element and would be tough and wear-resistant and less lol monkey cheese than titanium :shrug:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

If the OHSA thread has taught me anything it's that wearing rings is for people who want to get degloved.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

I’d be afraid of a tungsten ring cause In an emergency an Emt can’t cut it like gold or silver.

They can just crack it with a vice to shatter it, or hit it with a hammer. All things being equal, the fact that they will shatter instead of squishing in on your finger makes them a little safer in case of an accident

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Inceltown posted:

If the OHSA thread has taught me anything it's that wearing rings is for people who want to get degloved.

My grandpa lost feeling in his ring finger (and his entire pinky finger and one eye) thanks to shrapnel in WWII. After the war he worked as a mechanic, and one day he was fixing a car and smelled grilled meat, looked down and saw that his ring had shorted out the car battery and was glowing red hot :v:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Head wound or arm wound?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Head wound or arm wound?

Kinda both, I meant he completely lost his entire pinky finger and had one eye destroyed enough that he couldn't use it and all they could do was repair it for aesthetics. He was a combat engineer and was defusing a Japanese landmine, got the detonator out of the main body only to have it go off in his hand. At least he managed to get it that far or he'd definitely have been sent home in several small boxes instead, and I wouldn't exist and you'd all be spared my terrible posts etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ah, okay.

Just asking because my dissertation involved going through a lot of case reports of anesthesia caused by shrapnel wounds.