Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Hellsau posted:

The first match after I tuned in was RUG Urza vs BUG Urza. Think I've had enough of that.

RUG Oko feat. Urza vs BUG Oko feat. Urza, more like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

The guy on Niv in that match is a fellow supporter of ShaneB's podcast!

Lawson grinds 5C Niv like crazy! He's a smart kid.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

MrBling posted:

there is actual video coverage of a Grand PrixMagic Fest happening on the CFB twitch channel right now.

I thought all those had been killed by WOTC.

The only downside is that it's modern

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

I know I'm super jealous lol, gonna spend my whole Saturday afternoon cleaning instead of grinding reps online. To be young again...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I watched a bit, with Gavin commentating. It was ok. SCG has like twice the viewership, which goes to show what a regular schedule will do for you.

Also him explaining oko saying it went through tonnes of changes is even more damning of their process than I was expecting. It means you were constsntly evaluating it yet still ended up somewhere completely off the charts.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Also him explaining oko saying it went through tonnes of changes is even more damning of their process than I was expecting. It means you were constsntly evaluating it yet still ended up somewhere completely off the charts.

This has got to be a lie. Even +2/+0, +1/+1, or +1/+0 on the first two abilities made it too weak? lmao

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Realistically, how many games do you think playtesting gets to do with any one card. 100 games? 1,000 games?

How many games would you need to sit down with Oko, Elking your opponents permanents and just ignoring their game plans entirely, before you think “nah this isn’t good enough”?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Do you have a rough vod timestamp?

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

This has got to be a lie. Even +2/+0, +1/+1, or +1/+0 on the first two abilities made it too weak? lmao

It went through tons of changes doesn't mean they're small iterative changes focused on getting the balance exactly right. What we've heard in the past is that it was far more about the stealing stuff ability and got a big change away from that at the end when they played with it and it was miserable.

Not that they succeeded in making it any less miserable.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Do you have a rough vod timestamp?

Sorry not really, it was in game two or three of the round 3 match of Bw devotion vs 'wet jund'.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

It wasn't much beyond "there were lots of changes"

https://clips.twitch.tv/GorgeousKindFalconAMPEnergy

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Bust Rodd posted:

RUG Oko feat. Urza vs BUG Oko feat. Urza, more like.

urza is stronger than oko

(caveat: oko is better in vintage than urza, but have you seen the cards that are better in vintage than in every other format? poo poo's wild)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the fact that Oko is actually not overwhelmingly busted in modern is proof of what bad shape the format is in. in a land of degenerate combo nonsense he doesn’t do much

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I watched a bit, with Gavin commentating. It was ok. SCG has like twice the viewership, which goes to show what a regular schedule will do for you.
Doing gp coverage once every six months has got to be a "starve the beast" strategy

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Screw oko, is there a timestamp for warp world the best world?

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

ShaneB posted:

Lawson Zandi?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

We never talked about this when it came out in the complete spoiler, but I think it's pretty interesting. It's slow, but a 2 mana card with scry 2 draw 2 is a serious amount of dig and value. I don't know that we're in the right format for it, but there have been formats where I think it'd see play.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

We never talked about this when it came out in the complete spoiler, but I think it's pretty interesting. It's slow, but a 2 mana card with scry 2 draw 2 is a serious amount of dig and value. I don't know that we're in the right format for it, but there have been formats where I think it'd see play.

Imo its limited only. It gets blown out by targeted discard, does not play well with situational/reactive cards and telegraphing your next turn is a huge downside. Not to mention you get the cards on a two turn delay.

Maybe theres a standard combo deck that wants to name opt with this and hope to hit a combo piece? Fair decks have plenty of better ways to generate card advantage though.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It has the upside-downside of telling your opponent what you're going to be doing on the third tick of the saga, but that does allow for :krad: outplays where you name a wrath that you don't have to make your opponent not commit into it and then just play a blocker instead

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

The issue is that you telegraph your next turn and you need something proactive to name in the first place. And it takes forever to actually get that value. Then again naming opt mitigates that a lot. It could definitely see play but the instant speed draw x/counter might be good enough to displace it.

