Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

oxsnard posted:

His net worth is probably negative, as he needs to keep debt payments up to not default. It's a very different situation from Bloomberg

I would imagine Trump LLC is on the hook for all that debt, not Trump himself. Obviously he has some personal assets as collateral for some debt, but he'd still be pretty drat well off even if is "empire" went down in flames.

EDIT: Tax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Kamala getting primaried by Steyer would be loving hilarious tbh

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Nairbo posted:

Kamala getting primaried by Steyer would be loving hilarious tbh

Because of the jungle primary system in California the most likely outcome would be Harris and Steyer facing off in the general.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I mean we all laugh at Steyer, but based solely on his issues page, he'd come in to the left of 90% of the senate

thewalk
Mar 16, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was great seeing her just ignore McCain but her health care plan doesn't raise enough and caving to the no tax on the middle class bullshit is disqualifying.

She has to get elected. Just like that....disqualified. interesting

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

oxsnard posted:

I mean we all laugh at Steyer, but based solely on his issues page, he'd come in to the left of 90% of the senate

Maybe Feinstein will wake up and realize she belongs nowhere near the Senate, immediately resign, and spend her time just telling telling her own grandkids that they're dumbshits who don't know how things work.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Gyges posted:

Maybe Feinstein will wake up and realize she belongs nowhere near the Senate, immediately resign, and spend her time just telling telling her own grandkids that they're dumbshits who don't know how things work.
She's going to die in office, she's like 85 already

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kraftwerk posted:

Is there any truth to Dems potentially losing a lot of house seats if Bernie is at the top of the ticket?
I hear a lot of congresspeople are super nervous about Bernie causing a Republican landslide in the house and senate.

Log off for like two weeks, man. You keep up with these chicken little posts believing all the negative nonsense out there you won't do anyone any good.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Nate Silver posted:

Biden, for instance, would be a heavy favorite if he wins Iowa, with an 80 percent chance of a delegate majority and an 84 percent chance of a plurality. His majority chances would fall to 20 percent following an Iowa loss, however. Sanders would be a slight favorite to win a majority after an Iowa win, with a 61 percent chance, but his majority chances would fall to 8 percent with a loss there. Warren would also be a slight favorite to win a delegate majority after an Iowa win, but Buttigieg would not be (although his position would be substantially strengthened).

These scenarios account for Iowa wins of all shapes and sizes — big, emphatic wins and narrow, perhaps even disputed ones. With a landslide win in Iowa, Sanders might be a fairly heavy overall favorite for the nomination. If Iowa were a four-way pileup instead — with Sanders narrowly winning and Biden in a strong second place, for instance — Sanders’s projected bounce might not be enough to help him overtake Biden in national polls and the nomination could remain fairly open-ended.

Speaking of open-ended, the first three states all have highly uncertain outcomes. Biden is the nominal favorite to win Iowa, but has just a 33 percent chance of doing so. In New Hampshire, Sanders has a 31 percent chance and Biden is at 27 percent. And in Nevada, Biden has a 35 chance, with Sanders at 31 percent. Biden is a clearer front-runner in South Carolina — although even that lead might not be safe if he performed poorly in the first three states.

drawkcab si eman ym fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 11, 2020

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

They're desperate for a way to turbofuck Sanders out of the nomination, even if it means another 4 years of Trump.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/normmacdonald/status/1215024931383103488?s=20

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Trump isn't a billionaire and never was but he's still stupidly wealthy (his highest net worth was realistically in the 100-250 million dollar range) and there's a point where no matter how much you gently caress up you can't actually be out on the street. Plus his people were smart enough to put most of his personal debt into companies that went bankrupt. He's probably making the most money he ever has now that taxpayer dollars go directly to his companies.

Bloomberg being 100 times wealthier than Trump ever was is a knock against Bloomberg. Especially since he got rich in any even stupider way.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What I hope for is despite all of this obvious attempts at ratfucking that if Sanders or Warren or both manage to decisively beat Biden and Pete that it forces the establishment to grudgingly throw their weight behind them for the general so we avoid all of the "my candidate or bust" nonsense of the last election.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Raenir Salazar posted:

What I hope for is despite all of this obvious attempts at ratfucking that if Sanders or Warren or both manage to decisively beat Biden and Pete that it forces the establishment to grudgingly throw their weight behind them for the general so we avoid all of the "my candidate or bust" nonsense of the last election.

That happens every election. How quickly people forget the PUMAs.

Also Bernie or Bust.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

This is a weird endorsement video but she makes some good points and maybe will appeal to people who wouldn't otherwise consider Sanders?

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1215307665037037573

IDK man, I've lost the ability to parse so much of what happens now.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Endorsements are good, that's it. No need to overthink

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

oxsnard posted:

Endorsements are good, that's it. No need to overthink

She's also a famous internet person I think? So that means any messages she sends out on Instagram or twitter won't be censored, like it could on TV.

