Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The war in Naruto Part 2 took about 200 chapters (apprixmately under a third of the manga and about half or more of Part 2 in total) and in unvierse was over the span of like 2 maybe 3 days
Naruto & Sasuke have like 4 big power up sequences spread across however many chapters of the "final battle" which in-universe took place over a coupe hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

There's also One Piece. With a great many of the arcs, even the longer ones, a large brunt of them take place within the course of about a day. It's not uncommon for the Straw Hats to step on an island and beat the main villain before the sun goes down. Dressrosa was the most glaring example, with a 102 chapter arc where a majority of it took place sometime in the morning and ended before the sun was even close to setting.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

AtomikKrab posted:

If you bad to doggo, doggo bite back. If you good to doggo and tell him to be a good boi and sit, doggo obeys.

Dog is good.

He's sitting because Garo beat him and told him to sit, and Saitama beat him and told him to sit. The dog was literally abused to force it to respond to commands

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't like thinking about things like that Terror Sweat.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

JamMasterJim posted:

Akagi, and it was actually finished.

Although the stretch from Minefield Mahjong to One Poker was also one night and its like 26 volumes

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

HXH had several episodes dedicated to like a 30s segment.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
To be fair, in HxH the fact that it was only 30 seconds (or however long it was) was actually relevant. All that poo poo going down simultaneously in so little time actually mattered, it wasn't just "yeah this all happened in this amount of time, whatever".

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It helped a lot that hxh was showing the actions of like a dozen+ people in separate groups over the course of 30 seconds

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Bucswabe posted:

It's insane to me that just the raid on the Monster Association is a story that will have taken years to tell over dozens of chapters (and probably multiple seasons of the TV show), all to cover events that take place over, what, like 2 or 3 hours in actual story time?

I don't know if this sort of thing is common in manga/anime by can't think of a precedent in any other story I've ever heard.

That's what happens when there's multiple plot threads to follow and the participants are all at minimum supersonic in their speed and reaction times.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's cheating to bring up any shounen were people fight really. Especially tournament arcs.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the opposite end of the spectrum, in Saint Seiya where everyone can go at Supersonic+ and the anime opens up with the characters dodging bullets, there's a segment that takes 12 hours in-universe and I'm pretty sure that some of those hours (marked by a ticking clock) took less than 30 minutes of screen time.

Edit: The first one shouldn't have taken more than 5 now that I think about it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Elentor posted:

On the opposite end of the spectrum, in Saint Seiya where everyone can go at Supersonic+ and the anime opens up with the characters dodging bullets, there's a segment that takes 12 hours in-universe and I'm pretty sure that some of those hours (marked by a ticking clock) took less than 30 minutes of screen time.

Edit: The first one shouldn't have taken more than 5 now that I think about it.

Saints are as fast as the plot needs them to be. Sure, Gold Saints and our protagonists after a few arcs can go at the speed of light...but you know, we need them out of the way for some good ol' Athena kidnapping or jobbing of a minor character (see: Aldebaran), so now they are extremely slow until we get to a fight scene.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Watching Saitama actually enjoy himself never fails to delight. lol at the grunt monster thinking he can just kill a Class-S by tossing him off a cliff.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
And then deciding not to because man, that's a long way down :allears:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Lots of time to regret your decision. The risk of that is arguably worse than the certainty of death.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

And then deciding not to because man, that's a long way down :allears:

Similarly, I'm enjoying the shear absurdity of the size of the Monster Association HQ. In the fights with Rover and Orochi, it's shown to be somewhere on the order of 100+ floors and probably as wide as several city blocks.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I like to imagine Saitama accidentally did most of the excavating for the Monster Association when he chased that mole monster way back when

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
RE: Short times represented by lots of pages I wonder where Flashy Flash vs Ninjas fall on that scale. That's one chapter taking place over at most a second.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

CharlestonJew posted:

I like to imagine Saitama accidentally did most of the excavating for the Monster Association when he chased that mole monster way back when

Orochi: we took over this place from the molemen when Underground King died in mysterious circumstances. Quite fortunate, really, we could never have hoped to scratch his body tempered by pressures at the centre of the earth.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Elfface posted:

Orochi: we took over this place from the molemen when Underground King died in mysterious circumstances. Quite fortunate, really, we could never have hoped to scratch his body tempered by pressures at the centre of the earth.

Been a while, is this an exact quote? Cause UK, being a peer of the other Kings, is nowhere near any of the Dragons.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

skaianDestiny posted:

Been a while, is this an exact quote? Cause UK, being a peer of the other Kings, is nowhere near any of the Dragons.

:thejoke:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sea King: Now that those murderous tyrants, the molepeople, have lead themselves to ruin, we can finally take over the lands as well!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Sky King: Now that the Underground, Sea and Ancient Kings are dead it's time for the Sky People to take over the world. Wait is that UFO aggh.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

The Human King would be Pig God imo

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

graham cracker posted:

The Human King would be Pig God imo

Wouldn't it just be King?

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
King is the King of Kings (King King)

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Fantastic Flyer posted:

King is the King of Kings (King King)

Look upon my high score, ye Mighty and despair.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sky King: Now that the Underground, Sea and Ancient Kings are dead it's time for the Sky People to take over the world. Wait is that UFO aggh.

Wait, who was Ancient King?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, who was Ancient King?

Not!Godzilla that Tatsumaki dropped a rock on in the anime. Got canonized to the manga with the latest chapter.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

skaianDestiny posted:

Not!Godzilla that Tatsumaki dropped a rock on in the anime. Got canonized to the manga with the latest chapter.

Speaking of which... did you interpret that scene as her having conjured the meteor out of nothing? That's how I first saw it (as an anime-only guy), but after knowing the rest of the story from reading the manga, it doesn't really fit with her established powers.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Bucswabe posted:

Speaking of which... did you interpret that scene as her having conjured the meteor out of nothing? That's how I first saw it (as an anime-only guy), but after knowing the rest of the story from reading the manga, it doesn't really fit with her established powers.

She pulled it out of space.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Bucswabe posted:

She just yoinked a nearby floating rock

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Meme Emulator posted:

She just yoinked a nearby floating rock

Nearby is relative.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

Nearby is relative.

Mass and resistance don't exist in space so psychic powers go forever.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
A lot of heroes deal with problems by blasting them into low orbit. Tatsumaki turns them into solutions.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
https://mangadex.org/chapter/789155/1

New chapter is up!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Edna Mode was right.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
:stonk:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, Flashy Flash actually cared for his safety for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

RIP gold