I really like the design though, it has a push and pull in deck building between reactive/proactive, tempo vs value, etc. Plus all the mill going around disrupts the scry. And all these useless last chapters are basically to make them play better with devotion and doom foretold I guess? There's a ton going on in this card.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yes

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Reminder that if you go top-top with the Scry 2 from Chapter 1, you get to name a card you haven't even drawn yet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
https://twitter.com/basicmountain/status/1216080581269737472?s=21

drat. Takes brass balls to put your families well being on the line to chase the gaming industry career. I would never have the courage.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of DWD and Eternal in general, I wonder why Arena never implemented the asynchronous drafting that worked very well in that game instead of bots

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

ungulateman posted:

It has the upside-downside of telling your opponent what you're going to be doing on the third tick of the saga, but that does allow for :krad: outplays where you name a wrath that you don't have to make your opponent not commit into it and then just play a blocker instead
Or name a counterspell and play your poo poo, just to dare your opponent into that value play.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yawgmoth posted:

Or name a counterspell and play your poo poo, just to dare your opponent into that value play.

"this turn"

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Koirhor posted:

Speaking of DWD and Eternal in general, I wonder why Arena never implemented the asynchronous drafting that worked very well in that game instead of bots

The concept of wheeling was considered too important is my guess.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lone Goat posted:

"this turn"
So do you just not get how bluffing works or what?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Yawgmoth posted:

This is sort of an interesting bluff but you have to like.. put your opponent on a counterspell of their own and then try and resolve a spell on the next turn while also holding up mana for a counterspell that you don't have. And then if your opponent does call your bluff you essentially get 3 for 1'd. And if they don't have the counterspell you're just giving away value

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Wezlar posted:

This is sort of an interesting bluff but you have to like.. put your opponent on a counterspell of their own and then try and resolve a spell on the next turn while also holding up mana for a counterspell that you don't have. And then if your opponent does call your bluff you essentially get 3 for 1'd. And if they don't have the counterspell you're just giving away value
Yeah, it's not something you'd do a whole lot and it'd require you to know your opponent a bit. It's definitely asking for a blowout for someone either way.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yawgmoth posted:

what's to stop you from saying I HABE A CONTERSPLELL :wink: every turn, without this card in play?

do YOU just not get how bluffing works?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

what's to stop you from saying I HABE A CONTERSPLELL :wink: every turn, without this card in play?

This is putting 2 cards on the line, though. It's like toxxing your counterspell.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lone Goat posted:

It's only a bluff if it actually costs you when your opponent calls it. Otherwise it's just a freeroll.

That said, it's not a very good bluff here - your opponent will be wondering why you didn't just name the first spell you were going to cast, and thus get the cards anyway regardless of whether they try to counter it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

What does this word actually mean in a gaming context?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Wafflecopper posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAIQ68snVMw

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

originally it's a fancy way of saying 'overcentralising' - a game 'degenerates' to the point where the only strategy is to Do the Thing, and Doing the Thing isn't fun or interesting. (mental misstep being a 4x in formats where it's legal is a great example)

what it actually means when anyone says it is these days, is that they don't want to call something 'cancer' or 'aids' because that's not very nice, so they pick a word that conveys the same meaning without the specific connotations of those diseases

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ShaneB posted:

The concept of wheeling was considered too important is my guess.

It’s the only explanation I can think of, unless there are patent issues or something. How the hell they came to the conclusion that wheeling was more important than having actual humans decide picks is beyond me, though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
They implemented bots as a stop-gap solution, and then someone decided that that would be good enough forever and they would never work on anything better.

I'm not joking, that's literally the story, as told by the guy that wrote the bots.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
wheeling is essential to mtg drafts imo

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Sampatrick posted:

My LGS had 13 players last night so they ran it as one pod. :psyduck: I'd have split it into a 7 and 6, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

Wheeling is good but not at the cost of everyone wheeling the exact same cards cause they're all exploiting the same AI in the same predictable way leading to 75% of matches being mirror matches of the same archetype you drafted the last dozen times.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 12, 2020