Politics becoming trendy is the best possible situation. Even if the fad runs out after the election, this is such a pivotal time for our country.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I love Norm as a comedian, but I always thought of him as a conservative (he’s always claimed to be apolitical but his general biases seemed to lean that way). So going #YangGang is kind of a step up for him and it warms my heart a little.

e: unless this is just him making a trademark bad joke sarcastically rather than sincerely. I don’t even know anymore.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Cpt_Obvious posted:

She's also a famous internet person I think? So that means any messages she sends out on Instagram or twitter won't be censored, like it could on TV.

Politics becoming trendy is the best possible situation. Even if the fad runs out after the election, this is such a pivotal time for our country.

I'm gonna have flashbacks to the "Vote or Die" and MoveOn stuff from 2004. That poo poo was corporate sponsored messaging masquerading as grassroots though

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

oxsnard posted:

I'm gonna have flashbacks to the "Vote or Die" and MoveOn stuff from 2004. That poo poo was corporate sponsored messaging masquerading as grassroots though

If p-Diddy needs to act like a complete moron on national television to get president Bernie, so be it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Warren has a new bankruptcy plan that is actually pretty good.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Buttigieg only had high high hopes for a minute.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

sports posted:

Buttigieg only had high high hopes for a minute.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Warren has a new bankruptcy plan that is actually pretty good.

:justpost:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

she also crossed a picket line in Nevada twice to stay at a hotel whose workers were on strike

Culinary v Stations is one of those things that has been going on forever and ever, including Culinary holding protests at the headquarters of UFC when they had the same ownership.

Culinary is one of the most well financed political players, could have bought Warren accommodations at another hotel if they really cared, and will probably endorse Anyone But Bernie because they’re concerned about M4A reducing labor’s need for the Union.

https://twitter.com/meganmesserly/status/1216066285697503232

Like when I keep telling progressives here that unions aren’t always their friend, southern Nevada Culinary is the one I keep bringing up. They keep endorsing and electing shitlibs over progressives over and over. They also gave us Representative Horsford over two progressives in a primary some years ago. They are closer aligned to capital than a general community wellbeing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Built 4 Cuban Linux posted:

Biden and Pete are going to try and drag Bernie down somehow, though I don't really know how'd they'd do it

They're going to shout "Gun control Brady bill" a thousand times

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Craptacular! posted:

Culinary is one of the most well financed political players, could have bought Warren accommodations at another hotel if they really cared, and will probably endorse Anyone But Bernie because they’re concerned about M4A reducing labor’s need for the Union.

This is loving stupid. "If the union cares so much about people crossing their picket lines, why don't they pay for people to use another service?"

I don't care if the union does things I disagree with. That doesn't make it ok to undermine them when they're negotiating with capital.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
"there are no bad unions" is something I struggle with because there are some seriously hosed up and corrupt unions

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I was hoping I read that wrong, because the idea of the union buying different accommodations is absurd.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

oxsnard posted:

"there are no bad unions" is something I struggle with because there are some seriously hosed up and corrupt unions

I know the police union is appropriately monstrous, what are some of the others?

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

kidkissinger posted:

This is loving stupid. "If the union cares so much about people crossing their picket lines, why don't they pay for people to use another service?"

I don't care if the union does things I disagree with. That doesn't make it ok to undermine them when they're negotiating with capital.

Isn’t that exactly what unions want?

Like when grocery store workers are striking they would prefer you go to a competitor rather than cross their picket line to shop at their store that they are currently on strike from.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

oxsnard posted:

Is there a single police union that’s good?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Judakel posted:

I was hoping I read that wrong, because the idea of the union buying different accommodations is absurd.

You’re right, but at the end of the day they’re more likely to endorse an incremental health plan like Warren’s regardless of picket lines because they’re with management in good healthcare being conditional to employment.

But I also have become somewhat inoculated against labor protests since moving to Las Vegas. There’s a “SHAME ON (OUTFIT)” banner and two boomers in lawn chairs anywhere in the valley every two weeks. We’re a long way from the heydays of the years-long picket of the New Frontier as great moments in labor go.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
This is good news and I hope Sanders doesn't stop him

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/11/us/politics/michael-bloomberg-spending.html

quote:

Michael Bloomberg Is Open to Spending $1 Billion to Defeat Trump

The Democratic presidential candidate said he would spend big even if the nominee was someone he had sharp differences with, like Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren.

By Lisa Lerer

SAN MARCOS, Texas — Michael R. Bloomberg on Saturday did not rule out spending a billion dollars of his own money on the 2020 presidential race, even if he does not win the Democratic nomination, and said he would mobilize his well-financed political operation to help Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren win in November if either is the party nominee, despite their sharp policy differences.

Mr. Bloomberg’s plans would effectively create a shadow campaign operation for the general election, complete with hundreds of organizers in key battleground states and a robust digital operation, ready to be inherited by the party nominee — regardless of who that nominee may be.

Already, Mr. Bloomberg has spent more than $200 million on advertising, putting him on pace to spend by early March about the same as what President Barack Obama’s campaign spent on advertising over the course of the entire 2012 general election. If Mr. Bloomberg fails to win the nomination, future spending would be redirected toward attacking Mr. Trump.

“It depends whether the candidate needs help; if they’re doing very well, they need less. If they’re not, they’ll need more,” he said in an interview after a lunch stop at a barbecue restaurant during a campaign swing through Texas.

While he did not rule out dropping a billion dollars on his effort, the former mayor of New York City blanched slightly at the size of the number, before mentioning the $2.8 billion he spent on charitable contributions last year, with the bulk going to his alma mater, Johns Hopkins University.

“You know how much money a billion dollars is?” said Mr. Bloomberg. “It’s a lot of money to me. It’s a lot of money to anybody.”

No firm decisions have been made about how his operation might transition to a general election, or what form it would take, but aides say hundreds of field organizers have been offered jobs through the general election. In Texas, where Mr. Bloomberg spent Saturday campaigning, he plans to open 17 offices and keep the “major ones” operational through the general election, he said. In 2018, Mr. Bloomberg spent more than $110 million to elect Democratic House members through his Super PAC, a vehicle that could be transitioned to assist with a general election effort.

His extraordinary wealth, estimated at more than $50 billion, has drawn a series of attacks from the liberal candidates in the field, who argue he is essentially trying to purchase the party nomination. Some of their aides also fear that Mr. Bloomberg could turn his massive machine against them in the primary, leveraging his spending to block them from capturing the nomination.

Mr. Bloomberg said he would mobilize his operation behind any of the Democratic candidates, even Ms. Warren, the Massachusetts senator, or Mr. Sanders, the Vermont senator. Mr. Bloomberg said he did not plan on running negative ads against any Democratic candidate, even those he strongly disagreed with.

“I really don’t agree with them,” he said, of Mr. Sanders and Ms. Warren, “but I’d still support them, yes, because compared to Donald Trump that’s easy.”

While most of the candidates are spending the bulk of their time in the first four primary states, Mr. Bloomberg is orienting his operation toward the Super Tuesday primaries in states like Texas on March 3, when about 40 percent of all the delegates are at stake.

With recent polling showing four candidates — Mr. Sanders, Ms. Warren, former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. and former Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind. — all in a position to win both Iowa and New Hampshire, Mr. Bloomberg could play an influential role in the primary process, once the race moves past the early contests. His aides have indicated that Mr. Bloomberg is not inclined to keep pouring money into an extended contest with Mr. Biden and would instead reorient his campaign into an organization dedicated to battering Mr. Trump, should the former vice president emerge as the leader in the race.

His spending, entirely self-funded, has meant that though Mr. Bloomberg meets the polling requirement for the party debates, he does not meet the donor qualifications for participating.

As he campaigned across Texas, Mr. Bloomberg cast that decision as a campaign strength, illustrating his independence from financial interests.

Yet he also criticized the party’s process, echoing concerns leveled by other candidates who say the rules set by the Democratic National Committee are excluding qualified contenders. Mr. Bloomberg will not appear on the debate stage on Tuesday, when the candidates meet in Des Moines for their final face-off before the Iowa caucuses.

“I think Cory Booker’s got a good complaint. If I wanted to complain, I could make a good case that it wasn’t fair,” he said. “In the meantime, while they’re debating, I’m out visiting a whole lot of people. I’m not wasting the time.”

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Kith posted:

I know the police union is appropriately monstrous, what are some of the others?

Longshoremen in some cities are very bad. I have observed some stuff from the "management side" so feel free to throw my observation in the trash.

(I've always been pro union, but became more fervent about it after this particular job fwiw)

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

RasperFat posted:

Isn’t that exactly what unions want?

Like when grocery store workers are striking they would prefer you go to a competitor rather than cross their picket line to shop at their store that they are currently on strike from.

yes, it's the part where he suggests the union should be paying for it that is the incredibly stupid part.

do notice that he's now just trying to convince us that "actually it's ok because this union endorses politicians that are bad" which is ridiculous. we don't give up solidarity that easily.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Unions are full of people and sometimes people are lovely, and there's plenty of cases where union leadership is colluding with management.

But unions are still the best tool available for reducing the power disparity between labor and capital and you work with the tools you have.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As far as second choice button for candidates who are not viable in a particular caucus, isn't Bernie generally second choice for Biden voters? And Biden's the one looking to come in under 15%

Though honestly any attempt to extrapolate second choice nonviable candidates based on general polling is a fools errand. Each candidate is going to be very popular in specific locations and the distribution of supporters will not be even

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

kidkissinger posted:

yes, it's the part where he suggests the union should be paying for it that is the incredibly stupid part.

do notice that he's now just trying to convince us that "actually it's ok because this union endorses politicians that are bad" which is ridiculous. we don't give up solidarity that easily.

Ah okay Warren’s campaign should have plenty of money to pay for a new hotel themselves.

But we do need union reforms in this country. Aren’t there some counterproductive rules about who’s allowed to lead unions, especially public ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

kidkissinger posted:

It’s a stupid passage of a rant that I’ve had for years.

Progressives thinking the Union here is on their side are just not correct. I try not to let that color my opinion of unions as a whole. There are good and bad unions, and the local union has had good and bad leadership over the decades, but it is my belief, from both meeting the leader (we went to the same caucus one year) as well as having supported candidates opposing their candidates in primaries, that as it is currently constructed it is neoliberals to the core.